New PS3 console in January?

tragic

CAG Veteran
Has anyone heard about a new PS3 console release come January?

My mom spoke to an electronics employee at Kmart today about the lack of PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS3's available now. The employee said they had a lot of complaints about that, and a new PS3 coming out in January would be able to play PS2 games. My mom is NOT a gamer, but I doubt she misunderstood.

Does this employee's statement have any basis in fact? I haven't been keeping up with the news lately.

Seldom do store employees (especially Kmart employees) have any knowledge of anything. Hell, they aren't even knowledge about the products they currently sell, never mind products that they will have in January.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Seldom do store employees (especially Kmart employees) have any knowledge of anything. Hell, they aren't even knowledge about the products they currently sell, never mind products that they will have in January.[/quote]

Seriously. A new BC PS3 would be massive news, and any leaks of such information would have been reported already. As long as the PS2 systems are still selling decently, you aren't going to see Sony bother bringing back BC in the PS3.

This reminds me of the time I heard a Best Buy employee talk a guy out of buying a PS3 by telling him all about the 360 with a built in blu-ray drive coming out the next month.

Only thing that i have heard of is a new 160 gig ps3 that will be out in the next week or 2.

Sony has said they will not be making their Ps3's bc anymore

I had heard about the 160 and thought that might be what she was refering to, but wanted to make sure. Thanks guys!

Is there still talk of software emulation being worked on? The PS2 may still be hot now, but I will be hoping for downloadable PS2 games in the future.

[quote name='Malik112099']Wow...I'd take the word of a talking pile of shit over a Kmart employee any day when it comes to game consoles.[/quote]

Truth. My first, and currently only, experience attempting to find a game at K-Mart (last year, before Mass Effect was released and when street date had been broken):

Me: Hello, I was calling to see if you've received Mass Effect yet.
Her (ghetto, gangsta-sounding voice): Mass Effect?
Me: Yes, for the Xbox 360.
Her: Mass Effect; is that the GAME, or the SYSTEM?

Honestly I'd just wait for an official announcement. Anything unofficial is usually bad or not that great.

Kmart scares me, it's basically the new Ames. Anyone remember that store?

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Honestly I'd just wait for an official announcement. Anything unofficial is usually bad or not that great.

Kmart scares me, it's basically the new Ames. Anyone remember that store?[/quote]

I remember Ames and Hills. They were good for no questions asked returns, if nothing else, but they sucked for their game selection.

bread's done
Back