Look out SDTV owners, unreadable text is back again

NTolerance

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This time it's Rare's new Banjo Kazooie game.

Addressing complaints that text in the Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts demo was too small for SDTV owners to decipher, developer Rare has admitted that the problem is "simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter."

The amount of blunders here is so astounding it needs a numbered list:

1. This already happened with Dead Rising, how did a big developer like Rare not learn from Capcom's mistake?
2. The game isn't even out yet and they're basically dropping support for it considering this near-showstopper bug
3. I takes all of $100 to buy a small CRT TV and 5 minutes to boot the game and look at the first text box

What's more is that I have an HDTV and the text in Dead Rising still looks too small even in 720p. Just looking at that I know that in 480i it's going to be pretty much unreadable.

But, isn't it well over 50% of people who have an Xbox 360 have it hooked to a SDTV? I could see if this was a small percentage of the market, but if the text is at all important, don't they have to go and fix this? Unless, they just figure it's no big deal, since who cares about the plot anyway.

Rare can bite me. If they're going to be so arrogant, they're not getting my money.

And this is the company that delayed Jet Force Gemini at the last minute to make it less kiddy.

I blame Microsoft. They have truly become lazy when it comes to QA with their games in the past 4 or 5 months. First Castle Crashers, then Fable II, and now Banjo Kazooie.

[quote name='KingBroly']I blame Microsoft. They have truly become lazy when it comes to QA with their games in the past 4 or 5 months. First Castle Crashers, then Fable II, and now Banjo Kazooie.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft? I think you mean the video game industry is getting lazy. Socom and Little Big Planet both came out totally broken as far as the online went. We are really setting a horrible "get it out the door and fix it later" mentality with our games.

I believe Disgaea 3 on PS3 even had unreadable text on an SDTV. There are many next gen games which are made for an HDTV (where SDTV isn't really considered). It just made me pick up an HDTV sooner to be honest (don't regret it).

I wondered if the text in Banjo was going to be unreadable in SD because it was tiny/hard to see already in HD.
[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Microsoft? I think you mean the video game industry is getting lazy. Socom and Little Big Planet both came out totally broken as far as the online went. We are really setting a horrible "get it out the door and fix it later" mentality with our games.[/QUOTE]LBP was fine, just had sever load issues early on that could not be easily tested until the game came out (because you cannot accurately simulate the initial server overload on release). SOCOM was mostly server issues too, but many of its issues have been solved. It's fine if devs plan to patch up their mistakes, but to completely forget about patching is another story (If I had an SDTV still, I'd still be complaining about Dead Rising text, and would probably complain over Disgaea 3 text).

I was able to play Dead Rising without issue on my SDTV. Though I have a nice, high clarity flat tube connected through component. It was still only 20", though. I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not like they didn't warn you before the game ever came out. If it's a problem, you don't have to buy the game. If you really want the game, well then there are plenty of HDTV's to choose from.

However, considering how much you're bitching about Rare, it sounds like you wouldn't want to buy a game from them anyway. So what is the purpose of this thread?

And is there really going to be text in this game that is not spoken? In that case, that's a bigger reason not to buy this game than the SDTV issue. We have moved passed the N64 days, there's no reason you should have to read text anywhere but in Oblivion books on ANY current gen games.

[quote name='Ex~']I was able to play Dead Rising without issue on my SDTV. Though I have a nice, high clarity flat tube connected through component. It was still only 20", though. I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not like they didn't warn you before the game ever came out. If it's a problem, you don't have to buy the game. If you really want the game, well then there are plenty of HDTV's to choose from.

However, considering how much you're bitching about Rare, it sounds like you wouldn't want to buy a game from them anyway. So what is the purpose of this thread?
[/QUOTE]

Only enthusiasts that read sites like CAG or Shacknews are going to know about this problem. Banjo Kazooie has kid appeal, and it's not like the retail box is going to have a warning on it about not being SDTV-compatible.

Your assertion that anyone who wants this game must buy an HDTV is quite absurd. As an earlier poster in this thread said, the percentage of Xbox 360 users playing on an SDTV may well be over 50%.

I type this in front of my bookshelf that has Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo on it. So what is the purpose of your post?

Uh, Rare, you've become completely irrelevant over the past several years. I think you need to stop being so arrogant and lazy or else everyone will continue not to give a shit about you.

Seeing as how I'm getting a either a PS3 or 360 hopefully in the coming months, I have a question. Can someone please tell me how these games look on an SDTV (text/HUD wise):

-Resistance 1/2
-Little Big Planet
-GTA4
-MGS4
-Viva Pinata
-Kameo
-Halo 3

Thanks in advance.

It's not such a big deal considering the type of game, but Guitar Hero World Tour suffers from this as well. There's some floating thing on the menu screen that I can never read, and lot of the "star power" prompts in-game are in a reeeeeeally tiny font for no particular reason.

It's definitely sloppy and annoying.

It was moot for me as I decided early on this generation to not take the next gen plunge (other than the Wii which wasn't HD) until buying an HDTV. So I saved up for that, bought one early last summer then picked up a 360 last fall.

It wasn't for this issue though. I just watch TV and DVDs more than I play games usually, so it made more sense to move from my 27" SDTV to a 50" HDTV before bothering with an next gen console.

[quote name='Yaceka93']Seeing as how I'm getting a either a PS3 or 360 hopefully in the coming months, I have a question. Can someone please tell me how these games look on an SDTV (text/HUD wise):

-Resistance 1/2
-Little Big Planet
-GTA4
-MGS4
-Viva Pinata
-Kameo
-Halo 3

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]I know for sure that Resistance 1, MGS4, Halo 3, and Kameo are perfectly fine for an SDTV. Resistance 2 should be fine since all of Insomniac's games looked fine on an SDTV.

Get a VGA cable and plug it into your LCD monitor, that's what I did as a temporary fix, until I went out and bought a LCD TV.

Playing 'Dead Rising' on my 19" SDTV a few years back was one of the most trying things I've ever done. I had to sit like 4 feet away from the screen and I still ended up squinting (there goes my 20/20 vision eh?)

I don't plan on getting B&K but I hope this problem is publicized enough so that it never happens again.

bread's done
Back