Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why it can't be an actual mature title and have a sex scene.
Cause they're high school students i'm assuming. Course you can go the eroge route and just say everyone is at least 18. Course age of consent in Japan....so eh...but yeah.

I honestly kind of like more when the main characters are more adult ages (like both Persona 2 games...man I would kill for a remake with P3-P5 fights). Maybe i'm a bit bored with high school drama and all with it being in a million anime and VNs. I would like a detective agency or something for the characters. I did like the office setting idea as well.

Also Demon Gaze 2/Tattoo Girls being coming out in November may make them likely purchases, since my October funds are going to be $0 after a terrible September.

There are implied scenes that Sayoko and Yu got freaky in an empty hospital room.
I literally finished Sayoko's S.Link last night, and no there aren't. She flirts with him a fair bit in the beginning of the link because she likes teasing him, but it never cuts away the way it does when the MC actually has sex.

Last Overwatch related post from me until next event announcement more than likely:

[customspoiler='Overwatch Animated Short: "Rise and Shine"']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdm32nkTcY[/customspoiler]

Previous Junkertown in-engine short and Junkertown map announce here.

Yeah, September is STACKED for me as well. I'm trying to stick to a certain $/month budget, and fortunately I used a lot of various retailer rewards points on September orders and I'm probably not buying anything in August (still undecided on Warriors All-Stars, but I do have enough leftover rewards for that too if I want it)

I'm looking at Summon Night 6 LE

Ys VIII LE

Ys Dana shirt (assuming this will ship around the same time as the game, anyway)

Operation Babel LE (I stuck this with my Ys order long ago to get free shipping..)

Mary Skelter Nightmares LE

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash

Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase (this will probably get canceled)

Art of Persona 5 (may also get canceled)

Blue Reflection

I remember at the beginning of the year saying something about buying less LE's, and yet here's what September looks like  :dunce:

I feel like this might be the best place to ask.

Are there any other Switch games besides I am Setsuna that have english versions to them.

Just curious.

I don't know why it can't be an actual mature title and have a sex scene.
Well, at least this has been the most mature of the Persona games. Well, between the "trilogy." It's got murder, drugs, rape, organized crime, profanity, political corruption, red light districts, etc. The consequences are pretty dire in this one, not just "we gotta save the world" but each individual character's own dilemmas. Just look at Haru's situation. So it's definitely got a lot of grown up themes, but I don't think it's ever going to be like Grand Theft Auto and have strip clubs and stuff, and full on nudity. I don't think any Japanese console games are like that, maybe Yakuza? I guess Killer is Dead had some questionable scenes in it.

It's a nice change of pace from the school invested setting, where Persona 4 felt like Degrassi, Persona 5 was like Ocean's Eleven.

AND HIFUMI?! She just plays shogi. And is a model
She cheated in the Shogi tournament. Or her mother did?

The office was a great show but no. It can't be Jim, it has to be Asian Jim.
I just realized Asian Jim was the same guy who played Kim Jong Un in The Interview.

It's not more mature if it's got all sorts of goofy grownup stuff but all your villains are designated evil cartoonish assholes and every single old lady is after your teen cock. Get real.

P4 had people at risk of, and in a few situations, actually getting murdered by their own shameful neuroses given flesh. P5 had "I pretty much raped a girl and she tried to kill herself. And that was HILARIOUS."

Don't get me wrong, not saying anything negative. Both excellent games. But you gotta describe them accurately.

Wow this game looks great! More so than I expected. The graphics look pretty good, and the combat is fluid. The hud is also nice, but the enemy AI looks kinda stiff. Also, Uni is like a theif character with dual pistols, that's so sick!

Her mother fixed it without her knowledge.

And Asian Jim is the dad on Fresh Off the Boat.
It's been a while since I played it, but I thought she knew already, or had a thought that it was her mother all along. I might be mistaken though.

He's also the AT&T guy from Neighbors. I just watched it recently so it stuck with me.

I literally finished Sayoko's S.Link last night, and no there aren't. She flirts with him a fair bit in the beginning of the link because she likes teasing him, but it never cuts away the way it does when the MC actually has sex.
It cuts to black whenever they have sex which can be multiple times in the link. You either were doing the link properly or are ignoring it. Requires specific answers much like most links to see specific events.

Does anyone know where I can find an NIS discount code? Do they work on preorders? Was gonna snag Ys from them and LRG. Gotta find out when that's going live so I can snag one. I love Ys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know where I can find an NIS discount code? Do they work on preorders? Was gonna snag Ys from them and LRG. Gotta find out when that's going live so I can snag one. I love Ys
Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen one here, or any place for that matter. I've been shopping with them for years, and I've never gotten one for any reason. Maybe if anyone follows them on social media, they may give some out there, but I still should have seen one pop up here from time to time, but I don't think I ever have.

Their rewards program is pretty good, as you earn points for every purchase, and the discounts are offered directly at check out if so desired. I just got $10 off of an order last week because of it. Pretty sweet.

^ Just FYI, but using the full Cold Steel III article title has some Cold Steel II spoilers in it by association. You should just edit it to end it at 'movie'. Granted a lot of the article titles for Cold Steel III have have had stuff in it that's about the same as this one, but at least most of their titles are obfuscated behind series terminology.

And to anybody else interested in watching it, don't if you haven't beaten the second game. If you have then It's not as spoiler heavy as many of the other Falcom trailers, but it shows a few things that some people in this thread would quite easily consider spoilers.

^ Just FYI, but using the full Cold Steel III article title has some Cold Steel II spoilers in it by association. You should just edit it to end it at 'movie'.

And to anybody else interested in watching it, don't if you haven't beaten the second game. If you have then It's not as spoiler heavy as many of the other Falcom trailers, but it shows a few things that people in this thread would quite easily consider spoilers.
I hate that I went to Gematsu as I usually do, glanced at the article title, and realized too late the CS2 spoiler in it about
Osborne.

I'm only 20 hours in, still in Act 1, having just arrived at Bareahard. :wall:

Does NISA charges preorder right away or when it ships?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
When it ships, kinda. They do a billing period a couple of weeks before it ships.

For example Ys VIII will start billing on 8/29

Apparently you can manually pay in advance if you want, but I've never tried it:

"Additionally, PayPal users have the alternative of sending us a manual payment for their orders. Manual payments can be sent via PayPal to [email protected]. Please ensure that your manual payment also includes your order number."

I hate that I went to Gematsu as I usually do, glanced at the article title, and realized too late the CS2 spoiler in it about
Osborne.

I'm only 20 hours in, still in Act 1, having just arrived at Bareahard. :wall:
In a sense it's a big spoiler because implications, but it's fairly predictable one. Though having pointed it out makes it a bit more obvious. Not that the people who post the articles on the sites always know how much of something is a spoiler. Falcom in general just cares little if they spoil some important bits here and there as shown by their track record. It's also because the series has sequelitis which makes things a lot harder to potentially avoid spoilers.

And yeah, it's a long game. More so if you take the recommendation of talking to people after every event (or at the very least the school). The final chapter being the worst with that. If you're playing the PC version with Turbo though, then it isn't quite as bad. The chapter where you go to Nord was the biggest slog without Turbo. Took way too long to run around that place.

In a sense it's a big spoiler, but it's fairly predictable one. Though having pointed it out makes it a bit more obvious. Not that the people who post the articles on the sites always know how much of something is a spoiler. Falcom in general just cares little if they spoil some important bits here and there as shown by their track record. It's also because the series has sequelitis which makes things a lot harder to potentially avoid spoilers.

And yeah, it's a long game. More so if you take the recommendation of talking to people after every event (or at the very least the school). The final chapter being the worst with that. If you're playing the PC version with Turbo though, then it isn't quite as bad. The chapter where you go to Nord was the biggest slog without Turbo. Took way too long to run around that place.
I'm playing CS2 on PS3 and already platted CS1.

Ah, for some reason I thought you were in the first game. The second one didn't cross my mind despite what you said originally. Enjoy your Suikoden-like romp of the second game then.

Action RPG Closers Announced for the West With New Screenshots and Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TPmoadiVHE

Tekken 7 DLC #1 launches August 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m97Hm6Dmbc

Etrian Odyssey V Shows How to Heal and Debuff With The ‘Botanist’ Class in New English Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SK1FVyb2g

Sonic Forces Shows a First Look at ‘Tag’ Gameplay in New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4UwxxN5v94

Final Fantasy XV Assassin’s Creed-themed free DLC ‘Assassin’s Festival’ announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn6Sy3Xx5Ss

Shantae Half-Genie Hero is finally getting its Risky Boots DLC on August 29th. Backers have it available to them now. Backers have started receiving keys today, but it's apparently a manual process and may take up to a couple days for some. No word on price for those who didn't back the game unfortunately.

[customspoiler='Pirate Queen's Quest Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCWiDZWjTk[/customspoiler]

It's been a while since I played it, but I thought she knew already, or had a thought that it was her mother all along. I might be mistaken though.
In one of her later social links, she loses immediately in the first and finds out her fame was all set up by her mom.

That's a TON of stuff in that Sen III trailer.

I'm playing CS2 on PS3 and already platted CS1.
Get ready for a long haul; my bro finished everything in 102 hours. I didn't since I took too long and then the PC versions were announced.

@ Olengie (sorry don't know why CAG is fubaring your quote) : I soulda beaten P5 by now. I'm not sure what happened.

Probably doesn't help I like start a ton of games and never finish them. Like last weekend where I played eight (EIGHT!) hours of Akiba's Beat. Wanted to plant my face firmly on my desk every minute; it's like...let's rip EVERYTHING that's a Japanese trope together with nearly-okay Tales combat. Not even Symphonia Dawn of the New World's controls were this unresponsive. At least I only paid $9 (Thanks Gamefly) and can jettison this thing without losing money.

Old hags??? What are you, like 8 years old?
No but you play one in Persona dating women almost old enough to be your mother. You're proving my point. You don't notice it because you aren't protag's age, you're Tae's age you crotchety old man. And you still want her to provide for you and call you her guinea pig rather than man up and provide for her.

They're supposed to. Some people have already played through it. I'm not a backer though, so I can't speak from first hand experience.

EDIT: Looks like they started distributing them today. Not everybody gets one all at once it seems.

We’ll start the distribution process TODAY, so keep an eye on your inbox! As before, we apologize that there’s no way to post all of them simultaneously. We have a lot of Backers around the globe, so we have to work with many external groups to handle the code acquisition and distribution. It takes a few days to get the codes to everyone, so thanks for your patience!

https://twitter.com/konarofu/status/900221662804815873

IwdMRbR.gif

when the cold steel stuff comes up I just plug my ears and go "LALALALALALA"

which is really weird because I'm reading text on a monitor :whistle2:k

No but you play one in Persona dating women almost old enough to be your mother. You're proving my point. You don't notice it because you aren't protag's age, you're Tae's age you crotchety old man. And you still want her to provide for you and call you her guinea pig rather than man up and provide for her.
Sorry. They're not old enough to be my mother.

That's a TON of stuff in that Sen III trailer.

Get ready for a long haul; my bro finished everything in 102 hours. I didn't since I took too long and then the PC versions were announced.

@ Olengie (sorry don't know why CAG is fubaring your quote) : I soulda beaten P5 by now. I'm not sure what happened.

Probably doesn't help I like start a ton of games and never finish them. Like last weekend where I played eight (EIGHT!) hours of Akiba's Beat. Wanted to plant my face firmly on my desk every minute; it's like...let's rip EVERYTHING that's a Japanese trope together with nearly-okay Tales combat. Not even Symphonia Dawn of the New World's controls were this unresponsive. At least I only paid $9 (Thanks Gamefly) and can jettison this thing without losing money.
I started Akiba's Trip years ago and I haven't gotten far before I stopped playing i. I'll return to it eventually. :lol:

They're supposed to. Some people have already played through it. I'm not a backer though, so I can't speak from first hand experience.

EDIT: Looks like they started distributing them today. Not everybody gets one all at once it seems.
I do actually have a code in my backer kit--probably the first time WayForward has ever gotten anything to me on time.

It's just for the wrong system, and trying to get a reply from their customer support takes like two weeks minimum.

:/

Haha, math isn't your strong suit is it?

Regardless of your views on age, you might want to rethink the old fashioned views you have of male roles in a relationship.

bread's done
Back