Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Anexanhume']I hope so.

I am about halfway through Retribution. I'm liking the story more than the other two I think.[/QUOTE]I'm thinking it might be time to pick up the books and find some scarce time to read them.

[quote name='Arikado']Hah, so do I.
From the events in Retribution, I'm willing to bet Anderson is going to play a fairly significant role in the next game. Him being a squadmate is pushing it, but there's no doubt he's going to be involved in some action. Same with Kahlee Sanders, as well. I'm hoping we finally get to see her in Mass Effect 3.
[/QUOTE]Interesting theory on all of that.

[quote name='pete5883']Damn, which DLC to play first?[/QUOTE]I'd recommend Kasmui, mainly because it gives you the best SMG in the game and her Flash Grenade ability works well against numerous targets such as Harbinger.

[quote name='Arikado']Hah, so do I.
From the events in Retribution, I'm willing to bet Anderson is going to play a fairly significant role in the next game. Him being a squadmate is pushing it, but there's no doubt he's going to be involved in some action. Same with Kahlee Sanders, as well. I'm hoping we finally get to see her in Mass Effect 3.
[/QUOTE]

ME3 ideas based on the books :
I was thinking the same thing when I read in Retribution that he resigned from his post. For a while I feared that they basically "gave" Anderson to Karpyshyn so that he could anchor his books to the game somehow but then make up other characters in Grayson and Kahlee to focus the stories on. But, man, I hope you are right. Hell, if they are going to bring them all in then might as well bring Kai Leng too, he seemed pretty bad-ass in Retribution... maybe he will be the arm for the Illusive Man?

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd recommend Kasmui, mainly because it gives you the best SMG in the game and her Flash Grenade ability works well against numerous targets such as Harbinger.[/QUOTE]
Nah, I've already played all of the ME2 DLC. I can't which new DLC to play first on 9/7, when DA & ME2 DLC will be released.

[quote name='pete5883']Nah, I've already played all of the ME2 DLC. I can't which new DLC to play first on 9/7, when DA & ME2 DLC will be released.[/QUOTE]Oh, in that case, there's always the flip-the-coin method.

Dragon Age
+ It's probably the shorter and easier of the two
+ It will feel good to finish off the game's achievements once and for all
+ My main Warden romanced Morrigan
- Dragon Age DLCs sometimes have bugs, might be safer to give the community a couple days to test it before diving in

Mass Effect
+ ME2 is a better game than Dragon Age
+ My female renegade Shepard romanced Liara
+ Want to know the Shadow Broker's secret identity

I'll probably end up starting with Lair and waiting until I finish that to start Witch Hunt.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Dragon Age
+ It's probably the shorter and easier of the two
+ It will feel good to finish off the game's achievements once and for all
+ My main Warden romanced Morrigan
- Dragon Age DLCs sometimes have bugs, might be safer to give the community a couple days to test it before diving in

Mass Effect
+ ME2 is a better game than Dragon Age
+ My female renegade Shepard romanced Liara
+ Want to know the Shadow Broker's secret identity

I'll probably end up starting with Lair and waiting until I finish that to start Witch Hunt.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age easier and shorter than ME2? I think I played a different game than you did then.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Dragon Age easier and shorter than ME2? I think I played a different game than you did then.[/QUOTE]
I'm just talking about the DLC... Most of Dragon Age's packs have been an hour or less of gameplay. This one for ME2 seems more substantial.

I'm going to start my second playthrough tomorrow using my level 28 character. I'm going to give it a try on insanity with a soldier. Is there any tips I need or is it not that difficult. I was also wondering what's the max level you can achieve in one playthrough. I think I've done all of the sides missions and I can't find anything else left to do.

Just a heads up, the enemies are a lot stronger relative to Shepard in a New Game +. Insanity will be easier if you use a new character or new ME1 import rather than your existing ME2 character. You'll still get the 125% experience bonus and start with a ton of credits and minerals.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Since Mass Effect 2 is my baby and I'm always going to revel in any new accomplishments or accolades it receives, I figured that I'd post IGN's recently released list of Top 25 Xbox 360 Games and celebrate the fact that Mass Effect 2 is #1.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

And last year's #1 was the original Mass Effect. I'm not a huge fan of IGN reviews -- of any sort -- but their top 25 or 100 lists are usually spot on with their #1 choices . For example, Magneto #1 for best comic villains. I couldn't see anything else getting #1 from the this year besides Mass Effect 2. Amazing game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just a heads up, the enemies are a lot stronger relative to Shepard in a New Game +. Insanity will be easier if you use a new character or new ME1 import rather than your existing ME2 character. You'll still get the 125% experience bonus and start with a ton of credits and minerals.[/QUOTE]

I started last night and it didn't seem too bad. I'm sure it'll get a lot harder as I progress in the game but I'll give it a shot with the new game +. If it gets too hard I guess I'll have to go back and clear Mass Effect 1 again and import that character into 2.

I really forgot how much fun this game was. I'm hooked again and will probably be playing this for a while, so having to go back and play the first one wouldn't exactly be the worst thing in the world.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Since Mass Effect 2 is my baby and I'm always going to revel in any new accomplishments or accolades it receives, I figured that I'd post IGN's recently released list of Top 25 Xbox 360 Games and celebrate the fact that Mass Effect 2 is #1.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

I thought that the whole list was pretty good. Their reviews do suck though.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm just talking about the DLC... Most of Dragon Age's packs have been an hour or less of gameplay. This one for ME2 seems more substantial.[/QUOTE]

Leiliana's Song took about 4 hours to beat for me. Yeah the others (don't know about Darkspawn or Golems) are in the 2 hour range.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just a heads up, the enemies are a lot stronger relative to Shepard in a New Game +. Insanity will be easier if you use a new character or new ME1 import rather than your existing ME2 character. You'll still get the 125% experience bonus and start with a ton of credits and minerals.[/QUOTE]

Hmm that makes sense but haha I'd always try to get a better Shepard so I'd always try Insanity with an existing character. Really that is one of the achievements I haven't gotten but I'm in no hurry.

Finished reading Retribution yesterday. Still nothing great, but I did like it more than the 1st two ME books. Seems a little more central to the game plot, and neat to learn a tiny bit more about the Illusive Man.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finished reading Retribution yesterday. Still nothing great, but I did like it more than the 1st two ME books. Seems a little more central to the game plot, and neat to learn a tiny bit more about the Illusive Man.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

I lol'd on the inside when Drew used hamburger to describe gore again. I was waiting for it after its tendency to pop up in the prior books.

Yeah, I was glad to hear earlier in the thread that another author will be writing some ME books.

Drew's books are serviceable as best.

Well I am about level 4 now, with a new engineer for my insanity playthrough. It looks like playing ME2 on Insanity is doable now, died a few times due to mistakes. I grabbed the Locust SMG and boy what a weapon! Damn it I wasn't planning on getting Kasumi but I see what you did there EA/Bioware, having one of the best weapons bundled with the DLC. Thanks Ryuukishi for the info and helpful guide over at trueachievment. I just did Kasumi's mission and now I'm planning picking up the Scientist. Any helpful order. Oh I'm also going to do Zaeed's mission too.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well I am about level 4 now, with a new engineer for my insanity playthrough. It looks like playing ME2 on Insanity is doable now, died a few times due to mistakes. I grabbed the Locust SMG and boy what a weapon! Damn it I wasn't planning on getting Kasumi but I see what you did there EA/Bioware, having one of the best weapons bundled with the DLC. Thanks Ryuukishi for the info and helpful guide over at trueachievment. I just did Kasumi's mission and now I'm planning picking up the Scientist. Any helpful order. Oh I'm also going to do Zaeed's mission too.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you're finding the guide helpful! Mordin is definitely the first character you should recruit after Kasumi and Zaeed. Once you can start applying all of those upgrades, the game becomes a little less of an uphill struggle. After that I would probably go get Grunt because he's extremely useful and his recruitment mission isn't super tough, except for the boss fight at the end (protip: backtracking back into the stairwell after opening the door to Jedore's room will give you more distance against those charging krogan). Grunt is a good character to bring along on Archangel's recruitment, he matches up well against krogan and vorcha.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finished reading Retribution yesterday. Still nothing great, but I did like it more than the 1st two ME books. Seems a little more central to the game plot, and neat to learn a tiny bit more about the Illusive Man.[/QUOTE]

I still think the first was the best... but the last one was painless enough to read. Never understood why the illusive man was
so vulnerable... very out of character compared to the game.

I kind of liked that about how they portrayed him.

The first book was definitely better than the 2nd. I just found it kind of a pointless prequel as it didn't really provide any important new details on the background IMO. 2nd I didn't care for much as it just wasn't really central to the game plot at all--I'm not to interested in getting int to ME books that have little or nothing to do with characters from the game or the main game plots.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm glad you're finding the guide helpful! Mordin is definitely the first character you should recruit after Kasumi and Zaeed. Once you can start applying all of those upgrades, the game becomes a little less of an uphill struggle. After that I would probably go get Grunt because he's extremely useful and his recruitment mission isn't super tough, except for the boss fight at the end (protip: backtracking back into the stairwell after opening the door to Jedore's room will give you more distance against those charging krogan). Grunt is a good character to bring along on Archangel's recruitment, he matches up well against krogan and vorcha.[/QUOTE]

Mordin isn't needed that much if you're an Infiltrator though as you'll have the flame attack to destroy armor already. The only mission I used Mordin on was his loyalty one.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well I am about level 4 now, with a new engineer for my insanity playthrough. It looks like playing ME2 on Insanity is doable now, died a few times due to mistakes. I grabbed the Locust SMG and boy what a weapon! Damn it I wasn't planning on getting Kasumi but I see what you did there EA/Bioware, having one of the best weapons bundled with the DLC. Thanks Ryuukishi for the info and helpful guide over at trueachievment. I just did Kasumi's mission and now I'm planning picking up the Scientist. Any helpful order. Oh I'm also going to do Zaeed's mission too.[/QUOTE]

The $2 DLC pack that just came out (Firepower pack) also has a shotgun, pistol, and assault rifle that are either the best of those class weapons in the game or damn close to it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Mordin isn't needed that much if you're an Infiltrator though as you'll have the flame attack to destroy armor already. The only mission I used Mordin on was his loyalty one.[/QUOTE]
You need him to research upgrades in the lab though. That makes him a lot more valuable than he would be just as a squadmate.

So I have completed my male/paragon and female/renegade (BTW - bitch shepard is really awesome, really like the female voice work)... the last thing I feel like I am missing is the "terrible" Shepard who gets everyone, including himself killed. Has anyone done that? I was curious to know if I should still collect every team member to see their death scene or do some not have one? And any particularities about how to make sure Shepard dies at the end. Appreciate the help.

Dang, just realized the DLC release date is the day after Labor day.

Would have been nice if they could have put it out later this week so we could play it over the long weekend!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Dang, just realized the DLC release date is the day after Labor day.

Would have been nice if they could have put it out later this week so we could play it over the long weekend![/QUOTE]Agreed. Nice DLC over the Labor Day Weekend is a nice thing.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The $2 DLC pack that just came out (Firepower pack) also has a shotgun, pistol, and assault rifle that are either the best of those class weapons in the game or damn close to it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got the Firepower Pack, it's awesome. I'm using the sighted pistol with my engineer to get headshots.:D The only pack I didn't grab was the Aegis one since I already had the Inferno Armor from ordering from Amazon I believe.

I'm trying to build a list or a way to collect my team so it's the easiest encounters and I don't get thrown into a very hard situation (Insanity Playthrough). Like the first Mass Effect going into Noveria where you have to fight off waves of Asari Commandos, along with a boss, first shouldn't be done and I tried it once lol.

So I was thinking now that I have Kasumi I'd grab; Mordin, Zaeed, Grunt, Garrus, & then Jack (I actually died many times not on Insanity on this mission). I heard if you do Jack's loyalty mission first you can keep Miranda loyal as well (need a very high Paragon setting), incidentally I kept both of them loyal my first playthrough and then not on my 2nd. I also want to romance Miranda since I never hooked up with her even after like 4 or 5 playthroughs I think (well being a female in a few helped).

Equalizer Pack is actually worth considering for an Engineer. If I'm not mistaken the Archon Visor is the only armor piece in the game that reduces power cooldowns. Though on Insanity, maxing power damage with the Blood Dragon armor is probably more important.

Here is the order I would recommend doing the first group of recruitments in, and who I would bring in addition to Miranda.

1. Kasumi (plus her loyalty)
2. Zaeed (plus his loyalty)
3. Mordin (bring Zaeed for Inferno Grenade)
4. Grunt (bring Zaeed for sniping)
5. Garrus (bring Grunt for CQC)
6. Jack (bring Garrus for Overload)

If possible, try to have Grunt learn Squad Incendiary Ammo before Horizon, unless you already have Squad Armor Piercing Ammo or Squad Warp Ammo for Shepard. If so, I'd probably recommend bringing Zaeed to Horizon instead of Grunt for his sniper rifle and Inferno Grenade. But Grunt with Squad Incendiary Ammo would be my first choice.

Single best tip I can give you for Horizon is to take out the two Scions in the last area before you start the fight. Don't go down the steps after you bypass the door. You'll be able to see the Scions on the far side of the map but the fight won't trigger if you stay at the top of the steps. One of them can be hit with arced powers so lob Incinerates at him until he dies. The other one is positioned behind the cover in such a way that your arc will always miss, so use the Phalanx until it runs out of ammo then finish him off with the Locust. If you kill the Scions this way, the first wave of husks won't spawn either, and you'll completely bypass the toughest part of the level. After that it's just more Collectors and husks which won't be too much trouble, and the Praetorian who you can just kite around the truck to the left of the entrance so he can't hit you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I got the Umbra Visor when they had free dlc with the dr pepper promo so I'm good. I have the Blood Dragon Armor actually but funny I want to see my face in the game, covered up with a visor isn't that bad. I have one playthrough where I have the assassin hood on all the time too.

I never used Zaeed before but now that he has the new assault and sniper weapons he is a great squad mate to have. I tell yeah Krogan aren't a problem now; Zaeed Inferno Grenades em, I do Inferno to finish off the armor, Miranda does Warp and then I rip the Krogan to shreds using the Locust which has warp ammo!

The new pistol, with the sights, lets me hit all the flame tanks on Vorcha (Boom!/also Inferno on them is fun to watch as well) and get headshot after headshot. Badass

...and the Praetorian who you can just kite around the truck to the left of the entrance so he can't hit you.

Wow this is news to me, I always had a hard time with that damn Praetorian.

I sat here for a few minutes and debated watching the trailer, out of fear of spoilers. Then I realized that I had watched every video they uploaded prior to the release of the game, as well as all the DLC trailers since then, so I figured why stop now?

I'm glad I did watch it now because it definitely has me excited to play it. I had to watch it twice just because of how awesome it was. It looks very action packed and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

To those on the fence about watching it: there's hardly anything that the trailer showed me that I didn't already know about the DLC. I'm not going to sit down and study it scene by scene to see if I can pull out any spoilers, but I definitely do not feel like any of my curiosity was lost nor any of my desire to play this expansion. If anything, watching that trailer was a positive experience and it made me more excited to play it than I previously was.

For those of you who watched the trailer and have read the Redemption comics:
I hope you all noticed a certain someone in the video that was in the comics. Can't think of who I'm talking about? Maybe this will jog your memory:
quicktimeplayer20100901.png

:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mopped the floor with that boring Witch Hunt trailer too. :) Definitely starting with this on 9/7 and saving Dragon Age for later.

Yeah, as for spoilers, it confirms that a couple of characters will appear, but that's about it. Unless you consider things like "what will the level look like" to be a spoiler.

I'm not sure how I feel about their new character model for Liara. I wouldn't say it looks worse, just different, and I'm not sure what was wrong with the way she looked before that they were trying to improve. The new face looks younger I guess, but that seems contradictory to the tougher, less naive Liara in ME2.

I don't think I understand avoiding the trailer. It's like exiting a movie theater when the previews start. I'm avoiding spoilers for this DLC, so I've never read or listened to any of the Liara hidden voice files that people pulled from the PC version.

That said, this is an awesome trailer. Looks much more in depth than previous DLC. Lots of interaction with Shepard and Liara (c'mon, that's not a spoiler), and some other things which reference back to the comic. Looks very intense and more relative to the overall storyline. Sept 7th can't come fast enough.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Yeah, as for spoilers, it confirms that a couple of characters will appear, but that's about it. Unless you consider things like "what will the level look like" to be a spoiler.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's more what I meant. I no there won't be spoilers in a trailer, but if it's a game/DLC etc. that I 100% know I'm buying I tend to avoid videos etc. so everything can be fresh in terms of level design etc.

I don't get pissed off if I see a screen shot etc. or anything. I'd just rather go in fresh since I'm already excited for it and will buy it right away anyway.

Dat trailer. :drool:

Hoping I get to tell Liara to hit the bricks on my main Shepard in this DLC. Need to finish up my Liara-faithful soldier playthrough to see how much different the interactions are.

[quote name='Arikado']Dat trailer. :drool:

Hoping I get to tell Liara to hit the bricks on my main Shepard in this DLC. Need to finish up my Liara-faithful soldier playthrough to see how much different the interactions are.[/QUOTE]I'll take a look at it from home and see how good it is.

You'll have to let me know how the differences are, since my Renegade femShep I'm playing through on ME1 will be loyal to Liara when I bring her over in ME2.

Preview in IGN UK.

Seems to confirm that Liara does join the squad at least temporarily, yet some of the screenshots still show Shepard with two other squadmates. Presumably the DLC comprises multiple missions, some played with Liara and some with two normal squad members?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Dang, just realized the DLC release date is the day after Labor day.

Would have been nice if they could have put it out later this week so we could play it over the long weekend![/QUOTE]

I think they were worried that they would lose sales coming out before PAX and they wanted to avoid Halo so that's why its next week.

bread's done
Back