Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played every Dangan game, but those review excerpts praising the 'amazing' writing are a bit of a stretch.
Second this.

I'll buy UDG again because the boss fights were really good but holy crap the game's writing is... all over the place.

And UDG's writing was pretty much all terrible.

If anybody pre-ordered Final Fantasy XV from Amazon, don't forget you have to play that stupid mini-game to obtain the Road Trip DLC sets.

Don't forget, they ship out orders once every item in the order are in stock. So choose wisely if you actually plan to play anything from within the order in a timely manner besides the last shipped game.
I don't plan to play Shallie anytime soon....just need it as it seems it's the last likely Vita enhanced port. I'm just trying to decide between God Wars (which I want but has a terribly expensive LE and meh buying regular), Babel (didn't play the first but looks OK...but too many dungeon crawlers) or Sengoku (which I want badly but want to play on Vita). Not quite sure what to choose.

Ugg i'm cringing finishing up the last endings from Criminal Girls 2. The ones I've seen are not too good. This game other than the better battle mechanics seems generally worse than the 1st one. I'm giving it a 5.5/10 because of how frustrating going up against some bosses are, the generally weaker characters and story, really garbage touch controls for the motivation sequences and what seems to be a lot of grinding for both CM and EXP. I literally had to cheap the battles to grind with a certain skill just because I needed a massive amount of CM to finish the last motivation tree. It was torture. I really hope the true ending is good and I'm happy with getting a platinum (I hope) because the game just has not been very good.

Second this.

I'll buy UDG again because the boss fights were really good but holy crap the game's writing is... all over the place.

And UDG's writing was pretty much all terrible.
Agreed. I reviewed the game before it was out. I got slammed for saying that. I mean the game isn't bad but the story and writing just wasn't anywhere near Dangan 1 and 2.

Ugg i'm cringing finishing up the last endings from Criminal Girls 2. The ones I've seen are not too good. This game other than the better battle mechanics seems generally worse than the 1st one. I'm giving it a 5.5/10 because of how frustrating going up against some bosses are, the generally weaker characters and story, really garbage touch controls for the motivation sequences and what seems to be a lot of grinding for both CM and EXP. I literally had to cheap the battles to grind with a certain skill just because I needed a massive amount of CM to finish the last motivation tree. It was torture. I really hope the true ending is good and I'm happy with getting a platinum (I hope) because the game just has not been very good.
I remember spending hours upon hours grind leveling the girls before all of their endings, then doing it some more for the true ending. I'll more than likely play some buffer games before jumping into CG2. I'm close to finishing the Nightmare mode of ToCS2, so I might play one of the Shantae games I got in from Limited Run Games.

So is there some overlap in the "no physical no buy" people and the "I'll buy this on Steam over a physical copy" people?
I'm in the "I'll take anything as long as it's got waifus" camp.

So if the developers decided to end the game earlier, would you give it a better score? I feel like most RPGs, and generally modern games, suffer from being too long and having too much to achieve.

I think the developers of Criminal Girls 2 needed to let you save before a choice at the end instead of making you do the stupid boss fight a bunch of times. If the fight was short I'd be whatever, but it honestly takes me about 15-20 minutes or so per fight. They upped the grind for this one I think. I think that was a mistake since I've spent maybe 2-3 hours just grinding to beat bosses or harvest CM. Nothing else just mindless battles. It should've been shorter, but that would only bring it up maybe to a 6.5/10 at most. The battle system is pretty good though...just everything else. I do like the graphics.

Any of you play God Eater? Tempted to get it.
Does the game have mutiplayer? Either the first or second? I tried googling it but the first few results are steam forums asking if it has multiplayer or cross platform, even when I typed in PS4...

I did get it though, so if it has multiplayer, I'd be more than happy teaming up and getting this out of the backlog early.

Does the game have mutiplayer? Either the first or second? I tried googling it but the first few results are steam forums asking if it has multiplayer or cross platform, even when I typed in PS4...

I did get it though, so if it has multiplayer, I'd be more than happy teaming up and getting this out of the backlog early.
Both games have multi and I'm pretty sure it's cross platform between Vita/PS4.

Any of you play God Eater? Tempted to get it.
Does the game have mutiplayer? Either the first or second? I tried googling it but the first few results are steam forums asking if it has multiplayer or cross platform, even when I typed in PS4..
I have the platinums for both of them and their respective JP regions. Both of the games have cross-play multiplayer between Vita and PS4.

God Eater 2 with DLC code expires 2099.  FYI regular copy is in PRINT if you want 1st day edition with bonus 1st game get it quick ;)

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems like a very positive mention from all of you. I'll probably play this one sooner rather than later.

I'll probably pick up god eater. you guys will carry me through the missions right?
I was hoping you would carry me. We can all set up something on the PS4 Community group if you guys want, and for Vita owners, message if you want to cross play.

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems like a very positive mention from all of you. I'll probably play this one sooner rather than later.

I was hoping you would carry me. We can all set up something on the PS4 Community group if you guys want, and for Vita owners, message if you want to cross play.
I love cross-playing

I already have Resurrection on Vita that I've played a little. So when anyone else gets it/gets it with 2 I'm down for that.

Thanks for the tip on FF XV. Didn't realize it has that Amazon Preorder junk. Hopefully Amazon is good and ships the game on release date unlike my copy of Pokemon Moon which is coming on Tuesday.

On a side note, I noticed my GF has the  Senran Kagura Anime saver edition preordered. I am here wondering what the fuck because I know that would not be something she would normally buy due to the amount of perverted stuff.

Thanks for the tip on FF XV. Didn't realize it has that Amazon Preorder junk. Hopefully Amazon is good and ships the game on release date unlike my copy of Pokemon Moon which is coming on Tuesday.

On a side note, I noticed my GF has the Senran Kagura Anime saver edition preordered. I am here wondering what the fuck because I know that would not be something she would normally buy due to the amount of perverted stuff.
She buying it as a gift for you cause you like them boobies I'm sure :D/ .

On a side note, I noticed my GF has the Senran Kagura Anime saver edition preordered. I am here wondering what the fuck because I know that would not be something she would normally buy due to the amount of perverted stuff.
I'm playing through Shinovi Versus right now and the story is excellent. It's very deep and touching (seriously!), yet has humorous moments to lighten you up as well. If the anime is similar to the game, then she has good taste.

Yakuza 6 Gets Two Hours of Gameplay: Virtua FIghter 5, Puyo Puyo and Clan Creator

In the first video below you can check a long span of gameplay showcasing the clan creator feature (that allows Kazuma Kiryu to form his own clan and recruit members to engage other clans in large scale battles) at the 04:23:48 mark until 05:12:37.

More clan creator gameplay can be found in the second video, between 01:37:48 and 02:33:21.

Retro gaming fans will enjoy the gameplay between the 05:26:00 and the 05:39:20 marks of the first video, showcasing the classics Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown and Puyo Puyo, both of which are playable within the game’s arcades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1ayI5Y5f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8ELSXR4OY

Valkyria: Azure Revolution PS4 Gameplay Shows Brand New Mission, Giant Mecha Dragon Battle

(you can find gameplay at the 04:03:05 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC4NUP6YfwM

Valkyria: Azure Revolution PS4 Demo Codes Delivered: Check Your Mail if You Pre-Registered

NiOh Looks Fantastic in 30 Minutes of New Gameplay; Alpha and Beta Clear Bonuses Revealed

Not a whole lot going on this week. I didn't pay close enough attention to whether or not these PC Visual Novels ever had demos, but noticed it while browsing within the last week. So hopefully I'll catch them in the future better.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Counter Fight (VR | Simulation / Action)

Weekly Releases (November 20th - November 26th)

Dragon Ball: Fusions
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action / RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Online was added in a later patch for Japan. I don't know the status of it for the NA version, so I'm leaving it as N/A.

Samurai Shodown VI
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Fighting
- Comments: PS2 Classics release.

Exile's End
- Platform(s): Wii U
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PS4, Vita & PC.

Street Posse Showdown
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Not Japanese. Early Access.

Shuffle!
- Genre: Visual Novel

Love, Guitars, and the Nashville Skyline

A Magical High School Girl
- Genre: Action RPG

Japanese School Life

Dragon Knight
- Genre: Sidescroller / Action
- Comments: Not Japanese. Early access.

Ninja Smasher!
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: May or may not be Japanese. Supports Japanese though, so I'm adding it.

Past Releases
November 13th - November 19th
November 6th - November 12th
October 30th - November 5th
October 23rd - October 29th
October 16th - October 22nd

I do not know if Unlucky Mage is considered a niche game, but wondered if anyone has played it.

Been busy playing Yo-Kai Watch 2 and waiting for my pokemon games to get here.

I saw it when I was downloading the Pokemon demo and saw info about it on Silconera.

Anyone play it, what do you think? 

Also is anyone still playing Stardew Valley?

Just picked it up after the update and love the shed and cellar upgrades.

Just hit Year 3 after that super long winter I had to wait through in order to marry my person.

I cant wait for them to tend the farm and see how that works.

Working on getting to the bottom of the Mines, At lv 100 and building my farm into how I want it.

I do not know if Unlucky Mage is considered a niche game, but wondered if anyone has played it.
It's a KEMCO game that's surprisingly not a mobile port. Their games are generally alright if you've got nothing else to play/replay, but are very mediocre games. They mostly feel somewhat stiff in both dialogue and gameplay that usually lacks quality of life things to help make it easier to digest. I doubt you'll find anybody here who posts and has actually played it. Hell, I didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it and I actively try and go find out what's releasing on a weekly basis.

I'm not sure many people in this thread know this game exists and the few that do are likely waiting for the console port. I've played it a little bit back when it released but stopped and am waiting for the co-op update down the road. It's definitely a top tier indie game though.

You might be interested in CrossCode if it ever leaves early access (2017 Probably).

So I played that stupid mini game, but Amazon didn't send me a Road Trip code and going by the wording on that site it sounds like I should have it already?

So I played that stupid mini game, but Amazon didn't send me a Road Trip code and going by the wording on that site it sounds like I should have it already?
Check back on release.

It says the button to "redeem" will be available on the 29th and i guess depending on which mini games were completed, thats what your code will unlock when you redeem it.

Yup exactly like Draekon said, I'm waiting for the console port. I've nearly got it on pc a couple times, but luckily he announced it on ps4. I work on my pc all day, so lately I like consoles to go from work mode to play mode lol.

I'm really looking forward to it though. I think he said the port would be done this fall/winter. And I'm hoping LRG makes a physical version.

I had to chat with them to get mine. You should have got a code with your preorder, without the code you won't get the DLC.

If you're talking about the 16 digit code that's required to be inputted onto the site to obtain the DLC, then Amazon should have sent that to you already. I received mine on October 11th before it was even possible to play the game yet. It comes under the standard benefit email that Amazon sends out, which you can search for by using the FFXV order number. If you can't find it, then you'll have to go through Amazon support probably, like reaperztoll says.

Claiming the actual DLC codes though, yeah, you have to wait until 11/29.

^ Thanks to you both. All I got was the standard your order has been received email. I've been on the fence about FFXV and preordered less than 48 hours ago, so I'll see if I get it tomorrow before I contact support.

^ Thanks to you both. All I got was the standard your order has been received email. I've been on the fence about FFXV and preordered less than 48 hours ago, so I'll see if I get it tomorrow before I contact support.
I pre-ordered about a week before the "Road Trip" mini game went live. I ended up looking into it online when the mini game went up and my code still hadn't come in, and found other ppl confirming that their code took about 3-7 days to come in after they recently preordered. Mine ended up coming in on the 7th day after I ordered.

It's a KEMCO game that's surprisingly not a mobile port. Their games are generally alright if you've got nothing else to play/replay, but are very mediocre games. They mostly feel somewhat stiff in both dialogue and gameplay that usually lacks quality of life things to help make it easier to digest. I doubt you'll find anybody here who posts and has actually played it. Hell, I didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it and I actively try and go find out what's releasing on a weekly basis.
KEMCO peaked with Legend of the Ghost Lion on the NES.

For those few people interested in Cold Steel III, another character has been shown/revealed [customspoiler="via an image"]
CWmmqqS.jpg
[/customspoiler] and being circulated around the net. No other information.

KEMCO peaked with Legend of the Ghost Lion on the NES.
Wouldn't surprise me. Most of their current games feel like old NES RPGs or RPGMaker games which isn't exactly a good thing.

I missed this over the weekend to post it, so there's only about 11 hours remaining on this sale. GOG is selling some XSeed titles (Falcom titles, Corpse Party & Little King's Story) at their lowest price to date (roughly). They don't sell Steam keys and all the games they sell are DRM free.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20161118_weekend_promo_dotemu_xseed

Oh and the Steam Autumn Sale is likely coming up around Black Friday or thereabout. These will probably be on sale then too at the same price or potentially cheaper. I don't really see that happening except maybe on Trails in the Sky SC.

Good price on Ys VI, generally I'll take DRM over Steam if the price is right but I have all the other Ys games on Steam.

And too bad we aren't just getting Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS4 like we did Metal Slug. 

bread's done
Back