Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Anyone have opinions on Persona 3 Portable/Reload? I've not played either version yet, but Reload seems to interest me more. It's not an LRG release, but seems like a better version of the same game. Is there a big reason to pick one over?

Anyone have opinions on Persona 3 Portable/Reload? I've not played either version yet, but Reload seems to interest me more. It's not an LRG release, but seems like a better version of the same game. Is there a big reason to pick one over?
Ok, sit back and relax because things get complicated.

Persona 3 Portable was the third version of Persona 3 and the only one on PSP, meaning in order to get it to work on a handheld device, they needed to cut out the anime cutscenes and limit town navigation to a menu, like a visual novel. While in Tartarus however, you still control your character and you see everyone on the battlefield, so only outside the dungeon crawling does it look super-scaled down. Also, the epilogue that was added to Persona 3 in the FES (second) version, The Answer, was cut completely. So, this sounds super inferior, right? Well, the main selling point of Portable was the ability to play as a girl (FeMC), which added in brand new social links with male party members (and also new NPCs), replaced some music with new tracks, and changed the UI color. The FeMC also has different dialogue choices in the story, giving her a very different personality from the original, male MC. Her inclusion has been very popular with fans (myself included) and she has only appeared in Portable. No other versions of Persona 3 have her. And of course, the male MC is still in the game, so you can choose male or female at the start.

Persona 3 Reload is a ground-up remake of the original Persona 3, with some changes based on FES (the ability to directly control your party members and the Aigis social link). Reload is considered the definitive version of the original Persona 3, and I emphasize that because there is no FeMC and no The Answer. The Answer is being added in September through the Expansion Pass, but if you just buy Reload base, The Answer will not be there. So, if you want everything Reload has to offer, you need to get both. Reload also has a brand new English voice cast, but they all do a good job and if you have no nostalgia for the original cast, this change won't matter to you. Other than that, the game looks beautiful and is a great way to experience the series for the first time. Yes, FeMC missing is a blow, but I understand including her probably would have added a lot more time to development. Cutting The Answer just to sell back to you later, however, is really damn shitty. Fatlus gonna Fatlus.

So, to summarize: Portable has inferior graphics and no The Answer, but it's the only way you can play the FeMC route. Reload is hands-down the definitive version of the original, male MC story, but it's also missing The Answer unless you buy it separately and FeMC is gone and most likely won't ever be added. In my opinion, if you've never played Persona 3 before, go with Reload unless you desperately want to play as a girl. Yes, Portable has both gender options, but the new additions to Reload make it just a fantastic JRPG. Plus, playing the male MC before FeMC is highly recommended so you can appreciate the changes to the narrative. The only drawback is that if you do want to play Portable after Reload, it'll probably be pretty tough to go back in time to a much more dated game.

Hope that helped!

Ok, sit back and relax because things get complicated.

Persona 3 Portable was the third version of Persona 3 and the only one on PSP, meaning in order to get it to work on a handheld device, they needed to cut out the anime cutscenes and limit town navigation to a menu, like a visual novel. While in Tartarus however, you still control your character and you see everyone on the battlefield, so only outside the dungeon crawling does it look super-scaled down. Also, the epilogue that was added to Persona 3 in the FES (second) version, The Answer, was cut completely. So, this sounds super inferior, right? Well, the main selling point of Portable was the ability to play as a girl (FeMC), which added in brand new social links with male party members (and also new NPCs), replaced some music with new tracks, and changed the UI color. The FeMC also has different dialogue choices in the story, giving her a very different personality from the original, male MC. Her inclusion has been very popular with fans (myself included) and she has only appeared in Portable. No other versions of Persona 3 have her. And of course, the male MC is still in the game, so you can choose male or female at the start.

Persona 3 Reload is a ground-up remake of the original Persona 3, with some changes based on FES (the ability to directly control your party members and the Aigis social link). Reload is considered the definitive version of the original Persona 3, and I emphasize that because there is no FeMC and no The Answer. The Answer is being added in September through the Expansion Pass, but if you just buy Reload base, The Answer will not be there. So, if you want everything Reload has to offer, you need to get both. Reload also has a brand new English voice cast, but they all do a good job and if you have no nostalgia for the original cast, this change won't matter to you. Other than that, the game looks beautiful and is a great way to experience the series for the first time. Yes, FeMC missing is a blow, but I understand including her probably would have added a lot more time to development. Cutting The Answer just to sell back to you later, however, is really damn shitty. Fatlus gonna Fatlus.

So, to summarize: Portable has inferior graphics and no The Answer, but it's the only way you can play the FeMC route. Reload is hands-down the definitive version of the original, male MC story, but it's also missing The Answer unless you buy it separately and FeMC is gone and most likely won't ever be added. In my opinion, if you've never played Persona 3 before, go with Reload unless you desperately want to play as a girl. Yes, Portable has both gender options, but the new additions to Reload make it just a fantastic JRPG. Plus, playing the male MC before FeMC is highly recommended so you can appreciate the changes to the narrative. The only drawback is that if you do want to play Portable after Reload, it'll probably be pretty tough to go back in time to a much more dated game.

Hope that helped!

Thanks for the detailed answer. I already redeemed the expansion pass for free for Reload thanks to game pass, so I've got that. Both versions seem to be at a similar price despite portable being limited. I also notice the CE for Reload has lots of DLC and it's price keeps going down for the moment.

Reload sounds like the one I want.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I already redeemed the expansion pass for free for Reload thanks to game pass, so I've got that. Both versions seem to be at a similar price despite portable being limited. I also notice the CE for Reload has lots of DLC and it's price keeps going down for the moment.

Reload sounds like the one I want.
Reload is a great choice! I forgot to add that Reload has tons of new content, like brand new ways to hang out with your party members, new Tartarus mechanics, and additional music. As a new player, there's tons of content to enjoy, to say nothing of the joy it gave to returning players like me. It's seriously a blast.

I'll be buying Reload when they put out the "Royal with Cheese" edition that has all the content in the box, as is normal for Atlus.

And when it's $20. As is tradition.
It amazes me that people still buy the first version of Altus games at launch. I mean, people caught on with Ubisoft, but Altus is arguably even worse because there’s always a better version at a cheaper price in the future, at least with Ubi there’s just the inevitable drop to $20.

It amazes me that people still buy the first version of Altus games at launch. I mean, people caught on with Ubisoft, but Altus is arguably even worse because there’s always a better version at a cheaper price in the future, at least with Ubi there’s just the inevitable drop to $20.
I mean these "better versions" tend to come out like 3 years later tbf

Most of us that post here likely have backlogs to last us 10 years. I can wait.
Sure, I'm just saying you're all talking about being amazed as if the rereleases tend to come out the next year or so. But when it takes multiple years, not really gonna fault anyone that's interested that goes for the original.

And while I get they're long games and how someone would prefer that perfect 1st playthrough, some do find value in playing the rerelease and seeing what changed compared to the original.

The older I get the more I'm inclined to just get whatever is available now if I'm going to play it soon or get the current version when it's cheap for the backlog. Like SMT:V hit $20 new at Gamefly, I'm not bothered there's a new version releasing because I'm only in for that cheaper price. When SMT:V Vengeance hits $20->$25, I'll probably grab a copy of it then. I'll still have paid less than retail combined for what it would have cost for a single one of the games... so it all works out. Plus I can sell off and maybe get a little money back on the extra versions if I decide I don't want them (though most of the time I just keep multiple versions if I like something enough).

Apparently, the Xbox version of Alan Wake II requires a download to play, completely defeating the purpose of a physical release. PS5 has the game and one of the DLC's on disc.
Not cool if true. Do you have a link to the source? I can't find anything.

The game is about 85 gb. PS5 uses triple layer 100 gb discs...Xbox is stuck with 50 gb discs. There is just no way to fit it all on disc.
Except and bare with me on this maybe use two discs??? I know it's a novel concept for these companies to consider.

Funny how this is a reverse Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty. Xbox got everything on disc, while PS5 users had to download the dlc.

What the fudge, Remedy. How are you screwing up the release of Alan Wake II this badly. Ugh. Either commit to a full physical release or don't bother. I was going to move a preorder over to Alan Wake II, but I don't think I'm going to bother with it at all anymore.

The game is about 85 gb. PS5 uses triple layer 100 gb discs...Xbox is stuck with 50 gb discs. There is just no way to fit it all on disc.
Sony released a 2-disc complete Horizon 2 physical release -- so there is obviously a way to do it.

Phil Spencer and Xbox have no interest in supporting physical media -- Phil can lie/spin all he wants but he (and Microsoft) are pushing digital because Microsoft has a financial incentive to get the industry to a cloud-based standard. MS is a dominant cloud-based service provider -- it's frankly the only way you can reasonably justify why Microsoft Corp. is okay sinking $80+ billion into an Xbox division that barely turns a profit (and honestly, isn't worth their trouble).

Sony released a 2-disc complete Horizon 2 physical release -- so there is obviously a way to do it.

Phil Spencer and Xbox have no interest in supporting physical media -- Phil can lie/spin all he wants but he (and Microsoft) are pushing digital because Microsoft has a financial incentive to get the industry to a cloud-based standard. MS is a dominant cloud-based service provider -- it's frankly the only way you can reasonably justify why Microsoft Corp. is okay sinking $80+ billion into an Xbox division that barely turns a profit (and honestly, isn't worth their trouble).
What the fuck does Phil Spencer have to do with it? If Larian and CDPR can release big games on multiple discs, Remedy can too, but this sounds like Remedy's being cheap asses.

What the fuck does Phil Spencer have to do with it? If Larian and CDPR can release big games on multiple discs, Remedy can too, but this sounds like Remedy's being cheap asses.

Phil has everything to do with it. Last time I checked Xbox was ALL about something called GamePass - you know, that awesome subscription service that conditions all its customers never to buy physical media.

And you know, last I checked Xbox doesn't seem to bother publishing physical discs of many of its biggest games at release like Hi-Fi Rush and Hellblade 2. And you know, last I checked even WHEN Xbox publishes discs like Starfield and Halo Infinite - the games AREN'T EVEN PLAYABLE OFF THE DISCS.

And guess what all of these decisions have done? Practically nobody buys game discs on Xbox. Its customers (unsurprisingly) have the lowest per console game purchase ratio among all three consoles. They also have the lowest per game engagement levels, too.

So yeah, Phil has a fuck ton to do with other publishers not bothering releasing discs on Xbox. What's the point when such an immaterial number of customers buy those discs on the system?

I've said it here before -- No one has done more to cause the collapse of physical media in video games than Microsoft.

Last edited:
Remedy isn't even committing to all the content being on disc for PS5 yet either, so I'd say this definitely falls more on Remedy.
I think it has more to do with the file size than them trying to be coy. The base game is 82 GB, Night Springs is another 14 GB, the second DLC isn't done yet, PS5 discs hold 100 GB. Given how reluctant they were to do a physical at all I really don't see two discs happening.

I think it has more to do with the file size than them trying to be coy. The base game is 82 GB, Night Springs is another 14 GB, the second DLC isn't done yet, PS5 discs hold 100 GB. Given how reluctant they were to do a physical at all I really don't see two discs happening.
True, and probably, but they could do two PS5 discs too. One with the main game, and one with the DLC and first game.

I remember them claiming at the time that this would save on cost and allow them to price the game less. A whole $10 less. I don't know. I feel like it only hurt their sales, especially around the gift-giving holidays. Maybe they would hope people would buy the game twice. Whatever the reason is, and it might be for cost, but from what they've said about making the production budget back, it didn't help them. Now this not fully physical, physical release, which they made a big announcement for, on top of everything else. The whole thing feels bad.

My Blazing Chrome had a upc hole punch. Feels like the price should be been discounted to reflect the game being imperfect. Especially if they're clearing out old stock.

Damn that sucks. Now that makes me think my copy of Tiny Metal Ultimate is also going to be an issue like that.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

My Blazing Chrome had a upc hole punch. Feels like the price should be been discounted to reflect the game being imperfect. Especially if they're clearing out old stock.
Are you going to try to return it? I can't stand ripped or messed up cover art. I know some people don't care, but it bothers me, especially if I paid full price.

Reload is a great choice! I forgot to add that Reload has tons of new content, like brand new ways to hang out with your party members, new Tartarus mechanics, and additional music. As a new player, there's tons of content to enjoy, to say nothing of the joy it gave to returning players like me. It's seriously a blast.

An update. The Reload CE for Xbox was $80 on the Woot app, so I jumped on that.

An update. The Reload CE for Xbox was $80 on the Woot app, so I jumped on that.
Awesome! $200 was way too much for that, but $80 is a steal. Enjoy!

I'm waiting for the PS5 version to finally start dropping. Damn my collector's OCD preventing me from getting a limited edition for a console I don't have!

I'd be surprised if the platform holders didn't have rules against publishers selling the copies since they're intended for promotional use. Then again, it might be a case where LRG didn't expect people to open them/remove the stickers.

Still waiting on my copy of Tiny Metal Ultimate to ship. I ordered through LRG because it saved a few bucks over ebay and it's going on a shelf so I didn't need it in my hands ASAP. But I think regardless of the outcome here, I'm not going to ever risk buying older games directly from LRG again. I was fine with the wait and the price ... but I'm never going to be good with risking game condition on an order. Which is why I don't order from gamestop.com and would only use them for an exclusive new release and probably as a preorder in store (so I could inspect the condition).

Gamestop is more about getting something cheap in some promo. And expecting it to come disc and cart only. Or the odd monkeys paw like with lost judgement where they send out the case complete with everything instrrs sticker etc but the disc.

And generally the people around here have trade credit and such so they don't pay much if anything out of pocket. like those coupon clipping moms.

Last edited:
As much as I like Balatro I can't see that as a game I'd need to own physically.

To each their own. I don't buy digitally at all so I would have had to skip the game. Now I'm happy I can check it out, even if I'm not a huge fan of card games. I certainly did not expect a physical release, let alone retail, so I'll gladly pick it up for support alone.

As much as I like Balatro I can't see that as a game I'd need to own physically.
I bought the game for Xbox for super cheap (AR) since it was getting talked about a lot and I love it. One of my favorites games of the year.
I will buy a copy for Switch for the included pack of 10 Joker cards but also so everyone can play it at the house.

bread's done
Back