MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! - "Komplete Edition" coming Feb 28th - see post 970

When you buy the alt in the Krypt you're actually buying the concept art for the alt and viewing that in the Nekropolis is what unlocks the alt. Not sure about the ladder thing, the only one I got from doing Ladder that I remember was Kratos' because his wasn't available in the krypt.

seems there's 2 ways to get alt costumes, beating shao khan w/said character and/or unlocking their alt costume in the krypt. as Cpt_Joel said, yeah...if already unlocked the costume in ladder you just get the alt concept artwork.

[quote name='Kurayami'] Also, I have a reptile code I can trade. I'm looking for a mileena or sub zero code.[/QUOTE]

XBOX or PS3?

Is anyone using the Tekken 6 stick with this? I picked that up back when BB had it for $29.99 and I'm debating on getting MK tomorrow if that stick works okay with it.

the TE Stick pros/con

Pros:
- so far, highly quality stick, good feel and good response
- nice storage for games and extras
- comfortable
- really feels like the arcade MK stick/button layout

Cons:
- headphone jack w/xbox 360 headset causes a low ringing in your ear (could just be my headset or my TE stick)
- headphone jack w/xbox 360 headset somtimes causes other ppl in your XBL party to get slight feedback and echoing
- button layout isn't ideal for characters w/air throws as RB is very small and in the heat of battle you may not hit it in time etc
- doing x-ray attacks causes you to let go of the joystick so you can hit the small LT button which is located above the joystick. Not exactly the best placement for it...I'm getting used to it but I'd prefer to have it closer to other buttons.

Other:
- fortunately you can save some custome button layouts, so if you're playing solo matches (not tag team) you can map the tag button LB as your air throw RB or x-ray attack LT instead.
- SF TE stick works just as well and the button mapping is more flexible imo for tag team and solo play...but of course you can just get used to either stick.

No regrets buying it though, oddly enough I almost want a ciggy burn mark sticker to make it look more authentic.

So I bought A TE edition through Amazon and one through Best Buy.. Best Buy left the DLC code out.. called there customer service line.. and they gave me a full refund haha I was like you're doing what for me? Was going to sell the second one to cover the extra expense of buying the TE but I'm thinking about just leaving one boxed for a collectible.. Fits might nice beside my newly acquired Limited Helghast Edition of Killzone 3 (only 1,000 made and the eyes light up)

[quote name='100xp']
- doing x-ray attacks causes you to let go of the joystick so you can hit the small LT button which is located above the joystick. Not exactly the best placement for it...I'm getting used to it but I'd prefer to have it closer to other buttons.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to use the small LT button for X-Rays. Just use LP+Block+LK.

Once again, if you are using a stick use this set up...

FP BL BP
FK SW BK

With this set up, you can easily hit Throw, Tag and X-Ray.

Throw = FP+FK (both left side buttons)
X-Ray = BL+SW (both middle buttons)
Tag = BP + BK (both right side buttons)

SW = Switch Stance

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Once again, if you are using a stick use this set up...

FP BL BP
FK SW BK

With this set up, you can easily hit Throw, Tag and X-Ray.

Throw = FP+FK (both left side buttons)
X-Ray = BL+SW (both middle buttons)
Tag = BP + BK (both right side buttons)

SW = Switch Stance[/QUOTE]

Works much better than my setup, thanks!

UGH, this last fight in Story Mode is so cheap. I understand he has to hit hard, but isn't the point to notice his pattern and take advantage of it? Nothing like doing that and he STILL blocks it or is invulnerable :roll: Not really challenging as it is cheap

[quote name='100xp']- headphone jack w/xbox 360 headset causes a low ringing in your ear (could just be my headset or my TE stick)
- headphone jack w/xbox 360 headset somtimes causes other ppl in your XBL party to get slight feedback and echoing[/QUOTE]
This is key. I fucking LOVE the stick, but there are definitely issues with using a mic with it. I use a Turtle Beach headset and it was pretty bad - I recorded a voice message and played it back - my voice was too loud/popped a lot and as mentioned there was a faint tone in the background that would not go away, even if I muted the mic. Have to unplug it to get it to stop. Obviously adjusting the mic helped a bit with the volume problem, but I'd still get distortion pops once in a while.

Switched to a standard XBox headset and it improved a bit, but it still has issues. I don't see any way they could fix this short of an exchange program which is really disppointing.

That's good to know about the ladder with the costumes. I guess I'll just unlock the ones I really want & get the rest from ladder.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Hey guys is ermac common online? I've been practicing with him, but if he's common then ill try sektor.. And IF he's common then stryker.[/QUOTE]
If you like the character and he fits your playstyle then pick him/her. Why handicap yourself because a character is popular?

------
So I guess Smoke is going to be top tier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWJ3r-nT0o&feature=youtu.be

[quote name='MtlTom']
So I guess Smoke is going to be top tier?[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Smoke is a beast! Happy to see he's not using other chars moves as well.

Initially I thought the new costume looked pretty bad, but it looks good in motions (particularly the hair).

[quote name='MtlTom']That's good to know about the ladder with the costumes. I guess I'll just unlock the ones I really want & get the rest from ladder.

If you like the character and he fits your playstyle then pick him/her. Why handicap yourself because a character is popular?

------
So I guess Smoke is going to be top tier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWJ3r-nT0o&feature=youtu.be[/QUOTE]

No no, I've never tried other characters. That's why I don't mind switching from ermac.

I just find it satisfying to beat a top tier with a low tier, because its more challanging for low tiers to fight the high tiers.

That's true. And with the ability for the developers to balance the game on the fly without players even knowing, hopefully no characters stay at the top for long.

I'm the same way though, I always gravitate towards the lesser used characters.

I don't think there's a fight stick out there that has a good mic port. Always sounds like shit. 360 wireless headset works wonders when using a stick.

As for the above video of combos.. he's pulling combos off of a nonmoving character.. not blocking or doing anything so yea it's easy to pull off high count combos.. no one in a real match is going to do that though

part of the reason why the headset/mic to stick port blows is the line in to another device that has a line to your console. there's a term for it, something like a ground line interference. this is why wireless controllers + headsets generally are clearer.

(headset/mic) ---> (wired controller) ---> (console) = buzzing
(headset/mic) ---> (wireless controller) --/-> (console) = no buzzing (mostly)

Hey guys how does this MK compair to the ones from the last gen? I really had some fun with Deadly Alliance and Armageddon.

It doesn't play the same as either of them. They took out the whole different "styles" fighting system, which while making it a simpler game to play it also retains the brutality in the Kombos.

The story mode is just as engaging and nice as it was in Deception. It's clear a LOT of production value went into the story for this game. Honestly, while I love this game, it's not as good as Deception, but that's one of my most favorite fighters ever. The roster is really fantastic, too. I'd say buy it

[quote name='CaptainJoel'] Honestly, while I love this game, it's not as good as Deception, but that's one of my most favorite fighters ever.[/QUOTE]

You're trolling here, right?

This is far and away the best MK since Ultimate 3.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']You're trolling here, right?

This is far and away the best MK since Ultimate 3.[/QUOTE]
No, I'm not, Deception is my favorite Mortal Kombat and one of my favorite fighting games EVER. Bought and beat it for 2 systems. And UMK is the only one I haven't played out of all of the Kombats.

i think 10 characters have the ima leave the screen and punch you from behind move (smoke ermac/raiden scorpion sub zero i dont know)

[quote name='eastx']If it has to do with playing a fighting game, you have trouble with it.[/QUOTE]
to do a breaker you have to press forward and RT

couldn't sound any simple! yet after 100 attempts all i do is block/step forward

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='timesplitt']i think 10 characters have the ima leave the screen and punch you from behind move (smoke ermac/raiden scorpion sub zero i dont know)[/QUOTE]

- smoke
- scorpion
- ermac
- sektor
- sheeva
- mileena
- noob
- quan chi
- kung lao

iirc these guys have imma leave the screen attack abilities (vs. i'mma leave the screen but I still need to press a button after to attack you)

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']As for the above video of combos.. he's pulling combos off of a nonmoving character.. not blocking or doing anything so yea it's easy to pull off high count combos.. no one in a real match is going to do that though[/QUOTE]
All it takes is one hit.....

What I think looks so strong about Smoke is he gets a free air throw off of a jump kick which leads to his Smoke Bomb that can hit OTG. Smoke Bomb also leads to a jump kick and air throw or juggle. It looks like he can hit either the jump kick/throw or Smoke Bomb off of a lot of his juggles.

We'll see how he shapes up.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']No, I'm not, Deception is my favorite Mortal Kombat and one of my favorite fighting games EVER. Bought and beat it for 2 systems. And UMK is the only one I haven't played out of all of the Kombats.[/QUOTE]
UMK3 was definitely the pinnacle of the series. I remember how hype that game was when it came out in arcades. You should really do yourself a favor and check it out.

Thinking if I should sell my kitana code for $30....and pray that they will release all the costume+fatalities for $5 per char in the near future.

Can anyone tell me if the Reptile code that amazon emailed also includes fatality or is it separate?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jimbo Slice']You're trolling here, right?

This is far and away the best MK since Ultimate 3.[/QUOTE]

Jimbo I'm not going to argue against your knowledge of MK - but I will say that a lot of my friends are "Street Fighter Lovers" in terms of fighting games, and all of them have said Deception was the best with UMK3 right behind it. The same for my casual friends - though most of them agree with that this Mortal Kombat is as good if not better then Deception.

Keep in mind this is like 20 people. I would imagine they should do a survey after this game is out for awhile and see what people say is the best MK.

Oh, and all my friends hated MK vs DC so either way this game has been a god send for them.

Oh, and I also suck really bad at this game.

[quote name='nas6034']Thinking if I should sell my kitana code for $30....and pray that they will release all the costume+fatalities for $5 per char in the near future.[/QUOTE]
Screw it keep it don't be greedy haha I got three different costumes by preorders.. Scorpion, Reptile, and Sub-Zero.. After playing I kind of want Kitana and Mileena but all of those DLC's will drop in price in a month or so. And you'll pickem up for $5

[quote name='timesplitt']to do a breaker you have to press forward and RT

couldn't sound any simple! yet after 100 attempts all i do is block/step forward[/QUOTE]

You can't accidentally block or step forward while attempting a Kombo Breaker. You know why? The enemy has to be doing a kombo on you in order to attempt a Breaker. Either you will successfully perform it and escape the kombo or you'll fail and their kombo will continue.

[quote name='KaneRobot']This is key. I fucking LOVE the stick, but there are definitely issues with using a mic with it. [/QUOTE]

Like Trakan said, the best thing you can do is use the official Xbox 360 wireless headset. It connects directly to the system and doesn't go through controllers.

So my friend brought over his kopy of MK9 yesterday. And let me tell you this, I'm a big Street Fighter fan, this game was actually fun though. Matter a fact, I'm purchasing this game. Should I wait for the inevitable price drop in 2 months? Nah, once AE comes out my MK kareer will be over.

Fun game, not amazing but fun none the less. Enjoying the X-rays and Fatalities. Also the game plays fine on a normal TE without the MK panel. I'm not a big MK fan so I could care less for the authenticity of the button layout. My only complaint is having a block button, feels so awkward coming from SF.

[quote name='MtlTom']
UMK3 was definitely the pinnacle of the series. I remember how hype that game was when it came out in arcades. You should really do yourself a favor and check it out.[/QUOTE] I will be sure to buy it if it's re-released for PSN/LIVE.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Jimbo I'm not going to argue against your knowledge of MK - but I will say that a lot of my friends are "Street Fighter Lovers" in terms of fighting games, and all of them have said Deception was the best with UMK3 right behind it. The same for my casual friends - though most of them agree with that this Mortal Kombat is as good if not better then Deception.

Keep in mind this is like 20 people. I would imagine they should do a survey after this game is out for awhile and see what people say is the best MK.

Oh, and all my friends hated MK vs DC so either way this game has been a god send for them.

Oh, and I also suck really bad at this game.[/QUOTE] I agree with this point, wholeheartedly. I HATED MK vs. DC.
*high fives*

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
Jimbo I'm not going to argue against your knowledge of MK - but I will say that a lot of my friends are "Street Fighter Lovers" in terms of fighting games, and all of them have said Deception was the best with UMK3 right behind it. The same for my casual friends - though most of them agree with that this Mortal Kombat is as good if not better then Deception.

Oh, and I also suck really bad at this game.
[/QUOTE]

That's weird, because undoubtedly MK2 and UMK3 are considered the pinnacle of the series (and by pretty much EVERY account, the only two good games in the series, MK1 not included).

Deception may be the best 3D one (besides MK9), but really that is like being the winner of The World's Ugliest Dog award. I'm surprised by this.

PS: I don't mean to come off snobby or anything, I really am surprised. Never met anyone that didn't think all those 3D ones sucked.

In terms of the entire series, I'll maintain MK2 was the pinnacle of the early years. Hated the addition of the run button, but MK3/UMK3 was still very good. MK1 I don't even really rank among the others. It still can be fun but it just seems like more of a novelty than a game to me. Weird to think about what would have happened if the original idea for it to be a game starring Van Damme actually happened...for all we know it could have killed the series before it got going. Well, either that or Van Damme would have found a second career as the face of Mortal Kombat.

MK4 is my low point of the franchise (discounting non-main series crap like MK Special Forces, that is). I know they wanted to move forward but I really wish MK4 had been another 2D game.

Once they got to Deadly Alliance I know a lot of people jumped off, but I didn't mind it at all. I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan, I didn't care about the "dial a combo" debate or how shitty people seemed to think the engine was. I had fun with it, my friends had fun with it, and as usual the storyline/atmosphere was light years beyond any other fighting series. Deception was another step in the right direction, not so much with the fighting engine itself but all the extra stuff, and the storyline in that one was even better. Loved the Konquest mode expanding on the mythology. Armageddon was just sort of an MK Trilogy redux to me - not to say I didn't like it, but it was another "CRAM EVERYONE EVER INTO THE GAME!!!" release.

MK vs DC I liked ok, but after the massive roster and metric ton of stuff that was packed into the last few releases, it was too bare-bones to hold my interest for a long time.

I'd honestly put this new one at least tied with MK2 for the top spot. There is a good balance of sizeable roster, extra features, and the fighting system is significantly more fun than the last several games.

MK2 is my personal favorite but UMK3 is considered the best by most of the serious MK players. It's still played at some of the major fighting tournaments.

[quote name='eastx']The enemy has to be doing a kombo on you in order to attempt a Breaker. Either you will successfully perform it and escape the kombo or you'll fail and their kombo will continue.[/QUOTE]
some of my blocks "flashed" pinkish-red. when you normal block you dont get that flash. so something was happening maybe just another form of blocking and failing

Monsta Mack I played all the mks except this new one, and I will say to the order would be umk3, mk2, deception.

The first 2 were perfect fighting games. Deception had the best storyline of the series. Like kanerobot said, the game was an ok fighter with tons of extra content. I had fun with the game and the some of the reveals were excellent. Noob-Saibot being sub zero brother was an excellent twist.

I wish they would have made the havik twist come through. That would have made the story and set up for armageddon even better.

i considered MK vs DCU a DC fighting game that had appearances of MK characters...and for that I liked it (being a comic book fan). I'd only play it again to do achievements but seeing as MK9 has some unreasonable mastery achievements...I won't have any time to play anything else.

I'm sure you know, you have to have your x-ray metere charged enough to perform a breaker as well, otherwise you won't be breakin nuffin.

on a side note: aren't we supposed to get Scarlet as free DLC sometime soon for a limited time?

Hey guys I'm thinking of grabbing a fight stick for playing this game. Just wondering what a good cheap fight stick you guys would recommend for a beginner.

[quote name='bill123']Hey guys I'm thinking of grabbing a fight stick for playing this game. Just wondering what a good cheap fight stick you guys would recommend for a beginner.[/QUOTE]

whatever's on sale or clearance probably. so the tekken bundle sticks maybe? otherwise, from playing a cheap stick might not last very long because a good majority of the special moves are back forward/up down. it might wear out a cheap stick quickly...of course if you're handy you could get a cheap stick and just mod it with sanwa parts or others.

bread's done
Back