PS3 to have same launch price as PS2?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Report says Sony will price the PS3 under 40,000 yen, raising speculation that it might launch at the same price as its previous two consoles.

Last week, the Mainichi Daily News quoted Sony Computer Entertainment officials as saying the PlayStation 3 would be priced at under 50,000 yen ($465.58). Now it appears that the console may be even cheaper when it goes on sale next year.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/24/news_6126410.html

Cool. The cheaper, the better I say. But it still blows my mind how Sony can make it much cheaper if all of their specs are true.

Considering the cost of Blu ray drives and the amount they spent on the Cell processor, Sony will, this generation, be Microsoft. They are going to have superior (supposedly) technology, but they will take a loss with each console sold. This technology now is more expensive than DVD was when the PS2 launched.

Every console from every company is making a loss. Not just this generation, but every generation. They depend on games to make up for it. I highly doubt that the PS2 will sell for less than 500 with the specs released so far.

While I would love for it to be the same price as previous sony systems...I find it hard to belive they will launch with the specifications listed, at that price...the 2 graphics cards alone now are $1000, and that doesn't include the blue ray drive, or the cell chip....

Like Turbopro1 said it's all about getting the installed base and then making your money back on games. A low price point means you have more people to actually buy the games you put out, if sony can remain number one they stand to start making money on the thing by the system's 3rd year and if this system is as powerful as it might be from the specs it could be a viable platform for 4 or 5 years.

bread's done
Back