Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

well how would other people know? I mean this item is regularly priced at 400 but i could buy it at buy.com for $100 selling it for $300 and making $200 dollars profit.

[quote name='blackbird3216']i just realized that my tv has a audio out port(with 2 analog ports) so i think that means that everything that is connected to it will get the audio out from there or something. But since im getting a tv upgrade soon to the HD age, would i have to buy a box, or do HD tvs also have audio out ports?

Also, does anyone know if the system sounds well if i stack the satelite speakers top and bottom? And would i still get 5.1 Surround sound from the wii if i do it that ^ way.[/quote]

depends on the tv, i have an hd lcd it has two audio out ports.
but if you have a tv tuner box, most of the time they have audio out through digital audio. thats me anyways.

[quote name='Furashu']depends on the tv, i have an hd lcd it has two audio out ports.
but if you have a tv tuner box, most of the time they have audio out through digital audio. thats me anyways.[/QUOTE]
yeah, but i was wondering if i could still get 5.1 over the audio out from the TV if i connected my component cables to the tv(even though it doesn't support 480p) then connected the system over the audio out. How exactly does audio out work?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']You have to string a microphone thing from the unit to where you're sitting? :S Do I have to string a wire into the refridgerator in my kitchen, too? How about one to the toilet? Or the car in the garage? What a pain. Or is it just for calibration and then you don't need to yank it around anymore?

You know how you said you stacked your speakers up front, no rear speaker? Is that common? Maybe I should just do that instead of buying a wireless rear speaker kit.

Can I buy new speaker wires for the rears? Or would I have to actually splice the wires in that case? I'm putting the speakers on the ceiling in the four corners of the room, so...

Surround sound is great, but it sure is a pain. Mostly those dang rear speakers.[/quote]

one time thing for the MCAA mic thing. it autoconfigures the levels of different sounds.

this system specifically has the front surround option, not all sound systems do. you stack the rears on top of the fronts, then you can turn them to whatever position you want. i have the rears facing away from the tv to give it that sense of the sound coming from elsewhere...i don't know, not really an expert on this thing.

oh i also tried to use optical + hdmi on the 360...not gonna happen. the component cable adapter blocks the hdmi port so you can't use both. a tv w/ optical out or a tuner box/selector is the only way if you want your 360 to still use hdmi.

Forgive the questions, but I'm a total newbie and have not really owned my own surround system before.

I just got this system, for use with my Wii and Vizio 26" HDTV, are there any particular cables I need or extra instructions I require to set it up properly?

Admittedly, I have quite possibly the worst motor skills on the planet, and the instructions are confusing to me.

Excuse the bother.

ok, free bump to the post.

I didn't solve my previous problem up there^ but i also have another question. Is it really necessary to enjoy DVD's and game consoles? I mean, compared to with and without it, what's really the difference.

[quote name='blackbird3216']ok, free bump to the post.

I didn't solve my previous problem up there^ but i also have another question. Is it really necessary to enjoy DVD's and game consoles? I mean, compared to with and without it, what's really the difference.[/QUOTE]

Kinda like a theater, except there's not as many speakers surrounding you. It definitely helps with the experience, like bullets flying past you or explosions behind you, etc... Also in games you can hear where enemies are shooting from, walking up to you from behind...etc..Not necessary but again, experience!

[quote name='blackbird3216']yeah, but i was wondering if i could still get 5.1 over the audio out from the TV if i connected my component cables to the tv(even though it doesn't support 480p) then connected the system over the audio out. How exactly does audio out work?[/QUOTE]

You'll need an optical out of your TV to get 5.1. You can't get that through the standard red and white RCA audio outputs.

[quote name='typeRJ']
oh i also tried to use optical + hdmi on the 360...not gonna happen. the component cable adapter blocks the hdmi port so you can't use both. a tv w/ optical out or a tuner box/selector is the only way if you want your 360 to still use hdmi.[/QUOTE]

Can always use this. It adds an optical port to the HDMI 360s A bit pricey since it's first party, but I'm sure there cheaper third party ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HDMI..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1196652055&sr=8-1

[quote name='Saraquael']You'll need an optical out of your TV to get 5.1. You can't get that through the standard red and white RCA audio outputs.

Can always use this. It adds an optical port to the HDMI 360s A bit pricey since it's first party, but I'm sure there cheaper third party ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HDMI-AV-Cable/dp/B000UODATY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1196652055&sr=8-1[/quote] it's dolby pro logic 2. turns analog 2 channel, into 5.1. I just don't know if the signal would transfer from the wii to the reciever from the TV. Does the TV act like a router?

[quote name='typeRJ']this system specifically has the front surround option, not all sound systems do. you stack the rears on top of the fronts, then you can turn them to whatever position you want. i have the rears facing away from the tv to give it that sense of the sound coming from elsewhere...i don't know, not really an expert on this thing.[/quote]

That's actually really cool that it has that option for people who don't want speakers and wire dangling all over the room. I might have to try that out. And that does make sense, pointing the "rear" speakers in another direction. Not a bad idea.

[quote name='typeRJ'] oh i also tried to use optical + hdmi on the 360...not gonna happen. the component cable adapter blocks the hdmi port so you can't use both. a tv w/ optical out or a tuner box/selector is the only way if you want your 360 to still use hdmi.[/quote]

Dang, that seems like kind of a design flaw. I don't use HDMI, though, just component, so I should be good, right? I plan to plug the 360 and PS directly into the sound system with optical cables. I'm not even sure if my TV has any optical in/out.

[quote name='blackbird3216']ince im getting a tv upgrade soon to the HD age, would i have to buy a box, or do HD tvs also have audio out ports?[/quote]

Actually, most HDTVs should have at least an analog audio out if not optical as well. Mine has analog for sure. I need to check on the optical, but I'd imagine most TVs would have that option available.

[quote name='blackbird3216'] Also, does anyone know if the system sounds well if i stack the satelite speakers top and bottom? And would i still get 5.1 Surround sound from the wii if i do it that ^ way.[/quote]

Well, it won't be true surround sound, but it does sound like this system, unlike many, does include a specific option to stack the speakers and get all the sound coming from the front. I'd say give it a shot, and if it doesn't sound all that great, bust your butt getting the rear speakers behind you. :) It really is a pain. I'm planning to get some wireless rears, but that could create even more problems. Sigh.

Hi, i'm completely new to these tv sound systems and i was wondering if i will be able to get the full surround sound with my setup? I have a 360 elite with a sony wega television. Not sure if they have optical ports, whatever that is. I really want to get this but i'm unsure if it'll be worth it and if i'll get the best out of the product.

[quote name='uEih']Hi, i'm completely new to these tv sound systems and i was wondering if i will be able to get the full surround sound with my setup? I have a 360 elite with a sony wega television. Not sure if they have optical ports, whatever that is. I really want to get this but i'm unsure if it'll be worth it and if i'll get the best out of the product.[/quote]

Definitely. Your Xbox will connect directly to the unit. You've got all you need to take advantage of it. :) And even if you decide to put all the speakers in front with your TV rather than actually stringing the rear speakers to some place behind you, you'll still have a tremendous improvement over the TV speakers I assume you're using now. Go for it!

Those Wegas are great TVs, by the way. I have a small Toshiba HDTV now, but I used a 32" Sony Wega for many years before that.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Definitely. Your Xbox will connect directly to the unit. You've got all you need to take advantage of it. :) And even if you decide to put all the speakers in front with your TV rather than actually stringing the rear speakers to some place behind you, you'll still have a tremendous improvement over the TV speakers I assume you're using now. Go for it!

Those Wegas are great TVs, by the way. I have a small Toshiba HDTV now, but I used a 32" Sony Wega for many years before that.[/quote]

Wow!! sounds soo good. i find it hard spending the money but i think it's all worth it considering the price and what i'm getting for it. So where exactly is the port to hook it up through the 360? Yea i think my tv is the best thing for a standard tv. Glad to hear it can work with all the speakers in the front because i was wondering how i'm going to put the rear speakers up. I don't like all the wires everywhere, looks tacky. Thanks a lot.

so if I was to hook this speaker set directly to the HDTV using an optical cable...everything (wii, ps2, ps3, xbox360, etc.) that is hooked up to the TV will automatically play through the 5.1 speakers?

I know obviously the wii doesnt support 5.1 but like if the speakers are hooked through the tv will the wii games audio come out of the speaker set in dolby pro logic II or will they go through the regular old tv speakers.

Also how do you know if a movie/game is running in DTS or Dolby pro logic II or Dolby 5.1...is there a way to change it? does it say?

[quote name='Ghostbuster84']so if I was to hook this speaker set directly to the HDTV using an optical cable...everything (wii, ps2, ps3, xbox360, etc.) that is hooked up to the TV will automatically play through the 5.1 speakers?[/quote]

Yep, that should be the case. Although if something is hooked into your TV with standard analog cables, you might not get the full effect for that particular piece (someone with more knowledge than I will have to confirm/deny/explain that, though).

[quote name='uEih']Wow!! sounds soo good. i find it hard spending the money but i think it's all worth it considering the price and what i'm getting for it. So where exactly is the port to hook it up through the 360? Yea i think my tv is the best thing for a standard tv. Glad to hear it can work with all the speakers in the front because i was wondering how i'm going to put the rear speakers up. I don't like all the wires everywhere, looks tacky. Thanks a lot.[/quote]

Yeah, I had them strung across the ceiling at one point, covered in masking tape. Not only is it tacky, it's sort of hazardous in a few ways. Blah. And a pain. Frustrating to set up.

Anyway, yeah, you should love it.

The port on your 360 (I just found it today myself) is actually on the A/V cable aparatus. The big clunk part that plugs into the back of your 360 has a little... "side" for lack of any other term, and there's a port on there that looks like a little back airlock opening or something for a ship to fly into (I'm stretching here). So it's not actually on the 360 itself, which is what confused me. (PS2, on the other hand, the port is right on the unit.)

Hope that kind of makes sense. :/

But lets say i hooked it up through my 360, could i use the speakers when i watch cable television? Cause it seems like it's coming from the 360 only?

[quote name='uEih']But lets say i hooked it up through my 360, could i use the speakers when i watch cable television? Cause it seems like it's coming from the 360 only?[/quote]

Right, in that case, it would still just be coming from the TV speakers. You'd need to connect the TV to the system as well. This is pretty easily accomplished, though, happily. The unit does have analog (the red/white cable) ports in the back (at least one), and your TV should have an analog audio out. Then you go into your TV settings and can choose things like control volume externally and disable TV speakers, options especially for situations like this where you TV is running through an external sound system.

Amazingly, it's actually easier than it sounds. :)

Ah, gotcha. Now where to put the subwoofer. I don't have any more space except to put it on my tv stand which is near the xbox. It's a glass stand so i don't know how well that'll work with the subwoofer.

[quote name='uEih']Ah, gotcha. Now where to put the subwoofer. I don't have any more space except to put it on my tv stand which is near the xbox. It's a glass stand so i don't know how well that'll work with the subwoofer.[/quote]

It should be okay, I think?? With my current (horrible) set up, I just have the subwoofer on the floor. I'm really looking forward to this new one. In addition to sounding way better, it'll be more compact. I'm thinking pretty seriously about keeping all the speakers up front, too.

This is a little off-topic, but do any of you guys know how far the Best Buy price match policy extends? Circuit City has deals on Dead Rising and Call of Duty 4 this week, but I don't have a Circuit City, just a Best Buy, and I'm wondering (hoping...wishing?) if/that a price match would be possible.

Does anyone know how these stack up to the xbox spherex system that went on clearence a while ago?
If they are better I might just try to pick em up

[quote name='typeRJ']
oh i also tried to use optical + hdmi on the 360...not gonna happen. the component cable adapter blocks the hdmi port so you can't use both. a tv w/ optical out or a tuner box/selector is the only way if you want your 360 to still use hdmi.[/quote]

Not so fast my friend. Click this link, and follow the instructions to keep your $50.

anyone know how long the rear speaker wires are? I think they will be long enough, but if not I'll have to extend them somehow, or buy a roll of wire somewhere. are both ends just usual speaker wire?

[quote name='TheShiz']anyone know how long the rear speaker wires are? I think they will be long enough, but if not I'll have to extend them somehow, or buy a roll of wire somewhere. are both ends just usual speaker wire?[/QUOTE]

No the end that plugs into the Sub is a special connector but you can just extend the speaker wire where it would attach to the speaker. Pretty Simple.

[quote name='TheShiz']anyone know how long the rear speaker wires are? I think they will be long enough, but if not I'll have to extend them somehow, or buy a roll of wire somewhere. are both ends just usual speaker wire?[/QUOTE]

I read on a review that the rear speaker wire is 30ft long, but can't find the source though....

I say they're pretty good for a small room, but personally I ended up not liking them that much. It only accepts audio inputs, no video inputs and to me the handling of surround wasn't that great. It was hard to hear voices on movies from 7-8 ft away.

As far as distortion goes, I didn't notice any. For $100 I would reccomend this system to anyone lol. Just make sure you have room for the surrounds otherwise it justr becomes an elaborate 2.1 system.

sorry for double post,

but the rear speaker wires are quite long. What kind of range do you need? I estimate they're at least 10-15 ft long.

[quote name='zaxour']I say they're pretty good for a small room, but personally I ended up not liking them that much. It only accepts audio inputs, no video inputs and to me the handling of surround wasn't that great. It was hard to hear voices on movies from 7-8 ft away.

As far as distortion goes, I didn't notice any. For $100 I would reccomend this system to anyone lol. Just make sure you have room for the surrounds otherwise it justr becomes an elaborate 2.1 system.[/quote]

whats the point of video inputs?

anyways, yeah its good for small rooms. donno about larger ones.

[quote name='zaxour']sorry for double post,

but the rear speaker wires are quite long. What kind of range do you need? I estimate they're at least 10-15 ft long.[/QUOTE]

You must suck at estimating size and length. They should actually be around 30 feet long. 10-15 foot wire wouldn't make sense for rear speakers.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Definitely. Your Xbox will connect directly to the unit. You've got all you need to take advantage of it. :) And even if you decide to put all the speakers in front with your TV rather than actually stringing the rear speakers to some place behind you, you'll still have a tremendous improvement over the TV speakers I assume you're using now. Go for it!

Those Wegas are great TVs, by the way. I have a small Toshiba HDTV now, but I used a 32" Sony Wega for many years before that.[/QUOTE]
i actually have a very old 27'' wega im thinking about giving it a new permanent home so i could have a HDTV. Its solid, but the technology gets old soon. I could see it lasting another 10 years. The sound ain't that good though, and i can't convince my family members that we need a surround sound system. They think it's "fine" or "well get one when we upgrade that tv when it breaks(in another 10 years)"

[quote name='pimpinc333']You must suck at estimating size and length. They should actually be around 30 feet long. 10-15 foot wire wouldn't make sense for rear speakers.[/QUOTE]

30 feet will probably do it, thanks

[quote name='TheShiz']30 feet will probably do it, thanks[/quote]

Wow, that's great! 30 feet should satisfy even my weird penchant for running the wire up the wall and across the ceiling.

Blackbird--yeah, Sony TVs last absolutely forever. My grandparents had one of the first American models, and it lasted maybe 30 years, and that's after getting struck by lightning. And it was the controls on the unit that wore out, not the picture tube. It was so old, it didn't even have a remote. Not just one of the first American models but one of the first color TVs!

[quote name='pimpinc333']You must suck at estimating size and length. They should actually be around 30 feet long. 10-15 foot wire wouldn't make sense for rear speakers.[/quote]

Well he did say "at least" 10-15. I hope they really are 30 or longer. That would be fantastic. The longer the better.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Well he did say "at least" 10-15. I hope they really are 30 or longer. That would be fantastic. The longer the better.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't really matter how long the speaker wire is though guys. When buying any Home theater you usually would toss the speaker wires they give you in the box ( In this case since you need the Plastic ends that plug into the Sub you'll need to splice them off and connect them to the new speaker wire ). That shit is super low quality. Up Grade to something with a higher Gauge. You might pay a little more but it well worth it.

[quote name='Ghostbuster84']I just want a surround system where I can hear stuff going on behind me and on my left and right. Does this fit the bill?[/QUOTE]

Yes just hook it up with the optical cable they give you and you're all set.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Doesn't really matter how long the speaker wire is though guys. When buying any Home theater you usually would toss the speaker wires they give you in the box ( In this case since you need the Plastic ends that plug into the Sub you'll need to splice them off and connect them to the new speaker wire ). That shit is super low quality. Up Grade to something with a higher Gauge. You might pay a little more but it well worth it.[/quote]

I totally would, but I apparently can't splice. I tried it once, and it didn't work. I guess I did it wrong. Which happens. But I'm not excited to try it again and potentially ruin the operation. :(

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I totally would, but I apparently can't splice. I tried it once, and it didn't work. I guess I did it wrong. Which happens. But I'm not excited to try it again and potentially ruin the operation. :([/QUOTE]

Pretty Easy. Wire Strippers/Cutters are like 2 Bucks at a hardware store. Just strip them and twist the together. To make it look a little more professional, you could also buy some Heat Shrink to cover up the spliced area.

[quote name='Furashu']no one answered my question, why is it a negative not to have video inputs?[/QUOTE]

It's not. If you want a good cheap HTIB for a smaller room, buy this. If you need to worry about video inputs and crap you probably should spend more money and get a fancier unit anyway.

Problem is that you can't jsut replace the speaker wires on this system, at least not easily. At the subwoofer/receiver, they use a proprietary plug port. I'm sure someone could get it in there, but there's no standard speaker wire plug-ins.

No video is a negative for me since I have 6 consoles, 5 of which are hooked up via Component. I don't know of any HDTV that has 5+component inputs. So, I use the receiver as a switch as well as an audio switch.

[quote name='zaxour']Problem is that you can't jsut replace the speaker wires on this system, at least not easily. At the subwoofer/receiver, they use a proprietary plug port. I'm sure someone could get it in there, but there's no standard speaker wire plug-ins.

No video is a negative for me since I have 6 consoles, 5 of which are hooked up via Component. I don't know of any HDTV that has 5+component inputs. So, I use the receiver as a switch as well as an audio switch.[/QUOTE]

??? Yes it is actually very very easy to replace the speaker wire.

Maybe I'll try it. I don't know what I did wrong before. I stripped the wires and (I thought) twisted them together properly, then wrapped them in electrical tape, but it didn't seem to work. :(

[quote name='UncleGuito']I ordered this on the 27th and it's still "in the warehouse." This is ridiculous, it should have arrived by now.[/quote]

I'm in the exact same boat :cry:

bread's done
Back