GameStop TIV/Promos: Old Thread, New Thread in First/Last Posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
Old thread, new thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8775793

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. The second post is blank currently but is there for expansion or to revert back to the way things were. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP values. Sixth post has hardware/accessory values for all systems.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

Upcoming Promotions:

[quote name='Anonymous GameStop Employee']Trade 3 for 10 is extended.
50 for ps3/xb360 towards new hardware is extended.
25% power trade for Madden and Gears
40% more towards Rage (not yet confirmed but thats what i am told)

50% more towards preowned ends
40% towards e3 titles ends.[/QUOTE]

Current Promotions:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Trade 3 for an extra $10 (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 3 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP or 3DS games and get an extra $10 in-store credit.

Games with a trade value less than $2.00 are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at anytime. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

$50 Hardware Bonus Toward New Hardware (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get $50 extra in-store credit on any Xbox 360 or PS3 system traded toward any new hardware.

Offer valid toward the purchase of new hardware only. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or Rage (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Power Trade: Get a 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or RAGE.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or RAGE. While supplies last. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

$30 NCAA to Madden Rollover Coupon (Ends 9/4/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get $30 in-store credit for NCAA 2012 when traded toward the purchase of Madden NFL 2012.

Coupon required, limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon must be surrendered upon use. Trade value amount must be applied toward reserve/purchase of a new Madden '12. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer not valid toward cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.Offer expires 09/04/11[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value:
$0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the EDGE card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
*Fat unit requires either back cover or network adapter*
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above. They will not, however, take RROD 360 consoles. There may be stores that still do it, but official policy is to not take them in.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Information Yet:

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Base value from today 7/10/11

Portal 2 - $22
Shift 2 - $17
Tiger Woods 12: Masters - $18

All for PS3. Total $79.80 with the 40% coupon from the 1st post. Pick up Infamous 2 Hero Edition. Thanks for the coupon.

PS3
L.A. Noire - $17

Stupid broad told me i didn't qualify for the extra 40% b/c i'm not a PUR member. I told the dumb chick that she needs to scan it. Lo and behold, the extra 40% magically appeared.

Where did the 40% off coupon in OP come from? I tried printing it and using it at my local gamestop's but they refused to scan it or input the code as they deemed it "questionable" and that the only 40% deal they knew about was from preordering an E3 title.

my gamestop grabbed a copy from the drawal. It should be in their promo book with all those upc codes.

Gamestop are so effin stupid sometime. This is a corporate promotion.

[quote name='rawrker']Where did the 40% off coupon in OP come from? I tried printing it and using it at my local gamestop's but they refused to scan it or input the code as they deemed it "questionable" and that the only 40% deal they knew about was from preordering an E3 title.[/QUOTE]

Came straight from a store... I had a manager hand me 3 of them last month. The other night when I traded, they just scanned their own coupon. I'd go back to that store and call corporate while I was standing there...

[quote name='rawrker']Where did the 40% off coupon in OP come from? I tried printing it and using it at my local gamestop's but they refused to scan it or input the code as they deemed it "questionable" and that the only 40% deal they knew about was from preordering an E3 title.[/QUOTE]

they let you print coupons at gamestop

Thanks for the heads up about PS3 Red Dead Redemption, $22.50 trade was more than I paid for it. Traded it on Sunday, and they knew about the 40%.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Came straight from a store... I had a manager hand me 3 of them last month. The other night when I traded, they just scanned their own coupon. I'd go back to that store and call corporate while I was standing there...[/QUOTE]

Ok thank you all for the replies. Guess the two stores I went to were just being stupid. Go figure. Guess when I go out of town I'll try elsewhere, or just wait for the Trade 3/10 deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a good influx of used stuff at my local store.

Used my PUR B1G1 and $10 off used coupons and got: Baten Kaitos 1, PGR4, Onechanbara (360) and Beautiful Katamari (all complete w/ manuals) for $32.xx.

I'm a happy camper.

[quote name='seanmcc']Got a good influx of used stuff at my local store.

Used my PUR B1G1 and $10 off used coupons and got: Baten Kaitos 1, PGR4, Onechanbara (360) and Beautiful Katamari (all complete w/ manuals) for $32.xx.

I'm a happy camper.[/QUOTE]

you used both coupons on one purchase? Is that allowed?

What happens to the 40% Trade Bonus Toward Pre-Order of E3 Titles if you decide to cancel that Pre-Order later on?
Will they reduce your credit or will you have to buy the pre-order product?

TIV

LittleBigPlanet GOTY $6

XBOX 360 Core unit with wireless controller $60

These are all base prices

I was pleasantly surprised by the core unit price so I decided to thank the CSR by signing up for PUR

[quote name='WTFer']What happens to the 40% Trade Bonus Toward Pre-Order of E3 Titles if you decide to cancel that Pre-Order later on?
Will they reduce your credit or will you have to buy the pre-order product?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the store and how stupid the employee is. I've had one store that told me I could just put $5 down and got the rest back on my card. Every other store says the full trade in value has to go toward those games (although 1 store let me put any excess back on my card, the other two stores made me preorder another game). Then, even when I tried canceling a preorder at a certain store, the employee actually physically went back into the computer system to see if I had the promo applied when I traded in (over a week earlier), and then told me I was forced to move it to another E3 game since I had used the promo. The guy seemed to feel bad, and said he could "literally get into a lot of trouble" if he let me have the credit back. It's believable since, like I said, it seems like a lot of stores around me are telling me the same things.

I have enough credit outside of the preorders so I'll probably just wait until they come out and return them.

Just got back from trading some games at game stop. Thanks to the 40% extra trade in from the op I really appreciate it. Here is a list of what I traded:

Xbox 360:
Saints Row 2 = 7.00 base with 40%/pur = 10.50
Splinter Cell Conviction = 6.00 base with 40%/pur = 9.00

PS3:
Infamous = 10.00 base with 40%/pur = 15.00
God of War 3 = 8.00 base with 40%/pur = 12.00
Metal Gear Solid 4 = 6.00 base with 40%/pur = 9.00
ModNation Racers = 10.00 base with 40%/pur = 15.00

Total Credit = 70.50

So I got last copy of infamous 2 hero edition and put other 6.46 credit toward my gears of war 3 preorder. Hope you can add these to the database to help people out.

[quote name='ckim85']TIVs...

1. :ps3: Blood Stone 007- $7.50
2. :ps3: Fallout NV- $12
3. :ps3: Brutal Legend- $4.50

Also, pre-ordered :ps3: Uncharted 3 :)[/QUOTE]

Wow fallout NV has shot up to 12? I traded in a couple of copies last week for $12 with the 50% bonus. Are you sure it is the base TIV?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']you used both coupons on one purchase? Is that allowed?[/QUOTE]

Yep, they were on different games. If it didn't work I would have just done a separate transaction for Katamari with the $10 coupon anyway.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Wow fallout NV has shot up to 12? I traded in a couple of copies last week for $12 with the 50% bonus. Are you sure it is the base TIV?[/QUOTE]

They aren't the base values. He posted the value after the promotion :wall:

[quote name='xskaxninjax']They aren't the base values. He posted the value after the promotion :wall:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought so but isnt everyone supposed to just put up base TIV's and not what they get after the bonus.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Yeah I thought so but isnt everyone supposed to just put up base TIV's and not what they get after the bonus.[/QUOTE]

Supposed to.

As I posted earlier, I was not required to preorder anything on the 40% bonus trade-in promotion. They had a ton of the coupons behind the counter and they gave me several of them. The coupon does not state you have to use the trade-in credit to preorder featured E3 games or anything.

Traded in Little Big Planet GOTY today and received $12 Base. If it has a not for resale on back of UPC more than half the times employees will ring it up as the regular edition unless you ask or say something. Regular edition of Little big planet is $6.00 base.

Also received $20 Base for Infamous 2

[quote name='Midnight Express']As I posted earlier, I was not required to preorder anything on the 40% bonus trade-in promotion. They had a ton of the coupons behind the counter and they gave me several of them. The coupon does not state you have to use the trade-in credit to preorder featured E3 games or anything.[/QUOTE]

They are two different promotions.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']It depends on the store and how stupid the employee is. I've had one store that told me I could just put $5 down and got the rest back on my card. Every other store says the full trade in value has to go toward those games (although 1 store let me put any excess back on my card, the other two stores made me preorder another game). Then, even when I tried canceling a preorder at a certain store, the employee actually physically went back into the computer system to see if I had the promo applied when I traded in (over a week earlier), and then told me I was forced to move it to another E3 game since I had used the promo. The guy seemed to feel bad, and said he could "literally get into a lot of trouble" if he let me have the credit back. It's believable since, like I said, it seems like a lot of stores around me are telling me the same things.

I have enough credit outside of the preorders so I'll probably just wait until they come out and return them.[/QUOTE]

Good idea, they wouldn't have any exception after you buy the game & they'll accept a sealed game with receipt no problem.
I do want to pre-order Rage, but if the small chance the reviews start coming out that it's bad or super short, I want a way to cancel it.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']They are two different promotions.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize there were two different ones. I'm going to try to use the $10 bonus tomorrow on some lower priced games I've got.

[quote name='YawnAmuroYawn']Traded in Little Big Planet GOTY today and received $12 Base. If it has a not for resale on back of UPC more than half the times employees will ring it up as the regular edition unless you ask or say something. Regular edition of Little big planet is $6.00 base.

Also received $20 Base for Infamous 2[/QUOTE]

That's so weird. I asked the guy that as well. He said it was the GOTY edition. Good to know. I'll go back.

Thanks

Traded in my flaky launch 60GB PS3 today.
Would've been $80 if it didn't need refurb. (Plus $25 for the bonus that ended today and -$30 for refurbing a broken eject button) So I got $75 instead.

Could that extra 40% credit coupon be combined with the upcoming "trade 3, get $10" promotion? I'm guessing the answer is no, but it can't hurt to ask, right?

[quote name='triforce9']Could that extra 40% credit coupon be combined with the upcoming "trade 3, get $10" promotion? I'm guessing the answer is no, but it can't hurt to ask, right?[/QUOTE]

I've been here for 3 months and I have the answer to this question memorized already. What have you been doing for 6 years?

[quote name='DerClaw']I've been here for 3 months and I have the answer to this question memorized already. What have you been doing for 6 years?[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah I know it was a long shot. I just wanted to double check.

Question,

When I traded my 360 in, the guy checked all around the machine and seemed to take note of the Microsoft sticker underneath the faceplate.

My friend is asking me to trade in his core unit that he tried to repair from the no video but audio intact error. Would I be able to trade this in still? He wouldn't mind the refurb fee.

Thanks

You might get lucky and find someone that doesn't check for the sticker, but without video I'm not sure they would take it even with refurb.

For anyone that's interested in transferring credit from Gamestop to Amazon... Amazon's trade in of the day is Xbox 360 MLB 2K11 for $33. You can buy it used at Gamestop for $34.99 (and if you are PUR you get the 10% discount).

[quote name='mkernan']The 'Trade 3 for an extra $10' promo is listed online now:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

I'm gonna head over there this afternoon and trade in some stuff.[/QUOTE]

I waited until today for the +$50 on 360 toward new system... as I need a new 360.
Anyone know when that promo starts? Hopefully BEFORE the inevitable price drop.

Just need that promo and some luck that my system boots to dash when they check it.
Finally E74 after 3.5 years. Is it true that they are now checking to see if the warranty seal is broken?
I could xclamp mod it myself to be sure it boots, but not if that's going to prevent trade-in...

[quote name='raiser']I waited until today for the +$50 on 360 toward new system... as I need a new 360.
Anyone know when that promo starts? Hopefully BEFORE the inevitable price drop.
[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for this promo too. Wondering if the trade in + bonus could be put towards the purchase (preorder) of the Gears 3 console?

Just need that promo and some luck that my system boots to dash when they check it.
Finally E74 after 3.5 years. Is it true that they are now checking to see if the warranty seal is broken?
I could xclamp mod it myself to be sure it boots, but not if that's going to prevent trade-in...

They are supposed to check for it.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']For anyone that's interested in transferring credit from Gamestop to Amazon... Amazon's trade in of the day is Xbox 360 MLB 2K11 for $33. You can buy it used at Gamestop for $34.99 (and if you are PUR you get the 10% discount).[/QUOTE]

I am going to do just that! Thanks. I don't have much use for my $450 GS credit at the moment.

TIV from today:

All 360

Alan Wake $5
Lego Batman $2.50
Ghostbusters $4
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection $5
Borderlands $6
Gears of War 2 $5
Kameo $1.50

Got $51.94 with PUR and 3 for $10 deal.

[quote name='AFarewell2Arms']Sorry, I haven't read up on this thread in awhile. Are the 40% coupons generally in store now? If not, will they even accept a printed out copy of it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have seen the coupons still in the store. Not sure what the criteria is for handing them out, though. I was at two different stores... I traded in some games at one, and asked to keep the coupon, she said she already wrote on it so she gave me a new one. I purchased some games at another store and they did not provide the coupon and I did not ask for it. I would assume that they will continue to hand them out (if you ask) until they run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back