Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not instant buy prices in that IFI sale for standard editions ($30/ea)... though tempting to pick back up buying Neptunia games. It's a shame they don't have screen shots and gameplay video in their store for each of the games. Death End re;Quest sounds interesting on paper but I'd have to research it to see if those two games are something I might like. Same for the Fairy Fencer F games. Probably staying on the sidelines on this sale... though Megadimension Neptunia VII is tempting.
Fairy fencer f gameplay is similar to cold steel, arc the lad twilight of the spirit, Neptune series of course among other things. The games are made to be pretty easy.

As you get more swords to put in the ground outside of the dungeons you enter you get bonuses.

I am interested in the Fairy Fencer F: Refrain Chord Limited Edition PS5 but it's not enough for free shipping. Not really interested in tactical games, I just want to try it because I like the first game. Anyone find it weird how easy they made it to max level 999 late game in Advent Dark Force? It only took me less than an hour to do it.
I'd assume it was over compensating for the Neptunia games being grindy as hell.

Finished FFVII Rebirth last night and holy shit, fuck that final boss. How many phases is enough? Seven? Eight? Nine? TEN?! Shit's putting MegaTen to shame. And that final phase, good god. Took me four or five tries to get it. All told, the final boss battle was about two hours long for me. And all for a really unsatisfying ending. This game had a serious inability to just let scenes breathe. You'd have an emotional (and iconic) moment and before anyone could mourn or meditate on what happened, BOOM big loud battle! Action sequence! Goofy shit! And the constant word salads from Sephiroth and even Aerith were getting more and more grating, until I just didn't care anymore during the finale. I don't know where in the hell this story is going to go because it's clear the dev team is just uninterested in making any sense. The implications of what's to come in part 3 are unappealing to me, with the exception of Zack because he was the best part of this game's finale and if we have to do this horrific, multiverse nightmare, at least we have Zack to possibly save the day. God, I'm so sick of multiverses and mystery boxes.

7/10. I wanted to go down to a 6 but I know it's better than that. I'm just exhausted after the slog, man.

Touhou Luna Nights '5-Year Anniversary' physical editions announced for PS5, Switch

The standard edition will include a printed color manual and special sleeve. The limited edition includes a printed manual, an original soundtrack double CD, three alternative inlays, a serialized certificate of authenticity, and a SteelBook case, all housed in an oversized collector’s box.

Depending on the price, I might be in for the LE thanks to the steelbook:
Touhou-Luna-Nights_2024_06-25-24_022-1024x1024.jpg

Figured some here would want to know...

Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak II coming to the west​

EDIT: some decent deals in that PA sale. This might be the one that gets me.

Figured some here would want to know...

Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak II coming to the west​

Good, as expected. They've been saying there would be a significant reveal on 7/5 at the expo event with Falcom's president. I've assumed it would be news that's less expected than the localization of Kuro II.

bread's done
Back