Status
Not open for further replies.

freshzen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
http://www.rttnews.com/sp/breakingnews.asp?date=02/16/2008&item=15&vid=0

Toshiba Highly Likely To Withdraw From HD DVD Business, Reports WSJ [TOSBF.PK]

2/16/2008 11:37:58 PM Saturday, Toshiba Corp. (TOSBF.PK) is highly likely to pull out of the HD DVD business early this week, reports Wall Street Journal.

Quoting people familiar with the situation the report said the withdrawal would mark the end of an intense battle over next-generation formats against Sony Corp.(SNE)'s Blu-ray technology.

Ever since Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros decided last month to support Blu-ray exclusively, sales of Blu-ray players and movies started gaining momentum, forcing Toshiba to consider its options.

Recent announcements by major retailers like Best Buy Co. Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) to support Blu-ray helped tip the scale, the report said.

TOSBF.PK closed Friday's regular trading session at $7.20 and SNE at $44.78.

I was reading about this on my Wii this morning, basically Toshiba made an announcement this weekend that they will stop production of HD DVD.

Sorry if you don't like the source I used, I was reading about it on my Wii this morning and just did a google search for the first thing on it I could find. I'm pretty sure they made an official announcement of some sort, that is why there are news reports about it--its not some rumor...although the it was obviously going to happen, just a matter of when. This sounds like it might happen very quickly. I'll buy a ton of HD DVDs if the value of them going further south than already is :)

Cool, glad the ridiculous format war may finally be coming to an end. Although it's total bullshit that all the people with BluRay 1.0 players are gonna get shafted when they start releasing the newer version BluRay discs. I love my PlayStations, but damn am I not suprised Sony had to fuck their customers SOMEHOW with some kind of requiring some bullshit upgrade scheme.

But hell, Microsoft and Nintendo do similar shit with Microsoft's Elite systems, HDMI enabled 360s, and most especially 160GB hard drives. And of course Nintendo and their GBA 1.1s with brighter screens, DS Lites, and so on and on. Planned obsolescence electronics SUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back