Planet Earth Blu-ray $54.95 & HD DVD $59.95 shipped at Amazon

Not a bad price at all. I have seen the blu ray versions of the box set much higher than this. Usually around $90. I think I may order this.

It's the same price at the Discovery Channel store. My friend works for said channel, and was able to get it for me for $42. So pretty.

[quote name='mkelehan']It's the same price at the Discovery Channel store. My friend works for said channel, and was able to get it for me for $42. So pretty.[/quote]

From what I have heard though, the BBC one is a lot better than Discovery channel one.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']From what I have heard though, the BBC one is a lot better than Discovery channel one.[/quote]
Correct. The BBC version has more content (530 minutes) and is 1080p, as opposed to the US version which is shorter (480 minutes) and 1080i. Go for the BBC version unless you're a Sigourney Weaver fan, she narrates the US version instead of the BBC's Richard Attenborough.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Where do you get the British version?[/quote]
For some reason that I do not understand, the BBC version is sold alongside the US version at many retailers. I have seen both versions right next to each other at Borders, B&N, Wal-Mart, and the Navy Exchange.

I have the regular dvd set.
The extras are nice.
Does the blu ray not have the extras?
they consist of about 10-12 minutes of making of/behind of the scenes of each chapter.

I am not a fan of Sigourney Weaver, but I can't stand a thick British accent. Is the commentary on the BBC version good or is it a heavy British accent. I am trying to think how he sounded in Jurassic Park, but I can't recall. I remember it not bothering me there like some British accents, but that is a far cry from narrating the entire Planet Earth Blu-ray.

Whats with all the hype about this? I know im completely out of the loop here but everyone and their grandmas keep talking about how amazing this is.

I'm wanting to buy this but all I have right now is a 26" 720p TV so I dont plan on upgrading to a HD-DVD or Blu Ray player anytime soon, but I might eventually.

Are either of the versions combo discs so I can play them in a normal DVD player for now?

I've got the BBC one on Blu-Ray and it's absolutely breathtaking. Some shots I'd swear are CG, but apparently they're not. Just brilliant...and Attenborough has maybe the most classic narrator voice ever, along with Morgan Freeman :)

Hmm, I guess I'll get the BBC version since it's supposedly the superior one but I did really like the narration of Sigourney Weaver.

I've been wanting to get this for quite awhile now and couldn't find a good deal on ebay. Just placed an order for the BD one.

It's amazing how much easier it is to go with deals when you have Amazon Prime.

$47.24 shipped for me

it was in my gold box for $52.24 + DVDsave5 - $47.24

I couldn't pass it up

Crap. Now I've got to email them to get my $5 back. The crappy thing about Prime is that as long as your order isn't a preorder it instantly goes to shipping soon status to where you can't cancel or change an item.

I heard the Blu-ray US version contains all the behind the scenes, documentary material as well. We really enjoyed those, but I hear the BBC version does not have these. If that's the case, I'd opt for the US version. Anyone have thoughts on this?

[quote name='xcoax']Crap. Now I've got to email them to get my $5 back. The crappy thing about Prime is that as long as your order isn't a preorder it instantly goes to shipping soon status to where you can't cancel or change an item.[/QUOTE]

Well, I got my refund email back, and I misquoted the new price as $54.99, meaning I only got $4.96 back. Weird that they didn't check to make sure that was right or not... I'm almost tempted to just email about some random thing now and see if they'll give me money back now.

[quote name='hurley7715']im attempting to use the DVDSAVE5 code when using a visa but its not taking it... any ideas?[/quote]

It has to be the Amazon Visa and it has to be at least $50 on DVDs (regular, BD or HD-DVD). The nice thing about the BOGOs they had a while back is that the $50 was calculated on the pre-BOGO amount. :D

[quote name='dboy81']I heard the Blu-ray US version contains all the behind the scenes, documentary material as well. We really enjoyed those, but I hear the BBC version does not have these. If that's the case, I'd opt for the US version. Anyone have thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/983/planetearth_us.html

Sounds like the US version has 4 extra short vignettes, but at the cost of video and audio, and is still missing the big extras from the DVD version. Ultimately depends on if 30+ extra minutes on the US version is worth the tradeoffs.

Deep Discount has just lowered their price on Planet Earth Blu Ray to be pennies cheaper than Best Buy and Amazon. Now it should be no tax and free shipping for anyone ordering! Unlike Amazon that charges taxes to certain states.

[quote name='xcoax']Crap. Now I've got to email them to get my $5 back. The crappy thing about Prime is that as long as your order isn't a preorder it instantly goes to shipping soon status to where you can't cancel or change an item.[/quote]
I've noticed that before! It's rather annoying at times. What I do to help with it is turn on one-click shopping, which always gives you a 90-minute window to make changes before the order actually starts being prepared for shipping. Unfortunately, during special offers where you need to select more than one item to get the promotion, it doesn't work.

[quote name='SuperFox']The HD-DVD version is now $54.95...when will it go to a fire-sale price?[/QUOTE]

I've heard rumblings that many retailers have been told they are going to get reimbursed for HDDVDs if they are sent back, so you might not see "fire sales" just some moderate discounts.

bread's done
Back