God of War II - $29.99 at Radio Shack

[quote name='JTHuffy']Hi, I was at Radio Shack yesterday and noticed a sticker on God of War II for PS2 marked Sale: God of War II: $29.99. It's $10 off the normal price. I'm still holding off for a little less, but it's a deal, so I thought I'd pass it along. The tag said it is good until the 19th. It's also available online:

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-buy-the-god-of-war-ii-for-playstation-2-on--pi-2903470.html[/quote]

wtf! radio shack sells games!

Yes, they started selling some for the holidays. My local store should still have copies... this is tempting...

sucks..
my local RS is owned by a guy that only stocks it with cell phones, over priced tvs and RC cars/planes, that never sell.....
the closest thing i saw to a video game was A as in ONE ps2 controller made by logitech for $50... :/

Radioshack sells... games?

Mind=blown
whoaje3.gif

So I took advantage of this offer, found a copy at my local store. Got the game on my lunch break one day, took it home after work, and my PS2 would not read the discs, either of them. PS2 plays all other games fine.:wall:

Took it back, said they would exchange, got that copy yesterday, guess what, it wont read either.:bomb:

Is there a compatability issue with the 30000 series Ps2 and God of War 2?

Or.... has radio shack gotten a batch of defective games. I overheard one of the store associates mention this, and as they added my name to a list of people with this similar problem... I am now weary of buying anything ever again from Radio Shack ( I knew better in the first place) :fridge:

If anyone knows of compat issue with that game and old fatty PS2 series 30000 please let me know.... thanks!

[quote name='oasisboy']Any radioshack coupons available to make this $20?[/quote]

There is a $10 of $40 in the Entertainment Book (2 actually)

[quote name='SkeletonBrute']So I took advantage of this offer, found a copy at my local store. Got the game on my lunch break one day, took it home after work, and my PS2 would not read the discs, either of them. PS2 plays all other games fine.:wall:

Took it back, said they would exchange, got that copy yesterday, guess what, it wont read either.:bomb:

Or.... has radio shack gotten a batch of defective games. I overheard one of the store associates mention this, and as they added my name to a list of people with this similar problem... I am now weary of buying anything ever again from Radio Shack ( I knew better in the first place) :fridge:

If anyone knows of compat issue with that game and old fatty PS2 series 30000 please let me know.... thanks![/quote]

A friend of mine that works at GameStop told me that the "old fatty PS2" is incompatible with a lot of the new PS2 games...not all, but most. Flip your game disc around and check to see if you see a blue or green "circle" around where the game disc is...I forgot which color he told me is incompatible with the old PS2 systems, but I think it's green. Just check the disc, and compare it to your older games.

RadioShack gets there games from the same places that Best Buy, Circuit City, or Gamestop...so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Hope this helps

[quote name='fobb']A friend of mine that works at GameStop told me that the "old fatty PS2" is incompatible with a lot of the new PS2 games...not all, but most. Flip your game disc around and check to see if you see a blue or green "circle" around where the game disc is...I forgot which color he told me is incompatible with the old PS2 systems, but I think it's green. Just check the disc, and compare it to your older games.
[/quote]

I have the original PS2 (not the slim), circa 2001. I got my GoW 2 from the Gamecrazy sale. Haven't played through the game yet, but went through the opening cinematic on Disc 1 and skimmed several of the extras on Disc 2. Plays fine.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']wtf! radio shack sells games![/QUOTE]
yeah some of them do, 2 out of 3 do not around my way...but there is ONE that carries games. I have even seen some consoles in there.

I guess third time is a charm, third copy played fine. Thanks for the heads up on that issue with the discs though, and will research that some more and post somewhere my findings.

In other news the manager at the store said that they had eight copies of that game in stock, so far five of them had issues.

[quote name='SkeletonBrute']So I took advantage of this offer, found a copy at my local store. Got the game on my lunch break one day, took it home after work, and my PS2 would not read the discs, either of them. PS2 plays all other games fine.:wall:

If anyone knows of compat issue with that game and old fatty PS2 series 30000 please let me know.... thanks![/quote]

You have what they call a disc read error. I'm assuming that the PS2 made a loud noise after attempting to red the disc and then a screen came up that said 'disc read error'. If not, your system may just need a good manual laser cleaning to get it working right again. Actually, that helps DRE PS2's to read discs again too.

Here's what you do:

You'll need: a regular sized Philips head screwdriver, an eyeglass repair kit sized Philips head screwdriver, a couple q-tips and some rubbing alcohol.

Shut off and unplug the PS2 completely, flip it upside down and remove the four rubber 'feet' on the four corners of the console. Then remove the little plastic tabs which are flush with the case of the PS2. Under all of those are the screws holding the PS2s case together, remove them all and mark down which hole each one came out of.

Then, flip the PS2 back over while firmly holding the PS2's case together. If this is your first time opening your PS2 to clean it, you'll have to remove the warranty seal from the back of it to get the case open. Once you remove that, make sure the PS2 is facing you, with the controller ports/disc tray towards you.

Be careful in the next step, as there is a ribbon cable connected to the PS2's case on the top half that you'll be pulling off. Set something heavy that won't move just to the right of the PS2 to prop the top of the case against.

Next, gently lift up on the back of the PS2's case, the top part of the PS2 should start to slowly come off. Gently continue to pull up on it and continue to until it is off. You may have to gently remove a sticker holding the ribbon cable to the top of the laser chamber to get the lid off. Lean the top of the PS2 against the heavier object.

Next, use the smaller Philips head screwdrivers to remove the four screws holding the lid to the laser chambers cover on(the lid is the thing you removed the ribbon cables sticker from, it has a warning on it about not blinding yourself by staring into the laser).

Remove the lid to that, then take the q tips and dampen them(not soak them) with rubbing alcohol and clean the PS2's laser in a circular motion with firm(but not hard) pressure.

Repeat those steps in reverse to close the PS2 back up and your old PS2 should be working like its old self again and able to read GOW II with no problems now.

If you're not courageous enough to try all of this or don't want to void your warranty, you can call Sony and for $45 they'll swap out your PS2 for a refurb of theirs or for $75, they'll attempt to repair your problem.

I've opened tons of PS2's and Xbox's, so I've done this very technique dozens of times over the past 6-7 years.

Best of luck.....

[quote name='fobb']A friend of mine that works at GameStop told me that the "old fatty PS2" is incompatible with a lot of the new PS2 games...not all, but most. Flip your game disc around and check to see if you see a blue or green "circle" around where the game disc is...I forgot which color he told me is incompatible with the old PS2 systems, but I think it's green. Just check the disc, and compare it to your older games.

RadioShack gets there games from the same places that Best Buy, Circuit City, or Gamestop...so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Hope this helps[/quote]

Not to be rude or anything, but your friend works @ Gamestop, where they were probably told to whore out system sales under the guise that people buying a new PS2 would wanna buy some newer games to go with that new system.

Just saying.....since it's probably just a simple case of the posters older PS2 not playing games well since it's 6 years old. I swear, if I had the spare cash, I could SO make a fortune from ill informed consumers by doing simple laser cleanings on their systems for $30 a pop. That's all the problem IS most times, though sometimes people need a laser replacement, which I could do for the same cost AS Sony($75).

How? Because the one site I found with new lasers in stock ships free to all orders in the continental US and it doesn't take much longer than the time to clean a laser to pop out the disc tray, unscrew a couple more screws and replace the laser.

thanks for the guide for cleaning the laser ThrillKill, I m sure it will come in handy sometime.... However this time I surprisingly never got a DRE screen, it just sat there at the screen with browser and version info.

My friend's PS2 does that as well with almost every game. Just so you guys know, using a coupon on video games is very YMMV. They put out a notice saying that not even employees can get it discounted.

[quote name='SkeletonBrute']thanks for the guide for cleaning the laser ThrillKill, I m sure it will come in handy sometime.... However this time I surprisingly never got a DRE screen, it just sat there at the screen with browser and version info.[/quote]

Sometimes, that's how it ends up, where the disc just spins and spins and tries to load. I really should write a FAQ on how to take apart the PS2 and what not, since I did take one down to base components at one point, disassembled it right down to all of its parts. About the only thing I didn't take apart were the boards and the chips on the boards.

And, you're quite welcome about the info. I used to link people to a video, but as I said, YouTube took it down. It showed how to do it step by step.

There's actually a PS2 repair thread on the PS2 board where I also described the cleaning process in detail.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not to be rude or anything, but your friend works @ Gamestop...[/quote]

Lol, I was going to make a comment about that, but didn't. Something to the effect of, a Gamestop that used to be an EB? Or (god forbid) an original Gamestop?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not to be rude or anything, but your friend works @ Gamestop, where they were probably told to whore out system sales under the guise that people buying a new PS2 would wanna buy some newer games to go with that new system.

Just saying.....since it's probably just a simple case of the posters older PS2 not playing games well since it's 6 years old. I swear, if I had the spare cash, I could SO make a fortune from ill informed consumers by doing simple laser cleanings on their systems for $30 a pop. That's all the problem IS most times, though sometimes people need a laser replacement, which I could do for the same cost AS Sony($75).

How? Because the one site I found with new lasers in stock ships free to all orders in the continental US and it doesn't take much longer than the time to clean a laser to pop out the disc tray, unscrew a couple more screws and replace the laser.[/QUOTE]

Can you provide a link to the "laser" sites that you are referring to? I would be interested in searching them to see if they have replacement drives for DVD-R TV recorder that went belly-up several months ago.

Thanks-in-advance!

Actually Darkshadows, the only site I really ever surfed to for potential replacement parts was called Richspsxparts.com and they only seem to sell PS1 and PS2 replacement parts, though I'm sure there ARE replacement sites out there for the item you're seeking them for.

Have you tried Googling the model # with the term replacement laser? That SHOULD bring up some results.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually Darkshadows, the only site I really ever surfed to for potential replacement parts was called Richspsxparts.com and they only seem to sell PS1 and PS2 replacement parts, [/quote]

That particular site is not recommended, as they steal your money -- Check out resellerratings.com. You can find replacement lasers elsewhere, but if you have an OLDER ps2 model, there is a high probabilty that the replacement laser is refurbished, even if it is advertised as "new"

[quote name='bruceg']That particular site is not recommended, as they steal your money -- Check out resellerratings.com. You can find replacement lasers elsewhere, but if you have an OLDER ps2 model, there is a high probabilty that the replacement laser is refurbished, even if it is advertised as "new"[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='limelight022']That game is still worth the $50 original asking price.

$30 is money well spent.[/quote]

i agree even though i only paid like 36 or 40 for it new when it came out the games got tons to do especially with the extra modes and such. pretty decent bonus disk too.

bread's done
Back