(FREE) ECA Membership, Amazon Codes are down for time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldgsl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers. Codes aren't available at the moment, unknown ETA when/if they'll be back.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

(Free memberships available, see below.)

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='dallascowboys']If you use the code GIMAG on theeca.com (found in an article of the new Crackdown GI issue), you can receive a free, full 1 year membership (I think it's only for new accounts). You do need a credit card to sign up, but if you cancel before the 1 year is up, you won't be charged. This is a great deal for the free amazon discount. Be sure to use the coupon soon, because the article doesn't mention the expiration for the coupon.

Enjoy guys!
dallascowboys

P.S. Now all of CAG can have an ECA membership!

Also, after you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

-----------------------

LinkinPrime Edit:

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slickkill77']You weren't kidding. Ok I found this on page 28. All credit goes to jacknicklson for the original faq (1-6).

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

http://betterelevation.com/2009/02/1...old-box-trick/
This should be a basis to get it to work for whatever you are interested in. It is not a science though so be persistent.

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per game. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You can not add a anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jacknicklson']If people choose to sign up and not read then there is nothing to complain about or feel entitled to.

1. Description of ECA Services. Each Member is entitled to receive discounts and other benefits on specified entertainment-related and other products and services offered by participating vendors ("Benefits").
    1. All Benefits, including, without limitation, a then current listing of participating vendors, are included in the ECA Service membership package emailed to all Members and accessible online at www.ECAmembership.com (the "Benefits Website"). To access Benefits or information related to Benefits or the ECA Service from the Benefits Website, a Member will be required to enter his or her ECA registered email address and password.
    2. Discounts and other Benefits available to Members are based upon negotiated group discounts from participating vendor's usual and customary fees, or on national or regional fees for such Product. A Member's actual savings and benefits will vary depending upon Member's location in the United States and the specific Benefit. Discounts and other Benefits available to Members may not be combined with discounts from any other discount program.
    3. All Benefits are subject to discontinuation, change, modification, improvement or substitution without notice and ECA makes no representations or warranties with respect to, and accepts no responsibility or liability for, out of date or erroneous information related thereto.
    4. ECA has negotiated with the providers of Benefits in an attempt to acquire the best possible products, services and discounts for its members.
    5. The membership fee for the ECA Service includes $19.99 (non-refundable) payable for the Member's annual subscription to the Benefits Website.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but hiding behind "you should've read the user agreement" is sort of bullcrap. The Amazon discount was a huge reason, if not the only reason, that many people signed up for the ECA. In fact, the ECA even advertised it as such by saying "Just buying 3+ games a year pays for the membership." In fact, even though it's not working now, it STILL says that.

If you advertise that, and then it goes away, I think people have a right to feel angry about that. ECA knows this is a major reason why people are paying them (or signing up for free memberships, something that's annoying but I'm not actually angry about.)

Is this the end of the world? No, of course not... but it is frustrating to pay for a service that you expect to have only to discover that you don't have it.

Just FYI today I bought the video game deal of the day, Red Faction Guerrilla for 360 via textbuy and it gave me an automatic 10% discount... didn't know why this happened but didn't complain.

I read the last couple pages and didn't see an answer to this so I'll risk getting flamed with "Read the fucking thread".

How long does it usually take the codes to come back up? I signed up for ECA about a month ago and haven't actually used had the chance to use one of these codes yet. I was going to finally put my order in for Uncharted 2 today when I found the codes are down. Any chance they'll be back up before Tuesday?

[quote name='PvtChurch']I read the last couple pages and didn't see an answer to this so I'll risk getting flamed with "Read the fucking thread".

How long does it usually take the codes to come back up? I signed up for ECA about a month ago and haven't actually used had the chance to use one of these codes yet. I was going to finally put my order in for Uncharted 2 today when I found the codes are down. Any chance they'll be back up before Tuesday?[/QUOTE]

I think that's really anyone's guess at this point . . . In the past, they've come back within anywhere from a few hours to at most a week, but those were entirely different circumstances. Those times, they had simply run out of codes and just had to wait for Amazon to supply more. Since this time Amazon actually has to figure out what they're going to do about the stacking issue and implement any necessary changes to fix it, it may take longer. Or it may not. They'll be back when they're back, basically.

Good news, guys, (read past the bad news) straight from the horses' mouth:

The bad news is that it's going to take a few days later to get the new batch of codes this time (maybe Friday/Monday), which is still faster than it used to be. The good news is that Amazon is working on the much-wished-for unique multi-use codes! Hooray!

i don't really see how you can be angry at ECA for not having the codes up at the moment, seeing as how Amazon is the one that creates the codes and gives them to ECA, and Amazon is the one that requested the codes be down, so ECA is waiting on Amazon.

[quote name='leshrac55']I'm sorry, but hiding behind "you should've read the user agreement" is sort of bullcrap. The Amazon discount was a huge reason, if not the only reason, that many people signed up for the ECA. In fact, the ECA even advertised it as such by saying "Just buying 3+ games a year pays for the membership." In fact, even though it's not working now, it STILL says that.

If you advertise that, and then it goes away, I think people have a right to feel angry about that. ECA knows this is a major reason why people are paying them (or signing up for free memberships, something that's annoying but I'm not actually angry about.)

Is this the end of the world? No, of course not... but it is frustrating to pay for a service that you expect to have only to discover that you don't have it.[/QUOTE]

except you're not paying the fee for the amazon discount, you're paying the fee to be a member of the eca, the benefits of which are clearly subject to change. Blaming the eca for amazon's actions against unscrupulous people is foolhardy.

[quote name='Justin42']Good news, guys, (read past the bad news) straight from the horses' mouth:

The bad news is that it's going to take a few days later to get the new batch of codes this time (maybe Friday/Monday), which is still faster than it used to be. The good news is that Amazon is working on the much-wished-for unique multi-use codes! Hooray![/QUOTE]

Right-on, good to hear.

Me, me, me, me, me, me.....are you guys seriously bitching about ECA providing discounts?!?!

A god damn broken record. ENOUGH!

Amazon is fixing it to protect their business....I DON'T BLAME THEM with triple stacking codes, placing orders one day and canceling the next, along with some of you guys placing multiple orders of the same thing for who knows what reason.

When you signed up, you signed up with the understanding you would receive 10% off...not 20%...not 30%...it's become god damn ridiculous. What business can survive on selling games at 30% discount....NONE....would you? The issue never was about an influx of Amazon accounts using ONE CODE AT A TIME...that's what Amazon wanted in order to broaden themselves as an outlet for buying new video games.

Their working on it on both ends...you'd know that if those bickering cared to look into it. They SHOULDN'T bring it back UNTIL it's fixed and all these god damn loopholes are taken care of and it is a good business tool for both sides. I'm pretty god damn sure the intention wasn't to give 20 & 30% off games.

Mods should start permabanning people bitching about free vs. paid and folks who are complaining about the lack of codes like they do those begging for codes...that's not this thread's intention.

Shit happens, get over it...some of you guys are gonna make the Amazon deal more trouble than it's worth to either party and then what will you complain about?

Kuribo's Shoe;6376065]except you're not paying the fee for the amazon discount said:
I really wish people would stop making this argument. Nobody here is paying $20 a year so they can support the ECA's activities. If Amazon offered a frequent buyer's card for $20 a year which gave 10% off, we would all buy that instead. Yes, you're right that the ECA can change their benefits at any time, but people joined solely based on their offer to provide Amazon codes and their advertised promise that it was possible to essentially recoup your $20 by saving on games for the year. If you and everyone else who allegely really cares about the ECA wants to prove it, why don't you stop taking codes once they come back to prove how hardcore you really are or make a substantial financial contribution to the ECA to support whatever activities they are allegedly doing on the behalf of gamers.

Amen, brother.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Me, me, me, me, me, me.....are you guys seriously bitching about ECA providing discounts?!?!

Amazon is fixing it to protect their business....I DON'T BLAME THEM with triple stacking codes, placing orders one day and canceling the next, along with some of you guys placing multiple orders of the same thing for who knows what reason.

When you signed up, you signed up with the understanding you would receive 10% off...not 20%...not 30%...it's become god damn ridiculous. What business can survive on selling games at 30% discount....NONE....would you? The issue never was about an influx of Amazon accounts using ONE CODE AT A TIME...that's what Amazon wanted in order to broaden themselves as an outlet for buying new video games.

Their working on it on both ends...you'd know that if those bickering cared to look into it. They SHOULDN'T bring it back UNTIL it's fixed and all these god damn loopholes are taken care of and it is a good business tool for both sides. I'm pretty god damn sure the intention wasn't to give 20 & 30% off games.

Mods should start permabanning people bitching about free vs. paid and folks who are complaining about the lack of codes like they do those begging for codes...that's not this thread's intention.

Shit happens, get over it...some of you guys are gonna make the Amazon deal more trouble than it's worth to either party and then what will you complain about?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Justin42']Good news, guys, (read past the bad news) straight from the horses' mouth:

The bad news is that it's going to take a few days later to get the new batch of codes this time (maybe Friday/Monday), which is still faster than it used to be. The good news is that Amazon is working on the much-wished-for unique multi-use codes! Hooray![/QUOTE]

Saw that message on my twitter feed. Good to hear that the codes are coming back with possible multi use. :applause:

[quote name='bojay1997']I really wish people would stop making this argument. Nobody here is paying $20 a year so they can support the ECA's activities. If Amazon offered a frequent buyer's card for $20 a year which gave 10% off, we would all buy that instead. Yes, you're right that the ECA can change their benefits at any time, but people joined solely based on their offer to provide Amazon codes and their advertised promise that it was possible to essentially recoup your $20 by saving on games for the year. If you and everyone else who allegely really cares about the ECA wants to prove it, why don't you stop taking codes once they come back to prove how hardcore you really are or make a substantial financial contribution to the ECA to support whatever activities they are allegedly doing on the behalf of gamers.[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='bojay1997']I really wish people would stop making this argument. Nobody here is paying $20 a year so they can support the ECA's activities. If Amazon offered a frequent buyer's card for $20 a year which gave 10% off, we would all buy that instead. Yes, you're right that the ECA can change their benefits at any time, but people joined solely based on their offer to provide Amazon codes and their advertised promise that it was possible to essentially recoup your $20 by saving on games for the year. If you and everyone else who allegely really cares about the ECA wants to prove it, why don't you stop taking codes once they come back to prove how hardcore you really are or make a substantial financial contribution to the ECA to support whatever activities they are allegedly doing on the behalf of gamers.[/QUOTE]

I never said I cared about the ECA, I simply said that the $20 fee was not expressly for an Amazon discount. That is a benefit of the membership. And I think it's perfectly reasonable to advertise a benefit while that benefit is available. Amazon took the codes down, not the ECA, so getting upset at them is still pretty silly.

[quote name='Gorge']Anyone know if the triple stack still works? Like as in canceling your whole order and re-ordering?[/QUOTE]

Wow, you really want to catch a fish with that bait don't you? Lol, this might not end well.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine if you cancel an order with a triple stack, one of the codes will be invalid when you re-order.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on.

Anyone know if the batch just ran out worked like that earlier codes, where if you cancel an order it is still linked to your account?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Anyone know if the batch just ran out worked like that earlier codes, where if you cancel an order it is still linked to your account?[/QUOTE]

No, with the last batch of codes if you cancel an item you lose the code.

good to know. Hope they come back, I want to get forza but I wont buy it without the extra incentive since I'm out of credit. Back to cash.

Is that photo from Kung Fu Hustle? I just watched that last night :D

Oh, and that's awesome if the codes are going to just tie to our accounts now so we don't have to worry about new ones. Geez, if Amazon had a way to trade in games in person, this would be perfect :D

Kuribo's Shoe;6376065]except you're not paying the fee for the amazon discount said:
[quote name='Muthafodder']Me, me, me, me, me, me.....are you guys seriously bitching about ECA providing discounts?!?!

Shit happens, get over it...some of you guys are gonna make the Amazon deal more trouble than it's worth to either party and then what will you complain about?

What is this? What is this? People with common sense? Wow...I nearly fainted.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is that photo from Kung Fu Hustle? I just watched that last night :D

Oh, and that's awesome if the codes are going to just tie to our accounts now so we don't have to worry about new ones. Geez, if Amazon had a way to trade in games in person, this would be perfect :D[/QUOTE]

The photo in v4oldboy's sig? If that's what you mean it's from...Oldboy...

If we really have multi-use permanent codes coming I am very excited; although I hate the wait.

Has anyone gotten the free gamefly trial? How did you get it to give you 30 days. There's no code & link brings you to a Gamefly page where it just mentions the standard 10 day trial.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']So basically, the codes are now dead? You can only use them once now? That sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yes, NOW they are dead. On the ECA forums, it's been assured that the discount WILL return and you will be able to use the discount on multiple orders in the future. It will not be a single order, one time use discount.

when the codes come back what's that mean for people who still have old codes applied to our Amazon accounts?

Probably the old codes will be made pointless. They want to fix the stacking, so once the code comes back, you'll probably just use that code. No more stacking, if they fix it... until someone else finds a new exploit.

I'm glad they are tightening up the rules with their discounts, if at least to put a roadblock for exploits. you would think the codes would come back sooner or later but you never know. this is what happens when you give away free memberships and also have people exploiting the codes.

I'm just waiting for the linked account codes to come in, then to see them stacked with old L and J codes for 30% off again!

I apparently joined the ECA right after all the code-exploiting hubris exploded, so no real loss there. But in the meantime, I don't have a single code to use, and of course - Uncharted 2 shows up in my Gold Box today! Dangit!

Oh well, I guess I'll buy it some other time....

Sweet, can't wait to see how they're going to handle this because many exploits come to mind.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, any way you slice it they are idiots for giving away a one-year free trial. 30 days would have been plenty. Hell, I should call Amazon and ask about a free one-year Prime trial.

Pretty sure the rep would die of laughter.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about that... at least the people i talked to on amazon..

i ordered a video game that was to come out SEPT 22... for 29.99

well the game said out of stock on the 23 and called them up and they go

The game has been pushed back till SEPT 29 and for your troubles we weill give you 29.99 credit

Well on sept 30 i called them up to let them know gamestop now has this listed as OCT 27 and it says gamestop only..

they go thank you for your call and for your troubles we will give you 15.00 credit since i did not ship out again..

Well i got another email saying shipping date is TBA so i just cancelled it cause rumor is it will be download only now...

So i ended up getting 45 bucks in amazon credits for spending 0.00 LOL thats almost a free year of prime

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, any way you slice it they are idiots for giving away a one-year free trial. 30 days would have been plenty. Hell, I should call Amazon and ask about a free one-year Prime trial.

Pretty sure the rep would die of laughter.[/QUOTE]

Heck, they gave me a 1 year Prime trial and I didn't even have to ask..

When HD DVD first came out, Amazon had a deal where if you bought 3 HD DVDs, you'd get 10% off all HD discs for a year. Any Blu-ray or HD DVD I put in my cart, when I'd checkout, the 10% was automatically deducted. I don't know why they don't just do something like that.

The best thing is I got the discount WAY longer than a year. I got it well over 2 years.

[quote name='slidecage']I dont know about that... at least the people i talked to on amazon..

i ordered a video game that was to come out SEPT 22... for 29.99

well the game said out of stock on the 23 and called them up and they go

The game has been pushed back till SEPT 29 and for your troubles we weill give you 29.99 credit

Well on sept 30 i called them up to let them know gamestop now has this listed as OCT 27 and it says gamestop only..

they go thank you for your call and for your troubles we will give you 15.00 credit since i did not ship out again..

Well i got another email saying shipping date is TBA so i just cancelled it cause rumor is it will be download only now...

So i ended up getting 45 bucks in amazon credits for spending 0.00 LOL thats almost a free year of prime[/QUOTE]

Errr... didn't you really only get 15, since you never really paid the 29.99 since it never shipped? Even if you did pay the 29.99, they only would have refunded the amount you paid. Unless you are saying they paid you 30 dollars for some reason...

I hope the codes go back up in the next day or so here. I want to pre-order brutal legend (get that $10 credit) before it ships! It'd be nice to get it for $51.70 instead of $57.

Um is there a reason you cant see preorders for games ordered with ECA codes? Amazon says I have no open orders wtf is going on?

The order page messes up sometimes. Right now everything of mine is still showing up, but thanks for the heart attack anyway =P Give it a few hours maybe, contact them if it's still blank.

[quote name='grumpier']Um is there a reason you cant see preorders for games ordered with ECA codes? Amazon says I have no open orders wtf is going on?[/QUOTE]

All of mine are still showing unchanged. You'll probably scare a lot of people but it is just some glitch on your account most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back