If you could, what labour laws would you change?

[quote name='willardhaven']1. CPI or Inflation adjusted minimum wage (should be $10 by now).[/QUOTE]

this, more than anything else.

[quote name='Sarang01']Willard is correct!!!!!

He nailed it. 32 hour work weeks we need. Period.

That balance of work and rest will benefit everyone. 2 days is too little rest, 4 days is too much and 3 days is just right.
Depending on your job that first day of the two day weekend is just a recooperation day since you've worked so long beforehand.
Now if it were 3 days that recooperation day would be done and you'd have two days left to enjoy yourself.[/QUOTE]

32 hours? C'mon. At the very least it how about working four 10 hour days?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?_r=4&pagewanted=all

If you didnt laugh when the apple Exec said "Those jobs arent coming back" In response to the SOTU, you could probably cry.

Hearing the exec recant the glass screen tale and speak about "flexibilty" of the Chinese makes me a little sick. Its more like "fuckability". A game of who can spread their collective asscheeks the widest. Of course you couldn't call American factory workers into the plant at 2am and give them tea and a biscuit.

Like it or not, You're giving American workers Overtime.

The way out of this hole is to change the way profits are reflected on the books. Its a devious game but a necessary one: The true Value of the Ipad isnt in its assembly ,its in the R&D. Which happens here. Its the true value of everything thats assembled in China. From Iphones , To Volkswagons , to Venetian Blinds. When China claims the exported X amount of dollars in Ipads its simply not factual
Research and Development is where the True Value will always be

http://economicsintelligence.com/2011/03/02/the-strange-logic-of-the-iphones-economics/

So if you changed the Trade laws we could poison the well so to speak. You dont have to incentive an Apple to come home and build a Factory with pie-in-the-sky promises of tax breaks.

[quote name='dohdough']Its different for academics like dmaul that are trying to get tenure. Its publish or perish and people like him actually really enjoy and are passionate about their work, but I'm sure he has his fair share of fun. You can tell how much he slacks by all his posts in vs.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Yep. :D

I enjoy my work (at least the research part of it) so I don't dread spending time on it. I get bored of things like movies, novels, tv, sports, video games etc. pretty quickly. Which is why I have so many hobbies, there's nothing I like doing enough to devote a majority of my free time too. But mainly I just like my job, think it's interesting and potentially has value for society. So I like spending a lot of time on that and not just rotting my brain with mindless entertainment all the time.

Obviously, it's a very different view of career when you like your work and find meaning in it etc., than the typical job that's just a paycheck. I can certainly understand why people with those kind of careers want shorter work weeks and all that jazz. I would too if I had a job I either disliked or did solely for the money!

Also, related to his other point, I don't have or want kids. So that frees up a lot of time. I probably have more free time for hobbies than he does despite working 50-60 hour weeks on average since I don't have kids to take care of or a wife to keep happy etc. right now. :D

And yeah, forum posting/net surfing is probably my top hobby since it's something I can do on short work breaks. Like now when I'm slogging through grading 60 exams (after grading 80 from another class on Monday). Nice to take a 5-10 minute "check the forums break" after every 10 or 15 exams to break up the monotony. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
$6.50 to assemble the things, wow.

edit-Having fully read the article, and assuming they're correct about the price difference between manufacturing in China vs. here, Apple has some balls. They could make the bleeding things here and still enjoy a 50% profit margin, why not?

[quote name='Clak']$6.50 to assemble the things, wow.

edit-Having fully read the article, and assuming they're correct about the price difference between manufacturing in China vs. here, Apple has some balls. They could make the bleeding things here and still enjoy a 50% profit margin, why not?[/QUOTE]
Actually, it costs $6.50 TO ASSEMBLE THEM BY fuckING HAND. How fucked up is that?

I thought the main reason they were there (Shenzhen) is mostly because everything else is there. That is to say the supplies are all made in the same general area, within blocks of each other. The glass factory is next to the metalwork factory etc..

And according to this guy, China actually has laws in place regarding an 8 hour work day...they just ignore the laws.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. :D

I enjoy my work (at least the research part of it) so I don't dread spending time on it. I get bored of things like movies, novels, tv, sports, video games etc. pretty quickly. Which is why I have so many hobbies, there's nothing I like doing enough to devote a majority of my free time too. But mainly I just like my job, think it's interesting and potentially has value for society. So I like spending a lot of time on that and not just rotting my brain with mindless entertainment all the time.

Obviously, it's a very different view of career when you like your work and find meaning in it etc., than the typical job that's just a paycheck. I can certainly understand why people with those kind of careers want shorter work weeks and all that jazz. I would too if I had a job I either disliked or did solely for the money!

Also, related to his other point, I don't have or want kids. So that frees up a lot of time. I probably have more free time for hobbies than he does despite working 50-60 hour weeks on average since I don't have kids to take care of or a wife to keep happy etc. right now. :D

And yeah, forum posting/net surfing is probably my top hobby since it's something I can do on short work breaks. Like now when I'm slogging through grading 60 exams (after grading 80 from another class on Monday). Nice to take a 5-10 minute "check the forums break" after every 10 or 15 exams to break up the monotony. :D[/QUOTE]

50-60 hours per week is pretty reasonable... that's about the time that I physically spend at work nowadays... of course, I then probably put in another good 10 hours per week keeping up with the literature, preparing talks, and working on paperwork/research. But I enjoy that stuff... if I were simply working for a paycheck, I'd be pretty miserable, as my paycheck is pretty small... ;)

32 hours per week sounds ridiculously light... I'm just happy that I now get most weekends off.

[quote name='BigT']50-60 hours per week is pretty reasonable... that's about the time that I physically spend at work nowadays... of course, I then probably put in another good 10 hours per week keeping up with the literature, preparing talks, and working on paperwork/research. But I enjoy that stuff... if I were simply working for a paycheck, I'd be pretty miserable, as my paycheck is pretty small... ;)

32 hours per week sounds ridiculously light... I'm just happy that I now get most weekends off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just vary greatly week to week--that's just my guess on average across a year.

Some weeks I'm putting in 80+ hours when I have research deadlines, shit tons of grading etc. Other weeks (i.e. following a hell week or two or three like that...) I'll put in 30-40 hours to recoup while still getting essential work done. Weekend wise, I've been trying to work some longer hours M-F so I can take at least one day on the weekend to do chores and relax.

Very rarely do I go under that 30-40 hour recoup week, or take an entire week off. Even on vacations I tend to do at least a few hours of work on the plane, in the hotel at night etc. to keep up, and because I enjoy it.

[quote name='hostyl1']I thought the main reason they were there (Shenzhen) is mostly because everything else is there. That is to say the supplies are all made in the same general area, within blocks of each other. The glass factory is next to the metalwork factory etc..

And according to this guy, China actually has laws in place regarding an 8 hour work day...they just ignore the laws.[/QUOTE]
I've been meaning to post that. But yeah, the laws are on the books, they're just ignored, apparently by the employers and officials. I wouldn't be surprised if they have no one to actually enforce those labor laws.

bread's done
Back