Ghostbusters $29.99 for PC, $19.99 for PS2

[quote name='boneless']I just hope the lower price is not because of quality.[/quote]

That worries me. Why drop the price on an upcoming game that's been getting good press. Uh-oh.

Makes me wonder about the PS2 version. Usually PS2/Wii development it seems like they port the PS2 version to the Wii, though the Wii version is still showing up at $50. I doubt they would invest a whole lot in making a version just for the PS2...guess I'll have to go digging for info.

well.. the ps3/360 versions are still high

IMHO 60 for a videogame is too much nowadays...unless your bringing some serious heat to the table...video games need to go back to 50 for next gen (ps3/360) and 40 for wii

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']well.. the ps3/360 versions are still high

IMHO 60 for a videogame is too much nowadays...unless your bringing some serious heat to the table...video games need to go back to 50 for next gen (ps3/360) and 40 for wii[/quote]

Wuggaroo, I'm not sure how much gaming experience you've had in your life, but when the Atari first came out games were $50. When Nintendo came out, still $50. Genesis, Super Nintendo, PS1, Nintendo 64, Gamecube were all at a $50 cap. See what I'm getting at? Technology has advanced leaps and bounds and now many big budget games easily overtake costs of big budget movies. It took over 20 years for the maximum MSRP for video games to go up, so at this point I'm just glad they're under $100.

[quote name='Stang232']Amazon is selling the Wii version of Ghostbusters for 40 bucks.
pixel.gif

[/quote]

Stan, thats all good and well but its just not the same on the Wii... Well I didnt think so any how.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Wuggaroo, I'm not sure how much gaming experience you've had in your life, but when the Atari first came out games were $50. When Nintendo came out, still $50. Genesis, Super Nintendo, PS1, Nintendo 64, Gamecube were all at a $50 cap. See what I'm getting at? Technology has advanced leaps and bounds and now many big budget games easily overtake costs of big budget movies. It took over 20 years for the maximum MSRP for video games to go up, so at this point I'm just glad they're under $100.[/quote]

Not only that, but several SNES/N64 games were $70+ at several retailers back in the day. One I will never forget was Chrono Trigger, cost my parents $84.95 at our local video store.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nikadimas']Technology has advanced leaps and bounds and now many big budget games easily overtake costs of big budget movies. It took over 20 years for the maximum MSRP for video games to go up, so at this point I'm just glad they're under $100.[/quote]

So just because it looks better we get fucked? The prices and technology might be going up but my paycheck isn't inflating as much as they think.

When those older games were those prices they were also on more expensive hardware to create. A dvd and case cost them pennies compared to a rom cart and box. Plus they had to advertise in a lot of different places to get the word out. Now some games advertise for almost free with internet word of mouth and message boards.

It looks to me they are cashing in early on the PC and PS2. Almost always the PC version goes down in price faster than anything else. If they start there then they will sell quicker.

I will almost definatly be buying all the different versions of this game and if 2 of them are cheaper right on, I don't care about the reasons why its cheaper.

[quote name='Ecto311']So just because it looks better we get fucked? The prices and technology might be going up but my paycheck isn't inflating as much as they think.

When those older games were those prices they were also on more expensive hardware to create. A dvd and case cost them pennies compared to a rom cart and box. Plus they had to advertise in a lot of different places to get the word out. Now some games advertise for almost free with internet word of mouth and message boards.

It looks to me they are cashing in early on the PC and PS2. Almost always the PC version goes down in price faster than anything else. If they start there then they will sell quicker.

I will almost definatly be buying all the different versions of this game and if 2 of them are cheaper right on, I don't care about the reasons why its cheaper.[/quote]

Considering inflation, games and consoles are much cheaper than they were in the Atari days, heck, even the PS1 days.

Nice to see somebody else gets this. I don't like paying $60 for a game either, but seriously a $10 spike since way back then is not too bad considering what has changed.
Now with that, it would be interesting to see the cost difference if they were making cartridges still. The cheaper media cost savings are being eaten by production costs rising. Maybe/maybe not.
I really do not see the consumer base supporting much more than $60 though.

What DOES however piss me off is the "digital distribution" zealots. Yes, Steam runs "sales". But for the most part, a $50 PC game should be substantially cheaper through those services anyway, not just as a sale. Believe what you want, drink the kool-aid, but it's not going to get cheaper when consoles are download only. And you think the DRM is bad now?

[quote name='Nikadimas']Wuggaroo, I'm not sure how much gaming experience you've had in your life, but when the Atari first came out games were $50. When Nintendo came out, still $50. Genesis, Super Nintendo, PS1, Nintendo 64, Gamecube were all at a $50 cap. See what I'm getting at? Technology has advanced leaps and bounds and now many big budget games easily overtake costs of big budget movies. It took over 20 years for the maximum MSRP for video games to go up, so at this point I'm just glad they're under $100.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nikadimas']... It took over 20 years for the maximum MSRP for video games to go up, so at this point I'm just glad they're under $100.[/quote]

Don't be glad. They're under $100 for the simple reason that nobody would buy them at $100. While games are in fact selling well at $60, GameStop's whole model proves that there is an awful lot of wiggle room in that price and that people want to wiggle.

Hmm, I knew it was as good as the 360 version, I'd buy the PC version for sure. Has anyone previewed the PC game?

[quote name='eastx']Hmm, I knew it was as good as the 360 version, I'd buy the PC version for sure. Has anyone previewed the PC game?[/quote]

PS3, 360, and PC are all SUPPOSED to be the same, but who knows for sure. Most of the time you see screens or video its from PS3 or occassionally 360 but never PC.

[quote name='rodieremix']PS3, 360, and PC are all SUPPOSED to be the same, but who knows for sure. Most of the time you see screens or video its from PS3 or occassionally 360 but never PC.[/quote]

I assume never the PC since the quality would be better and its harder to tell between PS3 or 360. I preordered today and hoping the bonus t-shirt is my size.

From my understanding, PC/Wii/PS2 are in one group (With Wii being the lead) while PS3/360 are in a different group.

[quote name='boneless']I assume never the PC since the quality would be better and its harder to tell between PS3 or 360. I preordered today and hoping the bonus t-shirt is my size.[/QUOTE]

If you're an XL you should be in luck.

They're just about always XL, and almost never smaller than that sadly.

hmm...not really that encouraging. PC games released below the $50 price point usually aren't very good. and i get the feeling the PC version wasn't exactly top priority. will probably just rent on 360.

I played this at the New York Comic Con and I thought the controls were amazing. What could be the problem?? Length of the game? Story? They usually don't drop prices for those reasons.

I rather have the Wii version and see if they have the controls like if I were holding a Proton Gun and then they should have a ghost trap attachment that they sell extra you can attach onto your nunchuk. I can see it now, people throwing their nunchuks into the tv to capture the ghost, priceless.

hmmm maybe the ps3 and 360 preorders were meeting expectations and the others were falling far below........otherwise this looks pretty grim.......if the game is bad WHO YA GONNA CALL??? ATARI :D

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Maybe because it is 2009 and it is a PS2 game? ;-)[/quote]

Indeed.

[quote name='EmilyBabe']Is this game any good?[/quote]

Doesn't come out until June, so who knows. The script, though, was written by Aykroyd and Ramis, and they, along with Murray and Hudson, will be reprising their roles as the Ghostbusters. It is essentially GBIII.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed.

Doesn't come out until June, so who knows. The script, though, was written by Aykroyd and Ramis, and they, along with Murray and Hudson, will be reprising their roles as the Ghostbusters. It is essentially GBIII.[/quote]

Exactly. And since I'm an 80's child, I hope to god this game doesn't suck. Even marginally good with no bugs is a win.

BTW, found this at Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/20/alyssa-milano-replaces-weaver-in-ghostbusters-the-video-game/

"Weaver originally declined to reprise her role as musician -- and Bill Murray baby-mama -- Dana Barrett unless the game was of "high quality," until she had a change of heart."

This sounds more like a good than bad premonition.

I also found this at MTV multiplayer blog

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/18/ghostbusters-game-is-gears-of-war-lite/

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back