Pstwo predictions

smalien1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I need predictions on

1. Will EB's be insanely crowded the release day due to double realese of GTA and PStwo?

2. WIll the first wave be shittastic like the first wave of PS2s?

I think that this version is going to actually work better than the other versions. I think its going to also boost the sales of ps2, but not make any kind of crowd, because all the hard core people that would wait in the lines probably already have a ps2.

[quote name='StealthySeal']1- no... not for the ps2 only for gta

2- no... they will prob be fine[/quote]

If I preorder the system I'll probably wait a day or two before I go and get it.
I already have GTA preordered to be shipped to my doorstop.

Acually my mailbox is about 25 feet away from my doorstop so whatever, I wonder if a company said that if you could sue them for false advertising

[quote name='zewone']No. You should be able to stroll in there at a decent time. Don't head in to late then your asking for trouble.[/quote]

Even if I preorder? They only holld for two days but...

I have a feeling that the new PStwo is going to bomb.
I see the whole 'we don't care about the HD anymore' really back fireing on them.

I see Sony pulling the PStwo shortly after to remodel it and add HD suport back in. Or pull it and re-market it as a slimed down $100 off-line PS2 and sell the curent PS2 as the $150 Online version.

GTA sales thou will be HUGE.

Keep in mind the PSTwo can not play blue discs. That and the fact that Sony is giving up on their hard drive already has me not caring much about the new system.

Nobody outside of the FF/HD loader crowed gives a shit about the Hard Drive. Doesnt matter.

My only question is when the screen will come out

[quote name='Scahom1']Keep in mind the PSTwo can not play blue discs. That and the fact that Sony is giving up on their hard drive already has me not caring much about the new system.[/quote]

Really? I never heard about the blue discs. I have a hard time believing it. I think it has the same list of non-playables as the current PS2. I don't care about the hard drive, though.

[quote name='Scahom1']Keep in mind the PSTwo can not play blue discs. That and the fact that Sony is giving up on their hard drive already has me not caring much about the new system.[/quote]

Where does it say that it cannot play blue bottom disc, that might stop me trading mine in.

No blue discs? Is this confirmed or a rumor?
If HD's become absoultley neccasary in future I'll sell PSteo to re-buy a PS2 and hopefulley not get my crappy one back!

CANNOT PLAY BLUE DISCS?!?! WHAAAAAAAAAA?!

Where did you hear that? (I'm not saying you're wrong just yet, I just haven't heard anything about that myself)

There's no way they'd release a PSTwo that can't play blue-bottom discs. You, sir, have been misinformed.

Goto Eb's website, and look at the format it supports, it says CD-ROM's and my friend Blue Discs are just that.... check your sources next time.

Woop!

I like when people pull things completely out of their ass without a shred of proof.

Also I seriously doubt the majority of people without PS2 at this point give a rats ass about lack of HDD support. The PStwo is massivly more portable than than the original system and I'd suspect more durable as long as you dont specifically try to snap it in half.

I was just worried about it not playing Blue-bottomed discs and PS1 games, but I believe people here. I'm probably gonna wait until the end of this month or at least until it is released so I don't lose my PS2 for a month.

[quote name='CapAmerica']I have a feeling that the new PStwo is going to bomb.
I see the whole 'we don't care about the HD anymore' really back fireing on them.

I see Sony pulling the PStwo shortly after to remodel it and add HD suport back in. Or pull it and re-market it as a slimed down $100 off-line PS2 and sell the curent PS2 as the $150 Online version.

GTA sales thou will be HUGE.[/quote]

The public has demonstrated they don't particularly care about the hard drive, so why should Sony? Seriously, by all indications the PS2 HDD has an installed base of less than 2% of the North American PS2 base. This isn't a big driver for software developers to go to the expense of supporting the drive. Also, the great majority of PS2 online users do not have the HDD so that is no impairment to that sector. Why would the PStwo need to be labeled as an 'off-line' system? It has the Ethernet and modem ports built-in so it every bit the equal of the earlier models for nearly all of the existing and coming online games. The tiny fraction of games with hard drive support in the US can be counted on the fingers of one hand of a drill press operator.

For 99% of all the PS2 units sold in the North American market the PStwo provide identical functionality. The great majority of prospective buyers will no more miss the hard drive bay than they will the 1394 port missing from current models. The addition of the IR receiver has proven much more practical since more users care about its facility as a DVD player (in addition to game playing) than they do about Sony's one-time dream of supplanting the PC as the standard home computer.

The PStwo will do good business, eventually bringing the PS2 library's cost of entry below $100 as its PSone predecessors did for its library. There won't be crowds in the stores for the thing since the market for the PS2 in general is fairly saturated but the price will insure that every last person who cares about PS2 games will have no excuse not to have one.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='CapAmerica']I have a feeling that the new PStwo is going to bomb.

GTA sales thou will be HUGE.[/quote]

The public has demonstrated they don't particularly care about the hard drive, so why should Sony? Seriously, by all indications the PS2 HDD has an installed base of less than 2% of the North American PS2 base. This isn't a big driver for software developers to go to the expense of supporting the drive. Also, the great majority of PS2 online users do not have the HDD so that is no impairment to that sector. Why would the PStwo need to be labeled as an 'off-line' system? It has the Ethernet and modem ports built-in so it every bit the equal of the earlier models for nearly all of the existing and coming online games. The tiny fraction of games with hard drive support in the US can be counted on the fingers of one hand of a drill press operator.

For 99% of all the PS2 units sold in the North American market the PStwo provide identical functionality. The great majority of prospective buyers will no more miss the hard drive bay than they will the 1394 port missing from current models. The addition of the IR receiver has proven much more practical since more users care about its facility as a DVD player (in addition to game playing) than they do about Sony's one-time dream of supplanting the PC as the standard home computer.

The PStwo will do good business, eventually bringing the PS2 library's cost of entry below $100 as its PSone predecessors did for its library. There won't be crowds in the stores for the thing since the market for the PS2 in general is fairly saturated but the price will insure that every last person who cares about PS2 games will have no excuse not to have one.[/quote]

You should submit that to IGN or something, it's very well written.

[quote name='smalien1']This may have fewer problems with a vertical stand, in which case I may get one and save some space.[/quote]

You base this upon what?

Look at the dimensions of this thing. Why would you have any need to stand it up? Even as a top loader the actual size is shallow it won't need any more vertical access space than an original PS2 did for proper ventilation. If you want to improve heat expression through the bottom area you can just place a spacer under each end to raise it an inch or so off the surface it lives on.

During my personal experience, my old PS2 worked better while standing vertically. I understand that it may not matter with this one, but I think I'll be storing it vertically.

[quote name='Trakan']GameStop has the date 10/12/04, and EB has it as 10/14/04[/quote]

Are those dates correct, still? I've talked with a few Sony reps yesterday, and they're tellin' me the PStwo's release date is on November 1st...

-V

the second a boot disc is made to allow for imports to be played is when I will pick one up (hoping that since its a flip top someone will be able to bypass region protection)

I will not get rid of my Original PS2 as I really like the hard drive and would not get rid of it due to that reason alone

[quote name='FrankySox']I predict that the PSTwo isn't even real and neither is GTA[/quote]
:rofl:
After reading all of this jabbering back and forth, that was truly the cherry on the cake.

You base this upon what?

Look at the dimensions of this thing. Why would you have any need to stand it up? Even as a top loader the actual size is shallow it won't need any more vertical access space than an original PS2 did for proper ventilation. If you want to improve heat expression through the bottom area you can just place a spacer under each end to raise it an inch or so off the surface it lives on.

I think he's saying that using it verically will save *him* space. And I'm fairly sure it would have less problems doing that since it looks like a Saturn style spindle where it grips the disc, whereas the PS2 had documented problems operating verticly.

Anyway, is there a site with a good hands on review of the psTwo? With pros and cons and what won't work? Beyond the obvious no hard drive.

[quote name='CapAmerica']I have a feeling that the new PStwo is going to bomb.
I see the whole 'we don't care about the HD anymore' really back fireing on them.[/quote]

Yeah, all of those people who don't already own a PS2 and want FFXI for PS2 are going to be pissed :roll:

I think it was a moderately good idea to drop out HDD support. It was a pretty useless peripheral, IMO, because most people don't have it, and thus almost all games don't support it.

The whole problem of the orignal playstaion 2 was that older systems would wear down and were not able to play blue disc games, this one should play all playstation 2 games without a problem, blue disc games are made by sony so they can't stop supporting them. Trust me games by EA sports and other big manufactuers they cannot do that or else they could be liable for some serious legal issues.

[quote name='dafoomie']
You base this upon what?

I think he's saying that using it verically will save *him* space. And I'm fairly sure it would have less problems doing that since it looks like a Saturn style spindle where it grips the disc, whereas the PS2 had documented problems operating verticly.

Anyway, is there a site with a good hands on review of the psTwo? With pros and cons and what won't work? Beyond the obvious no hard drive.[/quote]

I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't have a binding spindle, even if it wasn't intended to operate vertically. It's a common trait for data grade drives of that size. Without it jitter can send read errors through the roof. That can be acceptable for a Red Book only audio player but very little else can function that way.

I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't have a binding spindle, even if it wasn't intended to operate vertically. It's a common trait for data grade drives of that size. Without it jitter can send read errors through the roof. That can be acceptable for a Red Book only audio player but very little else can function that way.
Yeah, its pretty standard, I'm just saying in comparison to the tray loading PS2, it'll operate better vertically. Its pictured on the box in the vertical position with a stand, I dunno if it actually includes one or not. I could see how it could save someone space if they have only that much width next to their TV or something, but I'd just use it flat.

I'm definitely going to trade in my PS2 and 5 games for one, but I'd like to find out the potential drawbacks first... I can't find much on that anywhere.

bread's done
Back