HUGE Criterion and Kino DVD sale...

andysavestheday

CAGiversary!
For all you cinemaholics like me, DVDplanet and deepdiscount are both having HUGE Criterion sales and deepdiscount is having a Kino DVD sale as well. Kino has a lot of older movies like Criterion, with a lot of great stuff (man with a movie camera, Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, etc) avalible super cheap.

Perfect way to either build a library (that's what I'm doing) or introduce yourself to the vast collection of the greatest works in the history of cinema.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Kino-Sale_stcVVcatId474520VVviewcat.htm

DVDplanet has about the same prices on the Criterions ONLY and even have these coupons to sweeten the deal:

MARCH2007 $5 OFF $50
PREMAR2007 $10 OFF $125
SPRINGCHICKEN $7 OFF $80

If you're interested in these kind of films, check out criterionforum.org, the best place for discussion and information.

Poor, poor little Second Run. I was about to drop my last (extra) $50 at their site and this pops up.

This is a nice sale, indeed. Is this pricing scheme in line with their twice a year sale? It seems about the same, or cheaper, to me. I don't know DDD's standard discount so I can't judge. Regardless, those are damn good prices. Too bad I don't have much money (luckily two weeks is plenty of time to scrounge up $200 in spending monies). :)

I went ahead and got In the Mood for Love. I've been putting that purchase off forever. Now what else to get on my list. Deals on some of the box sets look tempting (the new Rohmer box, Rebel Samurai, Mr. Arkadin, etc.), and then there's other stuff I need (read: want) like Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Double Life of Veronique, etc. Man, I'm so excited.

However, not to whine, but I hope this doesn't effect the normal twice a year sale. I don't care about the selection as all I buy at these sales are Criterions anyway, but I wanted to capitalize on the June sale by gobbling up all the amazing stuff being released in April/May (Army of Shadows, Sansho/the Greatest Film EVER, Overlord and The Third Man all being must-haves for me).

What an odd and wonderful sale. Thanks for posting this. :applause:

most of the kino and CC titles are obscure to me

i know the classic stuff

but if anyone has any recco's for the lesser known stuff, pls post here

[quote name='PKRipp3r']most of the kino and CC titles are obscure to me

i know the classic stuff

but if anyone has any recco's for the lesser known stuff, pls post here[/quote]
I really don't know about Kino. Most of the "classics" on that label are done better on other labels (Master of Cinema, Tartan, Artificial Eye, Second Run, Criterion, Asmik Ace, etc.), but I do know they have a good selection of avant garde stuff. I'm a pretty big cinephile, but I don't have time to watch everything so I'm afraid I can't be too much help there. As the OP suggested, you might be able to find some good Kino recommendations on criterionforum.org. They have a nice big post in one of the sub-forums.

As far as Criterion goes, I don't know what you consider "classic" (I'm assuming the "greatest films ever" such as 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, etc.), but here are some of the titles I'm probably going to get, a few of which are a little more obscure:

Bicycle Thieves
The Complete Mr. Arkadin
The Double Life of Veronique
Elevator to the Gallows
Hoop Dreams
Jules and Jim
Le Samourai
Playtime
The Seventh Seal
When A Woman Ascends the Stairs
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

Yeah, most of those are "classics" but a few are pretty new to the English-speaking public having just been released on DVD in R1/R2 (or period) for the first time (Bicycle Thieves) or are actually just kind of obscure (Double Life of Veronique) as they've been pushed aside in the pantheon. Don't really feel like typing a synopsis of each film, but DVD Beaver has nice write-ups of most every Criterion release.

If you offered up suggestions of genres or comparable films you're into in general, I promise I could be a huge help. The great thing about Criterion is that they intentionally try to make their collection as broad as possible so that there's something for everyone. Unfortunately, it also makes suggesting blind buys kind of tough. :)

[quote name='tototheexplorer']I really don't know about Kino. Most of the "classics" on that label are done better on other labels (Master of Cinema, Tartan, Artificial Eye, Second Run, Criterion, Asmik Ace, etc.), but I do know they have a good selection of avant garde stuff. I'm a pretty big cinephile, but I don't have time to watch everything so I'm afraid I can't be too much help there. As the OP suggested, you might be able to find some good Kino recommendations on criterionforum.org. They have a nice big post in one of the sub-forums.

As far as Criterion goes, I don't know what you consider "classic" (I'm assuming the "greatest films ever" such as 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, etc.), but here are some of the titles I'm probably going to get, a few of which are a little more obscure:

Bicycle Thieves
The Complete Mr. Arkadin
Elevator to the Gallows
Hoop Dreams
Jules and Jim
Le Samourai
Playtime
The Seventh Seal
When A Woman Ascends the Stairs
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

Yeah, most of those are "classics" but a few are pretty new to the English-speaking public having just been released on DVD in R1/R2 (or period) for the first time (Bicycle Thieves) or are actually just kind of obscure (Double Life of Veronique) as they've been pushed aside in the pantheon. Don't really feel like typing a synopsis of each film, but DVD Beaver has nice write-ups of most every Criterion release.

If you offered up suggestions of genres or comparable films you're into in general, I promise I could be a huge help. The great thing about Criterion is that they intentionally try to make their collection as broad as possible so that there's something for everyone. Unfortunately, it also makes suggesting blind buys kind of tough. :)[/QUOTE]

yep, agreed... .some of the titles included are 'mainstream' but most are pretty niche. i was thinking about hoop dreams.. GREAT movie... also the Beastie Boys anthology and Hidden Fortress.

i may just pass this up since i went nuts on that Best Buy sale glitch and the rightstuf sale

Foul tempter! I've been so good for so long, avoiding Criterion's sweet, sweet siren song. I'm so behind on new releases and I have so many on my wish list already. How to talk my wife into letting me lay out ~$100 in this sale (when I really could happily spend three or four times that much)? Hmmmm...Think, think, think.

[quote name='donssword']Criterion's "In the Mood for Love" by Wong Kar-Wai makes this sale worth it.[/quote]
Word. I picked it up immediately. It's just one of those titles that you've seen so many times, or is so fresh in your mind that you try to pick up other titles before it. If that makes any sense. At least it was that way for me. Finally got it though.

And Tybee, throw in an old Italian or French comedy. Something cute like Playtime. What wife could say no to that?

I'd still like to know (if anyone has my answer) if this discount works out the same as the twice a year sale?

I'm making a list for pick-ups for next Friday. May need to trim it to $100, though $200 would be nice. Regardless, since it seems there're some cinephiles here, you guys will have to help me pick out what I'm getting. \\:D/

[quote name='donssword']Criterion's "In the Mood for Love" by Wong Kar-Wai makes this sale worth it.[/quote]

Got that one right around release too. I think it's about time to watch it again. Another random high recommendation: Black Narcissus....the Technicolors!

Wife loves both of those, actually. But with almost 50 Criterions on the shelf, my wife often plays the "Why can't you just rent them?" card, as well as "You just bought that because it's a Criterion. You haven't even seen it!" :(

I was also wondering about the 20% off sales, whether it would be better to wait for
those or if this is just as good. Anyone know?

And I would totally recomend checking out the Kino sale, it's got the better deals and some of those movies are true gems, like some of the odd animation and old German horror movies. Plus most are half off. I'm loading up on the box sets...

It's nice to know there are some cimena lovers on here, I was afraid when I posted this that no one would care! It's such a sweet sale.

i kept debating yojimbo/sanjuro with gco, but it had been out of stock, now it's a few dollars cheaper and in stock, nice!

[quote name='tholly']if you don't have it yet, i suggest:

Man Bites Dog - The Criterion Collection[/QUOTE]

i would like to say that imo that's a film you only need to see once

that's just me though

:)

great film, but tough to watch

I may be alone, but I really liked A Night to Remember. It's based on the Titantic sinking, and is a really interesting (and for most folks' money superior) telling of the disaster than the James Cameron version.

RD

Well there goes my tax return. Bicycle Thieves, the big Brazil, Le Samourai, Seven Samurai, Man Who Fell To Earth, M, Yojimbo/Sanjuro and replacing the stolen Beastie Boys Video Anthology. At one point my cart was up to $300 and I got it down to 200.

[quote name='vherub']i kept debating yojimbo/sanjuro with gco, but it had been out of stock, now it's a few dollars cheaper and in stock, nice![/QUOTE]

i loved both. I guess get sanjuro first.

yojimbo got the oscar nomination, while sanjuro was more light hearted, but both had the same lead actor, Toshirô Mifune. I guess it depends what you are in the mood for.

[quote name='dracula']yojimbo got the oscar nomination, while sanjuro was more light hearted, but both had the same lead actor, Toshirô Mifune. I guess it depends what you are in the mood for.[/quote]

I think they're both great films and I usually think of them collectively. I also think watching them in order is nice, because you get to see the evolution of the lead.

Also, Criterion put out those re-releases just recently, and in a nice two-pack none the less, so you have no reason not to get both.

The prices are pretty good, but DVDPlanet will probably be running a 20% off sale this summer during DD(D)'s, which will blow this out of the water.

But, I'm lazy and impatient, so a couple titles are tempting. ;-)

[quote name='thoughtmecca']Le Cercle Rouge
Grand Illusion
Tokyo Story

These three should be bought by everyone here immediately.[/QUOTE]

naked boobies?

[quote name='modium']The prices are pretty good, but DVDPlanet will probably be running a 20% off sale this summer during DD(D)'s, which will blow this out of the water.

But, I'm lazy and impatient, so a couple titles are tempting. ;-)[/quote]

Am I missing something? Isn't this, like, 40% off essentially?

[quote name='tototheexplorer']Salo is out of print, but apparently its getting a re-release later this year.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that, thanks for the info!

As for recommendations, I would suggest The Royal Tenenbaums, Masculine Feminine, and Short Cuts.

Ugh, that's a great price on Brazil and Monterey Pop but I don't have nearly enough money to spend on it right now.[quote name='tototheexplorer']Am I missing something? Isn't this, like, 40% off essentially?[/QUOTE]Not sure if it changed, but in the past DVD Planet would have 35% off all Criterions all the time. I haven't been up to date on them though(I knew they were sister companies with DDD but I never knew they also did a 20 percent sale).

Last DDD sale, DVDPlanet introduced a 20% off sale of their own, which led DDD to extend theirs for another week or so IIRC. It doesn't make much sense considering that, yes, they're both owned by the same company, Infinity Resources.

OK, well I've pared it down but I'm still having trouble with my want-list. I think I'm going to try and keep it down to $100-150 because I really, really want to buy the Gaumont release of Histoire(s) du Cinema:

Histoire(s) du Cinema at Amazon.fr

I don't know what in the world is going on with the cover art. They have an amazing packaging preview up at DVD Beaver, and then they just changed it in less than a week on Amazon. Not to be a packaging whore, but seriously...if they actually make that change, that's a horrible design decision.

Anyway, here are the titles I'm choosing from. Kind of embarrassed that I don't own some of these (some I've sold with intent to re-buy the new transfer like Playtime and Sanjuro; my old copy of Yojimbo is available on the cheap if anyone wants it), but I'm a poor CAG just like everyone else. Here's my list; help me whittle it down a little:

Amarcord
Bicycle Thieves
Fanny and Alexander
Hoop Dreams
Jules and Jim
Le Samourai
Playtime
The Seventh Seal
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

I can't believe that I nearly missed out on this sale/deal. I never received any notice and only came up on it by chance when I decided to hit up the DVDTalk forums. Was about to post this deal here, since I didn't think it was posted until I saw it just below. This is fantastic. I remember when they did this last year and it was cheaper than the 20% off sale even. I'm going to try and scrounge up some cash to pick up a couple Suzuki films, Bicycle Thieves, and The Complete Mr. Arkadin. From there, whatever I have money for or in the mood for.

[quote name='modium']The prices are pretty good, but DVDPlanet will probably be running a 20% off sale this summer during DD(D)'s, which will blow this out of the water.

But, I'm lazy and impatient, so a couple titles are tempting. ;-)[/quote]

So what are you getting? I've already posted my wants even though I've seen most of them, but it'd be nice to have them in my collection. Any recommendations for some random truly obscure Criterion (the only one I can name that everyone should and get is the Eisenstein set, but even it is not that obscure because of the famous Odessa Stairs).

[quote name='modium']Last DDD sale, DVDPlanet introduced a 20% off sale of their own, which led DDD to extend theirs for another week or so IIRC. It doesn't make much sense considering that, yes, they're both owned by the same company, Infinity Resources.[/quote]

Yaeh, I remembr that but even then it was only some cents cheaper to a couple dollars at the most. I know for a fact though that this Criterion sale is cheaper now than during the 20% off on most items since I had price comparisons last time around from this sale to the summer sale.

I just read a post over at DVDTalk about somebody using Google Checkout with this deal and the $10 off sign up bonus. I didn't think that Google checkout could be used at either DVDPlanet or Deepdiscount. Can it be used and if so, can it be used as apart of this deal at either store front?

WrestleCrap'sRD;2717792 said:
I may be alone, but I really liked A Night to Remember. It's based on the Titantic sinking, and is a really interesting (and for most folks' money superior) telling of the disaster than the James Cameron version.

I actually own that, but haven't watched it yet (there was a period where I got a bunch of used Criterions from Movie Trading Company before they closed, and that was one of them).

Okay, so I worked out what I would get, assuming I could somehow finagle $115 to spend in this sale, which seems unlikely:

Seven Samurai reissue
Bicycle Thieves
Yi Yi
Green For Danger
Spirt of the Beehive

Total: $125.85 - $10 off $125 coupon = $115.85

But it seems it is not to be. I broached the subject with my wife over the weekend and, as expected, got the "You have the financial sense of a turnip" look, accompanied by, "But we haven't even watched half of the Criterion's you already have," which has some basis in truth, but still.... ;)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']So what are you getting? I've already posted my wants even though I've seen most of them, but it'd be nice to have them in my collection. Any recommendations for some random truly obscure Criterion (the only one I can name that everyone should and get is the Eisenstein set, but even it is not that obscure because of the famous Odessa Stairs).[/quote]I've decided to pass this time around, because money's too tight right now as it is. I just reinstated my Netflix account to catch up on the last few months of releases, and I have most of the Criterions I think I need to own anyway. Though I wouldn't mind finally grabbing L'Eclisse and some of the newer discs like Bicycle Thieves, Sweetie and Kicking and Screaming. As for obscure Criterions, obscure is a strange term, because every movie has its fans, especially with a 'labor of love' company like them. Off the top of my head, I almost never see Le Trou get any love, but it's one of my all-time favorite films. I'll take a look through the catalogue on my break at work tonight and see what else I come up with.
Yaeh, I remembr that but even then it was only some cents cheaper to a couple dollars at the most. I know for a fact though that this Criterion sale is cheaper now than during the 20% off on most items since I had price comparisons last time around from this sale to the summer sale.
Even so, this current sale is only a couple bucks cheaper than DVDPlanet's normal prices as it is. ;)

[quote name='modium']I've decided to pass this time around, because money's too tight right now as it is. I just reinstated my Netflix account to catch up on the last few months of releases, and I have most of the Criterions I think I need to own anyway.[/QUOTE]

i loaded up my netflix q with a bunch of criterion stuff

to see what i want to buy next sale

[quote name='PKRipp3r']i would like to say that imo that's a film you only need to see once

that's just me though

:)

great film, but tough to watch[/quote]

I would have to agree. Felt the same way about Irreversible myself.

[quote name='Tybee']I actually own that, but haven't watched it yet (there was a period where I got a bunch of used Criterions from Movie Trading Company before they closed, and that was one of them).

Okay, so I worked out what I would get, assuming I could somehow finagle $115 to spend in this sale, which seems unlikely:

Seven Samurai reissue
Bicycle Thieves
Yi Yi
Green For Danger
Spirt of the Beehive

Total: $125.85 - $10 off $125 coupon = $115.85

But it seems it is not to be. I broached the subject with my wife over the weekend and, as expected, got the "You have the financial sense of a turnip" look, accompanied by, "But we haven't even watched half of the Criterion's you already have," which has some basis in truth, but still.... ;)[/quote]

Nice list. The new Seven Samurai is probably my favorite DVD. How about Green For Danger? That's the only film on that list that I don't own (well, that and Bicycle Thieves but I've seen it several times and it is a purchase via this sale) and I really don't know anything about the film. Synopsis looks pretty trite but that's the same thing I said about 49th Parallel until I saw it last week on TCM, and boy what that an awesome movie.

And the Google Checkout thing: I never thought about that, but upon Googling I've got several results that mention using Google Checkout at DDD. Holy crap that would be great.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. People on DVD Talk (don't frequent that forum, but checked it out to find info. on the Google CheckOut thing) are saying they're ordering Eclipse sets AND pre-orders?!?! Can you do this? Is this DVD Planet only or both sites. This changes everything...:hot:

*EDIT*: Nevermind. Looking through the thread it appears DVD Planet did have pre-orders available at the very beginning of the sale. Missed out, I guess.

[quote name='tototheexplorer']Nice list. The new Seven Samurai is probably my favorite DVD. How about Green For Danger? That's the only film on that list that I don't own (well, that and Bicycle Thieves but I've seen it several times and it is a purchase via this sale) and I really don't know anything about the film. Synopsis looks pretty trite but that's the same thing I said about 49th Parallel until I saw it last week on TCM, and boy what that an awesome movie.[/quote]

Yeah, 49th Parallel was originally in the mix as well, as I love the two Powell & Pressburgers I already have ("Black Narcissus" and "I Know Where I'm Going!") and I've been trying to figure which of theirs to pick up next (I know, I know...."Red Shoes"). But I also remember thinking Preston Sturges could do no wrong before I bought "Unfaithfully Yours." ;)

TCM is a great place to see Criterion movies for free before purchasing. There are at least 10 Criterion films showing there in any given month. One of the reasons I subscribe to their guide. :)

Can someone point me to a guide about using Google checkout? I've never used it before.

I'm not a huge cinema buff, nor do I own any Criterion or Kino Edition DVDs. Although, I've heard a lot of good things about Seven Samurai. I am very interested in viewing this film, but I'm a little weary of the $30 price tag. I don't mean to thread jack - I would just like to hear some recommendations... is it worth it? Thanks.

[quote name='Swift900']I'm not a huge cinema buff, nor do I own any Criterion or Kino Edition DVDs. Although, I've heard a lot of good things about Seven Samurai. I am very interested in viewing this film, but I'm a little weary of the $30 price tag. I don't mean to thread jack - I would just like to hear some recommendations... is it worth it? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It's worth more than $30, so yes, get it.

[quote name='Swift900']I'm not a huge cinema buff, nor do I own any Criterion or Kino Edition DVDs. Although, I've heard a lot of good things about Seven Samurai. I am very interested in viewing this film, but I'm a little weary of the $30 price tag. I don't mean to thread jack - I would just like to hear some recommendations... is it worth it? Thanks.[/quote]

Seven Samurai (and Kurosawa in general) totally shaped Western cinema. It's definitely worth it for one of the greatest films of all-time; heck, I payed full price for mine.:whistle2:#

bread's done
Back