Platinum Wavebirds - $20 shipped

Foo228

CAGiversary!
Feedback
124 (98%)
@ ConsumerDepot (Pricegrabber affilliate)
spacer.gif

OOS. ouch.

I have to add that I HATE the Platinum GCN Controllers. The paint rubs off on the sides of the sticks and the R and L buttons. I have all Gray NON-Painted ones.

I used to see them come in at Gamestop all worn off around the stick, yuck.

[quote name='psyanide82']Only 1 in-stock.[/quote]

crap...didnt notice that

[quote name='IbiteHRD']thanks op. Nabbed the last one.[/quote]

next time i guess everyone should "jump the gun" and test their luck

[quote name='Nephilim']OOS. ouch.

I have to add that I HATE the Platinum GCN Controllers. The paint rubs off on the sides of the sticks and the R and L buttons. I have all Gray NON-Painted ones.

I used to see them come in at Gamestop all worn off around the stick, yuck.[/quote]

Never heard of this happening...can't wait til it happens to my friend tho :lol:

Nintendo needs to have an online store to sell GC games and accessories. The demand is there but retail stores can't carry stuff for obsolete systems.

[quote name='Archon29']Nintendo needs to have an online store to sell GC games and accessories. The demand is there but retail stores can't carry stuff for obsolete systems.[/quote]

Wouldn't mind seeing it as well :roll:

It would help support their massive fan base..guess they just can't figure it out ;)

To be fair to the Platinum Wavebird, I've had it for years and it the paint remains intact. I don't use it religiously, but enough to gauge the quality.

[quote name='Archon29']Nintendo needs to have an online store to sell GC games and accessories. The demand is there but retail stores can't carry stuff for obsolete systems.[/quote]
They do. But when everything's gone, they laugh and tell you you're SOL and recommend you go to GameStop or eBay. :(

[quote name='Foo228']Wouldn't mind seeing it as well :roll:

It would help support their massive fan base..guess they just can't figure it out ;)[/quote]
They are always a step behind in something. ("Fans don't want online gaming" Yea, we don't want the best AI ever created, the human mind, in games... :roll:)

I don't think MS or Sony offer this type of service either though.

[quote name='psyanide82']To be fair to the Platinum Wavebird, I've had it for years and it the paint remains intact. I don't use it religiously, but enough to gauge the quality.[/QUOTE]

If you look UNDER the sticks along the part where it meets with the Platinum on the plastic I bet you will see some of the paint that has transferred to the stick.

I was really surpirsed when I saw them, granted they were used hard, but paint transfer on a controller is lame.

The Gray ones are not painted. They are molded that color.

[quote name='Tsukento']They do. But when everything's gone, they laugh and tell you you're SOL and recommend you go to GameStop or eBay. :([/QUOTE]
What else do you expect them to do? They aren't going to produce more of the items unless the demand is truly there, and since people are moving on to the Wii, it won't be. They'll sell what they've got left, but if restocking would require putting an item back into production after a few years of dormancy - and for a relatively small production run, no less - there isn't much incentive to do that.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']What else do you expect them to do? They aren't going to produce more of the items unless the demand is truly there, and since people are moving on to the Wii, it won't be. They'll sell what they've got left, but if restocking would require putting an item back into production after a few years of dormancy - and for a relatively small production run, no less - there isn't much incentive to do that.[/quote]

Well, that's just silly talk. There is plenty of demand for Wavebirds. I KNOW I'm not the only one who HATES that freakin' classic controller. Wavebird all the way for old NES/SNES/(especially)N64/Gamecube games. I really would like to pick up a couple more just in case the one I have breaks (again).

I've got to say the Wavebird is one of the best controllers ever made...it's a shame I can't seem to find any for a decent price.

As for the paint coming off the platinum...it's hardly worth complaining about. I've used my current one for a few years and there is minimal wear on it.

Damn I wish I got this sooner, I just paid $50 on ebay for a new sealed one :( I'm shocked that Nintendo has ceased making these considering the wii plays the cube games just fine (and the wavebird is an alt to the classic controllers)

The Wavebird was being clearanced out like crazy in 2006, they would have had no reason to make more of them when there are probably still oodles of corded GC controllers out there (including their online store).

It's funny considering the demand is there for Wavebird controllers, they sold very well and Nintendo had once said that even with the Wii out, they'd still stick to at least having controllers out for a while. Even now, some stores don't carry any GameCube controllers at all.

[quote name='Tsukento']It's funny considering the demand is there for Wavebird controllers, they sold very well and Nintendo had once said that even with the Wii out, they'd still stick to at least having controllers out for a while. Even now, some stores don't carry any GameCube controllers at all.[/quote]

It's a shame as Nintendo invests in other "casual appeals" but why not support old, compatible controllers?

knowing Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if they rereleased an updated version of the wavebird (say, in white to match the wii) at a $50 MSRP...

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']knowing Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if they rereleased an updated version of the wavebird (say, in white to match the wii) at a $50 MSRP...[/quote]
This is Nintendo, not Sony or Microsoft. None of their recent accessories really go over the $35 line.

[quote name='Tsukento']This is Nintendo, not Sony or Microsoft. None of their recent accessories really go over the $35 line.[/quote]

The Wii Remote is $40.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']You may want to keep checking that link. I just picked up another "last" Wavebird for $20.[/quote]

so the deals not dead? :cool:

i heard these are still out there but distributors are selling them more than what they would normally sell em for. im guessing nintendo will re-release them before black friday or maybe before Smash Bros. Wii comes out.

Would be worth getting one if you don't have one and plan on using one for Smash Bros. I don't see how well the Wiimote will work with that game, I could be wrong but I just think it'll naturally feel better on the GC pad.

[quote name='Tsukento']This is Nintendo, not Sony or Microsoft. None of their recent accessories really go over the $35 line.[/quote]

Wii remote is $40 as someone already said, I just had to :lol: at that... especially when you consider that as a "complete" accessory, you need the nunchuck @20, which brings the cost of that accessory/controller to $60.

You're right, Nintendo isn't Sony or MS - they're making a shitload of money on their hardware & accessories.

I got into the Gamecube phase after the Wavebirds were clearanced at many stores.

I see them in a somewhat abundance for $35 @ TRU locally, but I can't pull myself to pay that much for it.

I picked up 4 at a small town Wal-Mart for 18.00 USD a week ago.
Because it was Wal-Mart YMMV. The corded controllers were 15.00 USD

BTW- This is my first post.

Game Crazy sells them used for $14.99 ($13.49 MVP), if you can find one. If you can't find one have them call around to other stores and have them shipped to your Game Crazy. If all else fails special ordering is only $6.

[quote name='Carmine']I picked up 4 at a small town Wal-Mart for 18.00 USD a week ago.
Because it was Wal-Mart YMMV. The corded controllers were 15.00 USD

BTW- This is my first post.[/quote]

happy to see you've made a post..;)

not to be an ass, but i wonder how many "lurkers" there are on here

now to go back somewhat on topic....i could see wavebirds coming the "in" thing around the time brawl comes out

[quote name='Foo228']happy to see you've made a post..;)

not to be an ass, but i wonder how many "lurkers" there are on here
[/QUOTE]

if we have 100,000 members....i'd guess more than 2/3 are "lurking" (or just reading the deals)

OT: if someone has the sku, we could get the EB/GS search going...they're only $16.99 there.

[quote name='Foo228']

now to go back somewhat on topic....i could see wavebirds coming the "in" thing around the time brawl comes out[/quote]

maybe i should hold onto my 4 sealed ones until then :D

[quote name='Apossum']if we have 100,000 members....i'd guess more than 2/3 are "lurking" (or just reading the deals)

OT: if someone has the sku, we could get the EB/GS search going...they're only $16.99 there.[/quote]

true...;)

for the ot statement, i looked up "gamecube" on gamestop and only got the corded controllers...didn't know that they sold gamecubes for $40 though (about time!)

[quote name='monkeydeew']maybe i should hold onto my 4 sealed ones until then :D[/quote]

well as shown in this thread - there is desire for them but when brawl comes out its just gunna be bigger...10x bigger :hot: haha

the only place in town I could find wavebirds today was TRU - they had 15-20 at $35.
I used the %20 off coupon to get it for just under 30 after tax. Figured I might as well get one now b/c they might be gone for good by brawl time.

[quote name='pablo9000']the only place in town I could find wavebirds today was TRU - they had 15-20 at $35.
I used the %20 off coupon to get it for just under 30 after tax. Figured I might as well get one now b/c they might be gone for good by brawl time.[/quote]

Man... I wish I could find places around me that still have new wavebirds. I completely missed out on the gamecube but I recently bought a Wii. There's tons of gamecube games I want to play but the only wavebirds I can find are used and the new ones on ebay that sell for upwards of $45 to $50.

Anyone in the Southern California area know of any stores that still have the wavebird. At this point, I'd love to just find some new ones at MSRP. (how bad does that sound?)

bread's done
Back