HUGE Criterion and Kino DVD sale...

andysavestheday

CAGiversary!
For all you cinemaholics like me, DVDplanet and deepdiscount are both having HUGE Criterion sales and deepdiscount is having a Kino DVD sale as well. Kino has a lot of older movies like Criterion, with a lot of great stuff (man with a movie camera, Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, etc) avalible super cheap.

Perfect way to either build a library (that's what I'm doing) or introduce yourself to the vast collection of the greatest works in the history of cinema.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Kino-Sale_stcVVcatId474520VVviewcat.htm

DVDplanet has about the same prices on the Criterions ONLY and even have these coupons to sweeten the deal:

MARCH2007 $5 OFF $50
PREMAR2007 $10 OFF $125
SPRINGCHICKEN $7 OFF $80

If you're interested in these kind of films, check out criterionforum.org, the best place for discussion and information.

Okay, it looks like the DVD Planet sale ends this Saturday (3/31).

The NCAA pool is down to me and the guy running the bracket. So I've got a good shot at the pot, which is probably going to be $50-$100. Now I'm having an existential crisis because I can't decide whether to use the prospective winnings in this sale or the Target $24 DS game sale.

Decisions decisions...

I had that used Robocop CC DVD in my cart for days but decided not to get it since the MGM version is better, I probably should have though considering how it was only $20 and I could have sold it for a profit... ohh well.

So far only 3 of my orders have shipped (The Samurai Trilogy, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, and Do the Right Thing), if they cancel my orders for abusing the google check out thing how soon do they tell you?

Thanks Thorn. That's the one!

[quote name='Brak']I'm not really a fan of sci-fi... but I love the fact that Robocop is a sci-fi that takes place in Detroit, Michigan.[/quote]And OCP HQ is Dallas (tx) City Hall.

Edit: There is no excuse for having an EraserHead avatar. No excuse at all.

[quote name='SlaughterX']I had that used Robocop CC DVD in my cart for days but decided not to get it since the MGM version is better[/quote]When I bought the criterion of robocop, it was because it iwas the only one in Suncoast and I really wanted that movie on dvd that I was even willing to pay full retail for it. Plus I felt criterion would be a better print.

When I watched it, I was so schocked at a couple of the extended scenes, I was wondering if a rental store would let me swap it out for a regular version of the movie. But naturally they wouldn't allow it. No biggie. That's what fast forward is for... for a very non-desensititized gwen who still manages to be shocked by hollywood. :oops:

[quote name='SlaughterX']I had that used Robocop CC DVD in my cart for days but decided not to get it since the MGM version is better[/quote]When I bought the criterion of robocop, it was because it iwas the only one in Suncoast and I really wanted that movie on dvd that I was even willing to pay full retail for it. Plus I felt criterion would be a better print.

When I watched it, I was so schocked at a couple of the extended scenes, I was wondering if a rental store would let me swap it out for a regular version of the movie. But naturally they wouldn't allow it. No biggie. That's what fast forward is for... for a very non-desensititized gwen who still manages to be shocked by hollywood. :oops:

[quote name='Tybee']Okay, it looks like the DVD Planet sale ends this Saturday (3/31).

The NCAA pool is down to me and the guy running the bracket. So I've got a good shot at the pot, which is probably going to be $50-$100. Now I'm having an existential crisis because I can't decide whether to use the prospective winnings in this sale or the Target $24 DS game sale.

Decisions decisions...[/QUOTE]

I'd go with the dvds. That;s just me, though.

[quote name='munch']I'd go with the dvds. That;s just me, though.[/quote]

If I hadn't already ordered five, I'd agree with you. Incidentally, my backordered Seven Samurai just came yesterday. What a beautiful package... :drool:

Besides, I already cheated a little and got FFIII (normally $35-$40) for $24.

To make a long story short, my wife and I got into a discussion about our tax returns. I then said something about a rebate that I'm getting in a few weeks for an ipod speaker system.

She said, "Well, I want to save that for part of a down payment on a house."

I said in a very smart ass manner, "Ok, that $30 will go a long way towards the house."

She then looked at me with a raised eyebrowed and questioned, "I thought you said it was going to be $xxx.xx."

I then stated back, "There's a difference between a rebate and a return. The rebate is for $30."

Then she said, and I will bold this for emphasis, "I don't care what you do with $30."

Yes, I will be getting a couple of DVDs.

[quote name='munch']To make a long story short, my wife and I got into a discussion about our tax returns. I then said something about a rebate that I'm getting in a few weeks for an ipod speaker system.

She said, "Well, I want to save that for part of a down payment on a house."

I said in a very smart ass manner, "Ok, that $30 will go a long way towards the house."

She then looked at me with a raised eyebrowed and questioned, "I thought you said it was going to be $xxx.xx."

I then stated back, "There's a difference between a rebate and a return. The rebate is for $30."

Then she said, and I will bold this for emphasis, "I don't care what you do with $30."

Yes, I will be getting a couple of DVDs.[/quote]
Watch it. This may be one of those "I say I don't care, but actually I do. I will check back in a few weeks when you least expect it to see what you did with that $30. If I do not approve, expect said purchase to be used against you in an as yet undetermined argument to be held at a later date. Or I may just roll my eyes, making you feel childish and inadequate."

;)

[quote name='Tybee']Watch it. This may be one of those "I say I don't care, but actually I do. I will check back in a few weeks when you least expect it to see what you did with that $30. If I do not approve, expect said purchase to be used against you in an as yet undetermined argument to be held at a later date. Or I may just roll my eyes, making you feel childish and inadequate."

;)[/QUOTE]

How true is that! I don't think I'm going to order anything. Criterion's really are the hardest DVDs to buy, I think. I agonize over each one because they're always a blind buy for me. I usually enjoy each one, or find some redeeming quality, but it's so hard to pull the trigger for me.

[quote name='guinaevere']Edit: There is no excuse for having an EraserHead avatar. No excuse at all.[/QUOTE]
... Whazzat?

I broke down and order two DVDs:

Shoot the Piano Player (1960) Criterion Collection
Elevator to the Gallows (1957) Criterion Collection

Plus, I used GCO to knock off $10.

I'm really excited about both of these. This is my third Truffaut, and from previous two experience (The 400 Blows & Jules and Jim) I don't think I'll disappointed. Elevator to the Gallows should be great too. It's Lous Malle's first film and features an improv soundtrack by Miles Davis. It supposedly a highly stylized noir. I can't wait!

Heh, google finally caught me for using the check otu discount too much, ohh well, good while it lasted. Myabe I'll buy a couple more with out the extra $10 off because I doubt we'll see another deal like this on Criterions any time soon...

I gotta pay a speeding ticket next week, so I won't be able to partake in the sale. :whistle2:(

(Spending cash-wise, I only have enough for the ticket [$100, 5 mph over the limit] and Guitar Hero II for the Xbox 360... hopefully the cop doesn't show up to court, so I can keep my $100.)

I got one of my orders today and it came with 2 extra DVDs I didn't even order. One of them shows up on the reciept, but there are no prices on anything (my last reciept was like this too). I used Google Checkout of course, I wonder if they charged me for this other DVD...

Ok I need some drastic advice on what to do. I just received one of the discs that I ordered, but according to the DDD site, the rest of my order has been entirely cancelled. Has this happened to anyone else? Anybody know why this could have happened?

I'm pretty much fuming right now. I just sent them an e-mail regarding the matter, but I swear that if they screw me over that I will never shop with them again no matter how good the deal is. This is bullshit. Why was one item shipped and billed, but the rest of the order canceled?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Ok I need some drastic advice on what to do. I just received one of the discs that I ordered, but according to the DDD site, the rest of my order has been entirely cancelled. Has this happened to anyone else? Anybody know why this could have happened?

I'm pretty much fuming right now. I just sent them an e-mail regarding the matter, but I swear that if they screw me over that I will never shop with them again no matter how good the deal is. This is bullshit. Why was one item shipped and billed, but the rest of the order canceled?[/quote]
Well that's shady. What was their justification? I'd try to get someone on the phone. If they won't give you an explantation, threaten to take your case to the DVD Talk forums, which could hurt their reputation.

That's another good thing about DVD Planet/Digital Eyes: The people who run it regularly post over on DVD Talk and will actually take responsibility for their actions. I've seen numerous problems like this resolved on those forums.

I got one final order out on April 1, Kagemusha, Story of a Prostitute, and Wu-Tang Clan - The Legend of the Wu-Tang: The Videos, $50 shipped after the $5 off April cupon. Spent way too much money on this sale, I was hoping that they would keep these prices for CCs (since they're already over priced anyway), but maybe it's a good thing that's not the case because there's still quite a few Akira Kurosawa DVDs I need...

[quote name='Tybee']Well that's shady. What was their justification? I'd try to get someone on the phone. If they won't give you an explantation, threaten to take your case to the DVD Talk forums, which could hurt their reputation.

That's another good thing about DVD Planet/Digital Eyes: The people who run it regularly post over on DVD Talk and will actually take responsibility for their actions. I've seen numerous problems like this resolved on those forums.[/quote]

Yaeh, I called them up today and they sounded as baffled as I was how it was all the same info., I'm a repeat-repeat-repeat customer, and one order/item shipped and was billed while the other was canceled. I went through this whole thing with the representative of verifying my info and such and she made a note of everything. She said that they would reinstate my order and even upgrade my shipping for free so let's just wait and see what happens. Hopefully they keep me as their customer, because I've spent way too much on shit with them already and it's in both of our best interests:lol:.

Hey guys,

Somewhat OT, but my best friend was just selected as one of five finalists in a contest to be a guest programmer on Turner Classic Movies later this year. She's a huge Criterion fan, and actually plans to program Kurosawa's "The Bad Sleep Well" as one of her flicks. She also namechecks a ton of Criterions in her entry video.

I made a thread explaining how you can help, which you can check out here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3013412#post3013412

I'd really appreciate your help!

bread's done
Back