Open games as new, is there a "final" word?

At my store, we only gut one copy. It saves us time, plus you guys can get sealed copies. Works for everyone.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Or to prevent them from getting stolen with the case.

You'd rather have it handled by everyone who thinks the box looks pretty? Have you looked at some of the customers they get?

It stands a much better chance in the drawer.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather just not waste another moment of my life inside a GameStop. There's no reason for that f'ing place to exist.

[quote name='daschrier']As far as cars go, I think there's a law that states how many miles a car can have on it before it's no longer new. Also, once a car has been registered legally it's no longer new.[/QUOTE]

Yes and I just talked to a friend that sells cars and it is less than 7,000 miles in my state! Yes 7 thousand! I was shooked. Of course these "Demo" cars are always sold at a discount anyhow since no one in their right mind would pay new car prices.

This whole thing could be easily fixed if EB did what Gamecrazy does and keep the new copies of the discs behind the counter all perfectly sealed and then offer discounts on all open product. Of course they would also have to invest in display cases like gamecrazy, but that would also save them the trouble of worrying about the easy to steal GBA and other handheld system games that could also be on display without having to go into the extra costs of having those boxes that they put out in order to let the customers know what handheld games they have in stock used. It would also save labor costs and time because the employees would not have to gut games and put the cases out as display copies.

[quote name='mastermetroid']This whole thing could be easily fixed if EB did what Gamecrazy does and keep the new copies of the discs behind the counter all perfectly sealed and then offer discounts on all open product. Of course they would also have to invest in display cases like gamecrazy, but that would also save them the trouble of worrying about the easy to steal GBA and other handheld system games that could also be on display without having to go into the extra costs of having those boxes that they put out in order to let the customers know what handheld games they have in stock used. It would also save labor costs and time because the employees would not have to gut games and put the cases out as display copies.[/QUOTE]

One of the potential lines of thinking with chains like GS and EB is that having display boxes that customers can actually take down and look at tends to make the product all the more attractive, while at the same time letting the customer browse without having to constantly ask counter help to see a game, followed by another game, followed by another.

When I was a FuncoLand manager, that proved to be problematic sometimes as you'd get customers who'd insist on looking at game after game and keeping a Game Advisor tied up during a rush. It's just easier to gut the games, put displays out there for customers to peruse at will, and then just ask for what they want.

Having said this, I'm not big on the "it's still new" thing. Call me a tight-ass, but if I'm paying $50 for a new game, I want to be the guy who opens it for the first time... dealing with opening the wrapper and those stupid factory stickers. Even if the game was never touched, it still feels "used" to me because the joy of opening it is gone. That's probably just me, though.

Again referring to my FuncoLand days, we had the option to take $5 off on opened new games... if the customer insisted. Of course, we were a lot like Game Crazy is now. We let people try games before buying them, just like they do. Unfortunately, with the markup on new games being so small, I can see why EB and GS don't do this. It sucks, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

No, it's not just you. My favorite part of buying a new game is ripping the plastic and wrapping the security seal around it. I than have a little plastic ball ready to throw at anybody I see fit. :applause:

[quote name='kill3r7']Believe it or not a lot of stores do use this practice. If they are out of new TV's or computers and that's the last one they'll sell it to you at a discount or not tell you at all. BB does this as well as Costco, CC, and a bunch of other stores, but they do offer you a discount something EBgames should try doing.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't my experience at Costco. I wanted a specific model DVD player and the only one they have left is a display/demo unit that's no longer in a sealed box. They wouldn't let me buy it because it has been opened and could not be sold as new anymore.

[quote name='BigB']I then have a little plastic ball ready to throw at anybody I see fit. :applause:[/QUOTE]

That's just it. The store re-packaged shrinkwrap is lighter and cheaper than the factory shrinkwrap, so you can't hit someone nearly as fast or hard with your new plastic ball when it's made from the cheap re-packaged junk. :cry:

[quote name='Machine']Really I just hate crybabies. If you have a complaint, don't cry about it on a message board - DO something.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you were aiming that at me? If so... Sorry it offended you. I wasn't trying to be a "crybaby" I just wanted to find out if there was any official final word on this practice.... (And I did try searching...type in open game new and you get 4,000,000,000 threads none of which appeared to have any relation to my initial query). As for "DO something" are you suggesting that if you don't have an answer you skip asking someone else that might?

Like many have suggested here, I have no problem just not buying a game as new if that's all they have; I have passed EVERY time. I'm not whiney or argumentitive about it. I'm always polite and friendly with any clerk as long as they are with me. It's not their fault that I disagree with a policy. My issue was just if that policy was allowed.

Anyways thanks everyone for all the responses. I really had no intention of starting a discussion that devolved to personal insults. I appreciate the clarification (and even the opinions) that are not steeped in e-rumor and spook story :)

[quote name='Machine']Really I just hate crybabies. If you have a complaint, don't cry about it on a message board - DO something.[/QUOTE]

you see the thing that bothers me the most is when you play some Xbox live game (see: halo 2) and you're not quite as badass as the other players they complain that someone is bad at the game? i just play to have fun not necessarily be the best halo 2 player ever.. i mean a lot of kids get bent up about the "ranking" system on there.. i mean who the hell cares about stuff like that? (no offense to people who play on there and have fun and don't yell at people who are worse then they are) but i mean.. people need to realize that not everybody goes out to be the best halo 2 players ever.. i will be the first to admit that i'm not the best but that doesn't mean i really care what some 12 year old thinks when they are kicking my ass because i don't play it all the time.. but i do try to practice and i have been getting better..

and since this has to stay on topic one time in this post i'll say.. EB sucks when it comes to getting open "new" games.. just refuse when you get one.

[quote name='nwaugh']To get a car to the dealership it has to be driven (to and from some cargo carrying vehicle). To get a game to the store you don't have to play it for a while.[/QUOTE]

Comparing apples and oranges, I see?

The other day i bought a "brand new, shrinkwrapped" copy of warioware touched for my ds and when i opened it in the car it had somebody else's receipt in it from 2 months prior. I just cant believe that they would be so scummy. I didnt even go back to argue because it wouldnt have made a difference. I guess that is capitalism for you.

If it's not factory sealed, it's not new. Do not sell it as new. Inform customer that it is a display copy. If they're selling a preowned copy as a "display" copy... that's questionable IMO. No, actually, that would piss me off if I was sold a preowned game as a "display copy," But hell, I always inspect my stuff before I walk outta the store so it's not really an issue to me.

bread's done
Back