Mother 3 (GBA) $15 at Play-Asia - Weekly Special

Are there translations to be had for this anywhere? I am thinking about getting it for my brother, as I know he would enjoy it, but he doesn't know a lick of Japanese, so unless there are translations posted online somewhere, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

[quote name='drfunk85']Are there translations to be had for this anywhere? I am thinking about getting it for my brother, as I know he would enjoy it, but he doesn't know a lick of Japanese, so unless there are translations posted online somewhere, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.[/quote]

there's an ongoing translation project over at mother3.org and starmen.net

[quote name='Scorch']there's an ongoing translation project over at mother3.org and starmen.net[/QUOTE]
but there is no way to apply a patch to a cart. However there are some translation guide on gamefaqs that should be enough.

[quote name='62t']but there is no way to apply a patch to a cart. However there are some translation guide on gamefaqs that should be enough.[/QUOTE]

True. But you can buy it now so that you have the moral, if not legal, justification for obtaining the rom and applying the forthcoming translation patch. Besides, the box looks cool. Stick it in your cubicle/office to certify your geek status :lol:.

Anyway, you can find an English walkthrough at Starmen.net and info on the translation patch at their blog.

[quote name='Bojizzle']Wasn't there supposed to be a DS compilation of all 3?[/quote]

That was a rumor from EGM a while back. They're historically a pretty reliable source for rumors (they correctly called the Mother 1+2 GBA compilation a few years ago). However, a more likely home for an officially translated Mother 3 would probably be the Wii VC. Since Sin and Punishment is on it's way to the English-speaking world, Nintendo seems to be open to translating and selling previously-Japanese language releases on the VC.

Bottom line - if you want to see Earthbound 2, buy the original when it pops up on the VC later this year. Nintendo has said as much. Of course, it could just be a cynical attempt on their part to wring higher sales out of what is at best a niche game. It's too early in the morning for me to be cynical, though.

[quote name='Bojizzle']Wasn't there supposed to be a DS compilation of all 3?[/QUOTE]

Just rumor and speculation, unfortunately. I WISH there was a DS (English) compilation for all 3.

[quote name='Nephilim']friggen Kanji, pretty annoying even if you know a few phrases. Too bad this did not get a EU release.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. What's worse is that I don't think this game sold very well... so it's probably the last one we'll ever see.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. What's worse is that I don't think this game sold very well... so it's probably the last one we'll ever see.[/quote]It did pretty well (#29 on the all-time GBA sales chart, selling about 100k more than the 1+2 compilation), but I'd still be surprised if it was continued.

[quote name='ozzymandd']
However, a more likely home for an officially translated Mother 3 would probably be the Wii VC. Since Sin and Punishment is on it's way to the English-speaking world, Nintendo seems to be open to translating and selling previously-Japanese language releases on the VC.
[/quote]

Mmmmm. Being a GBA game instead of a console game, the chances of this are somewhat slim. Granted, the game looks identical to its SNES predecessor, so here's hoping there's a way they can rework it to run on their SNES emulator.

But I can't imagine Nintendo going through the trouble. That makes their work equivalent to translation + compatibility, and they aren't even willing to do the former.

Bottom line - if you want to see Earthbound 2, buy the original when it pops up on the VC later this year. Nintendo has said as much. Of course, it could just be a cynical attempt on their part to wring higher sales out of what is at best a niche game. It's too early in the morning for me to be cynical, though.

Yes on all accounts.

Is the game worth importing? I do not know any Japanese. I purchased Legend of Stafi 1 & 2 from Play-Asia. I enjoyed those games very much even though I did not understand what what being said in the game it was easy to figure out what to do next but Mother 3 is a RPG.

Huh. I've heard good things about this series, but I'm worried that having to read translations while playing might suck the fun out of it. On the other hand, it's only $15 and I have a printer. :O So I think I'll get it!

Totally ordered it, I loved Earthbound on the SNES and I've heard this game is fantastic... and at that price I can't resist. To bad it wasn't released in America with an English translation though. :cry:

[quote name='ozzymandd']True. But you can buy it now so that you have the moral, if not legal, justification for obtaining the rom and applying the forthcoming translation patch. Besides, the box looks cool. Stick it in your cubicle/office to certify your geek status :lol:.

Anyway, you can find an English walkthrough at Starmen.net and info on the translation patch at their blog.

That was a rumor from EGM a while back. They're historically a pretty reliable source for rumors (they correctly called the Mother 1+2 GBA compilation a few years ago). However, a more likely home for an officially translated Mother 3 would probably be the Wii VC. Since Sin and Punishment is on it's way to the English-speaking world, Nintendo seems to be open to translating and selling previously-Japanese language releases on the VC.

Bottom line - if you want to see Earthbound 2, buy the original when it pops up on the VC later this year. Nintendo has said as much. Of course, it could just be a cynical attempt on their part to wring higher sales out of what is at best a niche game. It's too early in the morning for me to be cynical, though.[/QUOTE]

if there was a bonk 3, beyond shadowgate, dungeon explorer 2, dragon quest 5 and 6, mother 1 and 3 on the Wii, i would bite the bullet and get one.

It is bad enough there is a castlevania chronicles for the psp, that may make me cave and pick up a psp, but if the wii makes mother 3, i would have to start playing video games again. :whistle2:/

edit, it is possible to play a japanese rpg that has no english words(without any FAQ) i did it with final fantasy 5, and Ys V expert, you just have to do some trial and error about what is buy and sell for the weapon merchants, and just look at the expressions of the characters. I only got one third of the way through ff5, it just got weird after the first world.

Ys was an action rpg, i had no idea what was going on, and had no idea it was over until the credits rolled.

I can imagine trying to play earthbound with no words, the storyline would be completely lost, and that is half the fun. It is sort of like how final fantasy vi was a mediocre game in japan, it got an excellent localization for the usa, was totally rewritten, and became an instant classic.

Point is that mother 3 could be played without knowing any japanese, but you probably wont enjoy it much.

[quote name='Nephilim']friggen Kanji, pretty annoying even if you know a few phrases. Too bad this did not get a EU release.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played my copy since I beat it about a year ago, but I'm pretty sure that the whole game is all in kana, just like its predecessors. No kanji required!

[quote name='Strell']Granted, the game looks identical to its SNES predecessor, so here's hoping there's a way they can rework it to run on their SNES emulator.[/QUOTE]
Uh... no? The game looks completely different than to Mother 2, with a much different graphical style and the elimination of the 3/4 view. Not sure what you meant by this, though I completely agree that a translated VC release would be great.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
Uh... no? The game looks completely different than to Mother 2, with a much different graphical style and the elimination of the 3/4 view. Not sure what you meant by this, though I completely agree that a translated VC release would be great.[/QUOTE]

A change from 3/4 overhead -> overhead is a drastic change in your opinion?

Amazing.

No wait you're right. They don't look anything alike at all. I think Mother 3 uses a different shade of green for grass.

My bad.

[quote name='ozzymandd']True. But you can buy it now so that you have the moral, if not legal, justification for obtaining the rom and applying the forthcoming translation patch. Besides, the box looks cool. Stick it in your cubicle/office to certify your geek status :lol:.

Bottom line - if you want to see Earthbound 2, buy the original when it pops up on the VC later this year. Nintendo has said as much. Of course, it could just be a cynical attempt on their part to wring higher sales out of what is at best a niche game. It's too early in the morning for me to be cynical, though.[/quote]For real?! I've been dying to play Sin and Punishment for a very long time, and of course Earthbound is a first day purchase on the VC for me. You, sir, have made my day. Still trying to decide if I should buy Mother 3 in Japanese, though.

[quote name='Strell']No wait you're right. They don't look anything alike at all. I think Mother 3 uses a different shade of green for grass.

My bad.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your concession, I appreciate when people can acknowledge their mistakes.

[quote name='Archon29']For real?! I've been dying to play Sin and Punishment for a very long time, and of course Earthbound is a first day purchase on the VC for me. You, sir, have made my day. Still trying to decide if I should buy Mother 3 in Japanese, though.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Sin & Punishment: Successor to the Earth has been submitted for rating to Australia's gaming board. See: http://kotaku.com/gaming/september-...ng-to-virtual-console-in-australia-297603.php

Releases to non-NA Western regions is a sure tip-off to an eventual NA release.

Edit: And something new-ish about the NA Mother 3 situation - http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/09/earthbounds-lon.html

[quote name='ozzymandd']Yup. Sin & Punishment: Successor to the Earth has been submitted for rating to Australia's gaming board. See: http://kotaku.com/gaming/september-surprise/sin-and-punishment-coming-to-virtual-console-in-australia-297603.php

Releases to non-NA Western regions is a sure tip-off to an eventual NA release.

Edit: And something new-ish about the NA Mother 3 situation - http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/09/earthbounds-lon.html[/quote]First I've heard about it. Thanks for the info. :bouncy:

I think I could consider getting this for $15... Even if I won't understand it. @_@

And Kirin, your sig amuses me. Something about vegetable mutations gets me everytime. :D

Just to make sure, this will be playable on a US bought DS, right? It says region free, but I've never bought any Japanese games, and didn't know if the handheld/console had to some how be altered to be allowed to play them.

bread's done
Back