lcd or plasma?

If you already have 800 bucks, you can get a 42" Panasonic plasma for $599 shipped from usappliance.com. If you go through Bing Cashback you can knock another 10% off. Its 720 but my friend bought this TV about 2 months ago and it has an awesome picture.

Problem with Plasmas is while they are better, the only company that makes them anymore that actually knows how to is Panasonic, and it's much harder to find a good deal on them than a good Sony/Samsung/Sharp LCD.

If you do go plasma, get Panasonic. They're really the only ones that know how to make Plasmas anymore now that Pioneer no longer is.

If your going LCD, Sony/Samsung/Sharp are your best bets.

You really can't go wrong either way.

[quote name='tankass']Am I the only one thinking LED instead? I have an LCD and from what I hear LCD and Plasmas are about the same nowadays, so why not go get the new shit. Get the paper thin screen and save on the low energy cost too.[/QUOTE]

Just depends on your budget. The LED LCDs cost a good deal more than regular LCDs or plasmas.

I'm going to agree with the poster that said it really depends on the set as to which is better. The better LCDs with quicker response times are just as good as the Plasma sets. The black levels and color richness are really panel specific, and not able to be categorized either way.

I personally prefer an LCD out of what's currently available, since there really are no LED DLP sets left on the market, or any LCoS for that matter (which is what I have). Purely on the top end of LCDs being much better than the top end of Plasma. Sure, everyone drools at a properly calibrated Pioneer Kuro - my friend has a 50" that is ISF'd and is stunning, but I think there are better LCDs being produced right now than in the past year. They use less power too...

[quote name='AJRogers']I own both, and I have been able to test each.

I have a 42" Philips LCD, and a 42" Samsung Plasma. Both bought at the same time, about three years ago.

My Plasma does extremely well with retention. HUD's and sports tickers will only stay on the screen for a minute or two at most, no matter how long I have played. The color is a lot deeper, and richer. I love it for HD. This used to be my primary gaming unit but I recently switched over to my LCD to get more use out of my Plasma in the living room.

(If you ever need to fix retention that isn't going away you can google "JScreenFix" and burn the dvd and run it for a few hours.)

My LCD is great for gaming as I don't have to worry about any retention at all. It always goes away on the Plasma, but I'm still anal about it. The picture quality is still amazing, but not as deep as the Plasma. So now, with the LCD moved into my "man loft" as my primary gaming unit, I game without the retention worry. I leave a NCAA ticker on the screen all night and I don't have to worry about running my tv for a minute to scare away the ghost ;) . Another notable factor is that with the LCD in my loft, I don't feel the radiating heat of the power hog plasma in my face!

For movie's and general watching - Plasma
For gaming - LCD

IMO.[/QUOTE]

this post solved my dilemma i wanted to hear from some one that has used both

thanks so much

bread's done
Back