question for others playing ps2 games on ps3

tothjm

CAG Veteran
hey all, i kept the ps3 system that i bought and i ahd a question for others about playing ps2 games on the ps3

i am hooked up with HDMI on a 1080p LCD samsung

the game in question is the new dragon ball Z budokai tenkaichi 2... now when i play it on regular ps2, the lines are more smooth, and ive noticed playing it on ps3, the lines are more jagged and im wondering if this is the case for anyone else? are the graphics actaully slightly worse for anyone else that they have noticed?

it is playing in 480p right now.. i have no tried to switch over to the composite cables to see if there is a difference cuz i figured well HDMI is the best quality possible right now and it doesnt make sense that composite would be any better in this weird respect?

so again if anyone has noticed anything like this about playing ps2 games and a drop in graphic quality and or like more jaggeder lines ( yes i know thats not a word hehe ) please confirm this so im not just crazy and if anyone knows if a firmware update can fix this or not.... thanks

Its not just you, its the PS3. FF12 on PS3 looks like shit to me also. Hopefully they fix it with a firmware update.

that really sucks man becuase FF12 was the next thing i was going to play =(

i dont understand hardware emulation to this extent, could someone that knows about this stuff tell us if the graphics could be fix simply with a firmware update? or do we need new ps3s hehe...thanks for quick reply tho goku

do you normaly play your ps2 in 480p? try 480i. I think the wii looks better in 480i becuse its alittle blury and acts as a type of AA.

well i have the native ps3 resolution set to 1080p, it just auto goes to 480p for ps2 games

i can try it but i dont think it would make a difference since the difference bettwen 480i and 480p is only that in p all lines are displayed a tthe same time where as in "i" it is every other line... *shrug*

thanks for the suggestion tho i will try it at another time =)

thanks for the link... ya im tired as hell i missed that entire part after he said wii... sorry

for now i think i will wait to see if sony cant give an update about fixing that

thanks aurther,

itsnot that sort of issues... becuase if i hookup my ps2 with the same settings, the graphics are fine again =) its just the silly ps3 im thinking

Even if it did upconvert, the clearer picture is just betraying the graphical problems in the games. It's not the PS3's fault, it's the games'. :)

i dunno if you guys dont have ps3s its hard to say really =)

i have played the same game, on my hdtv, on a ps2, but with compostite cable, and on the ps2 it always looks better, i may try to switch to composite, and 480i until they decide to upconvert games and just for now deal with it ;)

update:

ok so i hooked up the ps3 with the loser composite cables, and sure enough in 480i it returns to its normal look, i dont think its so much the fact that it was in 480p but i think the hdmi cable may have just improved its looks ( or made worse depending on how you look at it )

so for now until sony can fix this stupid crap... i guess its best to just play ps2 games on the ps3 with composite cable in 480i....sigh

[quote name='tothjm']update:

ok so i hooked up the ps3 with the loser composite cables, and sure enough in 480i it returns to its normal look, i dont think its so much the fact that it was in 480p but i think the hdmi cable may have just improved its looks ( or made worse depending on how you look at it )

so for now until sony can fix this stupid crap... i guess its best to just play ps2 games on the ps3 with composite cable in 480i....sigh[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem. Over hdmi FFXII looks TERRIBLE, but if I play it on my PS2 through an S-video cable it looks fine. It's the same 1080p HDTV, so I know it's not that I'm not used to playing it on an HDTV. The PS3 seems to have some problem with outputting PS2 games over HDMI. It really sucks because I was hoping to eliminate my PS2 from my entertainment center... and I just went through the hassle of transferring my PS2 saves to my PS3...

i dunno that its the ps3 anymore.... if you use teh composite cable that came with ps3 to play any FF12 in 480i..it looks exactly the same as ps2...

when it goes over HDMI and becomes digital and goes to 480i.. the colors and such are better, but the once blurred objects and text are now not so blured and that is what is making it seemingly look like crap

i have heard they are releasing firmware to add DVD movie upscaling... maybe thats a footstep toward ps2 upscaling or hell, just plain upscaling everything to your top reso would be nice.... the only problem i see with that is that some games outputting in 1080p might be too much for the ps3 graphics card to handle... unsure until its tested :)

bread's done
Back