GameStop TIV/Promos: Old Thread, New Thread in First/Last Posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
Old thread, new thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8775793

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. The second post is blank currently but is there for expansion or to revert back to the way things were. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP values. Sixth post has hardware/accessory values for all systems.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

Upcoming Promotions:

[quote name='Anonymous GameStop Employee']Trade 3 for 10 is extended.
50 for ps3/xb360 towards new hardware is extended.
25% power trade for Madden and Gears
40% more towards Rage (not yet confirmed but thats what i am told)

50% more towards preowned ends
40% towards e3 titles ends.[/QUOTE]

Current Promotions:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Trade 3 for an extra $10 (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 3 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP or 3DS games and get an extra $10 in-store credit.

Games with a trade value less than $2.00 are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at anytime. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

$50 Hardware Bonus Toward New Hardware (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get $50 extra in-store credit on any Xbox 360 or PS3 system traded toward any new hardware.

Offer valid toward the purchase of new hardware only. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or Rage (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Power Trade: Get a 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or RAGE.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or RAGE. While supplies last. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

$30 NCAA to Madden Rollover Coupon (Ends 9/4/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get $30 in-store credit for NCAA 2012 when traded toward the purchase of Madden NFL 2012.

Coupon required, limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon must be surrendered upon use. Trade value amount must be applied toward reserve/purchase of a new Madden '12. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer not valid toward cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.Offer expires 09/04/11[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value:
$0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the EDGE card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
*Fat unit requires either back cover or network adapter*
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above. They will not, however, take RROD 360 consoles. There may be stores that still do it, but official policy is to not take them in.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Information Yet:

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shiftymcneely']I tried to cancel my preorder today with no luck. No worries though. I'll just return it on release day.[/QUOTE]

That's shady. Fill out the survey on your receipt, and/or try to call the district manager. The employee was way out of line in multiple ways as I read thru your story.

[quote name='Snuckles']I guess I never understood. So store by store do they get more raises or something if they have more sales/preorders at a the location. Do any employees get commission from sales?[/QUOTE]

They get graded and ranked on how many preorders they sell, and how many power up subscriptions they sell or renew. Those stats can affect their raises and even their continued employement. From what I've heard, if one person ranks at or near the bottom of the store's stats for two or three months in a row, they are likely to be let go, even if they are friendly and helpful.

Sounds like the guy above was manipulating his preorder stats.

Their employment status depends upon getting reservations and PUR subscriptions. They're graded from week to week, if they dont reach a certain percent a couple weeks in a row, and get a coaching. If you get three, you get fired.

[quote name='DJP519']That's shady. Fill out the survey on your receipt, and/or try to call the district manager. The employee was way out of line in multiple ways as I read thru your story.
[/QUOTE]

Funny part was that he is the manager. I actually know him quite well and he got super defensive about me cancelling. He kept asking me why I was cancelling and the reasons. Told him the reason was because Best Buy has better deals and left. I'll just pick it up on release date and return it right then and there. But, it really doesn't bother me for some reason.

[quote name='darken']Sorry if this has been asked before, but will they accept trade ins for complete games without a barcode?[/QUOTE]

They will accept disc only copies, so yes.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Funny part was that he is the manager. I actually know him quite well and he got super defensive about me cancelling. He kept asking me why I was cancelling and the reasons. Told him the reason was because Best Buy has better deals and left. I'll just pick it up on release date and return it right then and there. But, it really doesn't bother me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

He might be the store manager, but I doubt he's the District Manager. Ask to speak with his District Manager the next time he gets up in your face about something. Pull out your cell phone and ask for the number. I bet he'll stop harrassing you then.

[quote name='GuardianE']He might be the store manager, but I doubt he's the District Manager. Ask to speak with his District Manager the next time he gets up in your face about something. Pull out your cell phone and ask for the number. I bet he'll stop harrassing you then.[/QUOTE]

And he'll become a royal jackass every trade you attempt. I think it's fairly well understood that the stores are judged by preorders / cancellations and not returns. I also think a preorder transferred to a sale is also not considered a negative when on the same receipt. I prefer to work with the manager of the store, knowing the rules helps :)

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Funny part was that he is the manager. I actually know him quite well and he got super defensive about me cancelling. He kept asking me why I was cancelling and the reasons. Told him the reason was because Best Buy has better deals and left. I'll just pick it up on release date and return it right then and there. But, it really doesn't bother me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I tried returning Dragon Age a week after release when I found a better deal. They said I couldn't return it because I preordered it. Finally after persisting that the return policy doesn't say that, I could do it but only after manager approval. It was odd.

I feel bad if the girl working there took a hit on her numbers simply because she was working when I decided to return a preorder, but Gamestop's system is screwed up if that is the case.

[quote name='salty tbone']I tried returning Dragon Age a week after release when I found a better deal. They said I couldn't return it because I preordered it. Finally after persisting that the return policy doesn't say that, I could do it but only after manager approval. It was odd.

I feel bad if the girl working there took a hit on her numbers simply because she was working when I decided to return a preorder, but Gamestop's system is screwed up if that is the case.[/QUOTE]

The problem with many CSR's and Managers at Gamestop is that they believe that they are smarter than people who walk into their stores. They often make nonsensical comments that they assume are above the intelligence level of their customers. For example one CSR told me I "really should" preorder a game even though I told him that I had no interest in the game. When he said it again, I asked him how many glasses of water I should drink a day and how often I should exercise. I told him that since he knew what was best for me better than I did, he "really should" have the answers to those questions.

Similarly, the favorite preorder sales pitch of one of the guys at my closest stores is "If you don't preorder it, you'll never get it because it's going to be sold out everywhere." This guy has fed this line to people about games such as Resistance, Sly Cooper, and Gears 3 in my presence.

[quote name='bgame2']The problem with many CSR's and Managers at Gamestop is that they believe that they are smarter than people who walk into their stores. They often make nonsensical comments that they assume are above the intelligence level of their customers. For example one CSR told me I "really should" preorder a game even though I told him that I had no interest in the game. When he said it again, I asked him how many glasses of water I should drink a day and how often I should exercise. I told him that since he knew what was best for me better than I did, he "really should" have the answers to those questions.

Similarly, the favorite preorder sales pitch of one of the guys at my closest stores is "If you don't preorder it, you'll never get it because it's going to be sold out everywhere." This guy has fed this line to people about games such as Resistance, Sly Cooper, and Gears 3 in my presence.[/QUOTE]

Well they assume that the only place you can buy the game at is at Gamestop, and if you don't pre order it you won't be able to buy it from Gamestop for 2 days.

Well the other day they attempted to make this mother buy for her son the DLC map pack that is being released for COD: Blops. Guess what? The new COD copies have a sticker on there that includes the new maps(copy she was purchasing) She wouldve wasted $10-15 for no reason. Scammin'

[quote name='nas6034']Well the other day they attempted to make this mother buy for her son the DLC map pack that is being released for COD: Blops. Guess what? The new COD copies have a sticker on there that includes the new maps(copy she was purchasing) She wouldve wasted $10-15 for no reason. Scammin'[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about the new limited edition Black Ops? Because the only map packs that are included in that one is First Strike.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']Are you talking about the new limited edition Black Ops? Because the only map packs that are included in that one is First Strike.[/QUOTE]
first of all it's not "limited edition" and second of all the 5 new maps that came out are included in the game either as card or in the dvd and if those 5 collectively are known as first strike then yes that and that is what the gs was trying to sell as dlc card to the mom.

[quote name='nas6034']first of all it's not "limited edition" and second of all the 5 new maps that came out are included in the game either as card or in the dvd and if those 5 collectively are known as first strike then yes that and that is what the gs was trying to sell as dlc card to the mom.[/QUOTE]

Except it totally is listed as "Limited Edition" and the maps included in that version are not the new maps that just released today. If he was trying to sell her a First Strike DLC card along with the LE then yes, he was screwing her. If he was trying to sell her the new Annihilation DLC card he was not.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/call-of-duty-black-ops-limited-edition-with-dlc/91517

[quote name='DudeImGodly']http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/call-of-duty-black-ops-limited-edition-with-dlc/91517

seems limited edition too me,[/QUOTE]

Sure, whatever will make you guys happy: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Playstation-3/dp/B00519C7JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1309307725&sr=8-1
and http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Call+of+Duty%3A+Black+Ops+with+First+Strike+Content+Pack+-+Xbox+360/2833031.p?id=1218354836545&skuId=2833031&st=black%20ops&lp=3&cp=2

Funny, it must be extremely limited.

However, I will concede that I haven't kept up-to-date with map packs so it could be this Annihilation map pack but it wasn't made clear(after doing some research).

[quote name='nas6034']Sure, whatever will make you guys happy: http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Playstation-3/dp/B00519C7JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1309307725&sr=8-1
and http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Call+of+Duty%3A+Black+Ops+with+First+Strike+Content+Pack+-+Xbox+360/2833031.p?id=1218354836545&skuId=2833031&st=black%20ops&lp=3&cp=2

Funny, it must be extremely limited.

However, I will concede that I haven't kept up-to-date with map packs so it could be this Annihilation map pack but it wasn't made clear(after doing some research).[/QUOTE]

I thought it was first strike?

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']why wouldn't they have waited and just released a "GOTY" edition with all the map packs?[/QUOTE]

Cause Bobby Kotick Loves money, and using call of duty as an exploit to build upon his vast fortune.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Cause Bobby Kotick Loves money, and using call of duty as an exploit to build upon his vast fortune.[/QUOTE]

This is the first CoD game in 3 years to be repackaged with a map pack. In 2008, CoD 4 had a limited release that had the maps.

:ps3: L.A. Noire $20
:ps3: Cod: Black Ops $23
:360: L.A. Noire $20
:360: Fear 3 $20
:360: Mortal Kombat $15
:360: NHL 11 $18
:360: Harry Potter Half Blood Prince $6
:wii: Just Dance 2 $16
:wii: Mario & Sonic: Olympic Games 2008 $8
:wii: Pokemon Battle Revolution $13

$159 total
$238.50 after bonuses

:360: Black Ops $23
:360: Spider-man Web of Shadows $8
:360: Top Spin 3 $2
:360: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising $6
:360: Orange Box $12
:360: Resident Evil 5 $7
:360: Left 4 Dead 2 $12

I believe they're all the same as the OP but some of those dates aren't recent so I figured I'd let you guys know the values are holding.

[quote name='themightypencil']is it worth it to take a ds lite here? If the $15+$25 gets me $40, should i be looking elsewhere to get a bit more for it?[/QUOTE]

Best buy should get you $50, Craiglist might get you $60

[quote name='themightypencil']is it worth it to take a ds lite here? If the $15+$25 gets me $40, should i be looking elsewhere to get a bit more for it?[/QUOTE]

Also depends on the condition of course, and if you want GS credit or cash if you go other routes, like mentioned CL

[quote name='Ace!']gonna trade in some games...wondering if anyone has any updated values.

Mario Kart Wii
Halo Reach 360[/QUOTE]

If only on the first page of this thread there was some gigantic database of values listed organized alphabetically, and by console.

[quote name='GoVols']And always updated. GS really needs to do what BB does by means of estimator.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop doesn't want to do that, the Gamestop model is to get you in the store where you would be more inclined to accept whatever they offer you.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']If only on the first page of this thread there was some gigantic database of values listed organized alphabetically, and by console.[/QUOTE]

Hey fucker. I said UPDATED values...not values from 18 days ago.

Thanks for the great info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ace!']Hey fucker. I said UPDATED values...not values from 18 days ago.

Thanks for the great info.[/QUOTE]

Well in all fairness you could just call GS and ask yourself. I think most folks reading this thread post their TIVS and JP keeps everything up to date (great job JP).

[quote name='stoned99']Well in all fairness you could just call GS and ask yourself. I think most folks reading this thread post their TIVS and JP keeps everything up to date (great job JP).[/QUOTE]

dont give them over the phone in all fairness...maybe my store sucks?

[quote name='Ace!']Hey fucker. I said UPDATED values...not values from 18 days ago.

Thanks for the great info.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ace!']dont give them over the phone in all fairness...maybe my store sucks?[/QUOTE]

Maybe instead of swearing at people that are trying to help you, you could look up the phone numbers of a few more stores in different locations. There's no rule that says you can't call a gamestop in a different town, different time zone, etc, and find one with helpful employees who will give you a quote or two over the phone.

Called in tiv from today. Should help with the bbv sale starting tomorrow.

Xbox 360:
Transformers War for Cybertron $9
Star Wars FU II $7
Super Street Fighter IV $10

Won't be too bad with the 40% bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back