Former Xbox fanboy needs GC game advice

Johnny Postman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
187 (100%)
Finally getting the cube next week when the Metroid bundle arrives and am hoping for some good recommendations.

Two obvious games even I know to get are Windwaker and Prime but I want to take advantage of EB's Player's Choice deal and grab some quality older stuff. A few from the list that catch my eye are Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Resident Evil/RE:Zero, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros, Super Monkey Ball, Rogue Leader 2 and Star Fox Adventures.

Also any Cube exclusive titles that should be on my "must-have" list?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Those two are the most important ones, now make sure you get a few other key titles, most of which are mentioned!

Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros (! ! !), Viewtiful Joe, that kind of thing. You've got a good lineup so far.

Animal Crossing is extremely addicting, i played it every day for like 4 months. Smash Bros is good for multiplayer but if you dont have anyone to play with it gets old fast.

[quote name='Johnny Postman'] but I want to take advantage of EB's Player's Choice deal and grab some quality older stuff.[/quote] What deal is that?

Definitely try to score a cheap Pikmin . . . one of my favs!
The Rogue Leader 2 is excellent, and so is Super Monkey Ball.

Mario Kart Double Dash is a winner.

I'd hold off on Luigi's Mansion . . . good but not great.

Oops.. fine print states only Players Choice games at $19.99 qualify.

Sticky PC list at top doesn't state prices.. anyone know what wouldn't qualify offhand?

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Right now EB has Player's Choice games at 2 for $30 cash or for 3 trade-ins. I've still got some CC games so it comes out to $15 for 2 games.[/quote]I'm pretty sure that it's only select Playes Choice games and none of them are the $30 games so you can't get Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros. Melee, etc.

Enjoy Metroid Prime, one of the best games this gen. As others have suggested get Eternal Darkness and Pikmin. Also if you haven't played these third party games get BG&E PoP and Freedom Fighters.

I think you have plenty of suggestions to get your collection going. Once you get a few games I would highly recommend getting a Wavebird controller. Unless you're a stickler about having the rumble feature this is the best wireless controller you can get.

[quote name='johnnyoski']I think you have plenty of suggestions to get your collection going. Once you get a few games I would highly recommend getting a Wavebird controller. Unless you're a stickler about having the rumble feature this is the best wireless controller you can get.[/quote]

Shoot forgot about the wavebird, best cube purchase you can make right there.

I would stay away from Star Fox Adventures - very dissapointing in my oppinion. RE01 and RE0 are great, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine. I never got into Rogue Leader or Monkey Ball much. You should try to find Viewtiful Joe, I bought it when it was $30 and is one of them I still play the most.

I'd skip Rogue Leader and get Rogue Strike instead (should be able to find it for about the same price). Better 2-player IMO. Skies of Arcadia, as mentioned before, is also an excellent choice.

Also, may want to pick up a copy of Phantasy Star Online I&II PLUS when it comes out in a few weeks.

I agree with what a lot of others have posted. Metroid Prime, Monkey Ball 1&2, Vietiful Joe, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing are tops of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. I didn't care for Luigi's Mansion personally.

Pikmin is awesome. I also enjoyed Star Wars Rebel Strike 2. 3 sucked.

Mario Party 4 and Super Monkey Ball 2 are great multiplayer games.

I bought Luigi's Mansion for $20, played through twice and then traded it in. I enjoyed it - it's short but a unique experience.

Enternal Darkness is a great exclusive title for gamecube and can be had for very cheap.

Soul Calibur 2 is also an excellent title with the addition of Link as playable making it the best of the three choices.

Super Mario Sunshine I think is very under rated. I really enjoyed this game and highly recommend it to Mario fans.

Timesplitters 2 I also thought was best done on the Gamecube. IMO the best FPS available. The Controls are perfect!

Beach Spikers is the best Volleyball game on any system and has great 4-player action.

the mario parties suck on gcn and you could get soul calibur II if you want..and everyone already suggested so go with thsoe .. and welcome to the gcn world :wink:

My must have list is a lot of repeats from what other people have said.

Tales of Symphonia
Mario Kart DD
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Eternal Darkness
Pac-Man Vs. if you have a GBA and 4 people
Metroid Prime
Super Smash Brothers
Zelda Four Swords

Thanks for all the advice guys. First Nintendo system since NES but I'm glad I finally got the Cube (picked it up yesterday.) As a way to say thanks, if anyone needs a couple Registration pin #'s (1080 and FF:CC) I got from a buddy at GameCrazy, give a reply. Dibs to those who posted a reply above.

One thing I noticed.. no platinum controllers for sale anyplace.. did they ever sell these individually? Everyone seems to love the wavebird and I picked up a couple but would like to get one more regular as well.

Got a start on my GC collection and with all the great deals going on lately, now have...

Platinum Gamecube (Metroid Prime bundle)
2 Platinum Wavebirds
Animal Crossing
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero GX
Ikaruga
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Simpson's Hit & Run
Starfox Adventures
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball 2
Timesplitters 2
Viewtiful Joe
Zoocube

Next on list to get is a memory card, component cables, Zelda: WW, Mario Sunshine, Double Dash and Zelda collector's edition (fond memories of the original.) Does Nintendo still offer the collector's edition or is only way to get one now via Ebay?

Total cost so far $126.10 - thanks to CAG

Pikmin sucks, and is made worse by the limited time.

Pikmin 2 should be better, it can't be worse.

You need Animal Crossing, the most pointless game you will never put down.

They have Platium Wavebirds at Toys R Us, until they stop selling toys, hehe.

Pikmin is the biggest waste, I rented it and three hours later returned it.

I also hate ED, most over rated GC game ever. Wow it has a good story and the graphics are fine, but camra sucks and the gameplay is boring and repetitive.

Platinum Wavebird Controllers have been out for awhile, I would buy those.

I know it's hard to believe SupremeNN but here's the breakdown...

System $.91
2 Wavebirds $.15 ea
Ikaruga $19.99
Simpsons Hit & Run $9.99
Starfox Adventures $9.99
Resident Evil $7.49
Pikmin $7.48
RE Zero $9.99
Rogue Leader $.10
Animal Crossing $12.47
SMB 2 $7.49
F-Zero $7.48
Viewtiful Joe $4.99
Timesplitters 2 $4.99
Zoocube $4.99
Eternal Darkness $9.96
Luigi's Mansion $7.49

total $126.10.. off course I forgot the sales tax so add $12. :)

Do not get Animal Crossing, yea its cool, but its the biggest waste of time and youll probably regret playing it, at least I did. Im not saying its a bad game, but why play it when there is alot better stuff to play that is more entertaining.

I am in the same boat as thread starter

Think ill go to local gamestore where u pay $1 a hour to play on a system with the games they got

Want a cube mainly for zelda metroit and mario tennis/dd

[quote name='Johnny Postman']I know it's hard to believe SupremeNN but here's the breakdown...

System $.91
2 Wavebirds $.15 ea
Ikaruga $19.99
Simpsons Hit & Run $9.99
Starfox Adventures $9.99
Resident Evil $7.49
Pikmin $7.48
RE Zero $9.99
Rogue Leader $.10
Animal Crossing $12.47
SMB 2 $7.49
F-Zero $7.48
Viewtiful Joe $4.99
Timesplitters 2 $4.99
Zoocube $4.99
Eternal Darkness $9.96
Luigi's Mansion $7.49

total $126.10.. off course I forgot the sales tax so add $12. :)[/quote]

errr... a 91 cent gamecube, heh that would be pretty cool. Howd you get all those games so cheap?

Let's see...

System, Wavebirds and Rogue Leader all from GameCrazy via trading in TRU penny guides.

Ikaruga from TRU.

Simpsons and Starfox from BB.

Eternal Darkness and $4.99 games from CC.

Animal Crossing from Disc Replay (was opened but unplayed w/ memory card).

RE: Zero from FYE.

All the 7.49/7.48 games from EB via trade 3/get 2 PC deal (used junk CC titles).

Just ordered the component cables from Nintendo so add another $37 to the total.

You might want to get to Toys R US soon because you can find a lot of good gamecube games like Rebel Strike, Monkeyball, and Pac Man World 2/Vs for $10. Also, I would get the second Pikmin over the first because of the annoying time constraint.

If you wouldn't mind could I have one of those PIN #'s I only need one more to get the disc.

Would I want Rebel Strike already having Rogue Leader? Much of a difference? Same question for SMB vs SMB2.

As for Pacman Vs... I thought is what only worth getting with 4 GBA's/cables for the multiplay?

PM'd with Pin #, bballplaya.

Technique, Most GameCrazys give $1 credit for used guides although they usually have a cap on total # of used guides they will keep in stock. Also they frown on taking more than one guide for each game.

Animal crossing will consume your SOUL for at least three months... you WILL rush home (driving like a maniac) to get into Nooks store on time (and god help you if its the end of the month...)

[quote name='pumbaa']Animal crossing will consume your SOUL for at least three months... you WILL rush home (driving like a maniac) to get into Nooks store on time (and god help you if its the end of the month...)[/quote]

LOL yeah I know what you mean. That game is so fun yet so pointless.

bread's done
Back