Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Looks like the fourth book (this time by William C. Dietz) has a name now. Mass Effect: Deception is set for a late September/early October release according to a few stores. The Book Depository also has a plot synopsis:

This novel continues the all-new, completely original story begun in the first three MASS EFFECT stories. The heroine, Gillian, was once the subject of horrifying scientific experiments, but now, after her rescue, she is beginning to master her amazing powers. But when she falls under the sway of a radical group who believes their powers make them superior to ordinary humans, she finds herself faced with a choice between her destiny ...and her humanity.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anybody else feeling a little melancholy about this DLC? Like, after this, Mass Effect 2 is officially over. :cry:[/QUOTE]Maybe a little, which is why I was hoping that Arrival would be closer to the ME3 release date. Especially if it leaves us with a huge "WTF?" at the end to lead into ME3.

Guess I'll have to channel my efforts into DA: O, DA: O - A and DA2 once we're done with Arrival.

[quote name='shrike4242']Maybe a little, which is why I was hoping that Arrival would be closer to the ME3 release date. Especially if it leaves us with a huge "WTF?" at the end to lead into ME3. [/QUOTE]
Inb4 Halo 2 ending.

[quote name='Arikado']Looks like the fourth book (this time by William C. Dietz) has a name now. Mass Effect: Deception is set for a late September/early October release according to a few stores. The Book Depository also has a plot synopsis:

[/QUOTE]

Excellent find. I was just thinking about the possibility of a 4th book today when reading up on the Evolution comics.

Moreso than the weird number, it sucks that ME2 didn't warrant the 1750 treatment.

It's a mystery to me that ME2 had so much DLC, but with consistently meager gamerscore. BioWare must know that achievements are a selling point for a lot of gamers-- just look at Dragon Age: Origins. "Another 100 points added to Origins-- must be Tuesday."

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Moreso than the weird number, it sucks that ME2 didn't warrant the 1750 treatment.

It's a mystery to me that ME2 had so much DLC, but with consistently meager gamerscore. BioWare must know that achievements are a selling point for a lot of gamers-- just look at Dragon Age: Origins. Every time I turned on my 360 that game got another 100 points added.[/QUOTE]I think the issue I can see with the sub-1750 gamerscore is that Stolen Memory's achievement count was considered the same as one of the other recruitment missions, so it was 20 gamerscore. Overlord could have had more gamerscore if they had more achievements tied to it, though I think they may have been reaching to find more. LoTSB was a 200 gamerscore DLC, though there were reason for all of them in the 200 points you get.

Arrival not being 200 points also seems a bit odd, though doing it solo might be a little interesting on the higher difficulties, and I think it should have the "Complete Arrival on Hard or Insanity - 50 points" added in there.

I read the preview at Joystiq. Interesting twist on the gameplay, with Shep going solo. I wonder, from a story perspective, how they'll spin that. Also, I'm glad that there is a possibility of Shepard reconnecting with the Alliance....formally or informally...because that rogue cerberus stuff just wasn't his style. Served it's purpose, but didn't seem to fit long term. Just my opinion.

Makes me wonder when he goes solo if he runs into Ashley / Kaidan, since that was hinted at in the teasers we've been reading about Arrival.

I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't be hitting this as a Level 30 character, since we'd assume they've had the main game and three bits of DLC under their belt. I'm pretty sure that doing this as my Vanguard will be a bit of a different experience than as my Adept.

[quote name='shrike4242']I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't be hitting this as a Level 30 character, since we'd assume they've had the main game and three bits of DLC under their belt. I'm pretty sure that doing this as my Vanguard will be a bit of a different experience than as my Adept.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I read how they had a hard time with a level 8 soldier. I thought, at this point, who is going in at a low level? Either way, can't wait to get in there with my level 30 vanguard.

Wouldn't it be great if they raised the level cap with this dlc?

i finished mass effect 1 for the second time last month and kept wanting to start an insanity run through so i can s rank the game, keep forgeting to get around to it but after the arrival i probably will!

[quote name='Spybreak8']The burning takeoff was pretty sweet. When does this go live!?[/QUOTE]

Up now(for me at least), just finished downloading it.

When you go to extras on the Mass Effect 2 page, go to titles a-z tab and it should be right above Overlord. So far that's the only way it's showing up for me. Not on any other tab(top rated, most downloaded and etc.).

[quote name='erehwon']You guys know any ways to get some MS points for cheap?[/QUOTE]
It takes some time, but you can install the Bing search bar and get them for free.

Scheduled my dentist appointment for 9am and my tax appointment for 2pm. Here we go.

Of course, I'm also not seeing it come up on the main screen of the game. I'm not even seeing updated Cerberus Daily News for this week. I'll try downloading it from the Live Marketplace and see.

Edit: Hmmm, not on the dashboard even though there is a placeholder for it. Selecting it takes me to ME2 DLC, but no Arrival. The only place I can find it is on Xbox.com. Makes me worry that something is up with the launch.

Not sure if I should play this after I get off work tonight or save it for a strait run through tomorrow. Hopefully it's available.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Makes me worry that something is up with the launch.[/QUOTE]
I just searched for "Arrival" on Xbox.com this morning and was able to purchase it and add it to my download queue, no problem. Switched on the 360 and the download started right up. I checked out the Arrival forum on Xbox360Achievements.com a little while ago, and at least some people have been able to unlock all the achievements successfully-- the other perennial BioWare DLC issue. So I think all systems are go. Can't wait to play tonight!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So the word online (including Bioware Social Network) is that Arrival is only about an hour or so long.[/QUOTE]

Then I guess I shouldn't have a problem completing this tonight without staying up super late.

Really tempted to grab this now. But must resist as I just finally got back to Dragon Age Awakenings last night and don't want to get distracted again. Need to finish than and the Golems and Witch Hunt DLC before moving on or I'll probably never get around to finishing them!

Awesome piece of content. The major gripe is the length... most people will be able to knock it out in sixty to ninety minutes, I'm guessing. What you do during that short amount of time is amazing, though.

Now, the 8-10 month wait for ME3 gets really painful.

Depends on your play style really. I play on Hardcore for my canon Shepard, aka my first playthrough before I know what to expect. I got about 2 hours on it, died a few times. I'll spoiler some light notes on the achievements after I get back from getting my taxes done.

[quote name='Arikado']Awesome piece of content. The major gripe is the length... most people will be able to knock it out in sixty to ninety minutes, I'm guessing. What you do during that short amount of time is amazing, though.

Now, the 8-10 month wait for ME3 gets really painful.[/QUOTE]I had guessed that length from the file size, since LoTSB is about twice the size and is 2-3 hours of content, plus adding Stasis into the gameplay.

Good to hear it's a great ride for Arrival, if short.

Judging from the end of the DLC,
I'm guessing ME3 opens up with a trial of some sort. Maybe before Shepard is introduced, this is where you could recustomize him/her if you choose to.

Just a couple of random spoilerific thoughts about the DLC:
The act of destroying an entire batarian solar system is absolutely insane, although it had to be done. How will the galaxy view Commander Shepard now? First he/she works with Cerberus, and now, while still technically on a Cerberus vessel, he/she kills over 300,000 batarians for a threat most people either don't know about or pass off as myth. How will Shepard be able to rally any allies when people paint him as a terrorist? The odds were already stacked against him/her, but now, the situation is even worse.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Already finished and posting spoilers? Don't you people have jobs?! Argh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but my shift doesn't start for another hour and a half. :cool:

On another note, here's the cover for Deception:
51lmtDVJBnL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back