Im not liking this new trend developing in preorders...

help1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
First off, I am cool with stores offering things like posters if you preorder at their store, but I really don't like this idea of "preorder here, and get a totally unique code that will unlock you weapons and maps in the actual game."

It feels like companies are purposely withholding game content from a select few of us just in an attempt to push sales.

I'm not totally familiar with such things, but what's stopping people from sharing codes either here or on a place like Gamefaqs? I guess the codes could be completely unique, but that seems like a lot of effort on the part of the developers.

Unless there's a way to completely lock it out, making the content specific to the retailers. But is that even possible?

[quote name='Strell']I'm not totally familiar with such things, but what's stopping people from sharing codes either here or on a place like Gamefaqs? I guess the codes could be completely unique, but that seems like a lot of effort on the part of the developers.

Unless there's a way to completely lock it out, making the content specific to the retailers. But is that even possible?[/quote]

In the first instances, it was like that. The "code" was a generic, multiuse number or sequence.

However, I think in the case of Army of Two and Rainbow Six (maybe, not totally sure) the codes for extra weapons/maps were unique and only could be used one time.

[quote name='help1']
However, I think in the case of Army of Two and Rainbow Six (maybe, not totally sure) the codes for extra weapons/maps were unique and only could be used one time.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.

And there's not a couple of lonely hackers hashing out programs to generate keys for that sort of thing? Or some other work around?

Interesting.

Its just the nature of the business. Game production is getting more expensive so they need to do what they can to drive up the sales. For the most part exclusive content doesn't stay exclusive too long. Recent codes can be found for a couple bucks on ebay as an alternative.

[quote name='Strell']Hmmm.

And there's not a couple of lonely hackers hashing out programs to generate keys for that sort of thing? [/quote]

Not to my knowledge.

yea, it's kindof depressing. With game budgets soaring they have to mitigate their risks some way. Unfortunately, they're trying to bribe us with "extra" content (which is just content that's being withheld). I would rather get a cool poster, figure, or something that really makes it worth the purchase. I wish they would stop making "special editions" that really aren't special. To me, a special edition is something like MGS: Substance/Subsistance, or Fable: The Lost Chapters. Special editions need to add game content, and fix problems with the original; not just be fancy packaging.

I was hoping that episodic content would be an emerging trend that people would jump on. Look at Sam and Max or Half Life. Theoretically, once they've finished creating the game engine and the storyline, they could release an episode every 4 to 6 months. Then when the story arc is complete, they release a compilation of all of the previous episodes at a reduced cost (like the orange box). Instead of releasing one game after 3 years, they've let the hardcore fans enjoy the experience as it's released (and offset the burden of production costs), and the rest of us can enjoy it all at once (which ensures that they'll make ample profits).

Or maybe I'm just dreaming...

To my understanding on Rainbow Six Vegas, the GameStop map is the same one that is available free by just entering in the "Comcast Faster" code and the Best Buy gun is unlockable in the game anyway. Maybe I'm wrong though.

they did this at best buy for stuntman ignition.. it was a good deal for $20 and you get a secret car. its just a code.. so far this year there hasnt been any good preorder freebies.. last year was the best.

[quote name='mykevermin']Isn't there some stuff in Lost Odyssey that was only accessible with a unique preorder code from GS?[/QUOTE]

till Spring 2008 when it's available on the marketplace for free.

Hmm. Well, spring 2008 started Tuesday, so here's hoping. ;)

I'm beginning to really have a generally sour attitude towards DLC in general, with the exception of Rock Band. Between this, unlock key codes, and DLC available on launch day (put it on the disk, dicks!), I think I'm getting way too jaded about gaming.

I'm fine with DLC when it's truly something that has been created sometime after release and isn't fundamental to the game.

But I'm starting to feel like some DLC is content that is fundamental and always should have been on the disk. EA seem particularly bad for omitting stuff then trying to seel it to you via DLC.

Next gen versions of Fifa and Tiger that have less content than their last gen counter parts are a good example.

I think DLC has proven itself to be pretty much useless so far, with some obvious exceptions.

Tycho over at PA made a really good point about the new Mass Effect DLC, which is basically that it's a new area to explore and new equipment to get, but it has to be done before you beat the game. Which means it is functionally useless to someone who has already finished it, since they'd have to load up a character from a previous save, go over to it, do whatever, and then beat the game.

It just doesn't make sense to have something that's only worthwhile in a small window of opportunity. Likewise, even if you could play it after beating the game - what's the point there? To get a new piece of equipment that can't be used because there's no other enemies to kill?

The extra dungeons that Square keeps putting out when they re-release a remake of a remake of a remake of Final Fantasy 1 or 2. In all reality, those extra dungeons represent several hours of grinding to get better equipment. But that's such poor motivation - if I don't get to do anything cool with it, I don't see a reason to do it. I guess there's "the challenge" of it all, but it's not like I'm getting treated to some awesome movies or getting recognition or a neat keychain in the mail or something.

But I dunno. I'm willing to let people try and think up better DLC examples in the long run than dismiss it entirely (not implying anyone here thinks all that differently from this, btw). I mean new songs in Rock Band makes total sense. Getting a new weapon in some RPG doesn't.

I'm even becoming leery of new songs in Rock Band. If I was in Mykes position I'd be ok (since he has it on the PS3) but when my 360 craps out, I'm going to lose 50+ songs (unless I'm on Live) because of DRM issues.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I'm beginning to really have a generally sour attitude towards DLC in general, with the exception of Rock Band. Between this, unlock key codes, and DLC available on launch day (put it on the disk, dicks!), I think I'm getting way too jaded about gaming.[/quote]

I'm with you on this. I love the concept of DLC to extend the life of a game (RB, GH especially. FPS games with map packs... to an extent). But the whole debacle with GTA IV really hit home for me. BEFORE the game is even finished, an exclusive contract was in place for DLC. It just blows my mind. Whether you have a 360 or PS3 you should be upset because you're buying a gimped version right out the gate. For them to have ideas, concepts, and additions to the game that would make it better, and deliberately hold it out at release to sell it later makes me sick to my stomach.

I absolutely love GTA and it was part of the reason for me jumping to a next-gen console when I bought mine. As a gamer, I can't miss out on playing it. But there's absolutely no way I'm paying for my copy to support this practice. I'm a hypocrite, but I'll buy it off a CAG or get it through goozex.

I hate digital rights management (I'm not a downloader either). I love the concept of holding tangible products when I pay for them. It definitely seems the gaming industry is losing some authenticity nowadays. I remember downloading user created add-ons for Wolfenstein almost 15 years ago, and console games still lack that feature save for the studio produced map packs that are few and far between.

I didn't mean to rant so much, but, well, it strikes a nerve for me.

The current "exclusive content" stuff doesn't really bother me since 90% of it is available by just getting the code online (like Jam Sessions for DS or the other games mentioned in this thread). What is going to start happening, though, is each store is going to have truly exclusive content that you can't get if you purchase the game anywhere else. Kind of like the way Foot Locker and The Finish Line have the same Nikes, but you can only get certain styles from one store or the other.

Of course the developers will allow you to get the "exclusive" content - for a fee. I guarantee you that this is going to happen with Darth Vader and Yoda in Soul Caliber 4. You will be able to purchase the missing character via DLC, which will just unlock content that is on the fucking disk in the first place.

You're wrong, Digby.

Only the mighty space allowed by Bluray can house the Sith Lord Vader. There's no way he can fit on a lowly DVD. He even says they are a little short for a digital medium.

[quote name='QiG']I remember downloading user created add-ons for Wolfenstein almost 15 years ago, and console games still lack that feature save for the studio produced map packs that are few and far between.[/QUOTE]

You can do it in Unreal III on the PS3 :]

But then barely anyone plays the custom stuff :[

I don't mind companies releasing stuff like weapons, armor, etc. for preorders, as long as they don't make a tangible difference in gameplay. Nobody should get a stupidly-powerful weapon for preordering a game, but if it just looks different than I'm more than fine with it.

[quote name='evyrew']Special editions need to add game content, and fix problems with the original; not just be fancy packaging.[/QUOTE]I kinda feel the opposite here. I think the actual GAME content is the one thing that should remain constant between all versions. I like when the special stuff comes in the form of tangibly different packaging (Halo 2/3), sweet physical extras (Tekken 5 joystick), or an extra game (Doom 3, Mortal Kombat Deception). The goal should be to give you extra stuff for paying extra... not to cripple the core game for those who paid the normal price. That may just sound like semantics, but it's really an important distinction to make in how developers approach this issue.

[quote name='help1']It feels like companies are purposely withholding game content from a select few of us just in an attempt to push sales.[/quote]

There's a simple way to get them to stop.
Don't buy *any* game that does that kind of promotion.

Why not offer discounts ($5-10) for pre-ordering games. "Hey you can pre-order this game for $10 off." Now that's something that people might jump on. Whenever certain movies or tv boxed sets are released, my local MovieStop will usually discount the product for a short time. After the promotional period, they'll mark the item back up to regular price. If MovieStop can do that for movies, why can't GameStop do something similar for pre-orders. Makes sense, no?

[quote name='evyrew']Why not offer discounts ($5-10) for pre-ordering games. "Hey you can pre-order this game for $10 off." Now that's something that people might jump on. Whenever certain movies or tv boxed sets are released, my local MovieStop will usually discount the product for a short time. After the promotional period, they'll mark the item back up to regular price. If MovieStop can do that for movies, why can't GameStop do something similar for pre-orders. Makes sense, no?[/QUOTE]

Eh, but the publishers and retailers are trying to get people to bite at full price... offering a discount doesn't accomplish that so much.

I agree that it's lame, kind of reminds me of bands having "special" editions of their album at 2 or 3 different stores that each have different bonus songs.

Exclusive content for different retailers is not a gaming specific phenomenon. It has been happening with increasing frequency in all consumer products. I can 100% guarantee that the game publishers would prefer to release one identical version to all of their customers.

Exclusive content is usually worked into an overall program for a customer. In offering exclusive content the publisher is hoping to get something in return, usually in the form of increased shelf space or cooperative advertising. In effect the retailer is actually funding the exclusive content because it helps them to differentiate from their competition.

Ignoring the scenario where the exclusive content breaks a multiplayer game (which hasn't happened yet and I would hope a publisher would be severely punished for letting that happen), one could argue on both sides as to whether or not the content is a positive for the end consumer. While decreased competition is usually a bad thing for consumers, the extra content would most likely not have have even been created otherwise.

[quote name='jkanownik']Exclusive content for different retailers is not a gaming specific phenomenon. It has been happening with increasing frequency in all consumer products. I can 100% guarantee that the game publishers would prefer to release one identical version to all of their customers.

Exclusive content is usually worked into an overall program for a customer. In offering exclusive content the publisher is hoping to get something in return, usually in the form of increased shelf space or cooperative advertising. In effect the retailer is actually funding the exclusive content because it helps them to differentiate from their competition.

Ignoring the scenario where the exclusive content breaks a multiplayer game (which hasn't happened yet and I would hope a publisher would be severely punished for letting that happen), one could argue on both sides as to whether or not the content is a positive for the end consumer. While decreased competition is usually a bad thing for consumers, the extra content would most likely not have have even been created otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there an unlockable in Battlefield 2142 that fucked the game up, or something along those lines?

[quote name='Chacrana']Wasn't there an unlockable in Battlefield 2142 that fucked the game up, or something along those lines?[/quote]You mean the SCAR 11 unlock? That was just a reskin.

Funny thing is it was slightly-worse than the default SCAR, since the preorder scope was more fatter/blocked more stuff.

[quote name='Strell']
Tycho over at PA made a really good point about the new Mass Effect DLC, which is basically that it's a new area to explore and new equipment to get, but it has to be done before you beat the game. Which means it is functionally useless to someone who has already finished it, since they'd have to load up a character from a previous save, go over to it, do whatever, and then beat the game..[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with that one, as it's a game that most people who liked it enough to pay for DLC are going to play multiple times anyway.

At least twice to do both the paragon and renegade paths through the games. Takes several play throughs for people who want to get all the achievement points.

Plus the point of it isn't to be functionally useful, but to just add another mission with a bit more side plot detail for people that really got sucked into the world. And I imagine that plotline will tie into the sequel somehow.

I thought you were the guy who only had so little time to play games that you couldn't possibly be bothered to squander any of it.

Dropping in DLC that requires you to replay already-trodden territory seems like a fabulous waste of time, especially if it requires sucking out another 10-20 hours of gameplay to enjoy a small section of "new" content.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm even becoming leery of new songs in Rock Band. If I was in Mykes position I'd be ok (since he has it on the PS3) but when my 360 craps out, I'm going to lose 50+ songs (unless I'm on Live) because of DRM issues.[/quote]

Perhaps I don't fully understand DLC from Live, but assuming you have a HDD, wouldn't you just hang onto that until you get your repaired system back, then reattach it and be good to go?

[quote name='TahoeMax']Perhaps I don't fully understand DLC from Live, but assuming you have a HDD, wouldn't you just hang onto that until you get your repaired system back, then reattach it and be good to go?[/quote]I'm pretty sure what Sean's talking about only applies to XBLA games, not DLC for games. Unless someone can show me where I'm wrong. Please do, if you can, because it's something I'd like to know too :p

There is no problem with rewarding people buying the game on day 1. The problem is having the DLC already on the disc and you need to pay to unlock them. I am looking at you katamari

haha ahhhh yes,
pre-order now! and get exclusive SH*T.
idk... the whole sceme is pretty lame
its almost like if u dont pre-order...
u miss out on gameplay.

I've been trying to find a code for Army of TWO forever now.
and because its a one time use code, i guess im SOL???!?

Does anyone know what exclusives GTA IV will have for pre-order'ers?
or should I even bother? PM me.

I'm not sure what's been offered thus far in terms of in game preorder bonsues... but honestly, I don't care. If a game is good/ok/crap then an extra level or weapon isn't going to magically make it worth the full $60. Now, if the extras were significant, then I'd consider but thus far, it seems like these bonuses are crap. And if I really want a game ASAP, I'll buy it regardless.

I don't like the trend of companys releasing expensive LE packs that come with "toys" basically. I don't ever buy them, but the new Gears 2 pack with the Lancer is a good example. Seems like they just throw in some plastic thing and add 50 bucks onto the price tag, I never really understood why people would pay over 100 for a game just because it has something like that in the box.

On a positive side, those larger packs tend to drop price much faster which is much better for those who wait to buy the game or didn't have the chance.

I've pre-ordered only twice in my gaming career. Once, for MP3 - and when I picked it up, realized that the general public didn't even know about the game (so availability was thru the roof).

Second, for Castlevania: PoR. That game, after playing the DoS again, just isn't as good as the predecessor. However, I did get cool swag: soundtrack, timeline, artbook, and a spare stylus. I like how the only thing I'm really using is the stylus, ahaha.

Unless I see something top PoR's package, I doubt I'll ever pre-order again.

The Gears 2 Lancer isn't a plastic thing. It's an in game gun you can use in multiplayer. It serves no purpose other than it looks nice. Also, the Gears 2 CE is a $10 premium over the regular price, not $50.

Much of the time, people pay the premium not because they necessarily think all the extras are worth it. Sometimes, if you're just an avid fan of the series that's enough of a reason. You just want to have something nice to show how much you like it. It's not for everyone.

I'm not a fan of this trend either. Though, I doubt any new weapons or anything is getting me out day 1 to purchase a game (last 2 games I purchased day 1 were MGS 2 and Wind Waker, both I was a touch disappointed with, and haven't bought day 1 since (exceptions being XBLA titles).

I wonder what the pass through on dlc is (what percentage of gamers actually buy it)? I know personally, I haven't bought any dlc for any game I own (I've only been close to buying twice, once for Oblivion and eventually need to buy Puzzle Quest dlc).

I have to imagine, as a whole, a really small percentage of people pay. I wonder if it's really worth it for the developers, for all the ill will it causes.

[quote name='GuardianE']The Gears 2 Lancer isn't a plastic thing. It's an in game gun you can use in multiplayer. It serves no purpose other than it looks nice. Also, the Gears 2 CE is a $10 premium over the regular price, not $50. [/quote]

No, there's a third version that was announced that will include a replica Lancer. Or maybe it was misinterpreted. Or announced, then pulled. Or maybe it's an Amazon exclusive thing. Who the hell knows.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/27/130-gears-of-war-2-bundle-to-include-lancer/

I definitely prefer toys that come with it than something that can change gameplay because it's easier to know if I want it (or in almost all cases that I don't want it). They are also prime material for price drops because large boxes take up more shelf space so need to be gotten rid of.

bread's done
Back