PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
Some will say the 1000 is better, and some will say the 2000. I personally like the 2000, and would never go back to the Phat for any reason. From the first time I held the 1000, I thought how bad it felt in my hands. So from that day forward, I just kept saying, they've got to do a slim model, as I just didn't like the 1000.

I sold my LE white Assassin's creed bundle, and it pretty much covered my 2000 import cost, that was super sweet. Now the OLED is really something special, and I don't blame anyone for going that route, but for me, the 2000 screen is pretty damn good, and nothing to laugh at. And besides the screen, I think the 2000 improves on the 1000 in every other possible way. Just a better system all around.
only things it has over it are supposed battery life and of course the micro usb charger instead of the proprietary one for convenience.

only things it has over it are supposed battery life and of course the micro usb charger instead of the proprietary one for convenience.
It's thinner, lighter, feels better in my hands, due the the thinner profile. The start and select buttons are better(as is the PS button), as they are easier to press now. They moved the notification light from the front to the top(as it is rather annoying during game play), the cart slot was centered along the top, the grips on the year where widened and now have a matte finish, and the touch surface shrunk slightly, to prevent accidental presses, and of course the USB charger and better battery that you already mentioned.

I would say the 2000 has more than a few improvements over the 1000, but that is also my opinion.

Psycho Pass is a rather disappointing game for me who's a big fan of the anime series. This game is like a cheap rip-off from Steins;Gate with different characters. The story is the same and boring and you need to read it over and over again. Choices are rather random and don't really have a real impact on the endings. And for God's sake, the anime was filled with mysteries and actions, while the game doesn't even have anything remotely related to being a detective. I mean I can even check for clues in the freaking Root Letter! I really wonder which genius thought it was a good idea to take the action/detective elements from Psycho Pass!

do note that this varies on a game by game basis. older games were designed to look better with the oled screen in mind. Newer games to take the lcd screen in mind.
On the topic of recent games.....After starting Dungeon Builders on a 1000 and moving to a 2000 midgame I really noticed the difference. The game colors really popped on the 1000 and while good were very muted on the 2000. It didn't ruin the game but I did long for the OLED screen. The rest of the improvements to the 2000 are pretty significant but I do wish they would have kept the OLED screen.

On the topic of recent games.....After starting Dungeon Builders on a 1000 and moving to a 2000 midgame I really noticed the difference. The game colors really popped on the 1000 and while good were very muted on the 2000. It didn't ruin the game but I did long for the OLED screen. The rest of the improvements to the 2000 are pretty significant but I do wish they would have kept the OLED screen.
Yeah, the colors often display very differently between the 1000 and the 2000, to the point where the same game looks like it's using a different palette depending on the system. There are plenty of comparison videos out there showing this effect. The difference is so great that it's honestly a matter of preference, and if you're already used to one model you might even think the color is distorted on the other. The contrast is way better on the 1000, though.

One example (turn the volume down!):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_dB82DmHU

Yeah, if they ever offer a 3000 with the 2000 features, and the 1000 OLED screen, I'm all in, no question about it. LOL

Decided to pick up Vertical Drop Heroes HD today for vita.
Seems like a fun little rogue lite game for $5.59 with Plus.

Also it is really small download, only 40MB.

At the time that the OLED was included in the 1000 model, OLED technology was cutting-edge, and had not had time to benefit from recent advances in the technology. This made it prohibitively expensive. The only reason it was included in the Vita was as a test-bed for promoting the technology, and because the Vita was a much smaller device that did not need a large screen. Sony's plans for making OLED TVs quickly fell by the wayside.

Of course, since then LG has picked up where Sony left off, and developed a series of OLED televisions that are rapidly becoming some of the most desirable high-end screens available. In the intervening time, LG has focused their OLED technology development to address some of the drawbacks of OLED screens, while making the technology more affordable to produce for larger displays.

In terms of games, one of OLED technology's biggest advantages is some of the fastest refresh rates in the business. OLED screens are capable of base-line refresh rates with almost no ghosting whatsoever. This is a big advantage over standard LED screens, which have always had issues with this. Games in particular need faster framerates than most other media, and benefit significantly from high refresh rates and minimal ghosting.

I'm holding off on upgrading my primary living-room screen until OLED TVs become more affordable. LEDs still have a slight advantage in maximum brightness, but that's now the only real edge they have. Every other feature leans heavily towards OLED.

Decided to pick up Vertical Drop Heroes HD today for vita.
Seems like a fun little rogue lite game for $5.59 with Plus.

Also it is really small download, only 40MB.
gets boring fast .. i think i had it on steam for years

funny thing is tempted to buy it..... too bad it wasnt 2 or 3

The LED screen that they included in the 2000 model is a good LED screen. It's not as though it is poor tech, it's just different from the OLED original. It will have overall higher brightness, but it will also have a lower contrast ratio, a very slight amount of light bleeding around the edges, and not quite as high of a refresh rate. In the case of the Vita, the refresh rate issue isn't going to be that big of a deal. The LED they install in the 2000 model isn't some rinky-dink screen with an unusually low refresh rate. They knew it would be used primarily for games, so it's refresh rate is equal to the task. The biggest visual difference between the 1000 and the 2000 is the brightness of the 2000, and the contrast ratio of the 1000.

OLED's benefit from some of the best contrast ratios in the business. Thanks to the nature of the technology, OLED screens provide a "true" black, which allows for them to excel when it comes to handling the darkest of colors. A game with bright, vibrant colors and deep, inky black will really pop on the 1000's OLED screen.

As many users here have pointed out, it is common for developers to take the switch in the screen into account. Earlier games for the Vita often focused on providing plenty of higher-contrast visuals with plenty of blacks to highlight the strengths of the OLED screen. Later Vita games don't tend to focus their visuals on that. As such, it is not uncommon for later Vita games to look "better" on the 2000, while the earlier games favor the 1000. This comes directly from development choices in the aesthetic styles to better match the hardware they were working with. Perfectly normal and prudent behavior on the part of the developers.

I've actually noticed this while using my PSTV. I have a somewhat older LED screen in my living room. Not a bad one, but a far cry from an OLED. (or an LED with local dimming) Often times older Vita games will look a little "washed out" when I play them on my PSTV. Newer Vita games don't suffer from this as much, and look fine playing them on my television.

Lost Song, mind you. Not the newest one, but also not the oldest - Nice and inbetween.

For what it's worth, Lost Song is a good game, too. Plays very different from Hollow Fragment (which was...painful).
I found HF as pretty painful too... but hey the new HR is pretty painful too!

Do you mean because of the performance issues in the Vita version?
I actually bought the ps4 CE and found it a serious setback in the series. I fully enjoyed LS with the flying and not-so-grindy story, but HR is really uninspiring to me with basically the same story at Aincrad all over again.

Do you mean because of the performance issues in the Vita version?
No - Moreso the story overall, and the actual gameplay. I had no performance issues whatsoever playing it on the Vita. It was just poorly implemented and clearly a half-hearted attempt to make a game just to cash in on the success of the anime. While the combat could have been great, and strategic with switching threat, etc, it was poorly explained in-game and even with an understanding of how the mechanic worked it was just... frustrating. Not challenging, mind you. Frustrating.

Looks like I missed the bus on that one. Been looking to find the LE of that one for awhile now at a decent price. Maybe I ask how much you paid for it?
gamefly has keep it for 19.99

and at least for me it shows VERY LOW chance in even renting it...

restarted gamefly today and not a shock but they sent me nothing lol

seems they sent

Gal Gun: Double Peace still got another slot open

For those who have Nonary Games pre-ordered, or want to pre-order it, here's a great chance to get it cheap upon release,

dIGs45F.png

After looking around for some games, I noticed the code works with pre-orders, so it led me to this listing,

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pre-order-zero-escape-the-nonary-games-for-ps4-or-vita

Tried on both, and the codes work for both.

And the best part is that since they're both normally over $34.99 retail price, it qualifies for free shipping.

Have at it people! :D

Just to make it clear,

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games Vita Pre-Order $19.99+tax+free shipping

Note: Code doesn't appear to work if you make a new account.  Seemingly just for existing accounts.

For those who have Nonary Games pre-ordered, or want to pre-order it, here's a great chance to get it cheap upon release,
dIGs45F.png

After looking around for some games, I noticed the code works with pre-orders, so it led me to this listing,

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pre-order-zero-escape-the-nonary-games-for-ps4-or-vita

Tried on both, and the codes work for both.

And the best part is that since they're both normally over $34.99 retail price, it qualifies for free shipping.

Have at it people! :D

Just to make it clear,

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games Vita Pre-Order $19.99+tax+free shipping
Hmm what kinda game is this? I might be interested but also.... I kinda need PS+

damn, I need a year of PS Plus.  Just tried to buy it but now see it says at the bottom 'Offer is not eligible for Groupon promo codes or other discounts."

While flipping games at GameStop tonight, I was lucky enough to find a copy of Sword Art Online: Lost Song new for the $9.99 sale price. It was gutted, but the inventory checker said that there wasn't a copy of the game within an 80 mile radius. Glad it was wrong!

bread's done
Back