How hard is it to find the Original Version of RE4 GCN?

mgsvr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I don't have the GC anymore, but going to get the Revolution ASAP to play Zelda and RE4. Owned a PS2 as well, but don't want the inferior version.

Anyway, is it hard to find the original version (non-Player Choice). Hmmmm this place have a copy that is original brand new for 21 bucks shipped, I don't know if I should buy it now or not.

Even if I buy it I won't be able to play it until 6-7 more months. But if I don't get it now, it will be HARD to find the Original version right? Help me...

It seems to be hard to find one for around $15 which I was looking for. Go to ebay they sell for around $17 there +tax, some users have it for sale here as well for about the same price.

I would not think it would be too hard to find an original one.
Is it just the packaging that concerns you? There are no difference between the Player's Choice and original...as far as gameplay goes.
I would think that Ebay would be the way to go so that you are guaranteed an original package over the new one.
I just got rid of an original copy last week.
Also, EBGAMES/Gamestop might be a good resource...it goes for $17.99 used there.

Well I just don't like the ugly yellow tag line Player Choice on a masterpiece game like RE4.

So is it worth it get a game at $21 brand new Original Version but I won't able to play it until I get the Revolution?

ya it is worth it either way, but as an owner of both the GC and PS2 versions, the PS2 version is just as good, if not even better because of all the extras, graphically they are equal.

[quote name='mr ryles']ya it is worth it either way, but as an owner of both the GC and PS2 versions, the PS2 version is just as good, if not even better because of all the extras, graphically they are equal.[/QUOTE]

Graphically equal? Well, not really. I had them side by side at a freinds house and the GC version did look better.

Here is what IGN said in their Head to Head:

GameCube Advantages
Stronger framerate-- Only during boss battles and areas within the frozen lab.
Higher resolution for environmental textures
Stronger lighting effects

GameCube Disadvantages
No true widescreen--Letterboxed

PlayStation 2 Advantages
True 16:9 Widescreen-- though not much is added to what you see on screen

PlayStation 2 Disadvantages
Less detail in textures-- On environments and characters
Minor Aliasing
Framerate--Minor slowdown during boss battles and tight-spaces
Weaker visual atmosphere--less contrast between light and dark
Less polygons
Subdued or completely missing particle effects

The Breakdown: Visually, the PS2 had its work cut out for it matching the graphical excellence of the original and from the first frame of the first scene, in the first level, noticeable (but slight) downgrading was made to compensate for the PS2's less memory space. The significant compromise that inevitably had to be made is the resolution of environmental textures and lighting throughout the games separate stages. But also, minor intricacies like the leather and fur on Leon's jacket, and fog effects don't look quite as authentic as they did on the GameCube, though only if you've spent time with the original, will you notice. Specifically, in high contrast areas where light and dark plays off one other, lighting effects have been toned down making the moody atmospheres not as, well, moody in areas like the frozen lab and the mining tunnels. Larger creatures like "El Gigante'" for example, loose some of their detail and users can see more jagged and smooth edges around what would have been curved, cracked skin on the GCN. One aspect of the PS2 version that only becomes apparent when placed side-by-side with the Gamecube, is it's lower polygon count. Watch the two videos and you can see that trees were removed or made smaller, and certain particle effects, like the catapult explosions in the castle are missing entirely.

Is the metal case collector's edition of RE4 (PS2) very hard to find now? Is it worth paying a premium price ($50+) for?

This game is not hard to find at all. It wasn't all that long ago that ToysRus sold them for $9.99. I realize they are now sold out, but you won't have to pay much more than that to get a copy.
By the way, graphics do not a great game make. I consider the PS2 version to be far superior because of all the extra modes it contains.
I have an opened, but never played, non-players choice, GameCube version I'd gladly trade for a PS2 copy in like new condition.

Thanks Nephilim for the comparison. Yea I've seen many cut out for the PS2 like the trees cut down, less enemies on screen at once or something..etc. Longer loading time, jaggies, not so good control as the GC, and the ATMOSPHERE is torn down.

I'm sure it's not hard to find RE4 for the GCN. I'm asking about finding a Non-PC and Brand New is hard or not nowaday. If you guys say it hard, I'll get the $21 offer right away.

[quote name='ragtop70']This game is not hard to find at all. It wasn't all that long ago that ToysRus sold them for $9.99. I realize they are now sold out, but you won't have to pay much more than that to get a copy.
By the way, graphics do not a great game make. I consider the PS2 version to be far superior because of all the extra modes it contains.
I have an opened, but never played, non-players choice, GameCube version I'd gladly trade for a PS2 copy in like new condition.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting both version since this game is a masterpiece. It just that 6-7 more months, it would be really HARD to find a non-PC RE4 GCN edition. And I don't know if $21 would be it.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']It shouldn't be too hard to find a non PC copy in 6 months.[/QUOTE]

We know that much. BUT hunting down a brand new copy will be much tougher.

[quote name='obiwayne']Is it just the packaging that concerns you? There are no difference between the Player's Choice and original...as far as gameplay goes.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered why some people make a big fuss over that slight difference in packaging. Its the same game. And there are far better priorities in life than worrying about packaging. Trust me, I am not losing any sleep at night just because my RE4 is a "greatest hits" edition.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I've always wondered why some people make a big fuss over that slight difference in packaging. Its the same game. And there are far better priorities in life than worrying about packaging. Trust me, I am not losing any sleep at night just because my RE4 is a "greatest hits" edition.[/QUOTE]

It drives me crazy. I'm in the process of phasing out (rebuying) all of the games in my collection that are greatest hits/ player's choice (unless the greatest hits version is superior such as Devil May Cry 3, Virtual Fighter 4, etc.). The player's choice label isn't so bad but the red label for the greatest hits games are so ugly (distracting). It shouldn't matter that much, but I like my stuff to be consistent. Maybe I have a mental disorder or something. Who knows?!

[quote name='wbc1228']It drives me crazy. I'm in the process of phasing out (rebuying) all of the games in my collection that are greatest hits/ player's choice (unless the greatest hits version is superior such as Devil May Cry 3, Virtual Fighter 4, etc.). The player's choice label isn't so bad but the red label for the greatest hits games are so ugly (distracting). It shouldn't matter that much, but I like my stuff to be consistent. Maybe I have a mental disorder or something. Who knows?![/QUOTE]

It just seems to be that a good chunk of the folks around here are obsessive like that. Me... I'm happy to be getting the cheaper price on it regardless of the greatest hits label on top.

Now however... horrendous covers like that recent "13 Going On 30: Fun And Flirty Edition" DVD.... now that I can see passing on. But to pass on getting a perfectly fine copy of RE4 cheap just because of a little yellow label on top.... sorry, but I would much rather get the game and enjoy it now than to be that obsessive over a label. Not to offend anyone who does care but that's just me.

i think the GC version, the villagers wear more hats than the PS2 version. its funny when i shoot their faces and the hats fall off.

The player's choice label isn't so bad but the red label for the greatest hits games are so ugly (distracting). It shouldn't matter that much, but I like my stuff to be consistent. Maybe I have a mental disorder or something. Who knows?!

Actually all my games are all original as well, those Red or Yellow tag line are horrible. However some Greatest Hits like God of War actually is not too bad. Nintendo need to kill that Yellow tag line away, it's butt ugly. MS rocks with their Silver Platinum though.

Oh and I just bought the Original Brand New RE4 for 21 shipped.

f8_1.JPG

[quote name='mgsvr']
[/QUOTE]

Good call. $21 for an original sealed copy of one of the best games this gen is a great deal.

[quote name='mgsvr']The player's choice label isn't so bad but the red label for the greatest hits games are so ugly (distracting). It shouldn't matter that much, but I like my stuff to be consistent. Maybe I have a mental disorder or something. Who knows?!

Actually all my games are all original as well, those Red or Yellow tag line are horrible. However some Greatest Hits like God of War actually is not too bad. Nintendo need to kill that Yellow tag line away, it's butt ugly. MS rocks with their Silver Platinum though.

f8_1.JPG
[/QUOTE]

i would think you could find a new copy of an original at BB of GoW and use the GGC. maybe they're all gone now. anyway, i've got a sealed original RE 4 that's been sitting in my TL closet since Christmas time. oh and i found a $10 Wind Waker non PC at Sears a while ago.

I wouldn't say it's too hard to find.

I was at EB games this morning and they had non-PC new/sealed copies behind the glass case.

I have problems with Ebgame store. I told them I want to buy BRAND NEW, and they take the disc and pop in the box saying it's brand new. They also tell me to look for scratches o_O

Good call. $21 for an original sealed copy of one of the best games this gen is a great deal.

Yea but I have to wait until later this year/early next year to get the Revolution to play it.

ps: GH God of War is not too bad, it actually looks good.

I can get you a collector's edition from Gamestop if you're interested. It won't cost you 50 bucks but it's not gonna be cheap either.

I too hate the different covers; I wonder how hard it would be to get a scan of the original packaging and make it look good enough to put in the case... Kind of like the N64 cover project mentioned on the front page a while back.

[quote name='wbc1228'] It drives me crazy. I'm in the process of phasing out (rebuying) all of the games in my collection that are greatest hits/ player's choice (unless the greatest hits version is superior such as Devil May Cry 3, Virtual Fighter 4, etc.). The player's choice label isn't so bad but the red label for the greatest hits games are so ugly (distracting). It shouldn't matter that much, but I like my stuff to be consistent. Maybe I have a mental disorder or something. Who knows?! [/quote]

It's called OCD -- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. ;)

bread's done
Back