Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

I'll add you when I get home. It would be nice to find people to party up with on a semi-regular basis. (edit:both of you)

[quote name='Advocatus']I bet there is a difference in Ranked vs Social. I have a feeling Ranked are the more serious players who log on to play not to argue with squeaky voiced teens.[/quote]

Nah. Ranked and Unranked aren't too different outside of the fact that more people talk in ranked games and have mics.

Anyways, if you're doing Big Team I'll join in. It's the gametype I excel in and have the most fun in unless it's constantly lagging. Doesn't look like I'll be doing what I originally had planned due to weather complications.

Word, I get very annoyed when I'm doing a ranked team match and I'm the only person on my team with a mic. Not that most people actually talk much to coordinate when it's just a random team, but hell it's nice if they at least have the ability to comm.

Melee is pretty much fixed now outside of the mauler+bonk combo ftw, or so it seems.
Makes the game a lot more playable.

Now they just need to patch the game up to Valentines Day tournament speed.

I'm down for some ranked halo 3 goodness I havent gotten the update yet so i hope I can adapt well. My wife just gripped me a wii so i havent been on my box cept for playing Spidey Friend or Foe. I am rank 27 and im trying to get to 30 so I can get major status willing to play with some ranked caggers hit me up on my GT.

One of the new maps was given a sneak peak today.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13287

Halo3_DLC2_GhostTown_01f.jpg

Halo3_DLC2_GhostTown_02.jpg

Halo3_DLC2_GhostTown_03.jpg

Alright! It would appear I owe a couple people my sincere apologies for being a noob. I was playing Halo tonight with Draekon, and anyone else from CAG who wanted to play... however I suck at being a party leader. There were approximately three people who attempted to join or ask to join the game, but all of the messages came while we were currently in a match... and I didn't realized at the time that those are not considered Live Emails... so once the match was over, I didn't know the proper spelling of the gamer tags. (I suck at haxorspeak)

I did try to find you Stealth Kilz, and the other two people who asked to join. Next time please send an email as well as a game join... so when the match is over, I'll have your gamertag, and I can send you an offer once we're back in the lobby.

Sorry for my screw up.

This simultaneous melee kill each other is getting hilarious. Surprised there wasn't a new achievement saying "Achievement unlocked: You have successfully knocked each other out!"

[quote name='Advocatus']I already miss the flying 400 ft backwards after a melee hit...though it was my death, I was laughing from it.[/quote]

Yeah thise were great. At first I was like wtf is there a super melee.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Melee is pretty much fixed now outside of the mauler+bonk combo ftw, or so it seems.
Makes the game a lot more playable.

Now they just need to patch the game up to Valentines Day tournament speed.[/quote]

It was a different speed? I played it for a few games and didn't notice anything different.

[quote name='wubb']Linkin - What's the Graduate achievement glitch? I got that one w/o a problem.[/quote]

There's a few but fortunately (or unfortunately for me) not many that got the graduate pin on their service record but never triggered the actual achievement. Therefore those of us with the issue can never achieve 1000GS which also means no Katana sword until its fixed.

Played Big team battle for (I think) the first time yesterday. Fun but seems like little more than a coin flip for the winner/loser especially if you are going in by yourself. I'm sure I'll play it some more.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There's a few but fortunately (or unfortunately for me) not many that got the graduate pin on their service record but never triggered the actual achievement. Therefore those of us with the issue can never achieve 1000GS which also means no Katana sword until its fixed.[/QUOTE]

Ah, well that sucks.

"
Killionaire!

Kill 10 opponents within 4 seconds of the previous kill.
"

Is that really a medal and if so how could you possibly earn it?

[quote name='wubb']"
Killionaire!

"

Is that really a medal and if so how could you possibly earn it?[/quote]

Its real...and my guess is by mere luck or...boosting:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HN79WfW_Ew&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='wubb']Played Big team battle for (I think) the first time yesterday. Fun but seems like little more than a coin flip for the winner/loser especially if you are going in by yourself. I'm sure I'll play it some more.[/quote]

If you go in by yourself, yeah. It's pretty team dependant and even just one more person you know will help make a difference. I just usually pick the type as I can actually find enemies to kill without tracking half the map. Plus there are all types of vehicles in it which I enjoy.

[quote name='wubb']"
Killionaire!

"

Is that really a medal and if so how could you possibly earn it?[/quote]

Yeah, it's possible. Just really rare for someone to get it legitly. While I was playing Halo 2 I think I only hit 10 kills once ever in like 1300 games or so.

Though if CAGs ever start up some Grifball once the map pack releases free, it would be a little bit more common then rare when playing legitly even though it would be a custom game.

[quote name='wubb']"
Killionaire!

"

Is that really a medal and if so how could you possibly earn it?[/QUOTE]

thumb.php

She exists, but im not sure how to get it in a "standard" game type. It could be pretty easy in say a griffball setting.

Melee fix rules. Now i wonder if i can get the marathon man achievement . it would never work for me in the past.

[quote name='Draekon']If you go in by yourself, yeah. It's pretty team dependant and even just one more person you know will help make a difference. I just usually pick the type as I can actually find enemies to kill without tracking half the map. Plus there are all types of vehicles in it which I enjoy.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was definitely neat. I managed to hop in the Banshee (map was Valhalla) at one point and only managed to shoot one or two people before somebody lasered me. It was pretty cool.

You also get to pump rounds into distracted people a lot more often. :lol:

Does anyone still play co-op? I just started playing Halo 3 and could use some help tackling Legendary for fun and achievements.

For anyone that is serious about playing some Halo 3, please add me.

For awhile I was playing every night but suddenly none of my friends play games anymore.

If your need team mates just send me a PM. I think im 36 doubles/35 team slayer and im going to be playing this game like hell till R6 Vegas 2 is out, so im trying to finally reach 45 and possibly 50 in those game types. Just keep in mind you should be in your 30's to we so we can both level up evenly.

The Valentines Day was definitely faster, and I believe Bungie said that themselves somewhere. It was a little bit too fast in the sniping respects, reminds of me Halo 2 earlier speed but the movement speed was very much appreciated being much more faster.

I tried playing Halo again, but I'm getting some serious lag. I don't know why, but after 5 mins from when the game starts, my connection would just pifall and stay in the red. I switch over to my regular games in CoD and no lag. Damn. Thought I would go back and play some slayer, but this lag is killing me.

Ah. It looks like it's the auto update that's causing the lag. Hopefully a few more games will make the latency settle down. Hopefully then I can get back into Halo 3.

[quote name='Cantaloup']Does anyone still play co-op? I just started playing Halo 3 and could use some help tackling Legendary for fun and achievements.[/quote]

We had a thread for such people, I had a group once give it a shot but there was ALOT of lag so we quit. send me a request and we can try it out.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, they really need to raise the friends list limit.[/quote]

I second that, but they won't. I've slowly been reducing the number of friends on my list.

We do have the Halo Clan gamertag, but I don't know how many of those people are actually actively playing Halo 3 anymore.

[quote name='Draekon']I second that, but they won't. I've slowly been reducing the number of friends on my list.

We do have the Halo Clan gamertag, but I don't know how many of those people are actually actively playing Halo 3 anymore.[/quote]

We could redo the list for active members.

[quote name='Draekon']I second that, but they won't. I've slowly been reducing the number of friends on my list.

We do have the Halo Clan gamertag, but I don't know how many of those people are actually actively playing Halo 3 anymore.[/quote]

Heck, I'd pay to have a higher limit. 400 MS points for 50 more names is reasonable.

Well last night I decided to be brave and step away from the social players and try some ranked... alright I admit it... I wanted to see the 'ranked' side of the stats at bungie.net fill up... so I tried ranked team slayer and the first game I found three other people who were using mics and communicating efficiently. Without saying anything after the match we partied up and played for another 3 hours. We weren't good, and I still am not, but we won a few matches because we were working together so well.

THAT is why I play multiplayer games... now I have a craving to go back to Battlefield 2. I guess eventually I'll have to get COD4 as well.

I'd love to play some ranked team slayer with anyone out there in the cag community, but the caveat is I'm only a skill rank 5.

[quote name='Advocatus']Well last night I decided to be brave and step away from the social players and try some ranked... alright I admit it... I wanted to see the 'ranked' side of the stats at bungie.net fill up... so I tried ranked team slayer and the first game I found three other people who were using mics and communicating efficiently. Without saying anything after the match we partied up and played for another 3 hours. We weren't good, and I still am not, but we won a few matches because we were working together so well.

THAT is why I play multiplayer games... now I have a craving to go back to Battlefield 2. I guess eventually I'll have to get COD4 as well.

I'd love to play some ranked team slayer with anyone out there in the cag community, but the caveat is I'm only a skill rank 5.[/quote]

If you are looking for team work, COD 4 is not where you want to be.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Anyone else sign up with Halocal?

http://halocal.com[/quote]

Just did but it doesn't seem like anything special. I like Junk.ws as their stat compilation is pretty cool (Example). Takes a couple days for them to fully process your stats and they have to have admins activate your account. Wouldn't be surprised if halocal was a little more accurate on some things seeing as how Junk.ws records every little thing including custom games.

Is anyone interested in forming a Cheap Ass Gamer team on Grifball.com? The current season is closed, so we'd be signing up in the next one.

Update: I've made a GamerTag solely for this purpose, shoot "CAG Grifball" an invite if you want in on the action, tournament or otherwise.

~HotShotX

I'd like to play some Grifball wether it's tournament or not. If there's more than enough people to fit the team, I can at least play matches outside of tournament games.

Seen last night during a Land Grab match with a random team last night: My teammate crouching next to a flag that had already beeen claimed by the enemy. Sweet!

Here's a crazy strategy that works for me at Territories on Valhalla when on offense. Hop in a mongoose and make a beeline for the opp's base. If you aren't killed on the way most likely everyone on the other team has quickly moved out to territory 1 or 2 and it will be empty so with a bit of luck you capture 5 before they make it back. Helps if the other team has at least a few clueless dudes but that's pretty common.

[quote name='Advocatus']Well last night I decided to be brave and step away from the social players and try some ranked... alright I admit it... I wanted to see the 'ranked' side of the stats at bungie.net fill up... so I tried ranked team slayer and the first game I found three other people who were using mics and communicating efficiently. Without saying anything after the match we partied up and played for another 3 hours. We weren't good, and I still am not, but we won a few matches because we were working together so well.

I'd love to play some ranked team slayer with anyone out there in the cag community, but the caveat is I'm only a skill rank 5.[/QUOTE]

Noice. Most of the time I'll play 4 or 5 matches and I'm lucky to run into one guy who wants to talk about some sort of minimal strategy. But I must admit that most of the time I don't initiate working stuff out so I guess I'm also to blame. I'll try to call out if I see where a sniper is camped or if a dude with the shotgun/hammer/sword is a in a good ambush spot but often that's about it.

[quote name='wubb']Here's a crazy strategy that works for me at Territories[/QUOTE]

The 5th flag is also a difficult nut to crack on Last Stand. I guess this plan will work well on that map as well... just so long when it's your turn on defense you don't go wondering off at the start of the game. They will likely try the same thing.

It's satisfying to find people who understand the clock face positions for spotting enemies... I'm typically driving the warthog and telling my gunner, 12 o'clock, 5 o'clock... too often people are just spinning around in there shooting wildly while the stickies start coming in.

edit: NICE! XBL:admiralalodar 666th.

[quote name='wubb']Noice. Most of the time I'll play 4 or 5 matches and I'm lucky to run into one guy who wants to talk about some sort of minimal strategy. But I must admit that most of the time I don't initiate working stuff out so I guess I'm also to blame. I'll try to call out if I see where a sniper is camped or if a dude with the shotgun/hammer/sword is a in a good ambush spot but often that's about it.[/quote]

Which is why the best thing a sniper can do is move around while sniping but unfortunetly most don't. You should hit up some CAGs to join up with you. At least we'll talk even if it's just the pointing out of other units as advanced strategy is generally left for tightly knit groups. :p

[quote name='Advocatus']It's satisfying to find people who understand the clock face positions for spotting enemies... I'm typically driving the warthog and telling my gunner, 12 o'clock, 5 o'clock... too often people are just spinning around in there shooting wildly while the stickies start coming in.[/quote]

I tend to say front/behind/front left/etc and if I notice someone holding a spartan laser or missle pod I'll say it repeatedly. Outside of that I announce "Hog in front" or "Banshee back left" when it comes to vehicles. I pretty much let my gunner pick where to shoot outside of those or if he isn't having an action at the moment.

The worst thing you can generally do as a driver is stop for more than a second or two when you're having your gunner shoot at someone. It's ok to do it while you're hiding you and your gunner to get your shields back up and to temporarily hide from a laser, but it's not good otherwise really. Makes it too easy a target for anything and everything.

Sliding with the triggers is especially useful for heavy turns and I've actually dodged a few lasers doing that. If you aren't using that, learn to and it makes driving so much easier and will give you better control of the warthog once you learn to use it well.

Granted my way isn't the only way nor is it probably the best but I find it works well for me. Unfortunetly 95% of the warthog gunners out there cannot shoot worth a damn (neither can I but that's why I drive and not gun) or are willing to listen.

EDIT:

[quote name='HotShotX']Update: I've made a GamerTag solely for this purpose, shoot "CAG Grifball" an invite if you want in on the action, tournament or otherwise.[/quote]

Request sent.

I like Team Control here and there but it can be so frustrating if you get guys on your team who don't have a clue. I usually go for the closest territory in land grab if nobody else is sitting there just because you better at least try for that closest one asap. So I was doing that in a game yesterday for all 3 rounds. On the 2nd and 3rd round I got that first territory just as the opps captured 3 separate other territories. WTF were my other 3 teammates doing out there.

But anyway yeah I'd love to play with some CAGs. As I've said I'm not terribly good and I want to play to have fun more than to powerlevel.

Meh, the only two I'm serious about in ranked matches is Team Slayer (Rank 30) and Team Doubles (Only rank 7 but I'm working on it with my cousin). Outside of that I could care less and most of my games are social anyways.

Recently found out that the team control type games are less annoying than they use to be. What I hated about it is it going on four rounds and now it's been reduced to two (one for each time) which made the game drag on far longer than I wanted it to. I particularly like King of the Hill though. Wish they had territories the way they had it in Halo 2 as I miss it a lot and actually really liked theirs. Though I wouldn't mind playing it just not too much or I'll choke on a frog.

Could care less how good a player is anyways so long as they don't purposely bring the team down by just idling there, team killing, or whatever. Anyhow, I'll probably jump on when I get home for a little bit around 1PM CST. Will probably play throughout the afternoon since I'm forced to babysit someone for the next week and a half. Just hit me up through Live or even CAG (Email alerts ftw?) and I'll invite you after the current game is done.

[quote name='Draekon']
Sliding with the triggers is especially useful for heavy turns and I've actually dodged a few lasers doing that. If you aren't using that, learn to and it makes driving so much easier and will give you better control of the warthog once you learn to use it well.[/QUOTE]

That's a great suggestion, thanks. I used powerslide in campaign Halo 2, but haven't used it yet in multiplayer Halo 3. I typically try to keep a steady weapons platform for my gunner. So I'm usually always moving however relatively slow. It offers no protection against lasers, but it tends to allow the gunner to perform better. I'll have to remember the triggers when it's time to get the jeep out of dodge.

Often when I get in as the gunner, the driver gets too close to the target so that either we get highjacked, or the target is actually below where the gun can target.

Wubb: Not that Draekon needs a recommendation, but we played quite a few matches the other day, it was great. Hopefully I can party up with the two of you guys sometime soon.

I'm not huge into boasting, but I'm just so darn proud of this... it brings a little tear to my eye. I know this isn't special, but I feel the need to tell people who can relate. The thing is, I hate the sniper rifle. This was ranked team slayer.

[quote name='Advocatus']I'm not huge into boasting, but I'm just so darn proud of this... it brings a little tear to my eye. I know this isn't special, but I feel the need to tell people who can relate. The thing is, I hate the sniper rifle. This was ranked team slayer.[/quote]

I use to suck at the sniper rifle but I'm pretty decent with it right now. Like they say, practice makes perfect.

[quote name='Advocatus']I'm not huge into boasting, but I'm just so darn proud of this... it brings a little tear to my eye. I know this isn't special, but I feel the need to tell people who can relate. The thing is, I hate the sniper rifle. This was ranked team slayer.
[/quote]

Nice dude.

Sorry I haven't met up with you yet online.

bread's done
Back