Games that flopped, but should have sold millions

[quote name='locutus411']No One Lives Forever 2. A truly great FPS. Cate Archer, how I love you.[/QUOTE]

totally agree with you. I hope FEAR does really well so the NOLF team will take that engine and make a new NOLF game.

also Panzer Dragoon Orta should have done a lot better than it did.

Beyond Good & Evil
Psi-Ops
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Not sure how well it sold, but the sequel sucked)
Freedom Fighters
Max Payne 2 (Only sold okay and it's my 2nd favorite game ever)

Legend of Legaia (Playstation)
Legaia 2 (Playstation 2)

I think Legaia 2 was worse than the first one but I still think it should have done well.

[quote name='NesHavok']God of war had alot of publicity but when it hit stores no one knew wtf it was!?!? lol[/QUOTE]

Not as much as you think. I remember us getting a bunch of demo discs (with a different cover, so that wouldn't help somebody's memory) and a large oversized box. That's about it. Once the game hit, ads ran everywhere though.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Incredible Crisis (PS1)
Guess the game was too whacky for it's own good[/QUOTE]

YES, this game was the SHIT. I still need to go back and beat it again.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']YES, this game was the SHIT. I still need to go back and beat it again.[/QUOTE]

So I'm NOT the only one that LOVED that game!
AWESOME!

I also have to say the following games should've gotten WAAAAY more recognition:

-Tomba! (PS1)
-Tomba 2 (PS1)
-Klonoa (all of them, 1 on PS1, 2 on PS2, and the 2 GBA games)
-Tetris Attack (every version) ......if it was more popular, maybe we'd have Nintendo Puzzle Collection in the US, eh?
-E.V.O. Search for Eden (SNES)
-Illusion of Gaia (SNES
-Guilty Gear (all of 'em)

[quote name='Roufuss']Did these games really "flop"? They must have done well enough to spawn a spinoff, "Viewtiful Joe: Battle Carnival", and the inevitable 3rd game is coming as well, since the creator mentioned the series is a trilogy.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that VJ 1 sold a "fair" number of copies(around 300-400k each on the GC and PS2). VJ2 tanked(around 90k copies each).

The main reason I said it was a flop is because both games dropped to $20 within 2 months of release. Games that are hits usually don't drop for about 6 months, unless they're sports games.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Resident Evil 4
Last time I heard, it hadn't even broken 750k units. Could be a first for a game of the year?[/quote]

Last I heard, it sold 1.23 Million copies worldwide. Not spectacular, but not a flop.

One game I loved that was a flop was Clive Barker's Undying. That game rocked! To bad no one really played it.

Also Zoocube for the GBA. That was a good game

[quote name='dastly75']uh.....Skies of Arcadia? (not sure how much it sold)[/QUOTE]

X2! I loved that game minus all the random battles.

[quote name='nachzeher']Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant[/QUOTE]

I'm soooo surprised.:lol:

I'd say suikoden 1 and 2 but at least that story has a happy ending.:D

Beyond Good and Evil
Metal Arms
Resident Evil 4
V Joe
Metroid (GC)
Haunted Mansion (the first half I saw had interesting enemies and battles it shouldnt have been a hit but should have sold slightly better)

I would have to say Eternal Darkness is one that comes to mind as well as PoP: Sands of Time. Both games I really enjoyed playing.

Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube (damn you consumer nazis! 'No sequel for you!')

Ico for PS2. It was the Lolo of the new generation.

Beyond Good & Evil (I blame the awful box art. No seriously, that makes a difference).

Pikmin 2 (What an incredible game. If you consumers cost me Pikmin 3, I swear I will hate you forever!)

Zelda: Four Swords for Gamecube (Just sad really... of course, it does take $500+ worth of equipment to get real enjoyment out of it. I spent it, and I have no regrets. It's outstanding with four players).

Going WAY back... Startropics for the NES. Should have been a hit. Only reason it got a sequel was because they had already started production on it. My favorite game of all time. Sequel was crap though.

bread's done
Back