Getting the most for your trade in games

pdb

CAG Veteran
Disclaimer: I run an independent video game store.

First: Take your games to an independent game store. :) Seriously, the chains will give you squat for your non current generation stuff. Some EBs won't even take anything older than PSX games. The indpendent store will also be more willing to negotiate on price, and be able to take condition into account more than a chain. They also benefit from lower overhead which equals better prices for you.

Second: Condition is everything. Organize it before you go. Make sure everything is clean and free of 'kid grime'. Gather the right cables, controllers, etc, if you're trading in a system. Make sure the discs are in the right cases. And for crying out loud, don't Disc Doctor the games! As a matter of fact, take your disc doctor outside, swing it high over your head, and smash it on the pavement. That will ensure future generations of games will not be screwed up by that cheap gimmick.

Third: Enter with realistic expectations. Game stores are ok with a 15% margin on new stuff because they can choose what they get in. They work with a 50% margin on used stuff because they can't. Good stores will give over 50% of its resale value for an item it it's new, rare, or if they've got someone on their list bugging them for one. Old sports games aren't worth crap, unless it's soccer or NASCAR. It doesn't hurt to look at their selection first. If they already have 5 FFVII's on the shelf, you might want to keep that in the bag and trade it in at a store across town.

Fourth: Be friendly, but don't waste their time. Don't haggle over every item's price. It helps if you have a ballpark number in mind to begin with, then let them add up what they'd like to give, and compare them. You might be surprised how much you get. If the price is too low, mention what you're looking for and how much you thought your stuff was worth. If the store has a new game that's been sitting on the shelf for a few months, they'll be more willing to deal for it than on a Madden 2004 that they unpacked this morning. If there's a bunch of people in the store and only one clerk, it might be in your interest to loiter around until a quiet moment, or come back later when he's got more time. But don't be afraid to shop around. A trade in quote isn't a marriage proposal, and honesty works. "Hey, that's pretty good, but I'm going to see what Bob's Funky Electronic Jive Shack will give me for it." is fine.

Misc: Don't get peeved if they won't give quotes over the phone, especially if you've got a stack of obscure SNES games that the part-timer on the line hasn't even heard of. Also check to see if they have, or are willing to get, what you want. A small store can't roll the dice to get ten of everything that comes out, especially for the PS2. Unless you live in an area with an abnormally high Gamecube population, 'cube games are automatically worth about 10% less than their PS2 counterparts. Sad fact, but that's Adam Smith talking.

fwiw,
pdb

Very good advice. This should become a sticky.

[quote name='pdb']Disclaimer: I run an independent video game store.[/quote]

Go you. Thats always been a dream of mine.

where will an independent video game store usually be??? and how would i know if its an independent store?? :?

PS:Brolly ur animation really slow thing down man :(

Excellent post!

Although I have to admit, I've never had a problem with Gamecrazy and they're a huge chain. They've always been very fair, about exchanges, returns, and selling used games.

hey Disk Doctors are not that bad, you just have to do it PERFECTLY or it screws up.

Im not using it on any gc games tho, im still scared of what will happen

[quote name='dynamite99']where will an independent video game store usually be??? and how would i know if its an independent store?? :?[/quote]

Check out your yellow pages. Look under 'Video Games: Renting and Leasing', and call them up to see if they take in trade what you've got. What I classify as 'major chains' includes EB, Babbage's, Gamestop, Funcoland (tho the previous 3 may all be Gamestops at this point) and Gamecrazy. I haven't had a Gamecrazy open near me, so I can't judge their operation yet.

Game Doctors: It may be possible to not permamently fark up a disc by putting it thru a disc doctor, but I've yet to see it. If you've got scratched up games, seek out a store that owns an Azuradisc polishing machine. Gamestores and used CD stores are good places to start, but if they don't have one ask them where they have their discs refinished. Expect to pay $5/disc, but ask for a discount if you bring in a bunch. That's how we do it. Oh, and don't be surprised if they charge double to refinish a Gamecube disc. Those little buggers tear the abrasive right off the pad.

Running your own store: Short Answer: Game stores run by gamers usually fail in their first year. I've seen too many stores collapse because they were run by people who cared more about games than making money. It will be difficult convincing a bank to give you a loan for a game store. It will be a 12 hour, 7 day a week job, and you will probably not be able to afford any help the first year. BUT, it is a very fun and rewarding business. There's also a lot of money to be made if you do it right. :)

fwiw, ymmv
pdb

[quote name='pdb'][quote name='dynamite99']where will an independent video game store usually be??? and how would i know if its an independent store?? :?[/quote]

Check out your yellow pages. Look under 'Video Games: Renting and Leasing', and call them up to see if they take in trade what you've got. What I classify as 'major chains' includes EB, Babbage's, Gamestop, Funcoland (tho the previous 3 may all be Gamestops at this point) and Gamecrazy. I haven't had a Gamecrazy open near me, so I can't judge their operation yet.

Game Doctors: It may be possible to not permamently fark up a disc by putting it thru a disc doctor, but I've yet to see it. If you've got scratched up games, seek out a store that owns an Azuradisc polishing machine. Gamestores and used CD stores are good places to start, but if they don't have one ask them where they have their discs refinished. Expect to pay $5/disc, but ask for a discount if you bring in a bunch. That's how we do it. Oh, and don't be surprised if they charge double to refinish a Gamecube disc. Those little buggers tear the abrasive right off the pad.

Running your own store: Short Answer: Game stores run by gamers usually fail in their first year. I've seen too many stores collapse because they were run by people who cared more about games than making money. It will be difficult convincing a bank to give you a loan for a game store. It will be a 12 hour, 7 day a week job, and you will probably not be able to afford any help the first year. BUT, it is a very fun and rewarding business. There's also a lot of money to be made if you do it right. :)

fwiw, ymmv
pdb[/quote]

I have a question for you. I was thinking of starting to sell some games on Ebay and start up a business just for some extra money. I don't plan on making more than maybe $250 extra per month.

My question is this. With margins on Ebay going well below 10% for video games, how could I get good deals on games? How would I go about buying wholesale? And, in your experience, what's the minimal number of games a distributor will allow you to purchase from them for resale?

Do independant gamestores also sell games a little cheaper? Or are the prices for their games about the same as a chain like gamestop or EB.

[quote name='mmn']
I have a question for you. I was thinking of starting to sell some games on Ebay and start up a business just for some extra money. I don't plan on making more than maybe $250 extra per month.

My question is this. With margins on Ebay going well below 10% for video games, how could I get good deals on games? How would I go about buying wholesale? And, in your experience, what's the minimal number of games a distributor will allow you to purchase from them for resale?[/quote]

Most distributors won't even return your calls without a tax ID and a local business license. As for buying volume, I'm honestly not sure, but figure on at least $300 per order and about $5k per month for them to care about you. It wouldn't hurt to ask, google for 'video game distributor' and you'll come up with some likely suspects.

However, selling new items on Ebay isn't a sure thing. You've got a lot of competition, and they've all got the same sources and overhead as you. Plus, you're up against a bunch of internet retailers who sell new games below retail (gogamer.com, gamefirm.com, buyrite.net, etc). Add a few running auctions for new items to your watch list, so you can see what they close at. While sometimes a couple of gamers will get into a bidding war and end up buying a greatest hits game for $27, new games will usually go for about distributor cost.

That said, there is plenty of money to be made on Ebay. The key is to troll for product locally. Prowl yardsales, pawn shops, Goodwill, and second hand stores. Post wanted ads in Wal-Mart or any other large store that allows it: "CASH PAID FOR ANY VIDEO GAME, SYSTEM, OR ACCESSORY!" Don't be afraid of shelling out cash for older stuff. It's worth paying $40 for a stack of old SNES games if there's a valuable title in there. Also don't overlook the big retailers. Wallyworld, K-Mart, Target and ToysRus will often close stuff out on a local basis. Abandon your likes, dislikes, prejudices and follow the prices. Watch lots of auctions, see what stuff is going for.

If you decide to give this a whack, approach it like gambling in Vegas: decide how much you can afford to lose, buy that much stuff, and keep close track of what you paid for the item, how much it sold for, and what your shipping expenses were. An item by item spreadsheet would be a great idea.

How you set up the auction matters. If you've got the stomach for it, a $1.00 opening bid with no reserve attracts the most eyeballs. Setting the minimum at what you paid for it is safe, but doesn't collect bids as fast, and the listing fees are higher. Also consider WHEN the auction will close. If it's going to end at 3am on the east coast, don't be surprised if you get hosed. Take good pictures.

On an earned dollar per hour basis, you're probably better off flipping burgers at McDonalds. On the other hand, this might be more fun.

good luck!
pdb

[quote name='LiquidKil']Do independant gamestores also sell games a little cheaper? Or are the prices for their games about the same as a chain like gamestop or EB.[/quote]

Obviously, I can only speak for the store I run, and every store has its own variation on the value equation. Our formula lets us give the same trade as EB/Gamestop on new stuff, 25% more on old stuff, and we're able to sell our used stuff for about 10-25% less.

Consider that when an EB takes in a used game, it's put in a bin and bulk shipped to a reprocessing center where it's cleaned, sorted, tested, etc. Then it's redistributed to local stores based on demand. When I take in a game, it gets cleaned, tested, and maybe takes a trip on the Azuradisc before it goes on the shelf the same day. This is why EB thinks it can ask $44.99 for a used game you can buy for $5 more brand new.

FWIW, we usually sell a new release used game for about $29-34, giving between $15-25 trade for it. This also really shows up on, say, used greatest hits games that EB wouldn't give $3 for, but feels it can sell at $17. We happily give up to $9 for a good GH game, to resell at $15 or thereabouts.

Lower overhead = more love to you.

pdb

Thats probably why that idiot at the pawn shop was only willing to give me $10 for my PSone that was still in great condition, without even looking at the system first when I brought it in. Not to mention the 3 controllers and 2 memory cards that I was offering with it. I mean I know PSones have depreciated in value, but $10! I could sell it to a crackhead for more than that!

pdb...do you own gameexpress? Thats the only independent chain thats good...

There is also gamestation but they arent as good and all the stores are small time.

I hate the independent game place by my house. I love video games, are you would think I would go there every once in a while, because its seriously a block away, but I dont. The two owners are idiots concerning games, they let their little kid run around the store all day, its dirty, the store is insanly small, the owners bring in their goofy friends, and everything is all unorginized. Also, the guy is an asshole, once I tried to trade in SSBM the week it came out, and he only offered my 6 bucks because the front page of the instruction manual was ripped in half. You and your store is'nt likt that right pdb?

hey, i know this isn't as great as opening up your own store but I got laid off and needed some money so I took a bunch of my old junk and some games to the flea market and my games sold really fast so I started buying more games and selling them there and now I'm there almost every weekend and I make about $400.00 in one weekend. It sure beats getting 2.00 for each game at gamestop.

this thread just proves that there are too many dealers buying up all the deals that pop up on this site. Thanks for the advice ... and next time anyone has a problem with people buying hundreds of copies of cheap ass deals, we'll know who to complain to :)

dont demonize people for earning a living, news flash, insanley wealthy people dont deal games as a hobby! im sure most people who own shops need it as their source of income, just accept the fact that there is not an unlimited quantity of games that can be chaep, and you will miss deals, suck it up, the past is in the past, and posting over and over will do nothing, so live with it, i dont see how people can dwell on not getting a deal on a game for so long.

i dont get why people blame dealers for them missing getting games...ive gotten a number of great deals from this site recently, so maybe youre just not trying hard enough

lmao game doctors.. yea.. my friend got one b/c he never kept his psx games in their cases.. and they were all scratched up.. well apparently he'd already tested it on a crappy game and found out that it didnt work .. but i didnt know.. well he left his room and i was chillin in the same room as the game doctor and his new Crash Bandicoot game which had a few scratches.. long story short a few minutes later i was sliding the crash bandicoot game under his dresser and going home rofl.

Blockbuster "Gamerush" locations tend to give you anywhere from 2-8 $'s more then your average game place, and im gonna check FYE tonight. I'm also gonna check to *1* indy game store i found out in canton (45min away).

[quote name='BeigeBrova']Thats probably why that idiot at the pawn shop was only willing to give me $10 for my PSone that was still in great condition, without even looking at the system first when I brought it in. Not to mention the 3 controllers and 2 memory cards that I was offering with it. I mean I know PSones have depreciated in value, but $10! I could sell it to a crackhead for more than that![/quote]

Hehehe I was in your same position a few weeks ago and EB wanted to give me $2!!!! Maybe by some chance he misheard me, but that is outrageous! If I bought the system for $100 and the guy was gonna give me 1/50th of that, then imagine what I would get for a game I paid $10 for!

ps: an independent game shop near me was gonna give $8 for the system. Least I'll take is $30.

It is simple. If you want the most money for your games, sell them yourself in the paper, ebay, to friends, whatever. I sold my old school PS the day PS2 came out to a friend for 50. At that time, EB and Gamestop were only offering 10. Of course, at times, it is very hard to sell stuff. When you have your stuff scratched to hell, missing instructions and boxes, its hard to sell yourself. That is why you take it to EB or somewhere else. As for independent shops, the only time they give you alot more than a corporate store is in the case of rare games (chrono trigger, suikoden 2, insert any other rare game). At least thats the independent stores I have run into (gametrader in orlando, game4less in tallahassee).

game doctors work..it's worked for me like 75% of the time...just right after you go thru the proccess..you gotta buff the living shit out of it..if you don't well your cd that was messed up earlier is even more screwed.

If anyone lives anywhere near Louisville, KY, I highly suggest taking a trip to book and music exchange. There are 4 of them around here but the best one has to be on Bardstown Road. They usually have the newer games for systems and depending on the quality of games you bring its usually a 2 for 1 trade in for a game. They usually have a copy of Chrono Trigger going for 40 and the rest of the SNES games are around 8 bucks I think. Anyways great prices the clerks are fair, can talk to you about any geek endeavor and you can also get cheap ass deals on books, movies, and music.

The latest issue of EGM has an article about this subject and they compare the trade-in values for old and new games for different stores (EB, Gamestop, and Blockbuster). Blockbuster wins in terms of value, while EB and Gamestop are better for special trade-in deals, but I'm sure you all know that already. It's an interesting 2-minute read if you're bored.

I live in San Francisco so I go to craigslist.org to post up the games I want to sell. They have postings in several cities across the country. The posting is free but sometimes it takes a while to get replies.

I'm not sure how successful other people are; I've seen people post PS2 games that are about $5 more than EB prices and then there are some that list the old retail value and try to cheat people by saying how much they're saving. I usually post prices either the same as EB or a few dollars cheaper.

On rare occassions, you can find some really good deals - I got ICO for only $5. And since people deal locally, there isn't any shipping fees to pay.

[quote name='NJYAJ09']I hate the independent game place by my house. I love video games, are you would think I would go there every once in a while, because its seriously a block away, but I dont. The two owners are idiots concerning games, they let their little kid run around the store all day, its dirty, the store is insanly small, the owners bring in their goofy friends, and everything is all unorginized. Also, the guy is an asshole, once I tried to trade in SSBM the week it came out, and he only offered my 6 bucks because the front page of the instruction manual was ripped in half. You and your store is'nt likt that right pdb?[/quote]

You don't by chance live in las vegas do you. Because that totally describes the store next to my house. There is a guy that works (or worked) there that was a dickhead. Plus the place was small, dark, and the other employees are a bunch of kids that don't know as much about games as me at least. Not only that but that same dickhead would take all of the crap they couldn't sell at their store and trade them in to my job at the time, which was GayStop, so he could buy anime and make copies of it. He even asked if he could return the anime after he opened it. That store in particular is a joke.

Here's my 2 cents on the trading in. If you are looking for the best deal then look around first. If you got a huge stack of games take about 3 - 5 of them that you either think are really popular games that are still in demand or rare and call around and ask what they are worth. Think of a value that you'd be happy to give those 3 - 5 games up for and which ever store gives you the closest or even a better deal then that's where you want to go. There are 2 independent stores by my house and they really don't know how to be independent stores. What they do when I try to trade stuff in is they call a GS, or GC to see what they're giving for the gamesso for me there's no point to go to the indi stores because a lot of their stuff is slightly overpriced.

If your games are in really good condition and you know it then try the indi store because you can pursuade them to give you more and chances are that they'll sell it for however much they want and you can tell them they could sell it for more because of the awesome condition.

Here's a trick for the indi stores too. If you give them a huge stack of games they might look at the stack and give a total price from looking at what you got but not a price for every individual game or what have you. So do this. Hold out about 2-4 games and don't even mention that you have them. Let's say you try to trade in 7 games and they say $50.00 for the lot. Then you show them those extra games so that you know that your getting more for those extra games and they aren't getting lumped into the lot.

In the end chances are that you're going to buy a new release for your trade in's and your trade in's are games you don't want anyway. The best thing to do is go to the store that you like. Go to the store where the people know you. If you are on good terms with the employees they may be able to give you the extra 10% or so on your trade in even if you don't qualify for it. And if you don't like the game you just bought they may be able to return it for you. they want a good deal on buying the games from you as much as you want a good deal on trading them in. As long as you don't feel like your totally being ripped and you're happy with helping out that store then do it.

There is an independent game store in my town and I absolutely love the place. Unfortunately it's clear across town and takes nearly half an hour to get there, so i don't get out that way all too often. I traded in both my SNES and Playstation to them, plus a crap load of games. They gave me a very fair deal both times. I think i wound up with about $70 for my PS and about 5 games (or something like that).

Their prices (new or used) are better than any stores in town, and generally they are priced lower than most internet sites i can find. The cool thing i love. they have TONS of NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, etc games. You name it, they have the system and the games. I have done what i can to support local shops such as this one, and have even encouraged the owner to list some of his stuff online (although i'm afraid this might drive his prices up slightly what with added costs and all). cdb i applaud you for running an independent game store against the local giants. We need more local game stores!

bread's done
Back