Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm most excited about Team Mafia, Mafia Work and Free Mode. I'm not too sure about team deathmatch as GTA's aiming has always been iffy, and I'm not sure how well this revamped system of aiming will be.

Regardless to what people say about this game it will sell millions anyway.

People will buy this game just because it's a Grand Theft Auto Game so anything I say about it won't matter.

I don't particularly like the game engine that every 3D GTA game runs on. (GTA3+)

GTA2 is still awesome if not more awesome.

However seeing the HD trailers Rockstar release makes me salivate over this game.

[quote name='vampireblood']
I don't particularly like the game engine that every 3D GTA game runs on. (GTA3+)[/quote]

I believe it's going to be running off the RAGE engine this time around. That's the same one they used for the Rockstar Table Tennis game.

RAGE + the Euphoria engine.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']I believe it's going to be running off the RAGE engine this time around. That's the same one they used for the Rockstar Table Tennis game.

RAGE + the Euphoria engine.[/quote]

I looked it up and according to Wikipedia ALL the other GTA games are based off the RenderWare Engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RenderWare

GTA4 doesn't use that engine so now I'm even more excited. Hopefully the RAGE engine won't disappoint.

[quote name='vampireblood']I looked it up and according to Wikipedia ALL the other GTA games are based off the RenderWare Engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RenderWare

GTA4 doesn't use that engine so now I'm even more excited. Hopefully the RAGE engine won't disappoint.[/quote]

I think while the RAGE engine is going to be pretty decent, matched up with Euphoria it's going to make it even better.

out of the few previews I read everyone seems to agree it's a pretty amazing combo of graphics and unscripted AI events. I can't wait till next month.

:D

I find myself suddenly excited for this game. It's been a long time since I've had a sand box experience. I stopped playing GTA's because of the really bad combat among other things, but after seeing videos of Bully, I'm hyped! I'll join the crowd just because it's a GTA game, why not.

[quote name='help1']I'm most excited about Team Mafia, Mafia Work and Free Mode. I'm not too sure about team deathmatch as GTA's aiming has always been iffy, and I'm not sure how well this revamped system of aiming will be.[/QUOTE]

You should not worry. If you actually have been reading up and listening to Houser's words (the lead guy on GTA for years) the entire shooting game will feel more like a 3rd person shooter than the old GTAs. Deathmatches are going to be crazy.

Sorry if this has been discussed here previously, but what location has the best package for GTA IV: Special Edition. I know Amazon has a license plate, but are there any other places that offer something else? Like Gamecrazy? etc?

I had a chance to go into EB Games at Universal Studios last week and the store had a limited edition bundle on display in a glass case, and I was pretty much disappointed with the small duffel bag. Well I reserved my copy there since they are doing a midnight release, I'm a sucker for midnight releases.

I went GameStop yesterday and the cashier was trying to get me to pre-order GTA IV, (which I plan on doing, but not yet...) He was saying that if I pre-order the game, I will get codes to unlock stuff like multiplayer modes and guns, only exclusive to the pre-order peeps. Is this true or was he just trying to get another $5 from me?

[quote name='thadoktor']I went GameStop yesterday and the cashier was trying to get me to pre-order GTA IV, (which I plan on doing, but not yet...) He was saying that if I pre-order the game, I will get codes to unlock stuff like multiplayer modes and guns, only exclusive to the pre-order peeps. Is this true or was he just trying to get another $5 from me?[/quote]

Sounds like BS, all ive heard that you get is some gamerpics for 360.

So guys, should I go for the Limited Edition or normal?

I normally don't go anywhere near special editions, but the stuff that comes with this is cool

[quote name='thadoktor']I went GameStop yesterday and the cashier was trying to get me to pre-order GTA IV, (which I plan on doing, but not yet...) He was saying that if I pre-order the game, I will get codes to unlock stuff like multiplayer modes and guns, only exclusive to the pre-order peeps. Is this true or was he just trying to get another $5 from me?[/quote]
Keep in mind that these "codes" will inevitably end up on CAG by 1/2 way through day 1 just like the Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 codes were so don't let that persuade you purchase from there.
[quote name='thadoktor']But idk he WAS asian. lol[/quote]
Not to be a dick, but what the fuck does that have to do with anything? Might as well have said "he was black so I don't trust what he said." Sorry, this type of mentality pisses me off to no avail.

Well I just looked in my Amazon Gold Box, and they had the normal version of the game for $57, so I ordered that. With my free 2 day shipping w/ Amazon Prime

[quote name='whiptcracker']If the sales of previous GTA games are any indication, yeah, it's going to outsell Halo 3. Look up how much San Andreas sold on just the PS2, it's insane.

Plus Halo 3 isn't multiplatform.

All these multiplayer options are awesome, I didn't even consider the multiplayer and figured that it would just be an afterthought. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

It should be very high. Game Crazy was telling me they have over 100 pre-orders already. I don't know if I believe him but if true that's a ton. It sounds like this may be a hard game to get on day one.

First multiplayer images slipping through a Dutch website.
Nothing said was new, but the 3 screens shown are of some multiplayer matches.

3n5bim.png

2eg4y1.png

9lh36w.jpg

AHHHH

I can't wait for this GAME...i hope the multilayer is online and just like the GTA SA multi on PC.

Only 35 more days until April 29 :bouncy:. Those online screen look wicked, specially the pic with the 2 dudes in the car about to drive by.

Let's see....

We have a chopper and explosion, a guy on a bike and on foot with a rocket, a swat team at an airport, and an 8 car overhead shot of the chopper shooting at people. I'd say that shows SOMETHING. wtf. lol

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Let's see....

We have a chopper and explosion, a guy on a bike and on foot with a rocket, a swat team at an airport, and an 8 car overhead shot of the chopper shooting at people. I'd say that shows SOMETHING. wtf. lol[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a typical day in New York. :lol:

definate rent on gamefly. if i really like it ill keep renting. not a big GTA fan but it looks like i have to get it seeing everyone will be online with it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I still stand large behind my belief that this game will be a huge milestone in game history.[/QUOTE]I think you're right about that. In the EGM story (at least I think that's where I read it) there's a line from Sam Houser about how the leap from San Andreas to GTA IV will be even bigger than the leap from GTA II into the 3-D world of GTA III. That is a HUGE claim to make, but I don't think he's the type to throw out empty boasts just to hype his game. I really believe Rockstar can and will back up those words.

Even after I posted them, I do wonder myself though how legit the multiplayer pics are.

I notice that in a majority of them the names with dots above the heads have been switched. If you notice the chopper scene RS NYC 1 and RS NYC 2 are suddenly switched around. But it's quite possible thet *R mocked up the tags to make them look as they will in the game later because hey don't have them yet.

Pretty weird.

[quote name='Danimal']I think you're right about that. In the EGM story (at least I think that's where I read it) there's a line from Sam Houser about how the leap from San Andreas to GTA IV will be even bigger than the leap from GTA II into the 3-D world of GTA III. That is a HUGE claim to make, but I don't think he's the type to throw out empty boasts just to hype his game. I really believe Rockstar can and will back up those words.[/quote]
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I read Relento's comment. I have a feeling that this game is going to raise the bar in terms of player immersion into a living environment.

Edit: And to the MP Screens - :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: April 29th cannot come soon enough.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I still stand large behind my belief that this game will be a huge milestone in game history.[/QUOTE]
What a bold opinion. :roll:

[quote name='Staind204']Whats the best deal on this?[/QUOTE]

Family video for $50 I guess

I got it in my amazon gold box for $57 w/ free 2 day shipping, so I went with that

My only problem with the kotaku map is that there are far fewer streets than I expected. There are like 4 avenues in Manhattan, opposed to the 11 or so that are prominent there now.

Damn, I was hoping the new trailer would be up on their site when I got home from work this morning. If it's not up in the next few hours I guess I'll have to wait until tonight. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Danimal']Damn, I was hoping the new trailer would be up on their site when I got home from work this morning. If it's not up in the next few hours I guess I'll have to wait until tonight. :whistle2:([/quote]

From what I hear it's going to be up at around 10pm tonight and will roughly be about 1:10 in length or so.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I read it will be out 6 p.m. EDT

Source: http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com[/quote]

Looks like it
http://www.gta4.net/

Tonight's new trailer (titled "Good lord, what are you doing?" AKA "Everyone's a rat") will go online at 10 PM GMT (6 PM EDT) on the official GTA IV website. This will be the final trailer before the game is released next month.

Hopefully it will have some sort of multiplayer shots. Or something of substance.
It is afterall the FINAL trailer. I would guess that it's going to be the official commercial (like they did with the previous game trailers... the last being that), but the clip has been rated 18+... so who knows.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Even after I posted them, I do wonder myself though how legit the multiplayer pics are.

I notice that in a majority of them the names with dots above the heads have been switched. If you notice the chopper scene RS NYC 1 and RS NYC 2 are suddenly switched around. But it's quite possible thet *R mocked up the tags to make them look as they will in the game later because hey don't have them yet.

Pretty weird.[/quote]

If you are talking about how picture one and picture two look the same:

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']First multiplayer images slipping through a Dutch website.
Nothing said was new, but the 3 screens shown are of some multiplayer matches.

3n5bim.png

2eg4y1.png

[/quote]

I think that might just be the difference between the PS3 and 360 versions. I remember that in the EGM interview, Rockstar said the color palettes are different.

bread's done
Back