GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
THIS THREAD LOCKED, NEW ONE HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6952150

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

50% Bonus On All Games Traded (3/17/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games and receive an extra 50% trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III (4/4/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III when trade 2 select Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games.

Click Here for details.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III only. Final Fantasy XIII releases 3/11/10, God of War III releases 3/16/10. Release date subject to change. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Price shown is net after trades. God of War III's and Final Fantasy XIII's regular retail price is $59.99. Net retail will differ for special editions. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks.Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 02/22/10 - 04/04/10..[/QUOTE]

Power Trades 25% (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games towards the pre-order or purchase of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell: Conviction: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and receive an extra 25% Trade-in Credit!

Expires: 3/14/2010. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon Heart Gold or Pokemon Soul Silver. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DSi XL Promo (Unsure End Date)
[quote name='vze21gwa']Gamestop is having a trade up offer for the Nintendo DSi XL, where you can get one for $99.99 if you trade in your DSi or $129.99 if you trade in your ds lite. Just thought to let you know cause it's not posted.
[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arkansas, California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']because you know, a game has never dropped 15 in a day before at GS, especially when prices are out of whack and everyone and their mother is trading it in. you must be new around here. you should take io's class: flipping 101.

bye now.[/QUOTE]

Like taking to a wall:drool:

[quote name='killer9']lol obviously the price will drop you act like the game will drop 15 dollars 2 morrow its not get some sense in that thick head of yours[/QUOTE]

Its possible, probably down to $25, but that will kill this thing and kill it quick. Thats why I did all my flips today. Tomorrow, I will return HR.

[quote name='killer9']Like taking to a wall:drool:[/QUOTE]

I don't think that smiley means what you think it means.

Estebon - $25 is very likely since that is the buying price of most new AAA releases. Might drop a little more because of volume. I was just pulling $20 out of a hat as an example. But killer9 probably thinks the TIV will go up.

While a price drop is likely, isn't it possible for it to stay the same? Maybe GS figures ME2 will sell and will continue to take it in on that TIV.

We CAGers are a small part of the community. Even smaller are the people taking advantage of the ME2 flip.

[quote name='UberSwiss']We CAGers are a small part of the community. Even smaller are the people taking advantage of the ME2 flip.[/QUOTE]
Wait until it hits slickdeals.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't think that smiley means what you think it means.

Estebon - $25 is very likely since that is the buying price of most new AAA releases. Might drop a little more because of volume. I was just pulling $20 out of a hat as an example. But killer9 probably thinks the TIV will go up.[/QUOTE]

lol more stupidity obviously it wont go up

[quote name='UberSwiss']While a price drop is likely, isn't it possible for it to stay the same? Maybe GS figures ME2 will sell and will continue to take it in on that TIV.

We CAGers are a small part of the community. Even smaller are the people taking advantage of the ME2 flip.[/QUOTE]

Certainly possible but highly unlikely. Even without edge, you're getting 52.50 on a game. They sell it for 55. That's not the profit margin target of gamestop. If anything, they usually give you 1/3 of what they can sell it for and move to either 1/4 or 1/2 depending on the rarity/newness.

That, coupled with the mass amounts of ME2 being traded in (my local clerk just sighed when i asked him if a lot of people were trading in ME2) and the GS computers will drop the hell out of the TIV. CAG is a small community but this thing has been noted on a lot of other sites by now. I'd be highly surprised if it lasted the week, if even tomorrow. But of course, it's possible the monkey who hits the any key on the GS TIV computer is out this week.

Oh it hit slickdeals yesterday.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Wait until it hits slickdeals.[/QUOTE]

Too true, but the way I see it is not everyone owns ME2 and not everyone who has ME2 will be trading it in. I own ME2 and won't be trading it in, too much replay value for me.

With all the other games people are bringing in, GS still makes a decent profit. Could it be possible GS is using ME2's TIV to entice people to trade other titles?

^^ Very possible. It isn't a huge loss - they give you $56, and if someone with Edge buys it they only get $49.50 back - so it is a "loss" of $6.50 for them. And well, of course, even though you get $56, it is in Gamestop credit so you are gonna have to give it back to them at some point anyway (or be like me and give them an indefinite no-interest loan on the money ;)).

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I've got about 25 games ranging all systems that I want to trade away. I don't have an Edge card, but I could just buy the Edge membership and then just trade in my stuff to get the 50% + Edge Bonus right? And Edge gives 10% more + the current 50% more...so it should stack to 60% more total...unless I'm wrong about this?

Also, just to get it out of the way...what are the chances Amazon matches or does some trade deal of their own soon? Is it likely?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, someone covered it but I wouldn't expect Amazon to come up with any trade-in promo and they certainly wouldn't match this. However, since it is easy enough to look up values on Amazon you should check each game there before bringing it to GS since they might still have higher values even after the 60% bump at GS. Chances are at least 5 of those 25 will be better at Amazon and you can then split your trades.

And yes, buy the Edge card if you are trading that many. I forget if it is $10 or $15 these days, but assuming it is $15, it only takes $150 in trade-ins (or purchases) to make that back and then everything beyond that is a bonus. You'd probably make that back and then some on the one big trade you plan to make. A lot of people put down the Edge card but it has been invaluable for me, that's for sure. Another bonus is that once you get it, they'll stop bugging you about buying one ;). Plus GameInformer makes nice airplane (or bathroom) reading.

[quote name='confoosious'] you must be new around here. you should take io's class: flipping 101. [/QUOTE]

Hey, wait, is this a paid gig? Or maybe I could do one of those late night TV infomercials and sell DVDs revealing the secrets to getting rich off flipping! I could probably make more money that way then by actually doing it myself. Yeah, that's the ticket!

[quote name='UberSwiss']While a price drop is likely, isn't it possible for it to stay the same? Maybe GS figures ME2 will sell and will continue to take it in on that TIV.

We CAGers are a small part of the community. Even smaller are the people taking advantage of the ME2 flip.[/QUOTE]

Its possible it will remain the same, but you should not assume that it will last forever.

Also, I found several Ass creeds with those map codes. Any way to tell if its been used? Same with the ME2 Cerebus code?

Also, I was told by an employee. B2G1 free starts March 13/17. She said she got an email about it. I can't remember which date she said since it was mindless shit shooting.

[quote name='Estebon']Also, I was told by an employee. B2G1 free starts March 13/17. She said she got an email about it. I can't remember which date she said since it was mindless shit shooting.[/QUOTE]

:drool: if this is true.

[quote name='Estebon']Also, I was told by an employee. B2G1 free starts March 13/17. She said she got an email about it. I can't remember which date she said since it was mindless shit shooting.[/QUOTE]

I believe it.

I was talking to an employee at my local GS and he said they usually have their B2G1 around holidays. Since spring break is coming up for schools, I got a feeling they're going to do this.

[quote name='io']Hey, wait, is this a paid gig? Or maybe I could do one of those late night TV infomercials and sell DVDs revealing the secrets to getting rich off flipping! I could probably make more money that way then by actually doing it myself. Yeah, that's the ticket![/QUOTE]
If you do this, you totally have to get one of those dollar sign jackets.

Hell yeah on the upcoming B2G1 sale. And to think that before this week, I was actually worried that it might be tough to find used copies of Mass Effect 2. ;)

[quote name='gamewizardx']I just hit over $400 credit on my card today. I stated to think how safe is the credit on the card? It would be easy for a Gamestop worker to write the number down and then use it. There really wouldn't be a way to prove that you weren't the one to use the credit. Maybe to be safe we pre order blizzard games to hold the credits instead of having it on the card. God knows those games wont come out any time soon.[/QUOTE]

i have had an employee steal credit from my edge card before. luckily the dm gave it back to me. dont scratch off the number on the back. they need that to do it. if it is scratched off then i wouldnt leave a ton on there.

[quote name='frankcastle']i have had an employee steal credit from my edge card before. luckily the dm gave it back to me. dont scratch off the number on the back. they need that to do it. if it is scratched off then i wouldnt leave a ton on there.[/QUOTE]

or you could place a small black piece of tape or something over it.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Actually, I may be thinking of another code. Which was the one that sparked the whole 36% glitch thing?[/QUOTE]

I think it was the FEB20OFF one or something to do with pre-orders. I forget which. But a few people I've added from CAG to my PSN account acted like it was this insane deal.

Meh. When you don't pay MSRP 90% of the time, nearly 40% off of games that haven't even come out yet=whoop dee frickin' doo.

Updated lists and database.

"You've managed to kill just about everyone else, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target."

Here is what I got for my trade-ins:

SMG Wii $15 (base) $24 (promo + edge)

Prince of Persia PS3 $5.25 (base) $8.39 (promo + edge)

Disgaea 3 PS3 $9.25 (base) $14.79 (promo + edge)

D3 is the only price difference that I saw. It was $8.75.

I got a grand total of $47.18,and used my $20 GC to get Heavy Rain. Not to bad,considering that D3 was a free game to me,because I just bought Demon's Souls and D3 for $30 total from a guy on my local CL last week. The way I see it is that DS was $30 and D3 was free.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jp0213']Updated lists and database.

"You've managed to kill just about everyone else, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target."[/QUOTE]

You're going to HAVE to come down here!

Went ahead and updated the information. Not surprised by the drop, a little surprised it wasn't more though.

[quote name='jinxpalm']Just called gamestop a few minutes ago...

Mass Effect 2 TIV $30[/QUOTE]

Wow only a $5 price drop? seems like it would be still worth it to trade it in if you are finished. You will get $49.50 with the bonus and edge combined.

[quote name='jinxpalm']Just called gamestop a few minutes ago...

Mass Effect 2 TIV $30[/QUOTE]
Wait, that's it? That means it's still exploitable with CAG16 + Edge on gamestop.com.

$48 TIV - $37.79 + sales tax from gamestop.com.

[quote name='rvdnsx']Actually it's 48 tiv for me2 after promo and edge[/QUOTE]

Oh ok I see what I did wrong. I took 10% of the $45 instead of the base TIV of $30. Thanks for not trying to flame me (like some other CAGs are known to do).

Just thought I would share my experience trying to trade in ME2 yesterday. I went in to the same GS I bought the game from on launch day. I handed my copy to the guy behind the counter. Standing next to him was the employee that sold me the game only a month ago. The guy I handed the game to checked the back of the discs, scanned the game box, asked for my edge card, etc. The little card swiping machine with the display showed the $56.

Then the guy just stopped and said that he couldn't accept it. He said something about a lot of people coming in with ME2 with the discs being in perfect or near perfect condition, and that they were turning people away because of the possibility of them being stolen goods. He asked if I had my receipt. I said that I did at home. He said if I brought it with the game, they could accept it. I asked them if they had records of purchases through their edge program or some other way (I find this hard to believe). After politely asking them a few more questions, I left the store confused. What just happened?

So I'm being punished for being a responsible adult and taking care of my game discs and not treating them like frisbees. The first thing I do when I buy a game is install it to my hard drive for that very reason. I've never stolen anything in my life, and I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal. OF COURSE they're going to see a lot of copies of ME2 come back to the store. They're giving more than 95% of the MSRP as a TIV. What did they expect?

This isn't a criticism of GS as a corporation, but moreso a criticism of that particular store. They won't be getting my business in the near future. Luckily, there are about 6 locations within a 5-mile radius of my house.

[quote name='Mutus']Just thought I would share my experience trying to trade in ME2 yesterday. I went in to the same GS I bought the game from on launch day. I handed my copy to the guy behind the counter. Standing next to him was the employee that sold me the game only a month ago. The guy I handed the game to checked the back of the discs, scanned the game box, asked for my edge card, etc. The little card swiping machine with the display showed the $56.

Then the guy just stopped and said that he couldn't accept it. He said something about a lot of people coming in with ME2 with the discs being in perfect or near perfect condition, and that they were turning people away because of the possibility of them being stolen goods. He asked if I had my receipt. I said that I did at home. He said if I brought it with the game, they could accept it. I asked them if they had records of purchases through their edge program or some other way (I find this hard to believe). After politely asking them a few more questions, I left the store confused. What just happened?

So I'm being punished for being a responsible adult and taking care of my game discs and not treating them like frisbees. The first thing I do when I buy a game is install it to my hard drive for that very reason. I've never stolen anything in my life, and I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal. OF COURSE they're going to see a lot of copies of ME2 come back to the store. They're giving more than 95% of the MSRP as a TIV. What did they expect?

This isn't a criticism of GS as a corporation, but moreso a criticism of that particular store. They won't be getting my business in the near future. Luckily, there are about 6 locations within a 5-mile radius of my house.[/QUOTE]

You should've told him to fuck off for accusing you of being a thief.

[quote name='Mutus']Just thought I would share my experience trying to trade in ME2 yesterday. I went in to the same GS I bought the game from on launch day. I handed my copy to the guy behind the counter. Standing next to him was the employee that sold me the game only a month ago. The guy I handed the game to checked the back of the discs, scanned the game box, asked for my edge card, etc. The little card swiping machine with the display showed the $56.

This isn't a criticism of GS as a corporation, but moreso a criticism of that particular store. They won't be getting my business in the near future. Luckily, there are about 6 locations within a 5-mile radius of my house.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds like one dipshit that took advantage of you. Im 99% sure they did that because they already had more ME2's than they wanted in stock, so they came up with some excuse to start not accepting them.

Or they got a call from corporate saying "make any excuse in the book NOT to take ME2 trade-ins"

What a bastard move. Props to you keeping your cool. And who the hell keeps their receipt a month after a game comes out? I certainly don't. So I would have been SOL.

[quote name='MasterSun1']You should've told him to fuck off for accusing you of being a thief.[/QUOTE]

Can I make a suggestion, call the customer service line. Report the situation and tell them that your next call is to the BBB. Then ask for the District Manager's number. Go back to the store with that number, remind them of who you are and what you've done so far. Tell them you were told that you were told by the customer service people to go back, demand the appropriate TIV (regardless of any drop) and to call the district manager while in the store if they didn't accommodate you.

You said exactly what i was thinking when I read this. Thankfully GS is like Starbucks anymore if you're like me you can literally walk across the street to another store, or even hop in the car and drive a few blocks to the next one. They're like weeds, they're everywhere.

Sorry, I'm on a call right now and can't check myself...

anyone know the TIV for Heavy Rain?

We can leave it at that, let people connect the dots themselves rather than cause a new firestorm.

Mutus - really stupid of them. All the guy had to do is simply say "we're not taking any more ME2 cause we have too many right now." The GS trade agreement clearly states they can refuse any trade for any reason. I believe it just fits under "manager approval."

[quote name='Doomtime']What a bastard move. Props to you keeping your cool. And who the hell keeps their receipt a month after a game comes out? I certainly don't. So I would have been SOL.[/QUOTE]

I do.

With CAG and my weak willpower I have a massive backlog of games and I if I don't touch the game in about a like 3 weeks(most stores have a 30 day return policy), or I find it cheaper I return it.(Mostly cheaper)

Traded in some games last night, got the $35 for ME2. Obviously that's changed now from what I'm reading.

PS3
Star Wars Force Unleashed Sith Edition - $12
MLB 09: The Show - $6.50

Xbox 360
Vancouver Winter Olympics - $13.50

Those are just the base prices.

What's funnier though is if you brought in a beat up copy of ME2, they probably would've charged you a refurb fee for it, which would've invalidated the promo being used on it.

An $8 drop from yesterday though, that's not half bad considering it's still only $7 below what they charge for a used copy that you're getting back.:D

Maybe Best Buy's coupon guy from marketing went to work at Gamestop now?

[quote name='Doomtime']What a bastard move. Props to you keeping your cool. And who the hell keeps their receipt a month after a game comes out? I certainly don't. So I would have been SOL.[/QUOTE]

Really? I hope if you own a PS3 that's less than a year old you don't need to get it sent in for in warranty service because without the receipt you're paying the $150 out of warranty service charge AND paying for shipping too.

I always keep my receipts for 90 days(or whatever the return policy is on them), so that if I have an issue within that period I can just go in and show my receipt and get a different copy.

[quote name='confoosious']Mutus - really stupid of them. All the guy had to do is simply say "we're not taking any more ME2 cause we have too many right now." The GS trade agreement clearly states they can refuse any trade for any reason. I believe it just fits under "manager approval."[/QUOTE]

For some reason it's just easier for them to lie. I don't know if they're taught in the store or some CAGs just get lucky finding the shady employees.

Last time I asked an employee for a penny guide that was sitting behind the counter, he told me: "Oh, that's new inventory, and it has not yet been entered into the system, so I cannot sell it". :roll:. Come on just tell me the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back