Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hellmutt']That guide dropped over a year ago.[/quote]

Somebody's Best Buy was on top of things. To the person asking how some people get (stacks of) pennied guides. This.

[quote name='Josef']So are you saying MGS4 LE was pennied at the Best Buy you went to today?[/quote]

It was still $29.99 at my BB.

roc's feather;5584507]You know I always read all these posts about cags getting up to the front register and being denied...but how do you guys even get to that point!!! The last 2-3 times for these bestbuy drops said:
If you're looking for BB drops, you just have to check the thread on Monday. Don't leave your computer until you see a post confirming "No drops today." If you even see one guide drop, run to your store and start price checking. I got most of my guides before the full list was posted here because I caught on that it was pretty much every Bradygames being pennied and I price checked guides accordingly.

[quote name='hellmutt']That guide dropped over a year ago.[/quote]

When I checked that guide about a month ago it was full price...so it just dropped at my Best Buy at least.

[quote name='Fayt13']Somebody's Best Buy was on top of things. To the person asking how some people get (stacks of) pennied guides. This.[/quote]

Actually there was only one copy of it and most of the penny guides were pulled, I'm just good at really going through ALL of the guides at the stores and sometimes there's the odd guide they missed. It'd be nice if I could find just one of each of the guides I really want, but instead I pick up 2 of each (if there's even two) and use the secondary to trade/sell while keeping one of the ones I want.

[quote name='Wolve11']Actually there was only one copy of it and most of the penny guides were pulled, I'm just good at really going through ALL of the guides at the stores and sometimes there's the odd guide they missed. It'd be nice if I could find just one of each of the guides I really want, but instead I pick up 2 of each (if there's even two) and use the secondary to trade/sell while keeping one of the ones I want.[/quote]

Ah alright, I just went with what Hellmutt said to be true. There are plenty of CAGs here though willing to trade penny guides though that's for sure, though I know it can be kinda a hassle.

I think I'm just lucky to have two Best Buys that don't seem to pull guides. I can probably go back to one tomorrow and pick up those Spore LE guides that I missed.

Damn. I was away for a day and this happens. I last checked this thread around 11 am yesterday so I didn't know that there was a drop. I'll go to my BBs tomorrow and see if there is anything left.

It sux when you want something and would like to trade but can't find anyone with the guide you want. Eternal Sonata did drop in price right? its not a full price guide right
I feel like I'm pulling teeth!

Eternal Sonata did drop. Those of us that managed to grab a spare are probably holding out for something great since it's semi-hard to find. It was pennied at Gamestop where lots of people have no luck. I haven't seen it in any stores in my area in Massachusetts or Florida.

Wow, my BB clerk was pissed when he scanned in my guides tonight. He muttered about a note from "way up" that they're not supposed to sell .01 guides...but there was nothing that can be done since I was at the register and the guides were scanned in already. I wish that guy was on duty during my last failed drop!

Got:

Bioshock (PS3/X360)
007: QoS
Elder Scrolls IV GOTY
...something else, too.

Still, he was plenty pissed and I was almost sure I wasn't going to get them.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Eternal Sonata did drop. Those of us that managed to grab a spare are probably holding out for something great since it's semi-hard to find. It was pennied at Gamestop where lots of people have no luck. I haven't seen it in any stores in my area in Massachusetts or Florida.[/quote]
Where did Eternal Sonata drop, GS? I wouldn't mind finding that if possible. Also, what is gamecrazy's policy on older guides? Do they ever reduce the prices before dropping them? I ask since my store's guide rack is usually loaded with guides. I don't mind paying for a little more for some RPG guides since I haven't had much luck lately with scoring penny guides.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Somebody bought 98 guides at the Bayshore store yesterday. THANKS LOCAL LURKERS.[/quote]

LOL, I just went there tonight and I only found bioshock and 007. There is like nothing left there.

I tried the third Best Buy I normally hit today and was denied on 3-4 copies of the Bioshock guide and 2 of the Fracture one and numerous other ones.

Oh well....

Went to the Best Buy tonight where I had good luck at the last drop, but it seems they've changed practices since then. Last time they had a table out that said that all guides on the table were a penny. Today? On a table that said "All items 50% off". They had all the latest drops, including Infinite Undiscovery, and surprisingly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Laaaame.

[quote name='Fayt13']Ah alright, I just went with what Hellmutt said to be true.[/QUOTE]

Check Post 2. It's listed for exactly a year ago on the 3/3/08 Best Buy Drop. (I know, I said OVER a year ago. Guess I was off by a day or so :D )

[quote name='Ryouko']Went to the Best Buy tonight where I had good luck at the last drop, but it seems they've changed practices since then. Last time they had a table out that said that all guides on the table were a penny. Today? On a table that said "All items 50% off". They had all the latest drops, including Infinite Undiscovery, and surprisingly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Laaaame.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they still would have scanned for a penny?

[quote name='Ryouko']Went to the Best Buy tonight where I had good luck at the last drop, but it seems they've changed practices since then. Last time they had a table out that said that all guides on the table were a penny. Today? On a table that said "All items 50% off". They had all the latest drops, including Infinite Undiscovery, and surprisingly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Laaaame.[/quote]

Did Smash Bros. drop as well?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Maybe they still would have scanned for a penny?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the pennied out ones would scan for a penny if Ryouko would go back to the store and try to get some of them. The penny ones would actually be half a cent (manual price adjustment of course) :)

[quote name='hellmutt']Check Post 2. It's listed for exactly a year ago on the 3/3/08 Best Buy Drop. (I know, I said OVER a year ago. Guess I was off by a day or so :D )[/quote]

okay, i believe you, but I really had that guide checked about a month ago and it came up as full price. I figured I'd try it today and it was $0.01
I don't know why this happened either.

The stickers on the "half-off" guides had the yellow highlighter through them, which at Best Buy always signals 50% discount. So even if they rang up a penny, I'm sure they would still price adjust. Since I went on Tuesday, I'm pretty sure someone would have already tried to do that. :p If they had succeeded I highly doubt they would have had the massive amount of guides they still had left.

Hit my local BB. The last drop they cleared the shelves. This drop, they had everything neat, tidy, and price marked $.01. They had almost everything, except for the one I really wanted IU.

Any Seattle area CAGs gotten $.01 guides from a BB that has IU in stock?

I hit another BB, they had way more guides then my local, but none were price marked. They had 100's of guides, I now know where to shop the next drop.

Anybody able to get Penny guides from Tacoma or Federal Way??

[quote name='Ryouko']The stickers on the "half-off" guides had the yellow highlighter through them, which at Best Buy always signals 50% discount. So even if they rang up a penny, I'm sure they would still price adjust. Since I went on Tuesday, I'm pretty sure someone would have already tried to do that. :p If they had succeeded I highly doubt they would have had the massive amount of guides they still had left.[/quote]

Bring two guides to the counter. When they both ring up a penny tell them you only bought 2 because you didn't have 1/2 a penny on you.

Game Crazy had a guide drop this morning. I didn't get the whole list, but the guy told me there were about 10-15 guides. I remember him saying Sonic, Eragon, Naruto, and an achievement guide, but since he knew I didn't want any of them, he didn't elaborate.

Anyone else want to confirm this? I have class in 20 minutes...

please keep us posted, last time I went there they were pulling a HUGE 18 foot (yes, I'm 6 feet and there was 3 piles as large as myself) of guides into the back. When I asked if I could take any, they said they had to send them back to wherever. A month and a half later I went back to the store and when the back area's door was cracked open I saw a smaller pile of the same guides still there. As long as I can get to the store before they pull them I may have a chance.

The very first time I tried to get guides from GameCrazy, it went very smoothly and the employee was very helpful. Ever since then, I've only run into people who've lied to me about the price and tried to pocket $5 or $10 from me. If I ever call them out on it, they're just like "oh yeah, we can't sell that to you, anyways," as if they didn't just try to sell it to me. :roll: Hopefully there are some good drops for you guys to get in on, but I'm not wasting my time.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Either this kid is the best liar I have ever met, or nothing is dropped at my GC. I had him scan every single guide in the store and none rang up for a penny.[/QUOTE]

My local (Sacramento) gamecrazy guides never drop to penny....
I think it varies by region?

[quote name='orion1998_1']World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Atlas
World of Warcraft: Master Guide

i can add these to the list, i got them this morning[/quote]

Is this Best Buy or Gamestop or Game crazy?

[quote name='perdition(troy']Either this kid is the best liar I have ever met, or nothing is dropped at my GC. I had him scan every single guide in the store and none rang up for a penny.[/quote]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/human.aspx?r=392398100&Arg12=filelist&Arg06=vt4
I checked prices at lunch today also and while I did not have the CSR scan every guide in the place;), I had him scan about 10 or so anticipated guides and all rang up regular price (at least that's what he told me).

[quote name='ackbar7']So I am guessing EvilIA is why I found no guides at the Tukwila BB[/quote]

I wish. I live in Gig Harbor and venture only to Tacoma. I work in Kitsap so I hit Silverdale now and then. Haven't been near Tukwila in ages.

:)

Edit: I should as I'm not a hoarder. I buy one copy of the game I'm interested in. I might get two if my friends want one. But this is only the second time I've bought penny guides. I tried last time and mine got pulled, as I stated. Hence why I was interested in if people bought at Tacoma and Federal Way with success.

I was at Puyuallup last night, so scattered and hard to find the guides, I left and didn't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PapaSmerf']
I checked prices at lunch today also and while I did not have the CSR scan every guide in the place;), I had him scan about 10 or so anticipated guides and all rang up regular price (at least that's what he told me).[/quote]

I figured I would just go all, I mean what did I have to lose :lol:

Responding to the post about gamecrazy drops being in specific to region, this specific gamecrazy has been very good to me with rare penny guides. I just was kind of surprised absolutely nothing was a penny. The angle I was at allowed me to occasionally see what it rang up as, and I looked at specific times (mostly when he scanned guides mentioned by the poster).

My usual BB had all the new drops restocked as of Sunday. Went back yesterday, nothing there.

Went to the "most hated" BB, where the guides seem to be pulled weeks in advance, found a bunch and was able to get 4 using the buy-something-else technique. The 50% off Anime works well with this.

[quote name='Ryouko']Went to the Best Buy tonight where I had good luck at the last drop, but it seems they've changed practices since then. Last time they had a table out that said that all guides on the table were a penny. Today? On a table that said "All items 50% off". They had all the latest drops, including Infinite Undiscovery, and surprisingly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Laaaame.[/quote]

Yeah I noticed that too.. Since youre in Texas I dont know if it was at the same one I went too. (Kinda off of Hulen) but I didnt try to scan them, I figured they knew what they were doing.. But none of the other BB did that in the area. So I hope it doesnt catch on..

Out of class now. Here's the list of guides from Game Crazy today:

Code and Cheats Summer 08
Command Conquer 3
Condemned 2
Eragon
God of War
Kane and Lynch
Mario Party 8
Medal of Honor Euro Assault
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2
Naruto Uzamaki Chronicles 1
Naruto Uzamaki Chronicles 2
NCAA Football 2008
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Oblivion Revised and Expanded
Pokemon Complete Pokedex
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts From the New World
Shadowrun
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic the Hedgehog
Timeshift
Video Game Acheivements

Odd, I checked Rogue Galaxy this week and it was still at full price. I am going back today to check it out again.

[quote name='cdul']Out of class now. Here's the list of guides from Game Crazy today:

Condemned 2
Eragon
God of War
Kane and Lynch
Medal of Honor Euro Assault
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2
Naruto Uzamaki Chronicles 1
NCAA Football 2008
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic the Hedgehog
Timeshift
Video Game Acheivements[/quote]

Thats odd, I had them check each of the ones I left quoted and none of them were a penny =\

guess i'll have to go back again tonight?

Second post is updated with the Gamecrazy drop and the World Of Warcraft guides are listed in the drop list for THIS week at Best Buy.

As for those saying that the guides were coming up as full price from GC. Did you see the screen when they checked the guide? If not, did you hear an unusual beeping noise from the computer when they scanned it?

If so, that may have been the computer bringing it up as .01.

I've heard an unusual beep before at BB when they've price checked a guide for me using the handheld scanners and it comes up .01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back