Kroger Bargain Bin HD-DVDs

Jeremy O'Brien

CAG Veteran
Long time reader, first time poster here. I searched and I didn't see this anywhere yet so I thought I'd try and give something back to the community that has saved me so much money.

For whatever reason, Kroger is currently carrying HD DVDs in their bargain bins for 4-8 dollars a pop. I can't remember all of them but the ones I can are as follows:

Accepted
Alpha Dog
An American Werewolf in London
Animal House
Army of Darkness
Balls of Fury
Breach
The Breakfast Club
The Breakup
Children Of Men
Dazed and Confused
Eastern Promises
Elizabeth
Evan Almighty
The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fearlesss
The Good Shepard
Half Baked
Hollywoodland
Hot Fuzz
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
The Kingdom
Miami Vice
Slither
Smokin Aces
Unleashed
You, Me, and Dupree

I'm sure there were more, this is just from memory. If I can remember more, I'll post them. I went to two on the east side of Cincinnati, btw.

I hit a couple of Krogers yesterday, but only picked up standard DVD sets (Moonlighting s3 and s5, K Street, and Unscripted). I've found plenty of the HD-DVDs, but I've already watched most of them, and I don't feel the need to have them in my collection. I'd probably get American Werewolf in London and Animal House if I found them, though.

Has anyone seen any seasons 1&2 (1 set), or 4 of Moonlighting at Kroger? I'd love to complete the set for cheap, but I'd rather not go out searching unless I know there is a chance of finding them.

There were other standard DVD sets too:
Boomtown s1 (already have it)
Angels in America (already have it)
Mind of the Married Man s1 (considered it, but have only seen 1 episode)

Another one that I thought was a season of Providence or Judging Amy or something like that, but probably wasn't, based on my searches of amazon, ddd, and half.com. I'm pretty sure it was purple, if that helps ;). Anyone find other season sets?

[quote name='guessed']I hit a couple of Krogers yesterday, but only picked up standard DVD sets (Moonlighting s3 and s5, K Street, and Unscripted). I've found plenty of the HD-DVDs, but I've already watched most of them, and I don't feel the need to have them in my collection. I'd probably get American Werewolf in London and Animal House if I found them, though.

Has anyone seen any seasons 1&2 (1 set), or 4 of Moonlighting at Kroger? I'd love to complete the set for cheap, but I'd rather not go out searching unless I know there is a chance of finding them.

There were other standard DVD sets too:
Boomtown s1 (already have it)
Angels in America (already have it)
Mind of the Married Man s1 (considered it, but have only seen 1 episode)

Another one that I thought was a season of Providence or Judging Amy or something like that, but probably wasn't, based on my searches of amazon, ddd, and half.com. I'm pretty sure it was purple, if that helps ;). Anyone find other season sets?[/QUOTE]

Mind of The Married Man is pretty good. I got it at Big Lots awhile back for $3. It's sorta like Sex & The City from a man's point of view. The only thing is there was a season 2 and they never released it on dvd.

Cool, Fry's by my work was running it. Dobson and Ray in Chandler, AZ and the Fry's Marketplace on Rural and Ray. (the normal Fry's across the street on Rural does not have any HDs, so go to the Marketplace across the street)
Snagged Hollywoodland, Mr. Bean, and a bunch of others. Also saw Boomtown and snagged that. They had Malcolm in the Middel season 1, but it was 14.99 so I passed. I hope to find Angels in America. How much is that?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I hope to find Angels in America. How much is that?[/quote]

I want to say it was $4.99, but I don't remember for sure. I know it was no more than $7.99.

I am so irritated!
I USED to live right down the street for a Kroger in Cincy!
Damn me for moving to where there is no Kroger (or even a Meijer!)

[quote name='Cameron4All']I am so irritated!
I USED to live right down the street for a Kroger in Cincy!
Damn me for moving to where there is no Kroger (or even a Meijer!)[/quote]

well i've been to about 6 kroger's in or around cincy, and only one had the hd's. so it's not THAT big of a loss.

[quote name='luvmysegadc']Nothing @ 86th & Township Line Rd., Indy (Willow Lake S.C.).

Has anyone found a Kroger's in the Indy area that has them?[/QUOTE]

The store in greenwood on Worthsville Road had them. Not Indy but pretty close.

[quote name='prayformojo']Nothing in Nashville yet, i.e. Cool springs Kroger[/quote]

5713 Edmondson Pike has them, and so does 5319 Mt. View Rd.

5771 Nolensville Rd does not.

I should know soon if 2284 Murfreesboro Road has them, my wife is there now. I'll update soon.

Edit: No bin at 2284 Murfreesboro Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to King Soopers in Denver and found a markdown Bin with the following HD DVD's .....

The Breakfast Club $3.99
Accepted $4.99
An American Werewolf in London $3.99
Mr. Beans Holiday $5.99
The Good Shepherd $5.99
Dazed and Confused $3.99
The Kingdom $5.99
Breach $5.99
The Hitcher $3.99
also on regular dvd Boomtown Season one 5 disc set for $7.99
They also had a bunch of other hd dvd tiltles but those are the ones I picked up. It seems all the King Soopers has some HD-DVD's.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Cool, Fry's by my work was running it. Dobson and Ray in Chandler, AZ and the Fry's Marketplace on Rural and Ray. (the normal Fry's across the street on Rural does not have any HDs, so go to the Marketplace across the street)
Snagged Hollywoodland, Mr. Bean, and a bunch of others. Also saw Boomtown and snagged that. They had Malcolm in the Middel season 1, but it was 14.99 so I passed. I hope to find Angels in America. How much is that?[/quote]

The Gilbert & Baseline Fry's had Angels in America when i was there last night. I can't remember the price though (i think $5.99).

[quote name='gothamcentral79']The Gilbert & Baseline Fry's had Angels in America when i was there last night. I can't remember the price though (i think $5.99).[/QUOTE]
Nice nice. AZ CAGs working together. :grouphug: I can't wait to go to the Gilbert and Baseline location-- you said it had a lot of what was already listed so it should be interesting. The two Chandler locations seemed sort of sparse.
Thanks for the info about the HDs and boxset. I hope they have some of the Moonlighting sets too. I've wanted to see that show.

[quote name='trabbahabba']The store in greenwood on Worthsville Road had them. Not Indy but pretty close.[/quote]

Oh so tempting, but a little further than I wanna drive right now (my luck the next winning powerball ticket will be sold there).

Thanks for the info.

Hit up a King Soopers here in Denver

Picked up:
Slither $5.99
The Scorpion King $3.99

Hopeful future pick ups:
Children of men
Fast and the furious: Tokyo Drift
Hot Fuzz
The Kingdom
Smokin' Aces

Thanks for the tip unjust

[quote name='Sacsquash']Hit up a King Soopers here in Denver

Picked up:
Slither $5.99
The Scorpion King $3.99

Hopeful future pick ups:
Children of men
Fast and the furious: Tokyo Drift
Hot Fuzz
The Kingdom
Smokin' Aces

Thanks for the tip unjust[/quote]

No problem, us Denver CAG's have to stick together ;)

[quote name='guessed']

Another one that I thought was a season of Providence or Judging Amy or something like that, but probably wasn't, based on my searches of amazon, ddd, and half.com. I'm pretty sure it was purple, if that helps ;). Anyone find other season sets?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's Providence. It's a collection of the best twelve episodes-- I passed on it for that reason. Then again, it is 4.99 so maybe I will try it.

I've picked up everything pretty much that people have listed as far as the boxsets go and passed on season 2 of Missing. I thought about it because Vivica Fox is fine, but then IMDBed it on my phone and saw what people rated it. Add me to the person wondering if the Kroger stores are selling the other two boxsets of Moonlighting-- luckily the first two seasons are in one set, and then there's season 4... but yeah only thing I've been able to buy is season 3 and season 5.

One Fry's I went in was running a badass clearance sale. Everything in the bin was 1.00. I picked up Coldplay's Viva la Vida album, Pauly Shore is Dead, a Yu-Gi-Oh DVD, and a few other randoms. Also managed to snag every HD I wanted on the list. Wound up with about 20 of them. I probably overdid it, but I did use flip money (GS credit into Wii Fits that sold on Craigslist for 100 a piece.)

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']anyone in the dallas, tx area find some?[/quote]

I'd like to get confirmation of the deal anywhere in TX. I've been to 6 or 7 Krogers in my area and in the Houston area and have yet to find a single HD-DVD. I have a feeling this deal hasn't made it our way yet:cry:

Edit: Scratch that! I found some today in the Clute, TX Kroger. They had quite a few titles left, but unfortunately, everything I was personally looking for was already gone:cry:

Went to another King Soopers in Denver

Everything was very well displayed along the wall at least for HD DVDs. They had several but not every HD DVD that was on the list. The wife wasn't with me so my instincts got the best of me, so I think I ended up spending a bit more than I planned.

Picked up:
Breach
Children of Men
Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (For the wife, perhaps she'll forgive me)
Hot Fuzz (Tons & Tons of Bonus features definitely a must have)
The Kingdom
Land of the Dead (Already own the DVD but I like George A. Romero)
Smokin' Aces

It's funny I didn't own a single HD-DVD other than King Kong up until this sale and now I have over 10.

[quote name='maccabee72']I'd like to get confirmation of the deal anywhere in TX. I've been to 6 or 7 Krogers in my area and in the Houston area and have yet to find a single HD-DVD. I have a feeling this deal hasn't made it our way yet:cry:[/quote]

i feel really dumb going into the same kroger every few days looking for hd dvds. i'm not gonna ask anyone that works there, because i doubt they even know what one is.

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']i feel really dumb going into the same kroger every few days looking for hd dvds. i'm not gonna ask anyone that works there, because i doubt they even know what one is.[/quote]

Just ask if they have a dvd bargain bin, this will most likely unveil the HD-DVDs. At least this has been the case here in Denver.

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']i feel really dumb going into the same kroger every few days looking for hd dvds. i'm not gonna ask anyone that works there, because i doubt they even know what one is.[/quote]

Just ask at Customer Service which department would be in charge of DVDs (it's most likely GM now (General Merchandise)) see if a staff member in that department is working... ask them about the big display it's 4' x 4' of discounted DVDs and HDVDs, most staff members do not realize HDVDs are in the display...
and YOUR WELCOME to the Kings/Krogers members...
Grocery stores are Very easy to approach and ask for help...I grew up in grocery retail...who knows ...IF the display is still in the back (doubtful but possible) you might find yourself in the backroom finding the titles you want...tell em your sis works from Krogers in the Rockies....;)
Good Luck !

I just got back from the Kroger near New Hope Commons in Durham, NC, and they now have the HD-DVD bargain bin. I picked up Children of Men for $5.99 and Dazed and Confused, Half Baked, and An American Werewolf in London for $3.99 each. They had a pretty good variety (off the top of my head, saw Hot Fuzz, Eastern Promises, Smokin' Aces, and quite a few others).

Has anyone seen these in any of the Los Angeles area Kroger owned stores, besides the Fullterton one mentioned earlier? (Food 4 Less, Ralphs)

[quote name='Justin42']Has anyone seen these in any of the Los Angeles area Kroger owned stores, besides the Fullterton one mentioned earlier? (Food 4 Less, Ralphs)[/quote]

[quote name='jdeluis']I checked the 2 Ralphs and a Food 4 Less around my area and only found 3 titles. They were Mr. Bean, Talk to Me and Slither. Did not pick up Slither, since i don't enjoy horror movies.[/quote]

:D

There was a post that stated Commerce Township had some, but I have not found any in MI either. Maybe we will get the leftovers...

I hit a Kroger in Sterling Heights, MI looking to score, but alas, still nothing.

Not only do we have to live with a crappy economy, bad weather, and an 0-16 football team, now we get hosed on the HD-DVD's...

Finally found a Blow Out bin at the Ralphs in Granada Hills, CA (Devonshire + Balboa) in the back of the store near the pharmacy.

They still had around 20-30 HDDVDs, lots of the same stuff that I just bought at the Amazon/Closeoutmovies sale (argh!). I picked up Eastern Promises (Wish I hadn't, the disc fell out of the holder and is a bit scuffed on the HD-DVD side, not sure if it'll play and what their return policy will be) and Accepted. I saw Elizabeth:Golden Age (7.99), Miami Vice, Hollywoodland, Hot Fuzz, Children of Men (?), and some assorted others.

The bin was kind of falling apart and lots of movies seem to have fallen in and underneath it but I didn't feel like tearing the bin apart to see what treasures might lie underneath.

Were the playback issues with Children of Men ever addressed? I am debating going back to pick it up (not sure why I put it back, honestly) but it sounds like a lot of players don't like it.

children of men played perfectlyfine in my a2, havent tried the xbox 360 hd player for that movie tho, as far as returns, I had to return 3 of my hd-dvds, cas the fell out in the case and got scratched up and they had no problem replacing them

if any CAG is in the beckly wv area, the kroger across from walmart has all the ones listed as of saturday when i was last there

My local Kroger, Calhoun Georgia, has them now. Sadly I couldn't find anything that I wanted. Animal House was the closest. It was always a favorite while I was in college.

An interesting note is that I was in Albertsons and saw the same exact style of "Blow Out Bin OMG SAVINGS" that the Kroger brand stores have been using. Unfortunately, they did not have any HD-DVDs (or DVDs at all), but seemed to have the same books Kroger was selling in those bins. A small possibility that Albertson's may have DVDs or start rolling them out soon, who knows.

Anyone notice that some of the discs are fucked up even before you open them? I just opened all mine tonight and at least half had scratching on the top (DVD) side and the same goes for the bottom (HD-DVD) side, although not as bad on the bottom.

Is this why some people have a distaste for the combo discs?

[quote name='lolwut?']Anyone notice that some of the discs are fucked up even before you open them? I just opened all mine tonight and at least half had scratching on the top (DVD) side and the same goes for the bottom (HD-DVD) side, although not as bad on the bottom.

Is this why some people have a distaste for the combo discs?[/QUOTE]

Most likely , my Knocked Up from my second '5 free' skips on the HD DVD side , but plays fine on the DVD side . :bomb:

I was hoping it would be a Kroger movie , so I could replace it , seeing how it's a Universal movie like all of the rest .

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Cool, Fry's by my work was running it. Dobson and Ray in Chandler, AZ and the Fry's Marketplace on Rural and Ray. (the normal Fry's across the street on Rural does not have any HDs, so go to the Marketplace across the street)
Snagged Hollywoodland, Mr. Bean, and a bunch of others. Also saw Boomtown and snagged that. They had Malcolm in the Middel season 1, but it was 14.99 so I passed. I hope to find Angels in America. How much is that?[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on the Rural and Ray location. That's my grocery store. Now it wont be so bad going to get groceries with the wife.

[quote name='tysontomko']children of men played perfectlyfine in my a2, havent tried the xbox 360 hd player for that movie tho, as far as returns, I had to return 3 of my hd-dvds, cas the fell out in the case and got scratched up and they had no problem replacing them

if any CAG is in the beckly wv area, the kroger across from walmart has all the ones listed as of saturday when i was last there[/quote]

Children of Men works fine in the Xbox HDDVD add on. I own it.

Picture of the Commerce, MI bin.

IMAG0053.jpg

The bin was about half empty, but there were plenty of HD DVD discs left.

[quote name='fuerstma']Picture of the Commerce, MI bin.

blowoutbin.picture

the bin was about half empty, but there were plenty of HD DVD discs left.[/quote]

I have not seen anything like that here in the Los Angeles area Ralphs or Food 4 Less. That box is hard not to spot. The only way I found any here were in the checkout aisle. Going to have to take a look again.

[quote name='pvtpyle']Thanks for the heads up on the Rural and Ray location. That's my grocery store. Now it wont be so bad going to get groceries with the wife.[/QUOTE]
No problem, if you happened to go into the normal Fry's, let me know if they put a bin out yet. Otherwise, Marketplace across the way has a decent selection, but none of the 3.99 titles AFAIK.

thanks for the pic... finally an idea of what I am looking for... some people found them in the checlout aisle as well, lik ewhat next to the candy bars?

MI represent! I work in Maumee, OH a few days a week, so I hit a few on the journey over the past 2 days. The Brownstown, MI one (didn't find them,) Southgate, MI (about 10 titles left in the bargain bin like the picture,) Secor Rd Toledo (scarce pickings in the bargain bin,) and Airport Hwy Toledo (scarce pickings in a vertical box by candy bars in a checkout lane.) The quest for "American Werewolf in London" and "Animal House" continues.

I guess they're still rolling out the bins. THe Kroger by my house didn't have this a few days ago and today there was a bin. Not many HDDVDs, but I did snag Scorpion King.

finally found a kroger in the cincinnati area that had pretty much every hd-dvd that's been discussed in this thread. it's on springfield pike, in the low 10000's for anyone who is close by.

got hot fuzz, smokin aces, the good sheperd, accepted, land of the dead, and animal house.

I just came from a Kroger near my house; they have a few select titles, and I was able to get Hot Fuzz, Children of Men, Breach, and The Kingdom. This Kroger is on S. Moreland in Atlanta FWIW.

:bouncy::applause::whee:FINALLY!!!:shock:\\:D/:beer:
Kroger's @ 9835 Fall Creek Rd., Indianapolis (79th St & Fall Creek Rd. intersection) has them, all combo disc.

EDIT
: The bin is somewhat hidden within the books, cds & dvd section in the front of the store. If you are facing this section, the bin is on the left closest to the self checkout terminals.

$3.99
Dazed & Confused
Half Baked

$5.99
Jet Li's Fearless (Unrated)
Hot Fuzz
Eastern Promises

More than I should have gotten, but whatever.

Multiple copies of other titles available at that store that I can remember off the top of my head:

Children of Men
Miami Vice
Hollywoodland
The Kingdom
Breach

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']No problem, if you happened to go into the normal Fry's, let me know if they put a bin out yet. Otherwise, Marketplace across the way has a decent selection, but none of the 3.99 titles AFAIK.[/quote]

FYI, I went to the Ray and Rural location today. They had re-stocked or added to the collection. I was there on wednesday and they didn't have much to pick from. This time they had most of the ones previously mentioned. The Hitcher and Dazed and Confused for 3.99 were ones that I looked for earlier in the week and they now had.

bread's done
Back