Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
The replies were quick to point out that both games and the DLC are ~16 GB on the eShop and they haven't responded. They're really not batting so hot with the Switch crowd this week.
I was going to just thumbs up the whole decision to do two separate releases... but that lie of an excuse for not combining them (64gb cart not available) soured it. They should have just not said anything about combining them and offered them as separate items. Or offered a special version with two cartridges in the box. Ultimately, this isn't a genre I'm typically interested in, so an easy pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing they meant to say they wouldn't fit on a 16GB cart.
This seems likely and even if you just take the raw e-shop size, it's 15.3 GB not including anything they would need to do to make the image work on a standalone cart and a 16GB cart is really only 14.9 GB of available space. So assuming they meant it wouldn't fit on a 16GB cart, they were being absolutely honest here.

This seems likely and even if you just take the raw e-shop size, it's 15.3 GB not including anything they would need to do to make the image work on a standalone cart and a 16GB cart is really only 14.9 GB of available space. So assuming they meant it wouldn't fit on a 16GB cart, they were being absolutely honest here.
About to say, there's a lot of rounded numbers here. Weird, I was expecting a 32gb cart to exist, not 16 to 64, but I guess Nintendo just wanted a cheaper 64 down the line. Not really interested in Outlast either way, but it looks like it was clarified right under the "callout" post lol

About to say, there's a lot of rounded numbers here. Weird, I was expecting a 32gb cart to exist, not 16 to 64, but I guess Nintendo just wanted a cheaper 64 down the line. Not really interested in Outlast either way, but it looks like it was clarified right under the "callout" post lol
Everything I've read said there is a 32gb card. I guess they are going to do an 8gb card for the one game and then a 16gb card for the other since it's over 8gb on it's own.

It's still odd they say "but it would have required a larger cart than is currently available to us (64GB)". The wording implies 64GB is available to them but that the games would exceed 64GB combined.

Either way, not my genre... but the dance here is strong. Maybe they aren't permitted to use 32gb cards?

Outlast Trinity PS4 was like 10 or 12 bucks on clearance at Target earlier this year.  The first one was a free PS+ game in like the third month of the service's existence on PS4 back in early '14.  These types of releases are meaningless to me.  I honestly don't know who buys this kind of stuff.  I guess it's people who don't watch deals, ones who are still doing LRG complete collections, or people who pay 2-6x to get anything and everything on Nintendo.  It genuinely surprises me that there are enough customers for this sort of thing.

Everything I've read said there is a 32gb card. I guess they are going to do an 8gb card for the one game and then a 16gb card for the other since it's over 8gb on it's own.

It's still odd they say "but it would have required a larger cart than is currently available to us (64GB)". The wording implies 64GB is available to them but that the games would exceed 64GB combined.

Either way, not my genre... but the dance here is strong. Maybe they aren't permitted to use 32gb cards?
You're correct that there is a 32GB cart available to publishers, but my understanding is that it's significantly more expensive than just doing two 16GB carts. The 64GB cart has been delayed until 2019 for publishers.

Outlast Trinity PS4 was like 10 or 12 bucks on clearance at Target earlier this year. The first one was a free PS+ game in like the third month of the service's existence on PS4 back in early '14. These types of releases are meaningless to me. I honestly don't know who buys this kind of stuff. I guess it's people who don't watch deals, ones who are still doing LRG complete collections, or people who pay 2-6x to get anything and everything on Nintendo. It genuinely surprises me that there are enough customers for this sort of thing.
This release may be meaningless to you but there is a certain group of gamers who are also collectors that want physical release games even if they cost significantly more than the digital version. You shouldn't be surprised that a game like Outlast that has sold 15 million units across platforms is something that maybe 10K collectors would want to own physically on a platform that is not just a traditional console, but also a really excellent handheld gaming system.

Outlast Trinity PS4 was like 10 or 12 bucks on clearance at Target earlier this year. The first one was a free PS+ game in like the third month of the service's existence on PS4 back in early '14. These types of releases are meaningless to me. I honestly don't know who buys this kind of stuff. I guess it's people who don't watch deals, ones who are still doing LRG complete collections, or people who pay 2-6x to get anything and everything on Nintendo. It genuinely surprises me that there are enough customers for this sort of thing.
People who think Switch is the second coming of consoles and really want to play their games in a portable way.

Also physical collectors

People who think Switch is the second coming of consoles and really want to play their games in a portable way.

Also physical collectors
That physical part is meaningless when you have to download additional data or games for that matter because they can't fit on a cartridge or the developer is lazy.

I think this is the clarification, right?

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1054767390494507008

If the games are 15.3 GB and ~10% of the game cartridge is unusable, then that still leaves ~13 GB free on a 32 GB card. And 8 GB cards exist, so we know 13 GB of OS/System updates aren't forced onto every cartridge. The numbers just don't add up in their explanations.

I think the most likely case is that a combination of these three items makes it much less profitable to publish the games as a single cart:

• 32 GB carts cost more
  • It takes time/effort to put two games onto one cartridge (reimaging/redevelopment)
  • Selling the trilogy as one package for $55 wouldn't go over well (comparisons to the PS4 trilogy, comparisons to other Switch releases, etc.)
As a result, for both their bottom line and the developer's, they decided to go with two. Which is completely fine if that's the case. I just wish they were more transparent about their reasoning rather than saying "cart sizes don't support it."

Yea, I'm not buying their explanations either. Just be honest and say the 32GB version would not benefit almost anyone, and leave it at that. It really feels like they're digging themselves deeper into a hole at this point.

The only thing I still trust about LRG is that I'll eventually get my shit.

- They are slowing down (false!)

- They are only releasing 1 or sometimes 2 Switch titles/month (false)

- They won't reproduce any of their games (false)

I mean, most people knew the Switch stuff was bullshit right away, especially when they started out saying they were going for high quality exclusive titles and then the first few releases were not exclusive lol.

What game have they reprinted though? They've at least stayed true to this.

I mean, most people knew the Switch stuff was bullshit right away, especially when they started out saying they were going for high quality exclusive titles and then the first few releases were not exclusive lol.

They're likely going to be taking orders for Golf Story, Yooka Laylee, and a currently announced game from BestBuy for retail distribution, I'm guessing that's what he's talking about.

See below.

They're likely going to be taking orders for Golf Story, Yooka Laylee, and a currently announced game from BestBuy for retail distribution, I'm guessing that's what he's talking about.
This. Much of this. It's not likely, it is happening. Josh himself confirmed that a minimum of 3 Switch games are going to Best Buy. Changing the cover art and reprinting a title is still reprinting a title. I gurantee you the code on the cartridge will be the same from the standard LRG website version and the Best Buy version. They would have to resubmit a build to Nintendo to get a different game identification code, or resubmit it from a different region which isn't really possible for a US Best Buy release.

Don't forget when they said games would start coming in at a steady pace. I just got Slim San CE last Thursday. Cosmic Star Heroine I bought May 25th. SMRG was the same day I believe as well. Both are finally supposed to be shipping soon. I bought Late Shift August 10th. Pretty much every game is atleast 3 months out.

Their entire business model has change from day one when they said they'd only sell games they had in hand, they'd use previous sales profits to pay for production, and they couldn't (and wouldn't) do preorders.

Overall, I'm fine with the changes since in most cases it's made purchasing games easier. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to suffer as it means when I want to purchase a game, there's a much higher chance I'll actually get the order in.

As far as them slowing down on releases, I feel for collectors, but this isn't an issue that actually affects me as I'm averaging about 1 game purchase a month (from all stores combined) and so far have only bought 1 game from LRG (Golf Story) this year.

Tomorrow we've got pre-orders for the Outlast Switch releases, and the Dragon Sinker game.

I'm probably going to pass on Outlast. I significantly prefer my horror games on the big screen, and with as much technical proficiency as possible. And I know Outlast and its sequels have been available on other, more beefy systems. I'm fairly certain I have Outlast 1 on my PS4 courtesy of PS+. I passed on Layers of Fear for Switch as well, opting for the PS4 version instead. High-definition horror games are simply titles I would prefer to have on systems other than my Switch. My wallet could use a break, so I'm fine with this.

Dragon Sinker I will probably at least get the Vita version for. As usual, I'll do a little extra research, but I love my classic JRPGs.

Dragon Stinker ;). I can't pay full price for Kemco games....I just can't. They are too mobile oriented and kind of cookie cutter for my tastes.

Outlast 1/2 and Dragon Sinker are up now. Looks like they also added a Outlast 1/2 bundle that includes a slipcover for those so inclined: https://limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-17-18-outlast-outlast-2-preorder?variant=12900832051253

For the PS4, Defender's Quest, Mages of Mystralia, and Layers of Fear are still available from previous weeks.Broken Age and Layers of Fear are still up for open pre-order on the Switch front.

Update on shipping times below. Updates & delays from last update in bold. I notice there's a lot of stuff that says it's "shipping now", but I have yet to see any copies show up for myself and on forums. I'm listing those as October for now, though their Shipping updates page only notes that SMRPG orders are shipping now.

Shipping in October

• Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4/Vita)
  • Saturday Morning RPG (Switch)
  • Kingdoms: New Lands (PS4)
  • Night Trap CE (Switch)
  • Bastion (PS4/Vita)
  • Everspace (PS4)
  • Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds (PS4/Vita)
  • Late Shift (PS4)
  • Gunhouse (PS4/Vita)
  • Salt and Sanctuary (Vita)
  • Magicka 2 (PS4)
  • Kingdom: New Lands Vinyl
  • Another World OST
  • Golf Story Round 1 (Switch)
Shipping Late October/Early November

• Kingdom: New Lands (Switch)
  • Thumper (PS4)
Shipping November

• Thumper (Switch)
  • Oxenfree (Switch)
  • West of Loathing (Switch)
  • Senran Kagura: Bon Apetit (Vita)
  • Phantom Breaker CE (PS4/Vita)
  • Dust (Switch)
  • Yooka Laylee (Switch)
  • Golf Story Round 2 (Switch)
  • GALF (NES)
  • Narcosis (PS4)
  • Furi (Switch)
Shipping December

• Layers of Fear (Switch)
Shipping January

• Broken Age (Switch)
  • Golf Story CE (Switch)
  • Mages of Mystralia (PS4)
  • Outlast: Bundle of Terror (Switch)
  • Outlast 2 (Switch)
  • Outlast 1/2 CE

Shipping Eventually (TBA/no date)

• Salt and Sanctuary PS4 (implied late October/early November)
  • Golf Story Vinyl
  • Defender's Quest OST
  • PixelJunk Monsters 2
  • Another World (PS4/Vita)
  • Layers of Fear (PS4)
  • 8 Bit Anthology (PS4)
  • Dragon's Lair Trilogy (PS4)
  • Defender's Quest (PS4/Vita)
  • Dragon Sinker (PS4/Vita)

Forgot about today’s games. Just the Vita game for me, luckily it’s not selling fast.

There’s no way they even get halfway through that October shipping list with less than a week to go.

I appreciate the effort on making that list Tothoro. :applause: That's so much easier to look through.

I'd imagine much of October is going to get shifted to November.  As it stands, it's getting a bit ridiculous that they have 44 SKU's to ship ... 10 of which (and likely all future SKU's) have no estimated ship date.

I was too busy this morning to do an inventory count.  I may do one Monday morning.

As it stands, Dragon Sinker's first batch on both system are selling well.  From 10:30est to 10:45 each sold 50 copies and have around or just under 150 copies remaining each.  So they should sell out before the second batch.   It's looking better than some of the past sales.   If Dragon Sinker wasn't a Kemco game, I might be somewhat tempted as this looks very classic Dragon Quest.. and that's my favorite RPG series.  But it's Kemco and ever game I've tried to play that they've published has been garbage.

I appreciate the effort on making that list Tothoro. :applause: That's so much easier to look through.
Glad it's helpful, it's easier to update than it was to make the first time. I'll try to figure out the spoiler tag for next time so I don't double the page size, haha!

I'm also skeptical that a lot of the October shipping dates hold unless the warehouse team starts working 24/7. We'll see, though. I'm sure it'll arrive eventually.

The Outlast games aren't really my thing, Layers of Fear is cool but I don't replay walking sims very often, Broken Age is still in my Vita backlog, I passed on all the other Vita games and I still don't own a PS4. So for the first time since January I'm exercising complete restraint on LRG purchases this month. And if I listen closely, I can hear my bank account sighing in relief!

Yeah, I'm getting used to these one Vita releases at a time, as it sucks to pay shipping for one game, but when it's $30 instead of $55, I realize it's probably a better situation to only be getting one game instead of two. LOL I'm for sure enjoying the Vita slow down at this point, as I'm getting an NS title here and there, but nowhere near my Vita purchasing patterns.

I'm interested in the Outlast games, as I had never heard of them until this release, but they look like something I would like, so I plan to grab them up before the deadline ends. The Layers Of Fear also looks like a good title(the $40 price is a stretch for sure), so I'll probably get all 3 in one order, and I'll probably get Outlast 1/2 separately, so I can get 2 reward tickets instead of one(I'm assuming the slipcover gives one right?). I don't really need or care for the slipcover, but I guess f they give 2 tickets for that version, I'll for sure grab it up.

Yeah, I'm getting used to these one Vita releases at a time, as it sucks to pay shipping for one game, but when it's $30 instead of $55, I realize it's probably a better situation to only be getting one game instead of two. LOL I'm for sure enjoying the Vita slow down at this point, as I'm getting an NS title here and there, but nowhere near my Vita purchasing patterns.

I'm interested in the Outlast games, as I had never heard of them until this release, but they look like something I would like, so I plan to grab them up before the deadline ends. The Layers Of Fear also looks like a good title(the $40 price is a stretch for sure), so I'll probably get all 3 in one order, and I'll probably get Outlast 1/2 separately, so I can get 2 reward tickets instead of one(I'm assuming the slipcover gives one right?). I don't really need or care for the slipcover, but I guess f they give 2 tickets for that version, I'll for sure grab it up.
That's a good question regarding the Reward tickets. I assume you will get two but who knows. Another question may be how many trading cards will you get with the slipcover bundle. Again, I would assume you would get two, but my Flinthook/Mercenary Kings CE combo which came in recently only had one trading card (I was expecting two).

So excited to use GCU at BB for Limited Run games :beer:

Plus I don't have to worry about the Loose Rattling Games when I do in store pickup.

Does LRG still use those shitastic mailers?

So excited to use GCU at BB for Limited Run games :beer:

Plus I don't have to worry about the Loose Rattling Games when I do in store pickup.

Does LRG still use those shitastic mailers?
Same here. Now i have to get home and really read that email and figure out what games are actually going to be there..

And is lrg going to announce which games? Or is that uo to BB?
I dont do social media.. so this is the only place (outside of email) that i learn that stuff out.

If its BB... that will be a joke.

Oh.. and your idiots that sent death threats to lrg... enjoy your stay in Hell.
Death threats over a deal with BB..... beyond stupid.

Same here. Now i have to get home and really read that email and figure out what games are actually going to be there..

And is lrg going to announce which games? Or is that uo to BB?
I dont do social media.. so this is the only place (outside of email) that i learn that stuff out.

If its BB... that will be a joke.

Oh.. and your idiots that sent death threats to lrg... enjoy your stay in Hell.
Death threats over a deal with BB..... beyond stupid.
Yooka-Laylee and Golf Story for now, plus one unannounced game.

For anyone that wasn't in the loop, some Nintendo-centric news site broke the news earlier today (based on the tweets that were also posted here) and that's turned into quite the morning for LRG. For anyone that's interested, the email they sent out has a lot of detail about the partnership.

I understand why some people are upset, but people are threatening physical violence against the LRG guys. People are crazy, these are just games at the end of the day.

That's a good question regarding the Reward tickets. I assume you will get two but who knows. Another question may be how many trading cards will you get with the slipcover bundle. Again, I would assume you would get two, but my Flinthook/Mercenary Kings CE combo which came in recently only had one trading card (I was expecting two).
If my memory serves(which it rarely does at this age), past releases like this get one card and one ticket I believe, unless they are individual. I always thought the CE should get two tickets, as they are twice the cost of the standard games, but I guess that never got any traction. LOL

If any one game or a bundle is priced at $24.99 or higher, you get one card/ticket, even if you get 3 games in a CE, I still believe you only get one card/ticket. That's why at the moment, I'm opting for buying them separate, as the sleeve is just that, I would rather get the extra card/ticket, than to get a sleeve that houses both games.

Maybe someone can chime in on this, as I'm sure it was asked on social media, I just don't want to go looking for the answer if I don't have to.

I understand why some people are upset, but people are threatening physical violence against the LRG guys. People are crazy, these are just games at the end of the day.
Wait what? People are threatening LRG just because they are releasing 3 games with BB? Definitely out of the loop on that one. Sad to hear how horrible people can be especially when it comes to something like that.

Wait what? People are threatening LRG just because they are releasing 3 games with BB? Definitely out of the loop on that one. Sad to hear how horrible people can be especially when it comes to something like that.
Sadly, in this day and age, people seem to get upset if the wind changes direction, and then want to blame someone for the fact it happened.

I always said from day one, I was in to LRG for the "physical" and not the "limited". It's great to buy something limited, and then maybe sometime later, have the option to sell said item for a come up so to speak. But I never bought any one game with that in mind, as I just wanted to have a game I own. Something I can loan to a friend, sell, smash(if the game is shit), ect. LOL

Most of the complaints against LRG from the start, was how limited some games where, and that some could not get certain games even if they tried. Now, they are making games open to preorder, which is all the games being offered at BB I believe, so how is this possibly a bad thing? Almost no recent games of the last year have any level of high value on the secondary market, and many variants are even selling at retail, so how or why would LRG selling at BB change anything for anyone at this point?

"Some men you just can't reach" - Warden(Cool Hand Luke)

Guess they need to rebrand as Massive Run Games now?
Why just because of 3 games? Seriously? Whether it’s a joke or not I really don’t envy LRG as they just can’t please anyone it seems. Everyone always complained about the games selling out too fast now that they stay in stock you got people still complaining even stating how much stock is left. Never seen a more unpleasant “fan base” than LRG.

LOL. What the hell difference does it make if LRG partners with Best Buy on a few pre-order games that were available to everyone in any quantity from the start? Now if LRG were issuing reprints of limited quantity games then I could understand some folks being upset. That's far from what is going on in this instance. Good on LRG for building their business from the ground-up and continue to grow. More choices and more availability is just fine with me.

Oh IDC, I just thought it ironic. I've bought one game ever from them and it wasn't worth it to me. If they had games like Salt & Sanctuary available day one when it's released, that would be something but I'm not going to double-dip on games that I otherwise thought would never be anything but digital, months later.

It was open pre orders. Anyone can place an order for whatever quantities they choose. It just happens that Best Buy wanted to be on it and contacted LRG to see if they can also preorder. Hell, there is a chance to paid a bit more for a variant cover

I’m being charged taxes on a order but I thought you were only charged taxes if the company has a physical presence in your state. I’m in Maryland and don’t believe LRG is here.

Man the world seems so crappy on days like today.  That lunatic mailing bombs to people.  Politicians that don't know how to behave.  Massive natural disasters going on year round.  And now death threats to LRG?  People don't have very much social responsibility anymore.  I blame poor parenting.

People are cray cray.  I honestly can't wait until winter is here and there's 1' of snow on the ground.   I'm happy when I can just shut all my blinds, hole up in my house and play awesome video games and watch 4K HDR movies.

I’m being charged taxes on a order but I thought you were only charged taxes if the company has a physical presence in your state. I’m in Maryland and don’t believe LRG is here.
Starting 10/1 select states require taxes on all online purchases, regardless if they have a physical precense in your state.

Starting 10/1 select states require taxes on all online purchases, regardless if they have a physical precense in your state.

Tons of people throwing a fit about LRG games being sold at Best Buy. Pretty sure they were all open pre-orders and none of them will ever be worth much more than what they originally were sold for by LRG. I passed on these but may decide to get Golf Story now if they get them before my GCU expires the middle of next month (they will likely get them in the following week).

Good on LRG for building their business from the ground-up and continue to grow. More choices and more availability is just fine with me.
LRG also reinforced this by saying they could use this partnership to show other developers that their games will reach a wide audience, meaning LRG is able to publish more games. I think the ability for this to happen is great. Plus having a retail outlet that you can get the physical copy if you missed the preorder window is great as well. There have been a few releases that I have played after the preorders, and have enjoyed, and wished I could get a copy. Being able to use GCU on future titles is a huge plus as well if you don't mind missing out on the card and LRG loyal rewards ticket.

Also, according to the email they are giving a discount code for a future release for those that keep the golf story preorder. You can also pay a dollar and get the best buy variant cover. I think both of these are wise business choices, and LRG continues to try their best to be customer friendly and respond to the fan base.

For those who send death threats (or any threats of violence) to a company (or anyone for that matter), stop. It is idiotic, and it changes nothing. (They should also try to understand that smart business decisions will allow the company to continue to exist, and make more of what we want.)

Why just because of 3 games? Seriously? Whether it’s a joke or not I really don’t envy LRG as they just can’t please anyone it seems. Everyone always complained about the games selling out too fast now that they stay in stock you got people still complaining even stating how much stock is left. Never seen a more unpleasant “fan base” than LRG.
You have never been involved in the figure / statue collecting community then. While I buy little to nothing in that community, I do like to check out what cool products release quite often. 90% of the comments trash the sculpters, complain about the tiniest of imperfections or just general things they don't like. Complaints if things are released too early, too late, right on time. Doesn't matter.

Trust me, the limited run games community is tame compared to some other collecting groups out there.

Death threats are extreme for any community though and should never be tolerated. Hopefully those people end up in jail.

bread's done
Back