Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Has anyone linked their gamertag to the social club? Just curious if there is any kind of gamertag pic you can put in your sig or something. I linked my tag but cant see anything cos i havent played the game yet.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Im loving the game. Been playing all night long. But my only problem is that most of the sites that reviewed it said you can do everything you can do in Single Player in Multi Player. Well I went into free roam and it doesnt show any places for Pool or anything. Do you just have to remember where these places are or what?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about that even though I haven't played the game. I want to go into Free Play and get some bowling action going with friends.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Has anyone linked their gamertag to the social club? Just curious if there is any kind of gamertag pic you can put in your sig or something. I linked my tag but cant see anything cos i havent played the game yet.[/quote]

They will be adding features (including gamertag linking) to the site over the next few days according to the most recent news post.

Walked into a tiny Radio Shack in midtown NYC at 9:00 sharp, and picked up my copy, along with a $10 gift card (which I used toward 1600 MS points). Now, I'm stuck here at work until 5:00, and probably won't get to play it until 8:00 when the kids go to sleep. I doubt I'll get much work done today, since I'll probably use the interweb to satiate my GTIV needs for the next 7 hours.

So, Im playing free roam, and I remember exactly where the Bowling Alley is. I go there with another player and not a soul in the place. So im thinking some of the online sites were really BS'ing when they said "you can do everything you do in Single player online" Unless maybe im missing something.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So, Im playing free roam, and I remember exactly where the Bowling Alley is. I go there with another player and not a soul in the place. So im thinking some of the online sites were really BS'ing when they said "you can do everything you do in Single player online" Unless maybe im missing something.[/quote]
No bowling or pool in MP?!

;-;

Anyone have the game lock up their system on them? Only played about an hour, and it locked up on me 4 times, and other games still work fine. I'm gonna bring in the game for an exchange, but if it happens again, I'll have to get the PS3 version.

[quote name='Dezuria']Anyone have the game lock up their system on them? Only played about an hour, and it locked up on me 4 times, and other games still work fine. I'm gonna bring in the game for an exchange, but if it happens again, I'll have to get the PS3 version.[/quote]

People have been reporting the game locking up. I'm sure a patch will be released within a week.

GTA4borked.jpg

[quote name='KiLL3r']The BB i went to gave out the same stuff, got the stickers and the Speed racer Shirt+Hat. They had about 50 or some people at around 10:50pm. The Target next door had a lot more people on that line compare to the best buy one, which was a surprise to me. It was quick as well, I was home 20 minutes after they opened the door.

I only played for 3 hours thus far and am enjoying it. I only have a few complaint basically what A happy panda said about camera issues. I've seen few pop ups, mostly small things likes trees and other objects on the side on the roads. Also how the vehicles controls, it's feels too bouncy and it's hard to control at times.[/quote]

What location did you go to?

Anyone have a lost of the unlocks yet for the hidden packages?
aka the flying rats?

I have the guide, have only played for about 45 minutes but I normally do the packages first for the weapons.

[quote name='chasemurata']So, I went to Wal-Mart for my game, as I figured there would be no line and was right. While waiting in line, I take notice of a mildly-attractive girl directly in front. She reciprocates the glance. So, for about the next twenty minutes, she keeps tossing glances towards me, and I think to myself, "Okay, would I rather play Grand Theft Auto 4 as soon as possible or possibly get some sexy action tonight?"

I alternated thoughtful poses for a bit, then realized, "Eh, she's not really my type," and here I sit, about to dive into the game. Best part of the night? In what I believe to be purposely, she takes a step back, and drives her derrière into my thigh. I wanted to boast, "Ha ha, you missed! The needle on my compass is pointing west, not east," but just gave a kind grin, as she excused herself with smirk.

She tried to start a conversation, but I decidedly gave short answers, which seemed to piss her off, as she walked out of the line in a huff. Eep! :hot:[/quote]

Wow...back in my college days, there was an old Chinese Proverb (or something)... "A passed chance is a last chance..."

Never pass up an "opportunity"...especially for a video game

So for the people who bought the $90 version: was the extra $30 worth it? I have the opportunity to go pay the difference, and wondering if I should.

IE, would you do it again?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']So for the people who bought the $90 version: was the extra $30 worth it? I have the opportunity to go pay the difference, and wondering if I should.

IE, would you do it again?[/quote]

No regrets here...The lockbox is pretty sweet, heavy too, the duffle bag seems pretty good, the artbook is cool, and the key chain is bad ass...only thing I could care less about is the soundtrack.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So, Im playing free roam, and I remember exactly where the Bowling Alley is. I go there with another player and not a soul in the place. So im thinking some of the online sites were really BS'ing when they said "you can do everything you do in Single player online" Unless maybe im missing something.[/quote]

One of the achievements are
beat a friend at pool.
So doesnt that mean that is able to be played online? Since there is no co-op mode.

[quote name='chasemurata']So, I went to Wal-Mart for my game, as I figured there would be no line and was right. While waiting in line, I take notice of a mildly-attractive girl directly in front. She reciprocates the glance. So, for about the next twenty minutes, she keeps tossing glances towards me, and I think to myself, "Okay, would I rather play Grand Theft Auto 4 as soon as possible or possibly get some sexy action tonight?"

I alternated thoughtful poses for a bit, then realized, "Eh, she's not really my type," and here I sit, about to dive into the game. Best part of the night? In what I believe to be purposely, she takes a step back, and drives her derrière into my thigh. I wanted to boast, "Ha ha, you missed! The needle on my compass is pointing west, not east," but just gave a kind grin, as she excused herself with smirk.

She tried to start a conversation, but I decidedly gave short answers, which seemed to piss her off, as she walked out of the line in a huff. Eep! :hot:[/quote]

Turn in your man card.

LOL chase

BTW I wish my package would get here from Amazon :wall:

[quote name='The 7th Number']One of the achievements are
beat a friend at pool.
So doesnt that mean that is able to be played online? Since there is no co-op mode.[/QUOTE]

when it says that, it means one of your ingame friends in single player

Is anyone else seeing jaggies on some of the diagonal lines on the 360 version? I have mine hooked up via component since my 360 doesn't have HDMI out. Would HDMI solve this problem or would switching to the PS3 solve it?

[quote name='scrub0bk']when it says that, it means one of your ingame friends in single player[/quote]

Wow that sucks.... those activities would have been fun to play online.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I just got back with it. and so far I'm kinda disappointed in the graphics. Definitely not a perfect 10 graphics wise.[/QUOTE]

Well, its not going to be like Gears of War or anything, but think about the leap from San Andreas to IV.

Also, Chase: Fail. That is all. I mean I'm going to a STUDY SESSION for an exam before I play the game to talk to girls. You had one throwing herself at you.

[quote name='blueboy']Is anyone else seeing jaggies on some of the diagonal lines on the 360 version? I have mine hooked up via component since my 360 doesn't have HDMI out. Would HDMI solve this problem or would switching to the PS3 solve it?[/quote]

If you want to get rid of the jagged edges then you either need to play with a higher resolution or you need anti-aliasing enabled (but you can't change this anyway).

If you have a 1080p capable TV and if the game actually outputs at 1080p then yeah switching to HDMI may actually help.

[quote name='Razzuel']If you want to get rid of the jagged edges then you either need to play with a higher resolution or you need anti-aliasing enabled (but you can't change this anyway).

If you have a 1080p capable TV and if the game actually outputs at 1080p then yeah switching to HDMI may actually help.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Ok, I do have a 1080p 50" plasma, but it is hooked up via component. I'll have to see what I can do about it.

Thanks.

Just came back from CC with my copy and with my victory ham & potato burrito.

If any CAGs are up for any multiplayer or just screwing around online, send me a FR.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow that sucks.... those activities would have been fun to play online.[/quote]

Yah, It would have been. I was so happy when I read reports that "Everything you can do in Single Player you can do in Multi Player." But now I see that this is Bull Crap seriously. I was hoping to hop into a car and hit the bar with my friend or play some pool. Here is to hoping. I guess maybe for the GTA MMO?

I just got back from Game Crazy with this and they had no faceplates. The guy gave me the gamer pics that you get for preordering because they had extras and even the preorder item for condemned. The guy said they never even got the faceplates in and that, that usually happens. So if you have yet to pick it up then chances are gamecrazy is now out or never even got them in. Just wanted to say that. Sucks because I was going to try and talk the guy into an extra one or two and put one on ebay.

I just picked up my copy. There were 4 people buying GTA ahead of me - the guy said it has been a constant stream of people since the store opened. He was a bit frazzled.

I recommend turning up the brightness and contrast sliders in the game. Otherwise it's really hard to see stuff at night. I also turned the saturation up a bit because some areas looked almost grayscale.

I'm was also a bit disappointed with the graphics... the backgrounds look like they've been smeared with Vaseline and the framerate is pretty low. But the game is so fun I got over this real fast.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Yah, It would have been. I was so happy when I read reports that "Everything you can do in Single Player you can do in Multi Player." But now I see that this is Bull Crap seriously. I was hoping to hop into a car and hit the bar with my friend or play some pool. Here is to hoping. I guess maybe for the GTA MMO?[/quote]

DLC ;) In all honesty, it shouldn't be that hard for R* to add pool, bowling, etc.

i just went and bought one at blockbuster casue i didnt feel like waiting for amazon, but i can use my amazon one to get a refund from the one i bought from blockbuster right? they all have the same upc so it shouldnt make a difference correct?

[quote name='scrub0bk']i just went and bought one at blockbuster casue i didnt feel like waiting for amazon, but i can use my amazon one to get a refund from the one i bought from blockbuster right? they all have the same upc so it shouldnt make a difference correct?[/quote]

Yea you can do that. I think that may technically be fraud though, not sure.

[quote name='menikmati']I believe the install only applies to the PS3 version.[/quote]

You are correct. Installing to the HD isn't an option on the 360.

She tried to start a conversation, but I decidedly gave short answers, which seemed to piss her off, as she walked out of the line in a huff. Eep! :hot:[/QUOTE]

Dude, admit it, you're gay....... even though she was only mildly-attractive, you could have recreated some of the scenes in GTA IV when you're playing it......... I guess you like to play with yourself.

[quote name='Aleman']Yea you can do that. I think that may technically be fraud though, not sure.[/quote]

Technically, fraud, yes. He's taking their stock fully knowing that he will be returning the merchandise at a later time. HOWEVER, good luck proving that in court ;)

[quote name='Aleman']Yea you can do that. I think that may technically be fraud though, not sure.[/QUOTE]

but i mean is there anyway of them really knowing that its not the one i bought today? either way i could return it to amazon if it didnt work

[quote name='scrub0bk']but i mean is there anyway of them really knowing that its not the one i bought today? either way i could return it to amazon if it didnt work[/quote]
As long as you return it in the same condition as you bought it, they won't know. AKA, if you bought it sealed, return it sealed.

[quote name='SynGamer']As long as you return it in the same condition as you bought it, they won't know. AKA, if you bought it sealed, return it sealed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats what im sayin as long as its sealed it shouldnt be a problem.

And im pretty sure the optional install is only on the ps2 version

[quote name='-BigC-']or is there even a optional install? was that just a rumor...[/quote]

No, there is no installing whatsoever on the 360 version.

The PS3 version has a mandatory install.

bread's done
Back