Nintendo Wii: In stores Jan. 6th @ Wal-Mart (YMMV)

DustoMan

CAGiversary!
My supervisor has a second job at Wal-Mart in the electronics department. He said that they have been holding Wiis all week in preparation for this Sunday's ad. They have 18 in the back room at the moment. He works @ a Wal-Mart in Western Wisconsin. Wal-Mart may have different ads for different regions so I'll mark this post, YMMV. But it wouldn't hurt to give you local Wal-Mart a call on Sunday morning.

[quote name='UncleBob']How many units a month would Nintendo have to ship to keep these crazy conspiracy theories from cropping up all the time? 2 Million? 2.5 Million? 3.6 Million?

Seriously folks, when you've *shipped* and *sold* more units in one year's time than your closest competitor has shipped (not necessarily sold) in twice as much time, the idea that you're short shipping the supply just doesn't hold up very well.[/quote]

The bottom line here is that they should be increasing capacity, they don't need to build new factories, typically a company will go to a partner who is down on production of their products and have them manufacture a line or two of their product until the supply catches up with demand.
Anyway if Apple can figure out how to produce 25 million iPods a year because of their demand surely nintendo can figure out how to do it to. They know that their product doesn't have anything real to talk about, I've had mine since launch and have been extremely disappointed with the output of games for it (I hate all the mini-game based crap). So to maintain the buzz they short the supply to keep the demand high. I would be willing to bet that its still like this next year. Thankfully I was able to load my xbox with several "landmark high quality titles" the past few months.

We were finally able to get a Wii from the 24-hour Walmart in Chino, CA. They started selling them at 8AM and had 16 total. They sold out within the time it took to ring them all up. Not a single unit hit the shelves.

I hate my luck. I went last night before 12, and hardly anyone was back there and they did't seem to know anything about it,but I called this evening, and the guy said they sold them this morning at 7 if I would had listened to the first guy out there I would have had one :bomb:

I would be willing to bet that its still like this next year.

I'll bet you're right. Just around the end of summer, when Joe Consumer might actually have a fighting chance to 'leisurely' pick one up via brick-&-mortar or online purchase--bam!!--price drop plus holiday season equals "third verse, same as the first (and second)".

I also think that the release of Wii Fit will draw considerably more total non-gamers in. I see 2008, on the whole, being the 'girliest' year for the Wii yet. But whatever, I'll own Animal Crossing on Day One (I'm assuming that it'll somehow find its way to store shelves this year). I won't lie.

[quote name='bossman']Taken from bill9009 on SlickDeals:

first go to a page that has the function defined in the script, such as
this:

walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=ps3&ic=24_0

(just cut and paste the links and add www to the front and they should work)

then cut and paste this function in the address bar of the page you just pulled up

javascript:eek:penSlapOverlay(7855161)

I used that search thing. This cant be right it is showing them instock at my walmart... Then I noticed this... (In-stock status is approximate and was last updated on 01/06/2008 at 4:40 AM, E.T.)

The online stock thingee for WalMart.com is not at *all* an accurate way to determine if a local store has something in stock. There are so many things wrong with it...

[quote name='CaliforniaKing']So is it true that gamestop wlli hold a wii for you if you lay down a $50 deposit?[/quote]

I would like to know this as well seeing as this could possibly be the only way of me getting a Wii.. :oldman:

No they will not. When I found out my gamestop had Wiis in I asked the guy over the phone if I could give him my credit card number to charge right now and I'll come pick it up. The manager informed me that it was illegal for him to do so, and that it was first come first serve.

[quote name='FireWater']No they will not. When I found out my gamestop had Wiis in I asked the guy over the phone if I could give him my credit card number to charge right now and I'll come pick it up. The manager informed me that it was illegal for him to do so, and that it was first come first serve.[/quote]

I think that's different from what we are saying. Give them a deposit before Wii's are in stock so when they get them in stock, they'll call us and hold it for us.

I went to a Wal-Mart near me with a friend for him to pick up a wii, but no luck. The lady said only one store within like 20 miles got them and they only got 4 in.

Some of my walmarts got them and some didn't. Unfortunately, I went to the ones that didn't get them. I insisted on a raincheck and both Walmarts gave me one after much protest, telling them it was in thier ad and how they could get in trouble for not having it today.

[quote name='ranzchic']telling them it was in thier ad and how they could get in trouble for not having it today.[/quote]

LOL

what are you, 12?

[quote name='ranzchic']Some of my walmarts got them and some didn't. Unfortunately, I went to the ones that didn't get them. I insisted on a raincheck and both Walmarts gave me one after much protest, telling them it was in thier ad and how they could get in trouble for not having it today.[/QUOTE]
I don't think they're not that dumb. That's why they clearly put "Limited Quantity" :)

[quote name='ranzchic']I insisted on a raincheck and both Walmarts gave me one after much protest[/QUOTE]

What good is a raincheck going to do for you? It's not like they were on sale.

bread's done
Back