Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Caliburn']I wonder if BB is becoming more lax since many CAGs scored big at BB?[/quote]

I see them becoming more controlling. Although I was successful in getting what I wanted this last drop, at both stores the cashier called for help and I felt like I was pretty close to getting denied - and this was only buying one of each. Maybe this is because there are more new cashiers this time of year, and they get nervous when something scans for $0.01.

Also, I saw a blueshirt that appeared to be pulling guides the day of the drop, while in the past I've seen guides linger on the shelves for days or weeks after the drop.

I got a decent haul today. DMC 4, Army of Two, God of War CoO, Rock Band, Enemy Territory, and four of the hardcover Phantom Hourglass. I left a bunch of all of them (except for PH, I only left one), and there were a few I just didn't want. I was hoping for a FF Tactics and Orange Box but I'm still happy with what I got.

I scored one of the Assassin's Creed LE guides, which was the only guide I wanted out of this drop, as well as multiples of the rest.

It was hilarious, since they had a fully stocked guide shelf(almost all of the guides in ONE spot)and by the time I left, they had HUGE gaps in it. :lol:

I got a shitload of the hardcover ones(over 10 total) and a slew of the other better trade fodder ones(Orange Box, for one).

I'm too tired to count them all tonight, but chances are my TL will be updated LATE tomorrow night.

I'm working at the one polling place for the election tomorrow. 12+hour day....:whistle2:#

Now, I'm off to grab a quick bite to eat, play a lil LBP and I'm off to bed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I scored one of the Assassin's Creed LE guides...as well as multiples of the rest. It was hilarious, since they had a fully stocked guide shelf(almost all of the guides in ONE spot)and by the time I left, they had HUGE gaps in it. :lol:[/quote]

Hilarious, indeed. ROFL.

Have fun at the polls tomorrow. Apparently you've already elected yourself Chief Guide Redistributionist. :lol:

I scored few guides today :)

Assassin's Creed LE(hardcover) ===== Bestbuy exclusive version still full price
Bully: Schloarship Edition
Codes & Cheats Spring 2008
Codes & Cheats Summer 2008
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
GoW: Chains Of Olympus
Orange Box
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Secret Codes 2008 Vol. 1

===========================================
PES 2008 is $0.03 :)

Made my first ever penny guide score at Movie Gallery when checking out the 3.99 sale.

Grandia III (!!!)
Saints Row x2
Gears of War x3
Spiderman 3 x3

Movie Gallery(aka one of the other companies under the Hollywood Video/Gamecrazy corporate umbrella)pennies guides too? I've never seen any guides at the Movie Gallery or Hollywood Video stores by me, so I'm guessing that is highly, highly YMMV.

[quote name='JTHuffy']Made my first ever penny guide score at Movie Gallery when checking out the 3.99 sale.

Grandia III (!!!)
Saints Row x2
Gears of War x3
Spiderman 3 x3[/QUOTE]

WE'VE GOT MOVIE GUIDES!

Picked up some guides after finally stopping by BB:

GoW:CoO
Bourne Conspiracy
Orange Box
Army of Two
Assasin's Creed
FFT:WotL

The clerk scanned the first guide about 5 times to make sure that the .01 price was correct. He had a white shirt on so I'm not sure if he was a regular employee. Anyways, I just told him that the shelf tags showed the .01 price and he scanned the rest.

When I got home, I checked the guides and noticed that the Assasin's Creed was only the LE artbook. WTF? In my moment of hapiness after finding AC, I didn't notice that the guide was missing. #-oIt was supposed to be bundled with the guide ala Army of Two, right?

For some reason, I feel cheated. :lol:

[quote name='emg28']When I got home, I checked the guides and noticed that the Assasin's Creed was only the LE artbook. WTF? In my moment of hapiness after finding AC, I didn't notice that the guide was missing. #-oIt was supposed to be bundled with the guide ala Army of Two, right?[/quote]

The art book typically comes in a shrink-wrapped bundle with the guide. Until the drop, I've seen both the standalone guide or the bundle at BB. After the drop, I began seeing art books by themselves. It almost looked like someone (a blueshirt?) had deliberately separated the art books from the guides.

[quote name='emg28']The clerk scanned the first guide about 5 times to make sure that the .01 price was correct. He had a white shirt on so I'm not sure if he was a regular employee. Anyways, I just told him that the shelf tags showed the .01 price and he scanned the rest.

When I got home, I checked the guides and noticed that the Assasin's Creed was only the LE artbook. WTF? In my moment of hapiness after finding AC, I didn't notice that the guide was missing. #-oIt was supposed to be bundled with the guide ala Army of Two, right?

For some reason, I feel cheated. :lol:[/quote]White shirts are trainee employees, most likely for the upcoming holiday shopping season. If you see one, they're not likely to know about penny guides and other things "normal" employees should (or might not) know about.

And yes, it's bundled together. It should be shrinkwrapped together with a piece of paper on the front of the guide talking about the bundled artbook and the BB exclusive extra.

If say a CC won't give guides that are marked out of system for a penny, how would I go about explaining the penny guide thing to an employee/manager. Once I tried with a Rock Band guide and the manager was just like "no, it's cover price, period." Should I ask em to call national or something? The CC near me has some SMG guides and I want one!

[quote name='JTHuffy']If say a CC won't give guides that are marked out of system for a penny, how would I go about explaining the penny guide thing to an employee/manager. Once I tried with a Rock Band guide and the manager was just like "no, it's cover price, period." Should I ask em to call national or something? The CC near me has some SMG guides and I want one![/quote]

If it scans at that price they should sell it to you.. some managers or employees are just jerk offs.

Try a different employee if they are giving you a hard time..or buy an item like a CD or another video game and the guide at the same time.. that way they wont notice odds are... then itll go thru.

Damn i missed this completely. Going to go after work.

I need a Final Fantasy Tactics guide and if possible
Assassin's Creed LE(hardcover)
Then i should be good

[quote name='JTHuffy']If say a CC won't give guides that are marked out of system for a penny, how would I go about explaining the penny guide thing to an employee/manager. Once I tried with a Rock Band guide and the manager was just like "no, it's cover price, period." Should I ask em to call national or something? The CC near me has some SMG guides and I want one![/quote]

I've tried a few different methods, and whenever the manager has that attitude, they never budge. What's worked best for me is having 3-4 guides, all of which actually ring up as a penny except the one that's OOS or needs to be bundled or whatever. Then, it's up to the cashier to decide whether to put it in manually as a penny or not. I've gotten OOS guides on 4 occasions at two different CCs doing this, and have only been stopped by a manager (the same one at a third CC) twice.

Hopefully you've left some other penny guides, so you can try this, otherwise I don't think the manager is obligated to sell it to you for a penny.

[quote name='Rave Child']I've tried a few different methods, and whenever the manager has that attitude, they never budge. What's worked best for me is having 3-4 guides, all of which actually ring up as a penny except the one that's OOS or needs to be bundled or whatever. Then, it's up to the cashier to decide whether to put it in manually as a penny or not. I've gotten OOS guides on 4 occasions at two different CCs doing this, and have only been stopped by a manager (the same one at a third CC) twice.

Hopefully you've left some other penny guides, so you can try this, otherwise I don't think the manager is obligated to sell it to you for a penny.[/quote]

Its a penny less they have to pay the banker to help their store outta debt :(

Just go back later and try it with different employees. You've got to remember that the whole concept of "penny guides" is to get them off the shelf and show that they've been destroyed so they can get credit back from the distributor/publisher. Technically, you're not supposed to be able to buy them in the first place.

However, I have had success explaining to a couple of employees that once a guide sits on the shelf for too long, it's marked down to a penny internally, so they wouldn't necessarily know about it. If they're cool with it, then they scan it and I'm off. If not, then the manager gets involved.... There's been a couple of instances when a fucking snot-nosed little punk manager/supervisor (we're talking 22-ish years old) swears up and down that they can't sell it for that price, even though that's the price it comes up as when scanned. I left those guides there and went back a month later to still find them on the shelf. (MAN I love BB). :lol:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, you've GOT to learn how to read people, and act accordingly. Waltzing in with an attitude of "WHY WON"T YOU SELL IT TO ME AARGH!" wont' get you jack s***. It never hurts to be "pleasantly surprised" if you bring up one guide, or if you bring up a stack, you'd better be on your absolute BEST behaviour. Most people at Best Buy could care less about these things, which is why BB is your best bet (unless you're in good with someone at GS).

tl;dr = try it again later, and be kind about it.

Yea, if you buy something else sometimes the cashier doesn't even blink. If you get the guides that scan as 'can only sell as bundle' or 'out of system' its hit or miss. One time the guy said he couldn't sell them to me, another time the woman there brought up the CC website on the terminal, looked up the items on the site and manually started putting in the full retail prices. She tried that for the guides that actually rang up as a penny too.

As for convincing them to give you the penny guides, I usually just play dumb and let them sort it out in their heads. Most of the time they just sell them for a penny and let me leave. If they tell me they cannot sell them I usually just say "Well, they scanned and came back with a purchase price, correct? Can't you sell it for that price?" Once the manager gets involved I'm guessing you are usually SOL if they don't honor the .01 price it rings up at.

In my experience, once the CC manager says no you can just go back later that day and get them from someone else.

For some reason, they think someone will want to buy it at retail, so they put it back on the shelf.

yeah, i haven't put up a stink about it, when they said it was cover price i just said i'll pass and put it back myself. i think the SMG guide is the only penny one CC has had recently based on the OP and the last several pages of this thread. does anyone know if it rings up as a penny or OOS? the person i tried buying it from said it was OOS, but it's entirely possible he was lying. i'm new to this penny guide thing.

in a semi-related note, i mentioned in a post last night that i made my first ever penny guide score last night at a Movie Gallery in a really tiny town. the manager i think is the only employee, the 3 or 4 other people that came in while i was there she all knew by name, and she was really nice. i asked how much the guides were, since i had no idea, and she scanned one (gears of war) and said it was ringing up a penny. my eyes lit up! i explained to her the concept of penny guides, since i've been keeping an eye on this thread for awhile, but have never actually found any penny guides, and she was just like "wow, sounds like you really know your stuff." sadly, they didn't have any good games worth buying, but she was really nice about it, i ended up getting all 9 guides she had that scanned a penny (she asked why get duplicates, and i said to give to friends that also have the games, and that was that). my penny-guide cherry has been popped!

[quote name='JTHuffy']does anyone know if it rings up as a penny or OOS? the person i tried buying it from said it was OOS, but it's entirely possible he was lying. [/quote]

It rings up as one penny, not OOS.

Got lucky, big racks, scored, etc.

Anyway, I just got back from the BB with a DMC4 for myself. I also came back with a pair of each the Phantom Hourglass and Assassin's Creed LEs. Now since I already have both... ;) Also, I found out the Mass Effect LE was $17.99. I could have sworn that pennied also, though...

[quote name='Chronis']Got lucky, big racks, scored, etc.

Anyway, I just got back from the BB with a DMC4 for myself. I also came back with a pair of each the Phantom Hourglass and Assassin's Creed LEs. Now since I already have both... ;) Also, I found out the Mass Effect LE was $17.99. I could have sworn that pennied also, though...[/quote]

Mass Effect LE only pennied at Gamestop. I seem to remember a few people reported it being $17.99 at Best Buy during this drop.

[quote name='Rave Child']Mass Effect LE only pennied at Gamestop. I seem to remember a few people reported it being $17.99 at Best Buy during this drop.[/quote]

I had it rung up last week when I (unsuccessfully) tried to get a hardcover SMG and PH, and it did indeed come up $17.99.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, I officially give up on the Assassin's Creed LE.[/quote]

i've had no luck at all with this one, either. most everything else, but not the one I want for myself. I take that back, I did manage to find a Burnout Paradise guide today. Time to dust off the old unplayed game.

I got lucky at one of my stores. WIll check another one tomorow if possible but I got extras of the following

Assasin's Creed LE w/ art book
Super Mario Galaxies LE
Bully Scholarship Ediiton X2
God Of War Chains of Olympus X9
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions X2
Orange Box X3
Devil May Cry 4 X4

Will be posting them in guide trading thread.

Picked up a SMG LE guide. At first, I wasn't sure what to do because the guide (last one) didn't have a price on it. I looked through the softcover SMGs and I found the sheet with the barcode on it (I guess someone took the plastic off the guide). The clerk at the register didn't care and just rang me up. Unfortunately, it was the only penny guide that they had.

I haven't had much luck at GS. Many of the GS in my area are getting a new rotating display for their guides. It looks like they removed all the penny guides when they stocked the displays. :cry:

One or two Assassin Creed's left in Fredericksburg Central Park location. The girl checking me out started to laugh when I used my BB credit card for my $.04 purchase...I told her I used the card so I could get my reward zone points!

Sorry I'm new to all this... But what do you guys do with all the extra guides you get? Ebay? Half price books? Sorry if this has already been discussed or if you guys don't talk about it, I skimmed the first page and didn't see anything besides the list of price drops.....

[quote name='DaDeuce']Sorry I'm new to all this... But what do you guys do with all the extra guides you get? Ebay? Half price books? Sorry if this has already been discussed or if you guys don't talk about it, I skimmed the first page and didn't see anything besides the list of price drops.....[/quote]

I make a throne out of them and sit atop it while drinking wine out of a chalice constructed from old penny guides.

Actually, right now they kind of sit in a corner. I put some up on Amazon, give some to friends, and others I have for trade fodder to put up on here.

I guess my BB didn't learn... I went back yesterday and picked up some remaining stragglers, namely Secret Codes 2008, Incredible Hulk, and some Pokemon guide (I haven't played a Pokemon game since BLUE - well, unless you count Snap for N64). I still left DMC4, Bourne, and something else on the shelf for others. The cashier called me a big spender when I pulled out a fat ol' nickle and told him to keep the change.

Hopefully the trend of letting guides chill on the shelves continues at my store...can't wait for the Mass Effect LE guide to drop sometime down the line!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, I officially give up on the Assassin's Creed LE.[/quote]

I think that was by far the toughest of the group. I saw none pennied, as a matter of fact I don't remember seeing any at full price either.

[quote name='DaDeuce']Sorry I'm new to all this... But what do you guys do with all the extra guides you get? Ebay? Half price books? Sorry if this has already been discussed or if you guys don't talk about it, I skimmed the first page and didn't see anything besides the list of price drops.....[/quote]

I looked into Ebaying them after I amassed a buttload of them, but like many others here I learned that the market gets flooded with them soon after a drop.

But I did sell the former buttload of them that I had to a local shop for around .25 each, which was 24x more than I paid, so I was happy to at least reclaim SOME $$$ from them.

However, many of us simply trade guides we have for guides we want. All it usually costs is around $3 or so in shipping, plus the cost of a bubble mailer($1 most stores) and some cardboard to pad the guide further during shipping(and prevent our mailman/mailwoman from trying to unceremoniously cram it into our mailbox and damage it).

However, if you run out of toilet paper, the extra guides also make great tp. :lol: Just kidding as the highly colorful pages would probably tattoo your ass with an imprint of whatever was printed on the page you're using.

Plus, I think the paper is too heavy and would clog your toilet/sewage system. Not that I've tried using pages from a guide as tp though. ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I looked into Ebaying them after I amassed a buttload of them, but like many others here I learned that the market gets flooded with them soon after a drop.

But I did sell the former buttload of them that I had to a local shop for around .25 each, which was 24x more than I paid, so I was happy to at least reclaim SOME $$$ from them.

However, many of us simply trade guides we have for guides we want. All it usually costs is around $3 or so in shipping, plus the cost of a bubble mailer($1 most stores) and some cardboard to pad the guide further during shipping(and prevent our mailman/mailwoman from trying to unceremoniously cram it into our mailbox and damage it).

However, if you run out of toilet paper, the extra guides also make great tp. :lol: Just kidding as the highly colorful pages would probably tattoo your ass with an imprint of whatever was printed on the page you're using.

Plus, I think the paper is too heavy and would clog your toilet/sewage system. Not that I've tried using pages from a guide as tp though. ;)[/quote]

Well my brother took in a buttload of crap guides to Halfpriced books and they gave him $1.25 each so he brang in like 20 penny guides so he was happy....

On a side not a Bestbuy me and my brother looted with this last drop I went again yesterday just browsing games and the "Blue Shirt" that harrased us on the original day we went made sure to come over and tell me that me and my brother can not longer get penny guides at this location because from now on they will be pulled and with the quantity me and my brother got the manager was pissed that we only got guides and did not purchase anything else... So in the future if we ever find the guides for a penny which he again stated they will be pulling them we can only get it for a penny if we get the game also....... Ok jerk off see you next drop.. :booty:

[quote name='Derrick1979']Well my brother took in a buttload of crap guides to Halfpriced books and they gave him $1.25 each so he brang in like 20 penny guides so he was happy....

On a side not a Bestbuy me and my brother looted with this last drop I went again yesterday just browsing games and the "Blue Shirt" that harrased us on the original day we went made sure to come over and tell me that me and my brother can not longer get penny guides at this location because from now on they will be pulled and with the quantity me and my brother got the manager was pissed that we only got guides and did not purchase anything else... So in the future if we ever find the guides for a penny which he again stated they will be pulling them we can only get it for a penny if we get the game also....... Ok jerk off see you next drop.. :booty:[/quote]

We don't have a Half Priced Books around here or I would've EASILY sold my 400 guides I sold to the local shop to them for OVER a buck each.

However, the good thing about retail is that MOST employees are only there for a short time and they either get fired or quit to work elsewhere.

Although, in your case, this was a manager you said? That's just bad karma right there to badmouth the manager. I actually had a LONG conversation with the one front end manager at my closest BB store a while back about how I was grabbing these to trade and so on.

He basically told me that if I found them on the shelf, I could have them at that price. Mind you, it's the other employees who usually end up being total dicks about not wanting to sell them.

I've hit various stores in 2-3 states at various times(not very often, if at all, anymore)and 2-4 of those stores have been varitable gold mines with stuff going back 6 months to a year. But the thing is, you have to take the guides out of there in small blocks, not grabbing an entire cart or three loaded to the brim with them.

That's what I did just recently when I nabbed over 30 guides from this recent drop. I went back in two or three times and I was cracking jokes with the clerks who rang me up. It helps to be friendly and not confrontational, since if you're being a dick about them not selling something they shouldn't even have on the shelf in the first place, then they have just as much right to be a dick right back.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']We don't have a Half Priced Books around here or I would've EASILY sold my 400 guides I sold to the local shop to them for OVER a buck each.

However, the good thing about retail is that MOST employees are only there for a short time and they either get fired or quit to work elsewhere.

Although, in your case, this was a manager you said? That's just bad karma right there to badmouth the manager. I actually had a LONG conversation with the one front end manager at my closest BB store a while back about how I was grabbing these to trade and so on.

He basically told me that if I found them on the shelf, I could have them at that price. Mind you, it's the other employees who usually end up being total dicks about not wanting to sell them.

I've hit various stores in 2-3 states at various times(not very often, if at all, anymore)and 2-4 of those stores have been varitable gold mines with stuff going back 6 months to a year. But the thing is, you have to take the guides out of there in small blocks, not grabbing an entire cart or three loaded to the brim with them.

That's what I did just recently when I nabbed over 30 guides from this recent drop. I went back in two or three times and I was cracking jokes with the clerks who rang me up. It helps to be friendly and not confrontational, since if you're being a dick about them not selling something they shouldn't even have on the shelf in the first place, then they have just as much right to be a dick right back.[/quote]

No it wasn't a manager he just said the manager was mad it was just a regular employee..

At a different location I looted on my own but got denied a ASS Creed LE from the manager... he came out to talk to me because I was walking with a big stack of guides...

He came up to me and said you look like a big spender today.. and said wow looks like a whole 15 cents lol.. So he said he did not care if I was buying the penny guides but took the AC one from me because he wanted it for himself. I was a little dissapointed because that was one of the main guides I wanted for myself on this drop but seeing he left me have all the other ones for a penny I was happy..

I usually hit 2 stores and the 3 one I randomly check never has guides for a penny because they actually do pull them but out of the 2 I frequent it is the one location that gives me hell on a regular basis and I think mainly because we beat the employees to the punch because you can see the look of amazement or anger when they see them at a penny and you know damn well they want in on the action.

So he said he did not care if I was buying the penny guides but took the AC one from me because he wanted it for himself.

And you just let him take it from you?

Scanned at CC on Monday:

Oblivion: GotY - $24.99
RS6V2: full price ($19.99?)
Mass Effect - full price
Lego SW: Original Trilogy - "bundled item"

[quote name='Derrick1979']Well my brother took in a buttload of crap guides to Halfpriced books and they gave him $1.25 each so he brang in like 20 penny guides so he was happy....

On a side not a Bestbuy me and my brother looted with this last drop I went again yesterday just browsing games and the "Blue Shirt" that harrased us on the original day we went made sure to come over and tell me that me and my brother can not longer get penny guides at this location because from now on they will be pulled and with the quantity me and my brother got the manager was pissed that we only got guides and did not purchase anything else... So in the future if we ever find the guides for a penny which he again stated they will be pulling them we can only get it for a penny if we get the game also....... Ok jerk off see you next drop.. :booty:[/quote]

huh i wonder if this is gonna end up being a nation wide thing where they try to rip u off and get u to buy the game to get the guide for a penny cuz the day after the drop last week one of the BB i went to was doing this and i laughed at him because the two other BB i just went to had no problem letting me buy a dozen or so guides!

[quote name='Derrick1979']At a different location I looted on my own but got denied a ASS Creed LE from the manager... he came out to talk to me because I was walking with a big stack of guides...[/quote]

See, that's where we differ, is that I'll go and check the guide racks and the ENTIRE STORE first to kind of scout it all out. Then, once I'm sure there are guides there, I'll go grab my ass a cart and walk back to the racks and just start loading up the cart with the main ones I want and the main trade fodder first(RPG, Zelda, etc).

If after the initial haul they don't try and stop me from buying them or give me some bullshit limit, then I'll go out to my car and load up the first batch and go back for MORE. :D

If I don't see any guides out that pennied or at least any that I wanted, I'll ask if they have them in any other locations FIRST. Then, if they tell me they don't, I'll ask if an employee can check the back for me.

I've scored the specific guides I was looking for from a drop that way in times past.

When I actually think about how overloaded their guide rack was at the one store I hit the other day and how there were HUGE gaps when I left, it still makes me smile. I hit them HARD for EVERY damn guide they had.

[quote name='sacreddoctor']huh i wonder if this is gonna end up being a nation wide thing where they try to rip u off and get u to buy the game to get the guide for a penny cuz the day after the drop last week one of the BB i went to was doing this and i laughed at him because the two other BB i just went to had no problem letting me buy a dozen or so guides![/quote]

About two years or MORE ago, I was out in Secaucus in NJ at a Best Buy and they had guides bundled with the games. Mind you, none of the games were good ones, but I found it funny that they bundled guides that had pennied with their respective games.

Of course, if MORE stores did that and actually did a good bundle with a real discount for buying both, I might buy more guides at full retail and not wait until they penny.

Speaking of which, I picked up the Little Big Planet guide today with some uber cheap GS credit I got from trading some cheap games from the Hollywood Video last gen $4 game sale. I figured this would be one guide I'd miss out on once it drops.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Come on Chronis, you're up to bat...:lol:[/quote]
LOL. :lol: Well, I guess when you've got guys like CheapestGamer hitting them hard and leaving a huge gap when he's done, managers need to protect their Ass Creeds.

For the most part, CAGs just trade/sale their extras with other CAGs who want them. Most guides are extremely common and abundant so outright selling them on like eBay probably won't net you that much. So by trading them, you have a better chance for getting something of value/usability then just selling them, especially if there was a guide you wanted that you missed. Obviously though, all guides are not created equal. Those hardcover Zelda guides will definitely have a higher worth than any random Madden guide you can come across.

Speaking of trading guides. What's a fair value to price it in a trade? What does it depend on for various pricing?

For example:
Can 4 guides that someone wants amount to a game that can be found at GS for $20?

I'm sure i'll get the answer "it all depends" but can a fellow CAG give me a general idea? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, that's where we differ, is that I'll go and check the guide racks and the ENTIRE STORE first to kind of scout it all out. Then, once I'm sure there are guides there, I'll go grab my ass a cart and walk back to the racks and just start loading up the cart with the main ones I want and the main trade fodder first(RPG, Zelda, etc).

If after the initial haul they don't try and stop me from buying them or give me some bullshit limit, then I'll go out to my car and load up the first batch and go back for MORE. :D

If I don't see any guides out that pennied or at least any that I wanted, I'll ask if they have them in any other locations FIRST. Then, if they tell me they don't, I'll ask if an employee can check the back for me.

I've scored the specific guides I was looking for from a drop that way in times past.

When I actually think about how overloaded their guide rack was at the one store I hit the other day and how there were HUGE gaps when I left, it still makes me smile. I hit them HARD for EVERY damn guide they had.

About two years or MORE ago, I was out in Secaucus in NJ at a Best Buy and they had guides bundled with the games. Mind you, none of the games were good ones, but I found it funny that they bundled guides that had pennied with their respective games.

Of course, if MORE stores did that and actually did a good bundle with a real discount for buying both, I might buy more guides at full retail and not wait until they penny.

Speaking of which, I picked up the Little Big Planet guide today with some uber cheap GS credit I got from trading some cheap games from the Hollywood Video last gen $4 game sale. I figured this would be one guide I'd miss out on once it drops.[/quote]

Funny, you mentioned Secaucus, NJ store as I just hit that one up tonight! Along with both Paramus stores & West Paterson. I actually asked in the one Paramus store if they had the Mario Galaxy hardcover & the guy brought 4 of them out from the back. :bouncy:

[quote name='xfade']Speaking of trading guides. What's a fair value to price it in a trade? What does it depend on for various pricing?

For example:
Can 4 guides that someone wants amount to a game that can be found at GS for $20?

I'm sure i'll get the answer "it all depends" but can a fellow CAG give me a general idea? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the guide. If it is sports game or license games, no. If it is RPG or good adventure game, maybe.

[quote name='shiningslade']Funny, you mentioned Secaucus, NJ store as I just hit that one up tonight! Along with both Paramus stores & West Paterson. I actually asked in the one Paramus store if they had the Mario Galaxy hardcover & the guy brought 4 of them out from the back. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Not worth sitting in that awful traffic on Rt. 4 and Rt. 17 to get that stuff. They really don't become penny guides when you factor in the gas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back