Need cheap HDTV (LCD or CRT, doesn't matter) for less than $400

RiCeBo1

CAGiversary!
I don't mind size as long as it's at least 23", preferably 26" or 32". Are there any deals like that out there? Or should I wait until Black Friday?

EDIT: I've found this one that I've been checking out for a while. It seems the price dropped quite a lot since the last time I've checked it out. Should I jump on the deal now or wait on it? Anybody know about this TV?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...samsung+slimfit&type=product&id=1172880153821

[quote name='Dro']I wouldn't reccomend one of those samsung slimfit tv's.[/quote]

And why wouldn't you? DO you work for Sony, Phillips, or someone other then Samsung? :bomb:

And to the original poster, if you wait till Black Friday you'll be waiting till November, since that's the term in retail given to the Friday after Thanksgiving.
There are deals EVERY week at stores, so look in ad's and viola!

You're crazy Dro. I've got one of them slimfits, the 30inch and it's magnificent. The only gripe I have with it is the TruSurround Sound gimmick, makes your games sound terrible.

If you can wait for Black Friday, then you might end up with some nice deals. My current TV, a 37" Syntax Olevia, was $699 + shipping on BF, and was $600 off the vendor's normal retail price.

[quote name='klwillis45']IIRC, the early slimfit versions had geometry problems, so maybe thats what your thinking of.[/quote]
Yeah that was it.

But do I really want to fight the crowd to buy a TV? That's the question...

But sorry to mention that I want a TV with at least one HDMI so I can hook it up to my PS3.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']But do I really want to fight the crowd to buy a TV? That's the question...

But sorry to mention that I want a TV with at least one HDMI so I can hook it up to my PS3.[/quote]
That is a good question but in all honesty you can find a good deal all year round.

Think of it like this

September: Football starts and new model's start rolling in you can find a good deal on last years TV's

Nov-Dec: Holiday time Black Friday will be good to you but again do you want to wait or fight crowds the best deals people will line up for hours in advance. But markdowns will be all over the place the closer you get to DEC 25th.

Jan- Feb: NFL playoffs and The super bowl tv's get marked down a lot for 2 reasons
1) Well it's the playoffs and eveyone wants a BIG HDTV for that
2) Returns people buy a TV watch the Super Bowl then return it.

March NCAA Bastketball

Apr- Aug: The prices stay kind of flat but you can find a deal or sales around Memorial Day and the 4th of July. Around the mid to end of Aug is when you will start to see a lot of sales on out going models.

So there will always be a good time to buy one BF will by far be the best day to buy one hands down. But shopping around and negotiating (I did this at BB for my tv so it works) will help you find the right deal.

And before someone says something to the contrary sports especially Football are the driving force behind TV's sales in the US.

Save up money a little longer and buy the 32" Envision from Staples with a 12% off coupon for a total of $440 + tax :)

Its a pretty nice lcd hdtv overall. Pretty nice deal if you ask me.

i work at circuit city home entertainment. if you are looking for a tv definently look at the open box units in the store. You can definently find a great samsung, sony, or panasonic that has been returned because some fool couldnt hook it up right. It happens all the time with really great name brand tvs. All the tvs have 30 days return policy if you dont like em. Just look at the one you want and ask if they any open box. they are definently willing to cut you a deal if you want an open box tv. we are always trying to get rid of them. if you buy some wires or a protection plan or wires or accessories they are def. gonna be more willing to take more off the tv. thats just my opinion. dont waste money on crappy name tvs just get an open box one and ask for a deal on it.

You may want to check out the 27" and 32" Olevias currently priced at $399 and $499 respectively at CC. I don't personally own either, but the Olevias have pretty good reviews considering the price range. Use the 10% off coupon CC currently has going for more savings.

[quote name='freshzen']Save up money a little longer and buy the 32" Envision from Staples with a 12% off coupon for a total of $440 + tax :)

Its a pretty nice lcd hdtv overall. Pretty nice deal if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
What's the coupon and how long is it going for?

[quote name='S_G']You may want to check out the 27" and 32" Olevias currently priced at $399 and $499 respectively at CC. I don't personally own either, but the Olevias have pretty good reviews considering the price range. Use the 10% off coupon CC currently has going for more savings.[/QUOTE]
The 32" Olevia was $580 in store and they wouldn't price match the website @ $500 & give me 10% off at the same time...however if you order online for in store pickup this might work.

That 32" Envision for $440 deal:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146672

[quote name='freshzen']The 32" Olevia was $580 in store and they wouldn't price match the website @ $500 & give me 10% off at the same time...however if you order online for in store pickup this might work.

That 32" Envision for $440 deal:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146672[/quote]

Is this the tv? cause its $800. http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&prodCatType=1&catalogId=10051&productId=184241&cmArea=SC3:CG4:CL142471
Or is it an in store only type thing because if it is im all over it.

Yeah the L32W661 is the model I bought. It was definitely $499.99 in store. I think Tiger Direct has it for the same price even. I thought retail on the TV was $500....that is kinda strange actually.

You're right it is 499.98 in store. I wanted that vizio but I can't wait....im jumping in. wish me luck, thanks.

Ok the envision tv is very pretty when it comes to my 360 in HD but my cable and more importantly my ps2 look pretty blurry. will a component cable fix that?

this tv for the price was well worth it.

[quote name='djago']Ok the envision tv is very pretty when it comes to my 360 in HD but my cable and more importantly my ps2 look pretty blurry. will a component cable fix that?

this tv for the price was well worth it.[/quote]

It may you will have it in progressive scan at that point ( If they output in 480p). It's worth a shot I see PS2 component cables at Game Stop for 7.99 used all the time. And if your Cable box can out put in component give it a shot if not try S video that should clean up some noise. RF and Composite are a last resort if you have other options....

If you're okay with a 27" TV go for it. I paid $475 after tax (8.xx%) for the 32" Envision. The extra 5" is a nice step up + you get a more sleek design.

I just realized most of the time CC's online price is lower than the in store price which means you're $387 figure might be wishful ;)

[quote name='freshzen']If you're okay with a 27" TV go for it. I paid $475 after tax (8.xx%) for the 32" Envision. The extra 5" is a nice step up + you get a more sleek design.

I just realized most of the time CC's online price is lower than the in store price which means you're $387 figure might be wishful ;)[/QUOTE]
Ok, went in there today to buy it but they had it for $400 something, did a price match, tried the $40 off coupon but got denied, asked about the 10% difference, also got denied. Ended up paying $430 after tax and everything...good deal or should I go return it and get the Staples one?

So were you guys able to use the 12% coupon? Seems $40 more for 5" more is a good deal.

EDIT: Also, where is the 10% off coupon for CC that's still active?

I purchased the older model of the black 27 inch olevia last summer and I use it up at college and the thing works great. I got it off of tigerdirect i think and i hook up my pc, 360, old xbox, and ps2. The only thing that is weird is the remote lay out but its survivable.

maybe cag can help me solve this mystery.

if the tv's resolution is 1366x768, how is it possible that it can display 1080i?

I have a 360 and when I set it to 1080i it works and when I check the tv's display it says 1080i but the native resolution is 1366x768. so is it stretching my picture or is there somthing im missing?

Also if the op has not bought yet I still recommend the 32" envision.

[quote name='djago']maybe cag can help me solve this mystery.

if the tv's resolution is 1366x768, how is it possible that it can display 1080i?

I have a 360 and when I set it to 1080i it works and when I check the tv's display it says 1080i but the native resolution is 1366x768. so is it stretching my picture or is there somthing im missing?

[/quote]

Simple. It can handle a 1080i signal but not display it. It just downconverts it.

[quote name='klwillis45']IIRC, the early slimfit versions had geometry problems, so maybe thats what your thinking of.[/QUOTE]

All large CRT's have geometry issues. Many like Sony even have user-adjustments for TILT, etc

I'd sell you my 30" CRT HDTV for $250. It's a Philips and works great. I love it, but the only downside is that it's heavy. Of course, you'd have to be somewhat local (Chicago area).

bread's done
Back