Favorite Food To Eat But Don't Know How To Make/Too Lazy To Make?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
For me it's that actual homemade spaghetti and meatballs (actually the meatballs) with real homemade sauce.

My other food that I love are tacos. I always buy them from Taco Bell. By far the best quick and cheap portable food out there, except for now when you can die from them. Del Taco is a decent alternative at best. Need a bit of hot sauce, but not bad. They're chicken tacos though are great. Fish Tacos go to Rubios. And all of these I'd love to be able to make on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong. i've done these before, but am just too lazy to do it all the time.

Most of mine would be deserts.

Tiramisu
Eclairs
Chocolate Pie
cannoli

All of those :drool: but I don't feel like making them. I have no problem making any entree I like but its always those damned deserts are so time consuming.

Viet food from vietnam

Sometimes i would have no idea what i was eating but it was so good. i cant find anywhere here in jersey that is the equivlent to what i had their. Their Pho is also better than most of the places here....boy i wish i could go back for a visit.

Deserts are tough for me, cookies or brownies I can do, but things like flan (tried it once)

Sushi I would love to make but I'm too scared and I suspect to get fish that's fresh enough it won't be any cheaper at home (if I can find it easily at all)

And last, bbq, if I ever have a house I would love to make a little pit in the backyard, but that wont be for a while and there are great places everywhere now that I'm in the south.

[quote name='CitizenB']Most of mine would be deserts.

Tiramisu
Eclairs
Chocolate Pie
cannoli

All of those :drool: but I don't feel like making them. I have no problem making any entree I like but its always those damned deserts are so time consuming.[/quote]

If you start getting used to making tirimisu you can pretty much have it done in less than ten minutes, which isn't half bad. The only problem is that, for the best flavor, you have to then let it chill in the fridge for a while and, hey, nobody likes waiting to eat a finished product. ;)

Cannolis are the same way as well since there's really not that much to them, but the problem really stems from the shells themselves. If you make the shells yourself it takes a good amount of additional time but it ends up being madly inexpensive. If you end up buying the premade shells you may as well just buy some finished cannoli's and save time!

Personally, I'm having hard times preparing shrimp but that's primarily because it's not only pricey around here but getting decent shrimp is one hell of an ordeal. The bagged, frozen variety are usually prohibitively expensive while the previously frozen ones in the seafood aisle are slightly better but they sit there so long and absorb the flavors of all of the other fish and scallops that it's more like eating a seafood medly rather than shrimp no matter how you prep and cook them.

I also gravely miss making my own chicken and turkey but, damn, are costs insane around here. $6 for a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts one week but, if there's a sale, it goes down to $1.50 a pound? Whuzuh? Oh well, at least drumsticks tend to be sickeningly cheap and easy to marinate. ;)

The cheese chili releno at on the border
that is the food of the gods

Its a big chili pepper i think stuffed with cheese then dipped in batter and quick fried so its not too greasy

Definitely Pho... My mom explained how to make it a couple of times, but damn it is a lot of work. So I blame my laziness for not even trying.

puff pastry - But you can buy it frozen. I assume it's just as good as if you make it yourself, but I'll never know. Way way too long and involved to make that yourself.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Definitely Pho... My mom explained how to make it a couple of times, but damn it is a lot of work. So I blame my laziness for not even trying.[/quote]

Pho rocks! :D

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] I always buy them from Taco Bell.[/QUOTE]

We will all go to your feneral.

Tacos and desserts. I agree it's easy going to Taco Bell and getting it there compared to even getting a Taco kit with the shells, seasoning. It's time consuming.

Cakes and cookies aren't too bad if you use a mix or get the cookie dough that you just put on a sheet and place it in the oven but from scratch, it's also time consuming.

i can make a pretty mean sweet cornbread but i hate all the work that goes into it. and my fave food i dont know how to make is general tso's chicken. that stuff is so damn good but ive seen how much work goes into it and id never gt it right.

For me it would Akki and Saltfish/Codfish with dumplings. You have boil the Akki sometines seeing how it could be poisinous and the Saltfish must be boiled or else you will get that ugly salty flavor. The dumplings is pretty easy but it is alot of work to make a fulll pot. Lastly when cooking the meal itself you can be healthy or unhealthy. I prefer no oil which is better but harder to cook.

Baklava and fudge. I love baking things like cookies and cakes and things like that from scratch, but anything that requires me to boil things to a certain temperature always sounds like too much effort to me.

General Tso's Chicken

Which, interestingly, my Chinese friends tell me isn't even made in China. It's apparently a completely American creation. Not sure if they're messing with me or not, but I found that to be a goofy little factoid...

Any Cajun food. I absolutely love it but since I'm in Minnesota its not very plentiful around here and I suck at cooking anything that doesn't come in a box. Perhaps I should go to college in New Orleans? Nah.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Any Cajun food. I absolutely love it but since I'm in Minnesota its not very plentiful around here and I suck at cooking anything that doesn't come in a box. Perhaps I should go to college in New Orleans? Nah.[/quote]

New Orleans is NOT I repeat NOT THE PLACE FOR CAJUN FOOD... Thats creole.

Lasagna. Making it is a pain in the ass, you need to boil water, then noodles, which takes forever, then you need to make the sauce, the meat if needed, grate the cheese, put the shit all together, and then bake it for about half a day it seems. That's one thing I love about going to my moms for the holidays, the home cooking.

[quote name='Mr Eff']General Tso's Chicken

Which, interestingly, my Chinese friends tell me isn't even made in China. It's apparently a completely American creation. Not sure if they're messing with me or not, but I found that to be a goofy little factoid...[/QUOTE]

Most of the food you eat in America thats "ethic" really isn't unless it made by a person that still has their national accent, or someones grandma.

Our Italian, Mexican, and Chinese etc are, and should be followed by American.

You eat at olive garden you've eaten Italian-American food. The food may originate from Italy. But Italians in Italy aren't walking into a joint asking for Meatballs, and 4 gallons of sauce on their penne. Chinese people aren't eating Orange beef with fried rice and 7up.

What I'm saying is the people brought over food from the homeland. However it has to be americanized because they can't find all of those regional food items from their homeland here. in the states.

I'm sure a certain someone will call me stupid for saying this, but I love Olive Garden. I don't give a flying fuck about it's authenticity, it's the only place where I will willingly eat bread and salad. Damn that shit is good.

Egg Foo Yung definately. i tried it once.....boy was that a disaster. i cant even make gravy lol. im a better cook now though. im sure i could do it better if i tried it again cause that was a couple years ago last i tried to make it. but yea thats my favorite "i dont make it" dish. get it almost everytime i eat chinese "Shrimp Egg Foo Yung please, and can i get that with Fried Rice"

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm sure a certain someone will call me stupid for saying this, but I love Olive Garden. I don't give a flying fuck about it's authenticity, it's the only place where I will willingly eat bread and salad. Damn that shit is good.[/QUOTE]

As long as you (VG) like something better then fast food then you get praises in my book.
Sadly I've eaten at restaurants that were supposed to be high class, and the Chicken Parm I got from Olive Garden was better.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Lasagna. Making it is a pain in the ass, you need to boil water, then noodles, which takes forever, then you need to make the sauce, the meat if needed, grate the cheese, put the shit all together, and then bake it for about half a day it seems. That's one thing I love about going to my moms for the holidays, the home cooking.[/QUOTE]

You can save a little bit of time by using oven-ready lasagna noodles (no boiling required). You still have to do all the other stuff (sauce, meat, cheese, etc.), though.

For me, I'm going to have to vote for pizza. I make it from scratch, and I like it so much that now I can't find many restaurants whose pizza I like as much mine. It's not that the pizza at restaurants is bad; it's just that I like mine a certain way. The problem is that I haven't found any restaurants in the area in which I'm living whose pizza I like that much, and making pizza is so time consuming that I don't do it very often, so I don't have pizza much at all.

I miss living across the street from an Italian deli like I did in grad school; not only was their food good, but also they had a lot of great ingredients (fresh mozzarella and good meatballs especially) that I could use on my pizza.

[quote name='CitizenB']Most of the food you eat in America thats "ethic" really isn't unless it made by a person that still has their national accent, or someones grandma.

Our Italian, Mexican, and Chinese etc are, and should be followed by American.

You eat at olive garden you've eaten Italian-American food. The food may originate from Italy. But Italians in Italy aren't walking into a joint asking for Meatballs, and 4 gallons of sauce on their penne. Chinese people aren't eating Orange beef with fried rice and 7up.

What I'm saying is the people brought over food from the homeland. However it has to be americanized because they can't find all of those regional food items from their homeland here. in the states.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you and I know some places are worse than others. I don't like the one's that go off the deep end in improvisation, Asian joints that feel a bit Pop Culturish with their spin on it.
In terms of answering the question I can't say I've found much now since I've gone Vegan and haven't yet ventured much outside in terms of experimenting and making a wide range of recipes to really develop a favorite that's hard to prepare to respond to this. Soz. I WILL however list a cookbook that makes me wanna throw my hands up at cooking anything in it which is the Vegan Mediterranean Cookbook. Most things in that motherfucker are time consuming, I kid you not.

chin jiu chickien, its the chefs special and its the bomb, i have no idea what they use to give it that flavor, but man i wish i did

[quote name='Sarang01']I WILL however list a cookbook that makes me wanna throw my hands up at cooking anything in it which is the Vegan Mediterranean Cookbook. Most things in that motherfucker are time consuming, I kid you not.[/QUOTE]

Fun fact: Hunk of beef (sirloin steak) 4 mins a side. Give up the vegan thing alright ;)

[quote name='Mr Eff']General Tso's Chicken

Which, interestingly, my Chinese friends tell me isn't even made in China. It's apparently a completely American creation. Not sure if they're messing with me or not, but I found that to be a goofy little factoid...[/quote]

no theyre telling you the truth. alot of what we in america consider to be chinese food isnt at all. its more of a conglomeration of diff styles a types of food mny of which come from necessity and ease of preparation like the sandwhich or hamburger. real chinese food is alot diff than what you get at many restauurants but i still love american chinese food. chow mein too.

which reminds me another food i like but could never make is the stuff you get at those ghengis kahn grills. best food ever. you get all these diff types of meats and veggies you pile it up and then add your own custom sauce you create from diff things and then they cook it on this huge grille dealy with noodles and you eat it with hoisin sauce and you wrap it in this kind of really thin pancake thing. definelty worth trying if yoube never had it.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm sure a certain someone will call me stupid for saying this, but I love Olive Garden. I don't give a flying fuck about it's authenticity, it's the only place where I will willingly eat bread and salad. Damn that shit is good.[/quote]

yeah that dressing they use is like crack but theyre stingy with the parmsean. and of course since they grate it at your table for you you get self conscious that you want too much and at some point theyre goign to say ok no more cheese for you.

[quote name='vietgurl']banh la chao tom nem nuong
tiramisu
carne asada fries

i can probably go on but it'd end up making me too hungry[/QUOTE]

wow i missed that one too... i also havent found a good place that serves a good banh bao hue.

[quote name='CitizenB']Fun fact: Hunk of beef (sirloin steak) 4 mins a side. Give up the vegan thing alright ;)[/QUOTE]

I know you're joking but I'd rather my body not put extra stress on itself in the process of digesting the more complex proteins which meat and animal by-products are. Besides most things can be Veganized quite to one's satisfaction.
Besides there's one extra benefit to being Vegan in general. Vegans taste best. :D

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it use to be sushi, but I educated myself over the past month and know easily how to do it.[/QUOTE]
California Rolls FTW. I've been dreaming of those for like a week.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Definitely Pho... My mom explained how to make it a couple of times, but damn it is a lot of work. So I blame my laziness for not even trying.[/quote]

I had a Pho thread on CAG back in the day... it's challenging to make. I've never fig'd it out.

bread's done
Back