Over Looked Games that Shouldn't be

[quote name='Mex25']victorious boxers for ps2 most accurate game to ever portray boxing[/QUOTE]

My local GS has one for $10. Think I'll go pick it up after so many have spoken highly of it.

[quote name='Genocidal']I've always had a soft spot for Blast Corps on N64. Picked it up for $20 new and don't regret it for a second. Blowing shit up is fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I could never get the hang of the Sideswipe though. :whistle2:(

[quote name='pop311']the what?[/QUOTE]

If you're referring to the Sideswipe, It was a bick pick-up truck w/ a metal rear that you had to slide into buildings to break them....

Someone help me out here....

[quote name='Genocidal']I've always had a soft spot for Blast Corps on N64. Picked it up for $20 new and don't regret it for a second. Blowing shit up is fun.[/QUOTE]

That game really did rock, one of the best games Rare did imo. Would love to see it ported to the DS.

Body Harvest for the n64 was one of the greatest action/adventure games ever created. Huge levels, TONS of HUGE enemies coming at you at once (at one point, the game might actually freeze) and it felt like a precursor to the engine used in GTA 3.

Weaponlord on the snes/genesis was one of the best fighting games ever, a brilliant mix of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat yet still retained it's own unique and deep gameplay. The storyline and characters were all very interesting as well. I really wish Namco or Visual Concepts would do something with the series in 2d or 3d.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']FREEDOM FIGHTERS is the most underappreciated game ever, by a wide margin. fuck EA, but play this game.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Even in threads like this you rarely see Freedom Fighters mentioned- it was an amazing game.

[quote name='bob_the_goon']Skygunner was great. What about Culdcept? It got a little blurb in EGM under the games they didn't have time to review section, but has been discussed before on this site. Mojo is a budget title puzzle game, similar to monkey ball or marble madness but with an added element of breaking blocks which require you to change the color of your ball. I think it goes for $10.[/QUOTE]
Culdcept is an amazing game. Highly recommended. My vote is Cold Winter. This is the game that got me playing FPSs again after a very long absence. Easily my favorite FPS and one of my favorite games. Too bad so few people even noticed it... Silent Storm for the PC as well. One of, if not the best, turn based strategy game ever---it sold 20,000 copies. Truely sad. No surprise though, I had to hunt damn hard to even find a copy for sale at release. I saw it previewed on X-Play and was eagerly awaiting it's release. I don't think Gamespot even listed it until it had been out for 3-6 months.

Blast Corps was a great, and very overlooked, game. The gameplay is so good, it actually holds up, despite the not so wonderful graphics.

[quote name='Drico']Shenme (Dreamcast) and Shenmue II (Euro Dreamcast, Xbox) ... Best games ever made, period. Alot of people seem to think it's "boring" but that's what I thought at first, too. Keep on playing, and you'll fall in love. :shock: Not that much action, but when there is, it's good. ;)

Very much a story/character driven game with OUTSTANDING music! It seems the closest thing you can get to oldschool gaming, but with modern features.[/QUOTE]

Shenmue at it's release was the most amazing gameplay experience I had ever had. However, I bought II at release (preorder actually I think), and could never get into it. I don't really know why that is, but the first at least (and maybe the 2nd too, might just be me) is a gameplay experience not to be missed.

Ico- Speaking of gameplay experiences, I can't believe no one has mentioned Ico. This game is/was so far ahead of its time, it's not even funny. The structure of this game was one that will be the template for the next generation of gaming. Every thing from Fight Night Round 3 to King Kong is using elements from this game. It is everything a "game" should be. I can't really explain it better than that. Just play it.

Final Fantasy IX-I know, how can a FF game be overlooked. Well, due to it's release (on the PS1 after the PS2 was out), this one mostly was, especially after the disappointment that VIII was, but it is actually one of the better entries in the series. Not the best, but still a damn good game, and deserves more recognition than it gets.

D2-for the Dreamcast. Back when I was playing EQ 14+ hours a day, this was the first game that pulled me away from it. I did not touch my computer again until I finished this game. Very, very good game that like 5 people played.

Einhander-for the Ps1. One of my favorite side scrolling shooters, made by square, and again, like 5 people played it.

Armed and Dangerous-xbox. The game itself isn't the best ever, but the cutscenes are possibly the funniest ever in a game, and rival most any movie.

Ditto on One for Ps1. Damn that was a fun game, and really challenging too. Anybody have recommendations on similar games?

Everybody keeps mentioning Culdcept..that tells you how much of a hidden gem that game is. That game is truly under rated and awesome!!
Some other overlooked games that I like are:
Goblin Commander (multi-console): this game was really cool, and they made a RTS console friendly.
D&D Heroes (Xbox): 4 player hack n slash is great! My friends & I beat the Baldur's Gates and the Norraths..then we tried this game out, we were surprised how great it was! I would put it up there with the BGs (BG 2 is still my fave)
Ultimate Muscle(GC): I don't normally like sports games or most of the wrestling (WWE) titles out there... but I have a blast with this game. I can't believe how many people either A. haven't heard of it....or B. refused to play it cause "it looks dumb"
Some other games that are overlooked but addicting as hell are the Worms games (Worms World Party was the best). I like all the classic worms games and the current Worms 3-D. Worms Forts was kinda dissapointing.....and Worms Blast just plain sucked! I'm hoping they don't screw up Worms 4.

Agree on Einhander. Even moreso on Poy Poy. Heartily agree on Freedom Fighters. Oh, the patriotism it inspires is amazing.

Also on PS1: Fear Effect 2 (never played the first, but the second was just awesome). Die Hard Trilogy is STILL fun as hell, especially the 3rd person game (with the FPS game in a close second). Vandal Hearts is so much easier to get into than FFT, and the storyline and character design just won me over. And one of the coolest games that I could never get better at: Carnage Heart. I STILL look for it on ebay here and there. And despite all of the hype around Suikoden 2, I feel that the original Suikoden is better.

PS2: Def Jam: FFNY was so much fun. That is, until you put it on hard mode.

Honorable mention: Actraiser and the original Pilotwings on SNES. My god, I want to cry now that I think of Pilotwings. What a great experience that was.

Oh, and Populous on Sega Genesis. Eternal Champions was very cool - great fighter.

I always loved Dungeon Explorer for Turbo Grafx 16.

Gates of Zendocon for Atari Lynx was the bomb.

Someone mentioned Weaponlord, and I must give kudos to them. I used to hang out in an import game shop, and the guys who ran it were all about Weaponlord, saying how deep it was. That game was certainly lost in obscurity. What I played of it, I thought was great.

Culdcept is one of the best games on the PS2. I have poured somewhere around 150+ hours into that one, with no signs of stopping. It's one of the few games that still gets played on a regular basis, over a year after it was first released.

I think I drop this title every topic, but it remains true: EarthBound.

[quote name='MarkMan']A couple off the top of my head:

Obscure(XBOX/PS2)
Dragon Warrior VII(PS1)

:)[/QUOTE]

Dragon Warrior VII- fuck YEAH!!!! I got 60 hours out of that game WITHOUT all the sidequests- just the normal storyline.

D2 for Dreamcast, great, original survival horror

Shenmue II needs to be rereleased here with the JAPANESE VOICES on a mainstream system- no mainstream gamer is gonna get their hands on a PAL-enabled DC or hell a DC in general. What a fucking amazing game.

Saiyuki: The Journey West for PSone was a fun little strategy RPG but I rarely see it mentioned anywhere. Good game.

I've seen ALOT of these games mentioned, that I've owned at some point and all can be recommened. Sky Gunner, R.A.D. , Psi ops, shenmue, the Shadow Hearts series. And some I will pickup. (culdcept)For some reason I am drawn to these off beat games.

The one I picked recently is the ps2 exclusive FPS Cold Winter(14.88 at walmart) I messed around with it last night(could not save,not enough MC sapce) , and it was fun so far!

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door slipped a bit under the radar/public eye, didn't it?

I'd say Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. it got some press coverage and good reviews, but didn't sell well. it had a great redemption story and solid FP & TP gameplay.

[quote name='munch']I'd say Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. it got some press coverage and good reviews, but didn't sell well. it had a great redemption story and solid FP & TP gameplay.[/QUOTE]

That game was a blast. I need to buy it again.

It's only downfalls were the voice acting and the length of the game. It needed a little more variation to the gameplay, too. But, man; what a solid game.

I can only imagine the sequel (if there is a sequel) will be 10 times better.

Carnage Heart is a great game. Think at one time they were going to do a sequel. May have only come out in Japan. Spent hours on that game.

Tobal No. 1 is a decent fighter with a quest mode added on.

Circus Maximus is kickass with a bunch of drunks. :razz:

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is fun as hell. Glad Blizzard recognized Swingin Ape on their work with giving them their baby (Starcraft: Ghost).

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned Eternal Darkness. It did receive some press, but it was still well under the radar for casual gamers.

AND...

mendelpalace8mv.gif

Best NES game no one ever played.

1080 Avalanche
Agressive Inline
Ape Escape 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Contra SS
Freedom Fighters
Jade Cocoon 2
Klonoa 2
Lupin the 3rd: Treasure of the Sorcerer King
Mad Maestro
RoadKill
Test Drive: Eve of Destruction
Ultimate Muscle: Legends Vs. New Generation
Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo

Grim Fandango---PC. great reviews, still holds up today to play, but bad timing I guess.

No one lives forever PC---one of the best FPS/action games ever but again never got on. Kate Archer was one bad Motha.. (Shut your mouth)

And a hugely overlooked game on a very overlooked system was Dungeon Master for the Atari ST.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Madden[/QUOTE]

I'd agree " Madden Cross Country Bus Driver" 2002 was soooo overlooked probably cause Madden Cross Country Bus Driver 2001 was so terrible.

Ridge Racer DS seems to catch a lot of crap, but I think it's pretty good.

They must've done well if they made 3, but the Pac-Man World games are great platformers and don't seem to get a lot of recognition.

Haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me for repeats. Off the top of my head:

King's Bounty on Genesis: Awesome strat/RPG
Mario's Picross on GB: Unique and addictive puzzle game
Space Griffon on PSone: Launch FPS with mechs and great story
Bushido Blade on PSone: innovative fighter by Square
Tombo on PSone: classic 2D platforming w/RPG elements and missions
Treasures of the Deep on PSone: beautiful undersea action game
Deus Ex on PC/PS2: one of the best games ever, cult following
Everblue 2 on PS2: open-ended deep-sea salvaging game nobody played
Gallop Racer 2003 on PS2: best horseracing game (2004 copied another franchise)
The Suffering PS2/Xbox: killer blend of action and horror
Double Dragon GBA: better, longer, and prettier than the kick-ass arcade original
Eternal Darkness on GC: still my favorite survival horror

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

AND...

mendelpalace8mv.gif

Best NES game no one ever played.[/QUOTE]

Hudson Soft, much like SNK(Crystalis) and Natsume, can make good NON trademark games but they seem to wallow in the crap of their Honey Pot. "Team Innocent" by Hudson Soft is suppose to be good as well and perhaps they made "Battle Heat" too.
Anyway I don't know if anyone mentioned this but "Phantom Crash" is damn good. Also I like "Clash At Demonhead". To be honest this game BELONGS as an Anime but strangely NO Japanese company ever picked up the rights. If I had the money I'd buy them and start development on it.

Clash at Demonhead
One of the best NES games I've ever played, hands-down. I think I ended up playing it more than I ever did Mega Man 2 and I loved MM2 to death. The dialogue, the weapons, the equipment, the various "areas" that you had to search through, and the multitude of secrets just made this game absolutely stellar.

The Guardian Legend
Broderbund made some amazing games. When was the last time you heard of an Action-RPG/Shooter (well, save for Sigma Star Saga)? Solid in both genres, tons of gameplay, and just an amazing game from beginning to end. Just another oft-forgotten title that has rock-solid gameplay. (For the NES, by the way)

Stinger (Twinbee)
Almost always forgotten on the NES, this port of one of the Twinbee games (I think it was the second or the third one) was an amazing shooter. Plenty of secrets on the ground, the ability to choose your powerup...so long as you keep it juggling until you get what you want, all while destroying everything in your path. Quality.

Mojo!
A pretty good puzzle/action game for PS2. It's definitely worth $6 or less, although your mileage may vary. Unlockable balls and gameplay that feels like a combination of Marble Madness and a puzzle game ends up being a fun title altogether. I still prefer the tension in Marble Madness, though, since Mojo! feels a little bit too loose, but that's just me. Well worth it, though.

Oh, and for whomever mentioned Taito needing to make old game compilations, they did that in Japan. No word of any localization (sadly), but the collections (Volume 1 and 2) are amazing. 20+ games apiece (I think 25 and 26 respectively) and they feature some of Taito's amazing classics. Granted, they're still missing a handful of titles, but considering the quality of what is there, it makes up for it. The first volume alone has arcade quality ports of Elevator Action Returns, Bubble Bobble, and a handful of other titles. If you have the means or opportunity to import, I highly suggest it. They'll end up costing around $60 over at play-asia.com, but if you happen to grab a $5 coupon from someone else down the line...it's much more reasonable.

Besides, if you're a Saturn fan, two or three of the titles themselves would cost up to $60 anyway, so...more money saved!

And one more!

The Raiden Project (PS1)
Raiden I and II, in all their glory, for the PS1. That's it. Two classic, amazing shooters in a single package, almost impossible to find after the PS1's original release a decade ago. Just solid titles for an amazing price. That and the game, even on the normal mode, isn't insanely brutal like a lot of SHMUPs nowadays, so it's wonderful for even the casual gamer. Yet...don't walk in and crank up the difficulty unless you mean it. Seiban Taikatsu wasn't big on the "hey, your ship only has three pixels that detect damage!" concept of SHMUPs.

...and maybe a quick list of Dreamcast goodies.

Bangai-o (thank god this has already been mentioned, although it also came out for N64), Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Mars Matrix, Cannon Spike, Gunbird 2, Typing of the Dead (surprisingly fun), Magnetic Neo

[quote name='Kapwanil']
The Raiden Project (PS1)
Raiden I and II, in all their glory, for the PS1. That's it. Two classic, amazing shooters in a single package, almost impossible to find after the PS1's original release a decade ago. Just solid titles for an amazing price. That and the game, even on the normal mode, isn't insanely brutal like a lot of SHMUPs nowadays, so it's wonderful for even the casual gamer. Yet...don't walk in and crank up the difficulty unless you mean it. Seiban Taikatsu wasn't big on the "hey, your ship only has three pixels that detect damage!" concept of SHMUPs.

...and maybe a quick list of Dreamcast goodies.

Bangai-o (thank god this has already been mentioned, although it also came out for N64), Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Mars Matrix, Cannon Spike, Gunbird 2[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what they said...... and N2O - Nitrous Oxide - Trippy Tempest-like gameplay to the sounds of TCM ~

Ribbit King - as long as you can get past the kiddie stuff, this game can last you a while... and the story is actually pretty funny.

Graffiti Kingdom/Magic Pengel - This game is one of the only games that I know of that really the only limits are how creative you can be.

Project Justice - Do some research on it and do yourself a favor by getting this God's gift to man!

Metal Arms is a really fun shooter, with cool minigames where you can takeover the boss robots and use them for more destructive power.

The game takes about 2 or 3 levels to get into - but it has tons of gameplay and the best part is that the weapons all behave differently.

Not the best FPS, but it brings something original to the table and the robot quotes are often hilarious (IE that one guard who sees you blowing S#!t up and says "What the...")

bread's done
Back