Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Monster Hunter World in the mail from Best Buy today and did not receive the Steelbook. A chat and call to customer service claimed that it should have automatically added an extra item to my order but it didn’t.
They also are saying they have not received the steelbooks and do not expect them until mid February. Good job Best Buy.
Yeah, I remember checking my order last week and not seeing the steelbook automatically added, so I ended up just cancelling and re-ordering it again to avoid issues. This same situation happened before, and BestBuy basically told me 'Too late, nothing we can do', which is why I just canceled and re-ordered this time. I didn't want to deal with that again.

In terms of the steelbook, I ended up getting a message saying it was delayed, but that it should arrive on Monday. I'm just glad the reverse didn't happen, where the steelbook would arrive on time but the game would be delayed. (It's happened to me before and it sucks)

Today Mangagamer released :

The Spirit Master of Retarnia -Conqueror of the Labyrinth (Mangagamer NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Their next game releases 02/22/2018 and is:

A Kiss For The Petals - Maidens of Michael (Mangagamer NSFW)

VNDB

Steam Page

It has an early discount to $31.45 on Mangagamer and will likely have an 18+ patch for the Steam version. I'm not much into Yuri games, but this one is considered to be cute. I may or may not get this one.

Also I'll be giving a review for Imouto Paradise 2 soon. It wasn't as good as the first and was a slog to get through. More details later!

Thanks for heads up about Utawarerumono. Picked up the last one with the pillow.

Also, can't wait to play with everyone on MHW tomorrow.

tumblr_p37055E0hB1tctta4o1_540.jpg

Got my MHW today but couldn't play it because of work. Had to buy PSN+ when I got home. I feel filthy buying online for a video game console. I went and looked at the free games and had a laugh

Got Monster Hunter World in the mail from Best Buy today and did not receive the Steelbook. A chat and call to customer service claimed that it should have automatically added an extra item to my order but it didn’t.
They also are saying they have not received the steelbooks and do not expect them until mid February. Good job Best Buy.
For some reason mine was set to in store pick up. UPS dropped off my game yesterday. I'm not sure I want to go down there just for that.

fuuka and yukari were horrible human beans.  Track team assistant coach was the best option but since she's kaz girl I have to default to student council treasury girl.

Full list of changes/improvements courtesy of Durante:

Graphics:
- Arbitrary resolution and FPS settings (Up to 6k and 60 FPS officially supported, minimum resolution 1280x720)
- Image quality settings: up to 8x multi-sample anti-aliasing, transparency supersampling, and anisotropic filtering
- Shadow quality, distance and filtering improvements as well as additional shadow casters
- Postprocessing improvements, including HBAO+ as well as higher quality depth-of-field and glow effects
- Unlimited draw distance option (eliminates pop-in)
- Ultrawide aspect ratio support (e.g. 21:9)
- Field of View (FoV) adjustment

Input:
- Mouse/keyboard controls with full rebinding support
- Selectable button prompts, including mouse/keyboard and several controller types
- Gamepad button rebinding
- Option to disable camera auto-centering

Quality of Life:
- Turbo mode, with configurable speedup factors for battles and field traversal (automatically stops during timed battle input prompts)
- Autosaves with configurable autosave interval
- Instant resume feature which allows you to resume directly from Steam to your latest save
- Options for skipping startup movies and logos

Audio:
- 5271 additional lines of voice acting
- Uncompressed background music quality

Source

Full list of changes/improvements courtesy of Durante:

Graphics:
- Arbitrary resolution and FPS settings (Up to 6k and 60 FPS officially supported, minimum resolution 1280x720)
- Image quality settings: up to 8x multi-sample anti-aliasing, transparency supersampling, and anisotropic filtering
- Shadow quality, distance and filtering improvements as well as additional shadow casters
- Postprocessing improvements, including HBAO+ as well as higher quality depth-of-field and glow effects
- Unlimited draw distance option (eliminates pop-in)
- Ultrawide aspect ratio support (e.g. 21:9)
- Field of View (FoV) adjustment

Input:
- Mouse/keyboard controls with full rebinding support
- Selectable button prompts, including mouse/keyboard and several controller types
- Gamepad button rebinding
- Option to disable camera auto-centering

Quality of Life:
- Turbo mode, with configurable speedup factors for battles and field traversal (automatically stops during timed battle input prompts)
- Autosaves with configurable autosave interval
- Instant resume feature which allows you to resume directly from Steam to your latest save
- Options for skipping startup movies and logos

Audio:
- 5271 additional lines of voice acting
- Uncompressed background music quality

Source
Man I would just make Durante the go to guy for all the Japanese games wanting ti port their games to PC

Man I would just make Durante the go to guy for all the Japanese games wanting ti port their games to PC
He's only one person, only so much that he can handle at one time. The better solution would be for publishers to hire more competent teams to port/optimize games.. but Durante is likely much cheaper to hire than a full team.

I

He's only one person, only so much that he can handle at one time. The better solution would be for publishers to hire more competent teams to port/optimize games.. but Durante is likely much cheaper to hire than a full team.
Yeah I should of rather said that Durante should get a team of people

fuuka and yukari were horrible human beans. Track team assistant coach was the best option but since she's kaz girl I have to default to student council treasury girl.
Fuuka was literally still caring and loyal to a girl that bullied her. Naive? Perhaps, but certainly not 'horrible'. I might agree about Yukari.

BTW: Chiro (SC Tres.) and Yuko (track - well swim for me- manager) were my original choices, 1st play through.

So MHW is actually pretty damn fun, but I'm hearing the SOS mechanic is not working for ppl so they're stuck soloing.

Since you're basically forced to watch the cutscene for the story quest you're currently doing before getting credit for it.

I found a cheese way to get around having to solo it if you don't want to. 

So start up the quest, go thru the cutscene and when you get the 

"You can now SOS to ask for help" return to camp. Then search up a lobby that has that quest and join it.

(Filter Search via monster it's faster) You can join someone elses quest and still get credit instead of having to wait for ppl to join in yours.

Is Dissidia NT going to be worth buying on release?
Nope, probably not, unless you just love to battle online. I did play the beta and it took forever to find matches. I felt it was pretty fun when I found the right character that suited me, but it's not really balanced at all. If you're not a huge fan, I would wait until clearance (assuming people are still playing when that happens lol). With that said, I'm getting it for the steelbook because I'm a sucker for that and anything FF.

Fuuka was literally still caring and loyal to a girl that bullied her. Naive? Perhaps, but certainly not 'horrible'. I might agree about Yukari.

BTW: Chiro (SC Tres.) and Yuko (track - well swim for me- manager) were my original choices, 1st play through.
Fuuka was also a clutz, ditz and super idiot when it came to cooking. Between that and her annoying battle narrating with a bad va choice I just didn't like her at all. Bullied wise that girl was pretty cool and turned around to be fair.

Meanwhile I'm all in on FeMC for P3, she better be in the remake that hopefully fuses FES and Portable
Femc route is awesome and really made me love p3p with the addition of the party member social links along with other qol improvements. I just hope in the remake they add in the s link removing character weaknesses from p4, finally fix the mind charge damage multiplier and sp cost so it's useful like in p4 instead of useless like it is in all 3 versions of p3.

Ugh, if I ever do another Saturday event then I'll need to prep this way before that event. Anyways, not much this week outside of Dissidia and the Final Fantasy XII Zodiac PC port. Although I do very much recommend checking out Avernum 3 if you're into PC RPGs. The developer for it makes some really good PC RPGs and I recommend them.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Grisaia Phantom Trigger Vol. 4 (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (January 28th - February 3rd)

Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Fighting
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Yes.

Wulverblade
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Previously released on Switch.

SteamWorld Dig
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Vita, XB1 & PC.

Sky Force Reloaded
- Genre: SHMUP
- Online: Local only.

Night in the Woods
- Genre: Adventure

Soul Grabber
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Comments: Early access.

Dragon Cliff 龙崖
- Genre: Management / RPG

[東方二次] Senran Meisuishu Tactics / 戦乱命萃酒タクティクス
- Genre: SRPG / Visual Novel?
- Comments: Touhou indie game.

Avernum 3: Ruined World
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: One of the best PC indie RPG devs in my opinion.

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4. Will use Denuvo DRM.

Final Prophet
- Genre: Action-Adventure

わがままアリスと百日戦争
- Genre: Simulation / Grand Strategy Lite?
- Comments: Japanese language only.

Past Releases
January 21st - January 27th
January 14th - January 20th
January 7th - January 13th
December 31st - January 6th
December 24th - December 30th

Seeing how Sekai Project released the PC version in the English they are the only one who is going to bring it to US.
Are you sure? Sekai Project got the rights for Rabi Ribi PS4/Vita but Winking Entertainment will be releasing it for Switch. Or am I mistaken

Are you sure? Sekai Project got the rights for Rabi Ribi PS4/Vita but Winking Entertainment will be releasing it for Switch. Or am I mistaken
Correction, meant to say Nekopara was localized by Sekai Project. For Rabi Ribi Sekai Project was just one of the publishers.

Played through a bit of Monster Hunter World. I'm glad the tutorial is so much shorter this time around, but I don't know if it's just me, but I am left with a ton of questions and felt like not enough was explained. 

Played through a bit of Monster Hunter World. I'm glad the tutorial is so much shorter this time around, but I don't know if it's just me, but I am left with a ton of questions and felt like not enough was explained.
Keep playing. I’m about 8 hours in and still am regularly getting tutorials. The game gives a new tutorial once a quest relates to a new thing you can do. Make sure to talk to people you find in the quest areas too. They give tutorials too

Best Buy decided to ship my Monster Hunter World from the other side of the country, and without the steelbook, so I gotta wait until Tuesday until its delivered.  :cry:  It would appear that they cancelled the steelbook from my order so going to have to keep an eye on stores the next two weeks.  Shipments were under-delivered. 

It's awesome to hear that everybody is playing and enjoying the game though.  It sounds cool!  It seems likely that Monster Hunter will finally break into the mainstream in the Americas now with this kind of exposure and reception, and also because it released on Xbox and PS4. 

Best Buy decided to ship my Monster Hunter World from the other side of the country, and without the steelbook, so I gotta wait until Tuesday until its delivered. :cry: It would appear that they cancelled the steelbook from my order so going to have to keep an eye on stores the next two weeks. Shipments were under-delivered.

It's awesome to hear that everybody is playing and enjoying the game though. It sounds cool! It seems likely that Monster Hunter will finally break into the mainstream in the Americas now with this kind of exposure and reception, and also because it released on Xbox and PS4.
I'm still waiting for all of mine to be shipped out, everything is still on the preparing stage. I still have the steelbook in my order, but the pre-order dlc had it's date changed to 01/01/0001 :???:

Normally as long as I get everything fine and dany I wouldn't care, but the damn Horizon Zero Dawn event going on is timed and at this rate I don't even think it's going to show up before the event is over, let alone with enough time to complete it.

Normally as long as I get everything fine and dany I wouldn't care, but the damn Horizon Zero Dawn event going on is timed and at this rate I don't even think it's going to show up before the event is over, let alone with enough time to complete it.
Getting up to HR6 for the Horizon event isn't too bad. I'd wager it takes about 6 hours? If you have a limited amount of time to play, then yeah, it can be harsh depending on when you get the game relative to February 8th.

Best Buy decided to ship my Monster Hunter World from the other side of the country, and without the steelbook, so I gotta wait until Tuesday until its delivered. :cry: It would appear that they cancelled the steelbook from my order so going to have to keep an eye on stores the next two weeks. Shipments were under-delivered.

It's awesome to hear that everybody is playing and enjoying the game though. It sounds cool! It seems likely that Monster Hunter will finally break into the mainstream in the Americas now with this kind of exposure and reception, and also because it released on Xbox and PS4.
I think the bolded section is the key right there. They have held the series back for years with the nintendo exclusivity.

I think the bolded section is the key right there. They have held the series back for years with the nintendo exclusivity.
Yeah, I swore off the series after MH4U if it stayed on the 3DS. I spent more time struggling with the controls than enjoying the game and I refused to spend an extra $20 on the circle pad attachment.

bread's done
Back