iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me, or is it difficult to figure out what the fuck is going on in that video?
He could be playing Donkey Kong for all I know...

Quick side note. If you make an app yourself, can you add it to your iphone, or does it have to go through the store to be able to be downloaded to your phone.

[quote name='LuisRM']Quick side note. If you make an app yourself, can you add it to your iphone, or does it have to go through the store to be able to be downloaded to your phone.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have to go through the store, but it does have to be signed, which will require being a member of the iPhone Developer Program (something along those lines). Its $99 to join I think.

[quote name='mkernan']It doesn't have to go through the store, but it does have to be signed, which will require being a member of the iPhone Developer Program (something along those lines). Its $99 to join I think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make a quick "sound board" app for fun really, but $99 seems a bit steep for a pet project. I'll look into it though.

DDRS is definitely worth picking up if you are a DDR fan. I'm suprised how much fun it turned out to be. One thing: is there really only on "shake" mode song or am I missing something? If it's only that one tutorial one, that part of the game is uber lame. Fortunately the normal game is great.

That red laser app is highly recommended especially for CAG flipping. i"ve been using that this week and the only problem that I have encountered app delay when you're scanning sealed games in a store. You just have to scan the game on a vertical position so your shadow is not on top of it.

Droplitz is .99.

It is a iphone reduced version of the $10 version on XBLA. A lite version for anyone interested in trying before buying.

Word Ace is hands down the best game I have played on the iPhone. And I have 9 pages of apps, so that's saying a lot.

Scrabble + Texas Hold'em

I could see this on XBLA.

The free version includes tons of replay value (possibly too much as it may hinder conversions). I purchased it to show support as I believe a CAG was involved in it's development.

Red laser is awesome, but I think the price has been $1.99 for a while. What would make it awesome is if it looked up tradein values at amazon, second spin, etc.

[quote name='daminion']Word Ace is hands down the best game I have played on the iPhone. And I have 9 pages of apps, so that's saying a lot.

Scrabble + Texas Hold'em

I could see this on XBLA.

The free version includes tons of replay value (possibly too much as it may hinder conversions). I purchased it to show support as I believe a CAG was involved in it's development.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, daminion! Every purchase is greatly, greatly appreciated. The idea behind Word Ace's pricing is exactly your experience, though - we want people to pay for it if they want to pay for it. Sounds like a stupid business model, and it very well may be, but instead of going through the continuous $0.99 sale wringer like we did with Taxiball, the idea is that hell - you can have the game. And if you like it enough to pay for it, awesome - you can pay whatever you think the game is worth to you.

Right now, we're only selling additional chip packages, but in the next update, we're going to have little donation icons - donate some amount of money (It'll probably be something like, "Buy Self Aware Games a taco! ($0.99)") and you'll get a little icon for 30 days by your profile (like a little taco) to show that you're helping to support Word Ace's continuing development.

So, yeah - I'm really happy you like it, and thanks for the support!
Cheers!
seppo

ps: For you CAGs without iPhones or Pres, keep your eye on http://apps.facebook.com/wordace - it should be live soon!

Police scanner is pretty cool. Also picked up F.A.S.T. Pretty cool air combat game. I love that they included the vapor cones around the plane when you break the sound barrier.

[quote name='ZForce915']What would you rather spend $2.99 on?

Fieldrunners
Defender Chronicles[/QUOTE]

How about 3 $.99 games instead? GeoDefense & GeoDefense Swarm & ...

[quote name='walletandgromice']How about 3 $.99 games instead? GeoDefense & GeoDefense Swarm & ...[/QUOTE]

I have one of those Geo games already. I forget which one :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']i'd go with Hi, How Are You? lol[/QUOTE]

I might just get that, but since there is no lite version I'm coming after you for my $.99 if I don't like it!

[quote name='ZForce915']I might just get that, but since there is no lite version I'm coming after you for my $.99 if I don't like it![/QUOTE]

It's a nice surprise. I didnt think i'd like it much but it's very fun moreso than i expected.

[quote name='107proof']Don't overlook The Creeps! If your looking for an excellent tower defense game.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it is on sale for $.99 for a while. I guess now would be as good a time as any to pick it up.

[quote name='cycophuk']Finger Traffic Navigator is currently free. If you like ATC 4.0 or Harbor Master or Flight Control, you may like this game.[/QUOTE]

I show it at $.99 and with terrible reviews.

[quote name='malfuncti0n']need for speed undercover worth the 5 bones?

edit: oh hey, i'm a veteran now[/QUOTE]

I just got an itouch a few days ago and after some research on what racing games to pick up, I choose this and it is great. Definately worth the $5. Oh, and I tried some others that had "lite" versions like the Fast & the Furious and they didn't compare. If anyone else has some recommendations for good racers (prefer the arcady kind when it comes to something like the iPhone).

I'd say that, yes, NFSU is worth $5, though I'm hoping to buy it at $3 if it ever drops any further. The game is decently long and has a lot of variety in the races. Once you've finished the story (which is awful, by the way), if you're interested, you can even do quite a bit of grinding to make bank to buy all the cars. Beating the game also unlocks more modes.

As a new owner, i must say it gets addicting buying all these cheap games. it'll start to add up quickly. Gotta stick with just the ones that are really, really good or I'll be in trouble when the wife see the CC bill!!

I tried out the lite version of Emergency Radio (a similar version of the police scanner) which was supposed to be decent and found it to be lacking. However, at $2.99 a must have app for any aviation enthusiast is the Live ATC app, which allows you to listen in to a decent number of air traffic control frequencies across the country and the world.

Also, a free app that I'll plug for is the MouseWorld Radio app. For anyone who's a fan of the music in any of the Walt Disney World parks, this provides a constant stream from the Live365 version of the site. Even if you're unfamiliar with the park music, the price is right (free) and it's fairly small.

Manga Tiles is FREE for a limited time.

846130.jpg

BTW, bridworks has just released a lite version of their excellent Awesome Note Lite (+Todo) app. It's only limited to 7 notes.

[quote name='ZForce915']I show it at $.99 and with terrible reviews.[/QUOTE]

I checked before I posted and my Touch showed it was still free. It must haven been going through the price change at that time or just after I posted. Either way, I never said it was or great game or even a good game, just that people might enjoy it if they liked the other games. The game started out as free so there is a good chance it will go back to free again real soon.

[quote name='cycophuk']I checked before I posted and my Touch showed it was still free. It must haven been going through the price change at that time or just after I posted. Either way, I never said it was or great game or even a good game, just that people might enjoy it if they liked the other games. The game started out as free so there is a good chance it will go back to free again real soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and my original response sounded a lot more snotty then I intended. It is always nice to point out when something is free and I didn't mean to jump on you for that.

Is there an app like Trapster that shows traffic jams with the sort of real-time map view that Trapster does?

Harbormaster is a blast.
Quest Knight is fun.
Knights is a decent Defend Your Castle clone without the 30 minutes before the game actually becomes challenging.
Ragdoll Blast is awesome.
Dr. Awesome as a great Qix clone.
Wolfenstein RPG is there for the guys who liked Doom RPG and Orcs and Elves (Where the fuck are my Iphone ports of those? And Heartbreakers, too, you assholes.)
Chop Sushi is like Puzzle Quest but with a trickier puzzle.
FAST is decent for cheap but online MP is just LOOP DE LOOP DE LOOP DE LOOP DE LOOP DE LOCKON MISSILE FIRE GAME OVER
Silent Swords isn't worth the $1.
iFighter is a good arcade shmup but the levels are a bit too long.
Wild West Guns is a nice little lightgun style shooting game, ported from the Wii.

picked up NFSU. game is enjoyable and well worth the $5. although i feel like i'm not controlling the car sometimes like there's a huge handicap for the player, but w/e. it's definitely the best racing game on the iphone i've played so far.

malfuncti0n - you'll probably find that the second and third set of races really ramp up the difficulty. I had a hard time getting through all the races often, so I had to cash grind to upgrade cars as much as possible just to sneak by.

On a side note, I still very regularly check this tread even though my iPod touch is completely effed. Home button still doesn't work, so I don't play any games on it. I've gone back to the nano. Woe is me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']still waiting for Catan...

also Terminator Salvation needs a price drop... I love the demo but dont wanna pay $5 for it.[/QUOTE]
T:S seemed to have the best shooter controls thus far. I was thought I liked the controls for Prey but after playing T:S I can't go back. Still it's $.99 or nothing.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']T:S seemed to have the best shooter controls thus far. I was thought I liked the controls for Prey but after playing T:S I can't go back. Still it's $.99 or nothing.[/QUOTE]

same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back