Nintendo rips on the PSP

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I guess nintendo is getting a bit fed up with Sony.
Read on...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5888

I used to think video games were all about the gameplay (and I still do)but I noticed a lot of people on these forums always talk about game graphics and only using monster cables to hook up their systems to get the best possible picture. So it would seem that not everyone is all about the gameplay. Although I think the PSP looks pretty sharp it really doesn't offer up anything new in terms of gameplay mechanics. I think the PSP will sell well just on it's sleekness alone. I will probably pick one up down the road when the price comes down. It's just interesting to hear these comments. I think it is cool that Nintendo is trying something new...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. It seems to me though that the gaming industry will always be big enough for both companies to do well. It certainly isn't shrinking.

It always seems funny to me that some people side with certain companies when it comes to video games. I have always just stuck with what works for me. It is obvious that both companies have their strong points. Plus if you really break it down the GC, XBOX, and PS2 really aren't that different. You can get almost all the same games for each system. Yeah Xbox is a little stronger graphically but there isn't much more of a difference (1st party games aside) from system to system. I do have a PS2 and a Gamecube and I just buy the games I like for each system or whatever one I can get the deal on. Works well for me.

It's nice to see Nintendo working on something fresh. It seems weird to bash the PSP though. Being this is Sony's first handheld it would be pretty crazy for them to try something radical like the DS when they don't have the years of handheld expierence such as Nintendo.

What are you guys thinking about this?

well, theyr all independent companies, and they all strive to be the best, its only natural they fight..its like cats and dogs and fish...hehe..fish..:p..but seriously, its a free enterprise and companies will do watever they can to get $$..cus thats the only point, think of it as politics, they are trying to get whoever they can to see theyr company as the best and get them 2 support them, but i see where ur comin from, good point

System wars will always exist as long as there are people who dont have the money to buy or time to play all the systems. so they throw all their support behind one horse and root for it to win the race at the end to justify their investment.

In the end though this isn't so much an attack as it is someone trying to show their product in a better light. Basically all he's saying is "Our product is developed for everyone while there product may not fit you." And yeah it's probably true it's not for everyone but the people it IS for will have no problem droping their cash on it because they know what games to expect. While Nintendo's will only have a portion of their lineup to appeal to the people who would buy the Sony product only.

I want both, but it's a LOT of money... thank goodness for CAG.

[quote name='rebenns']This statement is from the same guy who said "people don't want to play their consoles online".[/quote]

Yeah, and they still stand behind that too. Pretty soon the number of console gamers online will be in the millions and they will all be Xbox and PS2 users. Nintendo missed the boat with online gaming and there's no catching up.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='rebenns']This statement is from the same guy who said "people don't want to play their consoles online".[/quote][/quote]

Didn't he say that people just weren't ready to play their consoles online? Not that they didn't want to?

You have to admit that online gaming is still a relatively new thing. Many families and single adults still have a dial-up modem. I have a broadband connection myself, but I still do not do online gaming (lack of time). Nintendo has always been the company with the most user friendly console. I think they were waiting to release a system with a more heavily promoted online gaming feature until when there would be a larger population of families with a high speed connection.

I found interesting the comment about how gamers feel alienated because gaming is becoming more complicated. I haven't spent any time really with the DS, but doesn't it make things more complicated. The touch screen would seem to. I could be wrong though. Anyone?

[quote name='MadFlava'][quote name='rebenns']This statement is from the same guy who said "people don't want to play their consoles online".[/quote]

Yeah, and they still stand behind that too. Pretty soon the number of console gamers online will be in the millions and they will all be Xbox and PS2 users. Nintendo missed the boat with online gaming and there's no catching up.[/quote]

Except for one small point; it's not about the number of customers, it's about profitability. Other than EQ and FFXI, how does Sony make a dime from people playing PS2 online? Is Xbox Live showing a profit, or are they spending what they make on server maintenance, cheat detection, etc?

Nintendo isn't dogmatically dismissing online play, they're just waiting until it can turn a profit for them.

[quote name='rebenns']This statement is from the same guy who said "people don't want to play their consoles online".[/quote]

Xox live is still has an incredibly small number of users compared to the number of Xbox owners, and the numbers are probably similar for ths PS2 so his statement is pretty close to being accurate.

Miyamoto already said Nintendo would be going online shortly in his latest interview, so I expect that Revolution will begin Nintendo's venture into the online market (instead of just looking into the market)

[quote name='dratsacras'][quote name='MadFlava'][quote name='rebenns']This statement is from the same guy who said "people don't want to play their consoles online".[/quote]

Yeah, and they still stand behind that too. Pretty soon the number of console gamers online will be in the millions and they will all be Xbox and PS2 users. Nintendo missed the boat with online gaming and there's no catching up.[/quote]

Except for one small point; it's not about the number of customers, it's about profitability. Other than EQ and FFXI, how does Sony make a dime from people playing PS2 online? Is Xbox Live showing a profit, or are they spending what they make on server maintenance, cheat detection, etc?

Nintendo isn't dogmatically dismissing online play, they're just waiting until it can turn a profit for them.[/quote]

I agree but Sony and Microsoft are jumping out to a huge and probably insurmountable lead in this area. When it does become profitable who are you going to go to - the company just entering the market or the ones that are experienced and have worked out most of the bugs ahead of time?

[quote name='javeryh']I agree but Sony and Microsoft are jumping out to a huge and probably insurmountable lead in this area. When it does become profitable who are you going to go to - the company just entering the market or the ones that are experienced and have worked out most of the bugs ahead of time?[/quote]

Nintendo isn't exactly green when it comes to online and consoles. The Famicom had a modem all the way back in the '80s. Of course the application was a little different, but the framework is there.

But to your point: I don't see how X number of people online with Live and Y people online with PS2 has anything to do with the NEXT generation of consoles. Sony has online as a thing you CAN do, like the eyetoy or a lightgun. M$ has Xbox Live as a revenue stream but it's more of a trickle. That's not any kind of lead, at least not an insurmountable one. The next Nintendo console has to compete with PS3 and Xbox 2, not the current crop of machines, so basically the race starts all over again. At that point, what matters is who makes online FUN, not who had online 2 years ago.

It's inevitable that the move to online gaming to going to happen in the next generation of consoles. If a game doesn't have an online component people feel that it's a weak effort. Just look at how everyone reacted when GT4 dropped it's online component. Broadband is spreading everywhere and it's going to be affordable and everyone's household eventually. The number of gamers using their console's for gaming is increasing rapidly and they are going to stick with the brands they know work online Xbox and Playstation. Nintendo has no online history that the current crop of gamers are familiar with.

To put is simply, a major success in an Online game like EQ or FFonline is still a failure in Console terms.

ie. If FF11 sees 600,000 customers thats a big ass number, if FF12 sees 600,000 it's a pathetic failure.

And this is a game that can be played without even owning a PS2 or a Broadband connection. Granted it's a game with a monthly fee but it still shows people are slow to accept the ways of internet gaming as a standard. Playing online is fun but not everyone can be bothered with it as long as they have decent singleplayer and a few extra controllers whenfriends stop by.

[quote name='dratsacras'][quote name='javeryh']I agree but Sony and Microsoft are jumping out to a huge and probably insurmountable lead in this area. When it does become profitable who are you going to go to - the company just entering the market or the ones that are experienced and have worked out most of the bugs ahead of time?[/quote]

Nintendo isn't exactly green when it comes to online and consoles. The Famicom had a modem all the way back in the '80s. Of course the application was a little different, but the framework is there.[/quote]

The famicom modem is a joke by todays standards. They used to make playing cards back in the 1800s but I don't think that prior experience is going to help them if they want to go up against Hoyle today.

[quote name='dratsacras']But to your point: I don't see how X number of people online with Live and Y people online with PS2 has anything to do with the NEXT generation of consoles. Sony has online as a thing you CAN do, like the eyetoy or a lightgun. M$ has Xbox Live as a revenue stream but it's more of a trickle. That's not any kind of lead, at least not an insurmountable one. The next Nintendo console has to compete with PS3 and Xbox 2, not the current crop of machines, so basically the race starts all over again. At that point, what matters is who makes online FUN, not who had online 2 years ago.[/quote]

It has everything to do with the next generation. Do you think Microsoft is going to abandon Xbox Live once the Xbox2 comes out? They will just builsd on the existing framework that they already have in place. The online technology is going to be the same. Also, the lead I was talking about has nothing to do with revenue - it has to do with funtionality. Profit does not equal success in the eyes of the consumer. I could care less whether Nintendo makes a killing next generation by going online - if it is inferior to what the competition offers I will not be signing on...

[quote name='MadFlava']The number of gamers using their console's for gaming is increasing rapidly and they are going to stick with the brands they know work online Xbox and Playstation. Nintendo has no online history that the current crop of gamers are familiar with.[/quote]

Isn't that kind of the same thing people said a few years ago?

"Microsoft is making a console? They don't know anything about video games, nobody will buy it." "Sony is making a console?" etc.

Ah, but Nintendo cares. You can sign up for whatever service you like, and you can argue for hours about which service is better; however, in the end, if one is profitable and one is not, it would be like arguing VHS versus Betamax. Success is not determined by the opinions of the market. It's determined by the ability to make a profit.

I think it is a smart move to hold off on the online gaming until they can turn a profit.

Didn't nintendo make an online play for every console system they made...I just read an article aobut it the other day, the famicon/nes, the super nintendo and the n64...maybe they felt they wasted money on something before and people weren't ready for it...I think that 10% though is good numbers for online play in this generation..xbox live will probably, no facts here, but be up over 2million, and their is a tad under 16 million units sold, so they are looking at over 10% of their installed customer base with online play...with broadband coming down in price, and becoming widely available, you will see the % of console owners online increase, and listening to nintendo fans defend the decision of not going online as a smart business thought, aren't you the same ones clamoring over the wifi of the ds

DS wifi is free (assuming you're in a free hotspot or just playing wireless multiplayer), broadband is not free.

Also: Money generated by users must be greater thanthe amount of money you spend on setting up a service for those users to equal Profit. If you arnt making a profit from a product then why be in buisness at all?

Isn't that kind of the same thing people said a few years ago?

On top of that, who's to say that Nintendo hasn't worked out some of the kinks that plagued early on line gaming? I'm sure there will be bugs but they'll eventually carve out their niche and there will be advocates (and opponents) to it's version of on line gaming.

Another note, I read an article I think in our local paper, that Nintendo has changed over the past couple of years. One major thing that stuck out in my mind was that the article said that Nintendo is now going after the competition by slamming them. They specifically made it clear that they heavily criticized the PSP for battery life and the use of the disk system (reliability) publically. Maybe old news but I thought it was interesting.

[quote name='fanskad']Ah, but Nintendo cares. You can sign up for whatever service you like, and you can argue for hours about which service is better; however, in the end, if one is profitable and one is not, it would be like arguing VHS versus Betamax. Success is not determined by the opinions of the market. It's determined by the ability to make a profit.[/quote]

In theory this is definitely true but in practice, Microsoft is losing tons of money on each Xbox it sells (and probably on Xbox Live too with the maintenance fees and whatnot) and they are not showing any signs of slowing down because they can absorb the losses. Kind of like how a crack dealer will give you the first hit for free... or something. Nintendo can't, unfortunately. This is why I think Microsoft has a HUGE lead in terms of making a success out of online gaming right now. When the profit model s figured out (doesn't matter who does it) then you are only going to have the service/product to differentiate between which one you want to spend your money on. Microsoft will most likely be in the position of having a more desireable network based on this generation's "trial run"...

given how poorly made the launch versions of the ps2 and ps1 i will wait a few years before getting a psp. I got a DS, dunno if i will keep it, i may just sell it now and get another one when they are under $100

Why does everyone complain about the SP coming out a year after the GBA? The GBA was great but it was WAY too dark. Nintendo did what they said for years and years that they would do. They would include a light when it worked best without comprimising battery life. Obviously the afterburner had a big affect on Nintendo putting out the SP. I was happy they put it out when they did.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I am waiting for DS SP.[/quote]

So, you want a folding DS that has a lit screen? It might happen sooner than you think ;)

[quote name='bob330i']Another note, I read an article I think in our local paper, that Nintendo has changed over the past couple of years. One major thing that stuck out in my mind was that the article said that Nintendo is now going after the competition by slamming them. They specifically made it clear that they heavily criticized the PSP for battery life and the use of the disk system (reliability) publically. Maybe old news but I thought it was interesting.[/quote]

Well, the head of Nintendo of Japan until a couple years ago (Yamauchi) was famous for being extremely loud and brash and always getting his way, the new head (Iwata) seems to be a little calmer then Yamauchi but still pretty loud. I think the past couple years Nintendo has been changing direction due to Reggie Fils-Aime. He has been trying to give Nintendo some balls and it really seems like he might have a huge effect on Nintendo finally pulling out of the "Kiddie" image that mainstream media labels it.

[quote name='jkam']Why does everyone complain about the SP coming out a year after the GBA? The GBA was great but it was WAY too dark. Nintendo did what they said for years and years that they would do. They would include a light when it worked best without comprimising battery life. Obviously the afterburner had a big affect on Nintendo putting out the SP. I was happy they put it out when they did.[/quote]

No, the complaint is that the SP was released so late in the game.

[quote name='jkam']Why does everyone complain about the SP coming out a year after the GBA? The GBA was great but it was WAY too dark. Nintendo did what they said for years and years that they would do. They would include a light when it worked best without comprimising battery life. Obviously the afterburner had a big affect on Nintendo putting out the SP. I was happy they put it out when they did.[/quote]

my complaint is that they release a new GB every 18 months.

Rumor mill is that Nintendo will be making some big announcements about the DS in March when the PSP releases. I would be suprised if it is anything but online gaming.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='jkam']Why does everyone complain about the SP coming out a year after the GBA? The GBA was great but it was WAY too dark. Nintendo did what they said for years and years that they would do. They would include a light when it worked best without comprimising battery life. Obviously the afterburner had a big affect on Nintendo putting out the SP. I was happy they put it out when they did.[/quote]

my complaint is that they release a new GB every 18 months.[/quote]

Doesn't seem like to big of a deal...they were all backward compatible.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='jkam']Why does everyone complain about the SP coming out a year after the GBA? The GBA was great but it was WAY too dark. Nintendo did what they said for years and years that they would do. They would include a light when it worked best without comprimising battery life. Obviously the afterburner had a big affect on Nintendo putting out the SP. I was happy they put it out when they did.[/quote]

No, the complaint is that the SP was released so late in the game.[/quote]

Late in what game?

I guess really the SP should have just been the first and only GBA.

[quote name='ryanbph']Didn't nintendo make an online play for every console system they made...I just read an article aobut it the other day, the famicon/nes, the super nintendo and the n64...maybe they felt they wasted money on something before and people weren't ready for it...I think that 10% though is good numbers for online play in this generation..xbox live will probably, no facts here, but be up over 2million, and their is a tad under 16 million units sold, so they are looking at over 10% of their installed customer base with online play...with broadband coming down in price, and becoming widely available, you will see the % of console owners online increase, and listening to nintendo fans defend the decision of not going online as a smart business thought, aren't you the same ones clamoring over the wifi of the ds[/quote]

Actually the online play was done by homebrewed developers of those systems. If you're able to get your hands on one of the nintendo emulators, you'll see that it has online play integrated (mario kart, anyone?) but it was done by the emu devs not by nintendo. Although, there could be some merit to your argument since nintendo has had a tendency to include ports in their systems that they eventually end up never using but leave it there 'just in case'.

[quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='ryanbph']Didn't nintendo make an online play for every console system they made...I just read an article aobut it the other day, the famicon/nes, the super nintendo and the n64...maybe they felt they wasted money on something before and people weren't ready for it...I think that 10% though is good numbers for online play in this generation..xbox live will probably, no facts here, but be up over 2million, and their is a tad under 16 million units sold, so they are looking at over 10% of their installed customer base with online play...with broadband coming down in price, and becoming widely available, you will see the % of console owners online increase, and listening to nintendo fans defend the decision of not going online as a smart business thought, aren't you the same ones clamoring over the wifi of the ds[/quote]

Actually the online play was done by homebrewed developers of those systems. If you're able to get your hands on one of the nintendo emulators, you'll see that it has online play integrated (mario kart, anyone?) but it was done by the emu devs not by nintendo. Although, there could be some merit to your argument since nintendo has had a tendency to include ports in their systems that they eventually end up never using but leave it there 'just in case'.[/quote]

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=258

[quote name='kyven'][quote name='jaykrue'][quote name='ryanbph']Didn't nintendo make an online play for every console system they made...I just read an article aobut it the other day, the famicon/nes, the super nintendo and the n64...maybe they felt they wasted money on something before and people weren't ready for it...I think that 10% though is good numbers for online play in this generation..xbox live will probably, no facts here, but be up over 2million, and their is a tad under 16 million units sold, so they are looking at over 10% of their installed customer base with online play...with broadband coming down in price, and becoming widely available, you will see the % of console owners online increase, and listening to nintendo fans defend the decision of not going online as a smart business thought, aren't you the same ones clamoring over the wifi of the ds[/quote]

Actually the online play was done by homebrewed developers of those systems. If you're able to get your hands on one of the nintendo emulators, you'll see that it has online play integrated (mario kart, anyone?) but it was done by the emu devs not by nintendo. Although, there could be some merit to your argument since nintendo has had a tendency to include ports in their systems that they eventually end up never using but leave it there 'just in case'.[/quote]

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=258[/quote]

I stand corrected. :oops:

Nintendo as a company is so far out of it I'm not sure if they can make it much longer.

"PSP has been created with the assumption that the golden success formula is still working. We don't believe that."

They don't believe that, like they don't believe online gaming is big. Nintendo has lost there minds. Their formula hasn't been working for years otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be in the place they have now.

If the PSP is a secess and I hope it is, Nintendo has little time to do anything before they are doomed.

[quote name='dratsacras'][quote name='MadFlava'][quote name='rebenns']This statement is from the same guy who said "people don't want to play their consoles online".[/quote]

Nintendo isn't dogmatically dismissing online play, they're just waiting until it can turn a profit for them.[/quote]

Sony makes money off of sales of the NA, which is essential for online play, and HDD, which is needed for FFXI, so they do make money off of people playing online. Though with the PStwo coming with it built right into the system, it's becoming less necessary. Microsoft sells Xbox live kits and such to give you all you need to enjoy online play.

[quote name='David85']Nintendo as a company is so far out of it I'm not sure if they can make it much longer.

"PSP has been created with the assumption that the golden success formula is still working. We don't believe that."

They don't believe that, like they don't believe online gaming is big. Nintendo has lost there minds. Their formula hasn't been working for years otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be in the place they have now.

If the PSP is a secess and I hope it is, Nintendo has little time to do anything before they are doomed.[/quote]

Man you are crazy. If you take MS's and Sony's games division, they don't compare to Nintendo. If the PSP is somehow a huge a success and pushes the GB/DS off of the market, and Nintendo's next 2 or 3 consoles bomb... then they would likely have little time to do anything - but that is not the case.
Nintendo as company is doing what is right for business. Obviously, you should stick to cheap ass gaming.
They do know online gaming is the FUTURE. It is not really 'big'. They do have the adapters, but developers think just like you sometimes.

The golden success formula is to have it all shiny and new, unfortunately the UMD isn't going anywhere.
PS was huge with developers and players alike because of use of the CD.
PS2 was huge because of the DVD drive.
What does PSP have? The UMD? Give me a break.

That is the formula that Nintendo thinks will not work. I'd have to agree.

And for those of you that think that what Sony and Microsoft are doing this generation for online gaming is paving the way, you won't be saying that when you have to pay fees to use their service while Nintendo's is free.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='jkam']Why does everyone complain about the SP coming out a year after the GBA? The GBA was great but it was WAY too dark. Nintendo did what they said for years and years that they would do. They would include a light when it worked best without comprimising battery life. Obviously the afterburner had a big affect on Nintendo putting out the SP. I was happy they put it out when they did.[/quote]

my complaint is that they release a new GB every 18 months.[/quote]

Every three years by my count. Been 18 years since original GameBoy came out. There have been 6 "versions" (including the SP and the DS... even though DS technically isn't a GameBoy) divide and get 3 years a GameBoy.

Onto online console gaming. Yes it is awesome, but really... only a VERY small percentage use it. I would make the comparison to HDTV even. Yeah, its supposedly on the horizon and the "next big thing". And sure its available and awesome, but prices and ease of set-up and use just haven''t allowed it to go beyond the "hardcore". I have Xbox-live and I think its amazing, I just don't think that its necessary in this generation. Besides, the DS is the testing ground. Apprently, in that Famitsu interview Miyamoto said it would be sooner than everybody thought, and also they they were working closely with Square-Enix. I would assume all this would come out RIGHT around March 31st.... hmmmm...

They're just using Sony's platform to clarify their own. It's like how you have all these action movies in the summer and then a studiou releases a comedy or something for people who are tired of all the explosions and want to see something different.

[quote name='PsyKyX']

The golden success formula is to have it all shiny and new, unfortunately the UMD isn't going anywhere.
PS was huge with developers and players alike because of use of the CD.
PS2 was huge because of the DVD drive.
What does PSP have? The UMD? Give me a break.

That is the formula that Nintendo thinks will not work. I'd have to agree.

And for those of you that think that what Sony and Microsoft are doing this generation for online gaming is paving the way, you won't be saying that when you have to pay fees to use their service while Nintendo's is free.[/quote]

PS1 was successful because of the CD. PS2 was not huge because of the DVD. Most people that bought one was because of the huge success of the PS1. Not that many people use it as their primary DVD player. And it isn't the only console that had DVD. As for PSP, what else would they use besides UMD? It would be hard to have a portable play regular size DVD/CD's. UMD's are a step ahead of nintendo's catridges. The catridges are working fine for now, but later on, nintendo will probably have to change to CD type format similar to the UMD. This is what happened with the N64 to Gamecube.

As for online. Having free online service can be good and bad at the same time. For people who rarely use it, it is good, but the pay to play services are easier to use, better supported, less problems. IMO, XBOX live seems to be the better setup for me, however I don't own an xbox and have only had experience with LIVE at friends' houses. I have the PS2 network adaptor and rarely use it. The xbox live seems easier to use and it doesn't cost too much. I would not get it unless they had enough games to support it. As of now, there aren't enough LIVE games to warrent a purchase but I hope in the future that all games incorporate online in some way. Only then would I feel that online would be a worthy purchase.

bread's done
Back