OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/330257-gamestop-tivpromo-thread-xxv-30-extra-toward-select-games-3040-for-titanfallinfamous-second-son-more/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Extra $5/$10 per game on XB1/PS4 games (Ends 4/6/14)
GameStop.com said:
Get an additional $5 in-store credit when you trade 1 PS4 or Xbox One game. Plus, get an additional $10 each when you trade in 2 or more PS4 or Xbox One games. Valid 3/24/14 - 4/6/14
Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Trades subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward items normally accepted in trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid through 4/6/14.

Extra 30% on Games/Accessories traded towards select games (Ends 4/28/14)
GameStop.com said:
Receive up to 40% extra in-store credit when you trade any games or accessories toward the following games:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Destiny
  • LEGO The Hobbit
  • Elder Scrolls Online
  • MLB 14 The Show
Valid 4/7/14 - 4/28/14

Extra 30% on Media Player trades (Ends 4/28/14)
GameStop.com said:
30% Extra In-Store Credit when you Trade Any Media Player Valid 4/7/14 - 4/27/14
Offer not valid on cash trades. By trading your device you release GameStop from any claim relating to the product (including, but not limited to, loss of the device or its contents, any music, pictures, or other data stored on it.) Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Offer good in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Guam only. Void where prohibited. Offer valid 4/7/14 through 4/27/14.

Guaranteed $40 trade-in credit for Infamous Second Son (Ends 4/20/14)
GameStop.com said:
Guaranteed $40 In-Store Credit When you trade inFAMOUS Second Son on PS4 by 4/20/14. Valid 3/21/14 - 4/20/14
$40 value is net value after trade. Valid only toward PS4 versions. Offer valid only while new game is priced at $59.99. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

Guaranteed $30 trade-in credit for Titanfall (Ends 5/7/14)
GameStop.com said:
Guaranteed $30 In-Store Credit when you Trade Titanfall on Xbox 360 Valid 4/8/14 - 5/7/14
$30 value is net value after trade. Xbox 360 versions. Offer valid only while new game is priced at $59.99. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Vita and memory card that I can get roughly $110 for with the 30% bonus if I put it towards South Park. Is that a pretty good price or am I better off waiting for a better deal/trading somewhere else? I mainly game on PC, so I haven't really paid much attention to trade in values recently. Thanks for the help!

I think I'm going to just bring my DVD player to GameStop and get my $60. I ran out of XBL Gold about six months ago, so it can't really do much except play DVDs and tell me on every single tab/app that I should upgrade to Gold.

I have a Vita and memory card that I can get roughly $110 for with the 30% bonus if I put it towards South Park. Is that a pretty good price or am I better off waiting for a better deal/trading somewhere else? I mainly game on PC, so I haven't really paid much attention to trade in values recently. Thanks for the help!
YMMV on getting that to work for South Park. The promo changed a few days ago, to TitanFail, Infamous, and a few preorders.

Is it just a black one? Size of memory card is important.

Is it just a black one? Size of memory card is important.
Yeah, it's the original one and a 4GB memory card. Sorry about that.

YMMV on getting that to work for South Park. The promo changed a few days ago, to TitanFail, Infamous, and a few preorders.
I saw it on their website, South Park's still included on the list with both of those games. Also I'm just going off of the trade values from the link below, I'll have to call my local store to make sure they're matching it. Either way, is that a fair trade-in price?

http://www.gamestop.com/trade-values

Just want to make sure nothing has changed - If I have a 20% off a used game purchase, as well as a $10 off any used game, can they be combined?
Yes, they can still be combined.

Let me get the values out of the way for JP:

4/1/14.

:vita:
PS Vita System Hardware TIV: $80.00
PS Vita 16GB Memory Card TIV: $14.50
PS Vita 32GB Memory Card TIV: $25.00

Depending on what kind of capacity the memory card has, you can get a lot more for it elsewhere. The vita, if you can get the SOTW coupon (50% towards next gen console) will yield better results for the trade (you can return the console at another time if not needed and keep the credit) otherwise I would wait for a better deal unless you are just trying to get rid of it.

I think I'm going to just bring my DVD player to GameStop and get my $60. I ran out of XBL Gold about six months ago, so it can't really do much except play DVDs and tell me on every single tab/app that I should upgrade to Gold.
I am guessing this is one of the phat ones. If so, trade the harddrive separetly to maximize your credit. Also, if you can manage to get the SOTW coupon / have credit use it to get a 50% boost to get the max credit. As mentioned before, you can return the console (prefarably at different time) if you don't need one and keep the credit.

Does anyone know if gamestop can combine gift cards? Also I have heard that cards get deactivated after a year but hold their value, has anyone treys using a gift card over a year old?

Does anyone know if gamestop can combine gift cards? Also I have heard that cards get deactivated after a year but hold their value, has anyone treys using a gift card over a year old?
I've never heard that they expire after a year but you can always buy gift cards with gift cards. I have a few cards with $100 each so I'll be combining them soon

I am guessing this is one of the phat ones. If so, trade the harddrive separetly to maximize your credit. Also, if you can manage to get the SOTW coupon / have credit use it to get a 50% boost to get the max credit. As mentioned before, you can return the console (prefarably at different time) if you don't need one and keep the credit.
4gb slim with no HDD. For the SOTW, do I need an active PUR membership? Mine expired I'm December and haven't renewed yet.

Also I have heard that cards get deactivated after a year but hold their value, has anyone treys using a gift card over a year old?
In CA, the gift cards don't "expire". The only reference that I've come across regarding a year of no activity is the PUR points. In the fine print, it indicates that points will expire unless you do a purchase or trade once a year. I looked into this when one of the reps scared me by indicating they expire if you don't use them within a year.

5/31 but print or write down the code before 5/30 because it will disappear from your active offers on 5/31.
I mistakenly found that out last month, then called them up and they re-sent it to me in the middle of the month. I took a screenshot of the code the other day I went in, but since they didn't have anything at that store I wanted to trade, I waited until the 31st and went to another store, got my stuff, ready to make a few easy $'s and low and behold all I had was a picture of my lock screen :(

Woot!! Woot!!

Just did a test trade and it went through. My ban has been lifted, in the somewhere between 60-90 day timeframe.

Got 42.50 I think for PS4 Second Son after bonus (I don't have receipt so I can't post base.)

An interesting and perhaps coincidence, is I finally zeroed out my credit yesterday.

Woot!! Woot!!

Just did a test trade and it went through. My ban has been lifted, in the somewhere between 60-90 day timeframe.

Got 42.50 I think for PS4 Second Son after bonus (I don't have receipt so I can't post base.)

An interesting and perhaps coincidence, is I finally zeroed out my credit yesterday.
What were you banned for and when

4/2

Base TIV

Xbox 360

Bioshock Infinite $5

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes $10

X1

Dead Rising 3 $25

I also got some random bonus of it looks to be a little over 30% on all my trades.  Promo #15559, anyone know what that is?  I didn't trade in towards anything, just put the credit on a card.

I also got some random bonus of it looks to be a little over 30% on all my trades. Promo #15559, anyone know what that is? I didn't trade in towards anything, just put the credit on a card.

They scanned the 30% bonus in for you anyway it works without you putting It towards a preorder

4/2
Base TIV

Xbox 360
Bioshock Infinite $5
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes $10

X1
Dead Rising 3 $25

I also got some random bonus of it looks to be a little over 30% on all my trades. Promo #15559, anyone know what that is? I didn't trade in towards anything, just put the credit on a card.
It's not so random...thats the 30% promo. They usually only scan it when you pre-order or buy a new game but you got one of the chill gamestop employees lol

I tried to trade in my PS4 (somewhere else) they check my powerup card and id and everything seemed alright but they said the internet was down and couldn't check the serial number. Is that really a thing or were they bullshitting me? Said it was down until Sunday. I don't know.

No, you just need the freebie account and you will be fine. Their isn't 10% bonus on consoles anyway so you really don't need the PUR pro account.
Cool, I didn't know if I could use the coupon for the SOTW. Feel free to PM me if I shouldn't be discussing here, but:

- Trade 360

- Use coupon

- Buy new console

- Return new console

Is that about right?

I tried to trade in my PS4 (somewhere else) they check my powerup card and id and everything seemed alright but they said the internet was down and couldn't check the serial number. Is that really a thing or were they bullshitting me? Said it was down until Sunday. I don't know.
Yes, it's real. When I traded in my AWD PS4, they scanned the serial number to log it in their system. I suppose the info is stored or checked against something but not sure what. It probably has to do with if it gets returned or something, they can track it if it gets swapped out for another (i.e. fraud).

Yes, it's real. When I traded in my AWD PS4, they scanned the serial number to log it in their system. I suppose the info is stored or checked against something but not sure what. It probably has to do with if it gets returned or something, they can track it if it gets swapped out for another (i.e. fraud).
I know about the serial numbers. I've traded in a PS4 before. I was more interested in their internet excuse for not taking my trade. It's probably me being paranoid. Could have swore I heard some beeps when I showed them my ID and powerup card. Don't know why I continue to put myself through this.

I know about the serial numbers. I've traded in a PS4 before. I was more interested in their internet excuse for not taking my trade. It's probably me being paranoid. Could have swore I heard some beeps when I showed them my ID and powerup card. Don't know why I continue to put myself through this.

Take off your tin foil hat. Lmao!!!

They were probably doing their id storage on the deep web. When they take your license number, they add you to a police database to make sure you don't have a flag for theft history. They ask for your picture I.d. because they compare it to the pics in the Skynet. Google this info if you don't believe me. GameStop is notorious for selling personal info to the Chinese govt as part of a debt pact.

Anyone know if i had to pre-order a game from gamestop to buy FFX/X-2 HD limited edition? They told me i had to pre-order something like watch dogs... which i did to buy the limited edition version of ffx/x-2 hd.

Anyone know if i had to pre-order a game from gamestop to buy FFX/X-2 HD limited edition? They told me i had to pre-order something like watch dogs... which i did to buy the limited edition version of ffx/x-2 hd.
You shouldn't have to preorder anything when buying something. What a douche move by the clerk.

please go back and demand to speak to the manager. unacceptable BS. also take the survey.

Wow, that 30% bonus credit offer was quite brief. Hopefully it comes back before the twentieth, getting $56 for Infamous is too good of an offer to miss out on. 

They're just holding that hostage to try to entice a preorder out of you. It's a copy someone who preordered didn't pick up and they don't want to give it to you unless you make a preorder.

That's wrong and you should fill out the survey to complain.

Yeah.. I'll fill it out later. If i dont pick up my watch dog copy i dropped 5$ to pre-order for do i get it back when it releases? I would prefer to cancel it asap but it seems like they always get mad at me everytime i do a trade in promotion for a pre-order game then canceling it so i can take advantage of there promo credit and use it on something else... So what do they do with the 5$ pre-order fee when the game dully releases and i no longer want?

Sounds like that guy takes their job too seriously (or they own way too much GS stock...). :roll:

Yes. There's a GS that used to do 100% bonuses on trade in's for the longest time. At first it was straight up 100%. Then they started capping it because they realized the total TIVs were greater than what they were selling the games for. Lol.
trust me. these people at that store are idiots if they care at all about gamestop's financial performance. its not like GME will share a dime with them. they get frisk to reduce shrink but pushes policy like this to customers, like i say "idiots"

i like this. killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Ha yeah! I was telling the guy I bought it from how I didn't want to buy it new because of how short it is. I just wanted to play it to satisfy my curiosity at how good I hope the full TPP will be. He's all " Just return it after you beat it, that's what I've been telling everyone." So I did just that lol. As a bonus I did use the code inside for the free goodies when the full "movie" releases in however long.

Ha yeah! I was telling the guy I bought it from how I didn't want to buy it new because of how short it is. I just wanted to play it to satisfy my curiosity at how good I hope the full TPP will be. He's all " Just return it after you beat it, that's what I've been telling everyone." So I did just that lol. As a bonus I did use the code inside for the free goodies when the full "movie" releases in however long.

You are trying too hard

Heads up from one of the Anonymous GameStop Employee's:

This weekend (actually April 4-6) GS is doing a CoD Ghosts sale:

$40 new on current gen
$30 new on old gen

If you're one of the first people there and buying on I believe Friday, you get posters and the strap that was in the Hardened/Prestige editions of the game. Each store was sent that promo material in the last week to hold for this sale.

That is the first track on my "ghetto mix" cassette that I made in the late 90s. I believe "no limit soldier" is the next track. Good times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back