Linksys Wireless-B Game Adapter $53 shipped free at Amazon

Interesting that they advertise the "B" as a Game Adaptor, since a lot of wireless controllers operate on the 900MHz band (see: Wavebird) and experience interference.

802.11B and 802.11G both operate in 2.4GHz.

802.11A operates in the 5GHz band.

There's a Nyko wireless adapter that I think runs in the 900MHz band, but it's not 802.11 wireless, it's RF-style wireless.

One thing about those adapters. They're designed to only support one device via Ethernet, so if you have an XBox and a PS/2, for example, you couldn't add in an Ethernet switch and then the Game Adapter. It might work, but it won't be supported or be guaranteed to work, if it does.

If you have more than one gaming console/TiVo/etc. that you want to hook into a network wirelessly, you need a bridge to do multiple devices.

I actually own the Linksys Wireless-G gaming adapter.

It works pretty well, but there are some things to know first.

1) As someone above pointed out, it's really only designed for one device, and everytime you switch devices (I have all three systems on a System Selector Pro), you have to cycle the power on the adapter to get it to "see" the new system.

-BUT-

I found a way around this. Do not use DHCP for IP addresses. I have assigned static IPs to all my devices (including the adapter itself) and have since been able to switch back and forth to my heart's content without touching the adapter. Also, you have to turn off the function of the adapter that says "Mask IP of Attached Device" or something like this.

2) I have to cycle the power to establish a connection every once in a while, maybe once a week or so. But I think this is pretty common with all wireless stuff, at least in my experience. I'm using a MS MN-700 router.

[quote name='Lord Alfred']I actually own the Linksys Wireless-G gaming adapter.

It works pretty well, but there are some things to know first.

1) As someone above pointed out, it's really only designed for one device, and everytime you switch devices (I have all three systems on a System Selector Pro), you have to cycle the power on the adapter to get it to "see" the new system.

-BUT-

I found a way around this. Do not use DHCP for IP addresses. I have assigned static IPs to all my devices (including the adapter itself) and have since been able to switch back and forth to my heart's content without touching the adapter. Also, you have to turn off the function of the adapter that says "Mask IP of Attached Device" or something like this.

2) I have to cycle the power to establish a connection every once in a while, maybe once a week or so. But I think this is pretty common with all wireless stuff, at least in my experience. I'm using a MS MN-700 router.[/quote]''

I just got the wireless MS base station and game adaptor, but about once a day I have to power cycle my base station to get my internet (wired connection) on my computer to come back on, is there a setting I can change where my internet doesn't go down every 14 hours? Really hurts continous downloads.

Is the computer that drops the connection wired to the Base station or wirelessly connected?

If it's wired. I do not have this problem. There is a firmware upgrade that was made available some time back. You could use the Base Station Management Tool to search for updates and it should find it.

What's the difference between the B and the G? Just speed? If so, cable's only 8Mbps or so anyway.

Although, Amazon reviews for both seem to be quite mixed...

[quote name='mkelehan']What's the difference between the B and the G? Just speed? If so, cable's only 8Mbps or so anyway.

Although, Amazon reviews for both seem to be quite mixed...[/quote]

Yeah as far as I know the G is useless unless if you are going over a dsl/cable line as B already transfers faster than your connection will allow. If you are setting up an in house network it would be better, though I am not sure if its truly necessary. If I am wrong on this let me know.

I was wondering about multiple systems since I just picked up the cube broadband adapter (for some warp pipe mario kart) and would like to eventually set up an xbox and ps2 to my wireless router. So I need this adapter and a system selector/brige? Is this the only/best wireless gaming adapter by the way? And is the pelican system selector the best way to go for multiple systems?

Anybody who makes a "wireless game adapter" such as Linksys or D-Link or whomever, it's just a single-machine wireless bridge. If you can get it to work with more than one device, great news, though it doesn't mean it won't break at another point.

A true wireless bridge will hook more than one device attached via Ethernet to a wireless access point or wireless router, though with some of them, they tend to be crap, like D-Link, who I had a 4 month fight with for them to take their stuff back.

Linksys makes a wireless bridge with an integrated 5-port switch for quite a few bucks (like $150), though it's supposed to work flawlessly. Their normal wireless bridge should work with three devices attached via Ethernet.

[quote name='Lord Alfred']Is the computer that drops the connection wired to the Base station or wirelessly connected?

If it's wired. I do not have this problem. There is a firmware upgrade that was made available some time back. You could use the Base Station Management Tool to search for updates and it should find it.[/quote]

It's a wired connection and I don't have to reset my cable modem, only the base station. It's highly annoying. I had it search for updates and it found one, but it still does not work, and I can not get into the Base Station Management Tool for some reason, it is grayed out because I think the setting is in there somewhere. Help please if anyone knows anything.

Bought this for 46 bucks new off of eBay. Tried for 3 freakin' hours to get it to work with my Belkin Router and had no such luck. Just wasn't worth the hassle to me. Returned it to Wal-Mart for $75.49 though! ;o)

bread's done
Back